Victorino - Help me out here

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Victorino - Help me out here

Victorino, he has been extremely injury prone to say the least, was activated from the disabled list for the second game of Saturday's doubleheader.

He did not play on Sunday because it was a "scheduled" day off. Really? After being out for 17 days or so, he has a scheduled day off? Why not just shelve him until after the All Star break. He's not really needed at this point and the odds are very very good that he will be injured within the next week.

Waste of $39M.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Victorino - Help me out here

It was a scheduled day off--day game after a night game and to see if there was any tightness--he was just on the DL for a couple of weeks and he played a pretty good CF and did some running and sliding--to say nothing of the fact he's a major investment for the team and Ells was rested from Sat night, Carp and Nava have been hitting well--I'm out of breath and it was a long run on sentence.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great OP.  Major blunder by Farrell because the Sox really missed Victorino on Sunday and barely won 10-5.  

Reality is that right now Farrell can go with an all righty or all lefty outfield, but usually will start Ellsbury even against lefties.  Except Saturday when Vic started with Gomes and Nava in the nightcap.  

Right now he is unwilling to vary the infield even though Carp is available at 1B against righty starters, which is fine with me.  

Nothing better for a manager than to have good options.  This should continue when Middlebrooks returns.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Victorino, he has been extremely injury prone to say the least, was activated from the disabled list for the second game of Saturday's doubleheader.

He did not play on Sunday because it was a "scheduled" day off. Really? After being out for 17 days or so, he has a scheduled day off? Why not just shelve him until after the All Star break. He's not really needed at this point and the odds are very very good that he will be injured within the next week.

Waste of $39M.

Ok Let me start off by saying I don't disagree whole heartedly with what you are saying.  Victorino has been on and off the field lately, and if it continues it will make this signing look awful.  Which to me is a shame because he looked really good starting the year off.

But keep in mind when guys get injured it's not as if they sit on the butts and watch T.V. all day.  Often they are working very hard to rehab their injury, and often working out very vigoursly the other muscles in their body to stay in shape and prevent muscle atrophy.

So between rehabbing, and several games in the minors he has likely not had a day off in much longer than we precieve.  Yes he has had a day off from the game, but the muscles, joints, and tendons in his body don't know the difference.

From someone who has worked in the health field as a trainer and worked with many athletes before I can tell you this is not out of the ordinary and actually a very smart thing to do to prevent a possible relapse. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Waste of $39M.

So, you're upset that he got Sunday off, but you want to sit him until the ASB because the Sox don't need him.

Help me out here...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Waste of $39M.

Probably because he was to play one game then be re-evaluated afterwards to see where his injury was. Sounds pretty routine to me, to be expected and with precedent. Not worth starting a thread over unless you have a sincere question about why it was done, which this isnt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Waste of $39M.

So, you're upset that he got Sunday off, but you want to sit him until the ASB because the Sox don't need him.

Help me out here...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah 4B, I was scratching my head on that one too...Undecided

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Waste of $39M.

Help me out here...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah 4B, I was scratching my head on that one too...Undecided

[/QUOTE]

After watching Victorino score with a grimace on his face in the previous game, I'm not a bit surprised he got the day off, scheduled or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In fact it is safe to say we can only dream about Elles having the kind of career Shane has had. 

I really like Shanes charactor too.  He seems like a good classy guy, the kinda guy that really makes it easy to root for him when he is doing well....which is why I was very happy when he had a strong start to the year.  

If he comes back and plays healthy and gets in around 130 games this year I don't think anyone will be complaining......well....I'm sure a few will be. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In fact it is safe to say we can only dream about Elles having the kind of career Shane has had. 

If you take his triples, homers, doubles, and stolen bases he practically had half his hits as extra base... not even Manny did that.

I think its smart to just let him rest up and heal completely so theres no issues going forward. Seeing him tweak that hammy rounding 3rd yesterday wasnt good.

I agree Burr. I LOVE this guy. Hardly a waste of $$$ for what he brings to the table.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

• Day game after night game
    • Just coming off the DL
    • Righty on the mound

You really only need one of those reasons to justify sitting him. and there are three.

Why wouldn't you pack your lineup with lefties v Blanton?  Seriously, you don't show a lick of BB sense.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I'd bet Middlebrooks sits tomorrow. He will also not play Victorino/Ellsbury every game in Tampa because of the artificial turf

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

• Day game after night game
    • Just coming off the DL
    • Righty on the mound

You really only need one of those reasons to justify sitting him. and there are three.

Why wouldn't you pack your lineup with lefties v Blanton?  Seriously, you don't show a lick of BB sense.

That's pretty clear and succinct, JB.  ADG should thank you for helping him out.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Victorino isn't going anywhere soon, especially if Ells moves on which he will.  I see the Sox making Ells an offer but it won't be anything near what Ells is offered by others.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Waste of $39M.

Oh my.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Waste of $39M.

Victorino has added more to the team than just playing time.  ANd when he's been on the DL, it has been a superb opportunity for the rest of the team to play and measure up.  It has allowed Daniel Nava full time playing opportuinities that otherwise would have been missed.   Nava has turned out to be one of the GREAT surprises this season.  No more platooning for the best switch hitter in the AL ...

This team on the offense and defense, aside from Pedey and Papi, have been able to mix and match and come out a sum that is greater than it's parts.   Pedey has been an iron horse and Papi has been the whole team of clydsdales since coming back from injury ...

The people of Philly absolutely loved Victorino.  That is something hard to accomplish.  He was a spark to the Phillies and his biggest negative was injury. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Only a brain challenged dofus like ADG would question Victorino's signing and his heart/play...

As always - 100% correct!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Already has an fWAR of 1.5 (=$7.4m).  Waste of money as his batting average is only...zzzzzzz.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

[QUOTE]

Waste of $39M.

Victorino has added more to the team than just playing time.  ANd when he's been on the DL, it has been a superb opportunity for the rest of the team to play and measure up.  It has allowed Daniel Nava full time playing opportuinities that otherwise would have been missed.   Nava has turned out to be one of the GREAT surprises this season.  No more platooning for the best switch hitter in the AL ...

This team on the offense and defense, aside from Pedey and Papi, have been able to mix and match and come out a sum that is greater than it's parts.   Pedey has been an iron horse and Papi has been the whole team of clydsdales since coming back from injury ...

The people of Philly absolutely loved Victorino.  That is something hard to accomplish.  He was a spark to the Phillies and his biggest negative was injury. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess the people of Philly are no match for ADG.  Has he ever expressed a love for anything?  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think the Sox are paying him too much, but I have to admit he is much better than I expected--switch hitter, great bunter, terrific range in the outfield, terrific arm, and not half bad hitting in the two slot.  He looks pretty healthy right now, but it's early.  The day off made a ton of sense to me.