Victor Who?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Victor Who?

The Sox catchers combined for a .793 OPS last year. In my preseason projections I suggested that Salty and VTek would probably come close to matching those numbers. Here are the numbers thus far:

Salty: .261/.327/.464/790
    VTek: .237/.316/.429/.745

Combined:
    HRs:  16
    RBI:   56
    Runs: 56
    2B:  23
    3B:  2
    Extra Base Hits: 41

Thats a pace of about 
    65 extra base hits
    25 HRs
    85 RBIs
    85 Runs

Their numbers since the beginning of May are awesome.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Victor Who?

Salty proved me wrong. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

VTek has proved almost everyone wrong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox catching is now 6th in MLB with a .768 OPS. 
    They are just .006 behind the Reds for 5th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

In Response to Victor Who?:
    [QUOTE]The Sox catchers combined for a .793 OPS last year. In my preseason projections I suggested that Salty and VTek would probably come close to matching those numbers. Here are the numbers thus far: Salty: .261/.327/.464/790 VTek: .237/.316/.429/.745 Combined: HRs:  16 RBI:   56 Runs: 56 2B:  23 3B:  2 Extra Base Hits: 41 Thats a pace of about  65 extra base hits 25 HRs 85 RBIs 85 Runs Their numbers since the beginning of May are awesome.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yes, but to be fair vmart had a .844 OPS last year and a .809 OPS this year. If he were retained and tek let go, the tandem of salty / vmart would have a higher OPS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Victor Who?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Victor Who? : Yes, but to be fair vmart had a .844 OPS last year and a .809 OPS this year. If he were retained and tek let go, the tandem of salty / vmart would have a higher OPS.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------[/QUOTE]

You don't know that for any number of reasons.  The first of which is that the Sox would not have Agon.  Case closed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : You don't know that for any number of reasons.  The first of which is that the Sox would not have Agon.  Case closed.
    Posted by jimdavis[/QUOTE]

Again you miss the point.

This is a thread about catchers' OPS, nothing to do with agon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

OPS quotes in a vacuum is what makes no sense.  As I said, you don't know what Victor's stats would look like.  That's like saying that a guy thrown out at 3rd would have definitely scored if he remained at second.  The whole scenario changes and no assumptions can be made.  BTW, Victor is no catcher...that's the point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Victor Who? : Yes, but to be fair vmart had a .844 OPS last year and a .809 OPS this year. If he were retained and tek let go, the tandem of salty / vmart would have a higher OPS.

1) Unlike your Yankees, we have a budget ceiling. Keeping VMart would have meant not having someone else.

2) VMart is no longer a FT or even half Time catcher. He's more like a 25-30% catcher.

3) VMart's numbers as a catcher this year are:
      .267/.317/.311/.628

While thos numbers are worse than VTek's, I am not saying VTek is a better hitter than VMart. VTek does get much more out of his pitchers than VMart has ever done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]OPS quotes in a vacuum is what makes no sense.  As I said, you don't know what Victor's stats would look like.  That's like saying that a guy thrown out at 3rd would have definitely scored if he remained at second.  The whole scenario changes and no assumptions can be made.  BTW, Victor is no catcher...that's the point.

Well we do know that he had a .844 last year. And to think he wouldn't outperform tek at bat as the backup catcher is laughable at best. Obviously no one can guarantee that but you and I both know chances are he would.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The Saltalamachia and Varitek figures are exceptional after May 15th. NESN postgame was just stating those figures. The splits are probably available online.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : You don't know that for any number of reasons.  The first of which is that the Sox would not have Agon.  Case closed.

AGON was coming to Boston even if they did retain Martinez... now Crawford would have been a totally differnt story !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Anyway... I am happy that Salty and Tek are performing well and hope they keep it up !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]OPS quotes in a vacuum is what makes no sense.  As I said, you don't know what Victor's stats would look like.  That's like saying that a guy thrown out at 3rd would have definitely scored if he remained at second.  The whole scenario changes and no assumptions can be made.  BTW, Victor is no catcher...that's the point.

Yes, we have no way of knowing what VMart's numbers would have been here this year, as a 40-70% catcher. This thread wasn't meant to be about VMart: it was about this year's catchers doing a fine job this year, and great job since about May 1st. They are probably going to do better than our catching combo last year (that included low 3rd catcher numbers from Cash).

Let's celebrate their good fortune, and not harp on what might have been.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : 1) Unlike your Yankees, we have a budget ceiling. Keeping VMart would have meant not having someone else. 2) VMart is no longer a FT or even half Time catcher. He's more like a 25-30% catcher. 3) VMart's numbers as a catcher this year are:   .267/.317/.311/.628 While thos numbers are worse than VTek's, I am not saying VTek is a better hitter than VMart. VTek does get much more out of his pitchers than VMart has ever done.      

Small sample size of 25 games for him at catcher this year. Plus I do believe that fenway has the reputation as a more hitter friendly park then comerica. Combined with the better lineup that the sawx have I would imagine vmarts numbers would be better if he were in a sawx uniform. My opinion of course.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : Small sample size of 25 games for him at catcher this year. Plus I do believe that fenway has the reputation as a more hitter friendly park then comerica. Combined with the better lineup that the sawx have I would imagine vmarts numbers would be better if he were in a sawx uniform. My opinion of course.

The overall point here is that the Red Sox haven't downgraded much at catcher and were able to spend that money elsewhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : The overall point here is that the Red Sox haven't downgraded much at catcher and were able to spend that money elsewhere.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]

YES!  And VMart's price tag was more of an issue for years 3 & 4, not 2011.

Look at how well our staff is doing with all the DL stints. I know many of you don't believe in catcher relevance (or CERA), but I think our tandem catchers are doing better than last year's crew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : Yes, we have no way of knowing what VMart's numbers would have been here this year, as a 40-70% catcher. This thread wasn't meant to be about VMart: it was about this year's catchers doing a fine job this year, and great job since about May 1st. They are probably going to do better than our catching combo last year (that included low 3rd catcher numbers from Cash). Let's celebrate their good fortune, and not harp on what might have been.
    Exactly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : The overall point here is that the Red Sox haven't downgraded much at catcher and were able to spend that money elsewhere.

I understand that....but to title the thread as Victor Who? is kinda calling out vmart when he was a productive player for the sawx.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

yup....on a very overpaid unproductive corner OF'er with little pop. Tongue out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You know I actually agree with Babe on this one.  Vmart would likely (all things considered) be having a much better system at fenway. 

However I didn't see him as being a viable option behind the plate long term and he is much older than Salty.  I'm more than happy with Salty behind the plate and have enjoyed watching him progress this year. 

Anyone catch him and Lackey sharing some laughs today??? just an observation to consider when also acknowledging how that battery has worked out lately....seems like Salty is gaining the trust of the staff. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : yup....on a very overpaid unproductive corner OF'er with little pop. 

That remains to be seen...

Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Victor Who? : Small sample size of 25 games for him at catcher this year. Plus I do believe that fenway has the reputation as a more hitter friendly park then comerica. Combined with the better lineup that the sawx have I would imagine vmarts numbers would be better if he were in a sawx uniform. My opinion of course.

Can you enlighten us with the statistics for the three Yankee catchers this season? You do still follow the Yankees, don't you. It's a tough life making sub sandwiches, watching two channels at once, and posting in two forums at the same time. A friend of mine was in your shop last week and ordered a mixed sub and you gave him a tuna sub. Multi-tasking may not be your forte.