Very Lates News on Catillo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Very Lates News on Catillo

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2014/08/rusney_castillo_likely_to_play_in_minor_league_game" rel="nofollow">http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/clubhouse_insider/2014/08/rusney_castillo_likely_to_play_in_minor_league_game

I wish the game Sat was in Ft Myers but, alas, it is in Tampa

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

Re: Very Lates News on Catillo

this signing has Dice-K-esque mega-bust written all over it. overcompensation for losing out on the previous two, and then the assumption that the next option is necessarily better, just as good, or at least comparable.

this could very well be Ben's Carl Crawford, except that Crawford was/is a legitimate major leaguer, and it's quite possible that Castillo is not. will be fascinating for sure.

how many years until we make a decision? sure, i'll allow for 2 full years. so as of 2016, we'll know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

this signing has Dice-K-esque mega-bust written all over it. overcompensation for losing out on the previous two, and then the assumption that the next option is necessarily better, just as good, or at least comparable.

this could very well be Ben's Carl Crawford, except that Crawford was/is a legitimate major leaguer, and it's quite possible that Castillo is not. will be fascinating for sure.

how many years until we make a decision? sure, i'll allow for 2 full years. so as of 2016, we'll know.

[/QUOTE]

Dice K was a pitcher, remember? Anyway, i didn't see anything come out of my bank account, nor do I see anybody taking Betts' job in CF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why do you feel that Castillo will be a bust?  Most of the Cubans have turned out pretty well, so what leads you to believe Castillo will be the exception?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Farrell makes it official: Rusney Castillo will play for the GCL #RedSox on Sunday. Game 2 of GCL finals vs. #Yankees at the Fort.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10m per for a decent MLB player is no where near CC. Not even comparable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Castillo will debut in minors on Sunday

Rusney Castillo will make his minor league debut for the Red Sox on Sunday afternoon in a Gulf Coast League playoff game at the Fenway South complex in Fort Myers, Fla.

Castillo will play three innings in Game 2 of the GCL championship series against the Yankees. The game starts at noon.

The Cuban outfielder, signed to a $72.5 million deal this month, went through his third day of workouts on Friday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

All of the indications are that a pretty good caliber of baseball is played in Cuba. It is reasonable to think that the very best players from there should do well in MLB. I would think Castillo is worth the risk involved.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I don't see how it's humanly possible that Castillo will be worse than Crawful was as a RED SOX.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One analysis from FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/yasiel-puig-jose-abreu-yoenis-cespedes-rusney-castillo-cuba-international-market-082014" rel="nofollow">http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/yasiel-puig-jose-abreu-yoenis-cespedes-rusney-castillo-cuba-international-market-082014

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10m per for a decent MLB player is no where near CC. Not even comparable.

[/QUOTE]

If he ends up a decent MLB player.  If history is any precedent he will be, but this recent anomaly of every big name out of Cuba hitting has got to end at some point, I just hope Castillo isn't that end. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All of the indications are that a pretty good caliber of baseball is played in Cuba. It is reasonable to think that the very best players from there should do well in MLB. I would think Castillo is worth the risk involved.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

That's why I didn't really understand Chetgnat's negativity.  I don't know anything more than anyone else about Castillo, but basic math says if the first 5 guys are good, you stand a better chance of #6 being good.

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

In response to thread. Really?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Here's the boxscore for the Sat., 8/30 GCL game played between the GCL Red Sox and the GCL Yankees:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2014_08_30_rsxrok_yanrok_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

The International Picks and signings is the way to go. All it cost is money. You still keep your Draft Picks, and Prospects in Trades. You have to rely on GOOD Scouting and evaluations. That's why I miss Craig Shipley, he was the best for International Scouting for the Sox.
    Has anybody notice how Intense Theo has gone on the International Market, he has been huge at it since he took over the Cubs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Now the problem with this signing. The length, if he doesn't do well hard to Trade him, unless you eat salary, probably a lot. So its a gamble. Like it that he's faster than most Cubans, so should add a little threat on the bases.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

The International Picks and signings is the way to go. All it cost is money. You still keep your Draft Picks, and Prospects in Trades. You have to rely on GOOD Scouting and evaluations. That's why I miss Craig Shipley, he was the best for International Scouting for the Sox.
    Has anybody notice how Intense Theo has gone on the International Market, he has been huge at it since he took over the Cubs.

The New York Yankees have signed eight of the top 16 international prospects in this 2014 ranking at mlb.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.comT/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox have done very excellent in the last few years in international signees, in my opinion. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The New York Yankees have signed eight of the top 16 international prospects in this 2014 ranking at mlb.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.comT/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.comT/mlb/prospects/watch/y2014/#list=int

[/QUOTE]

It would have been 9 if the Yankees had not backed out of their deal with Brayan Hernandez.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

That's why I didn't really understand Chetgnat's negativity.  I don't know anything more than anyone else about Castillo, but basic math says if the first 5 guys are good, you stand a better chance of #6 being good.

I know I know

but obviously I couldn't resist

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

a baby with a gun that is going to attempt to shoot himself in the head playing Russian Roulette!

Oh man that sure was funny!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

a baby with a gun that is going to attempt to shoot himself in the head playing Russian Roulette!

[/QUOTE]

that's not exactly what I see but to each his own

personally I think U R wound a tad 2 tight

but I admit when it comes 2 being funny

that 'tazawa should B a starter' thread U started

trumps anything I got

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

that's not exactly what I see but to each his own

personally I think U R wound a tad 2 tight

but I admit when it comes 2 being funny

that 'tazawa should B a starter' thread U started

trumps anything I got

[/QUOTE]

If you think I am wound too tight then I am doing a lot better at messing with you than I thought. It is fun arguing with a man who writes like a lil' baby.

gaga googoo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have no issue with the price or signing at this point.  I do however have a few questions .......

#1 Where do Castillo, Betts, Craig, Shane, Nava, JBJ and Ces play in our OF?

#1 Does our FO plan on pursuing a Stanton type bat or are they satisfied with our OF depth? 

#3 Will we pursue a SS instead and what happens to Bogy, Marrero and Holt in this case?

#4 Will we pursue a 3B instead because it's our weakest position with Middy and Cecchini?

If the FO is satisfied with our current roster then we still have no real "Papi like" legitimate bat or protection for him.  So again it makes sense to pursue Adrian Beltre to play 3B for a couple of years then possibly extend him to replace Papi at DH.  Hanley?  any other proven ptions that can beef up our OBP and supply some power at 3B? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see how it's humanly possible that Castillo will be worse than Crawful was as a RED SOX.

[/QUOTE]

yeah not sure how anyone could be worse than Crawford.  Crawford was not a ML-caliber player during his time in Boston.  he may or not be one now, not sure, don't care, haven't followed. 

Sections
Shortcuts