Victorino - Injury after Injury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Victorino - Injury after Injury

Left the game yesterday with another injury, his hamstring this time. What is with this guy?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Victorino - Injury after Injury

Its from the back injury. It happens sometimes when you hurt your back.

Either way, yeah, not good. Maybe he should DL for 15 days and let it fully heal and bring up Bryce Brentz for a couple weeks. All the airplane travel cant be doing it any good either.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Lest we forget why he went down, he became an absolute liability at the plate. 

There is absolutely NO POINT in brining JBJ back up until they get the 'down and in" hole in his swing cured.  I don't know if it's been cured yet or not. I haven't seen him either in person or on tv, but you can bet that the scouting department knows.

If the Sox want to bring him up the problem then becomes clearing a spot on the 25 man roster for him.  Assuming Ells stays with the team, Lava is the starting LF and Vic the starting RF, whose spot would you clear, Gomes or Carp?  Or to ask the question another way, which would you keep in the hope that the one you release is worse than JBJ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The sample size on JBJ was too small to determin if it was a "hole in his swing" or just a slump or rookie jitters.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Lest we forget why he went down, he became an absolute liability at the plate. 

There is absolutely NO POINT in brining JBJ back up until they get the 'down and in" hole in his swing cured.  I don't know if it's been cured yet or not. I haven't seen him either in person or on tv, but you can bet that the scouting department knows.

If the Sox want to bring him up the problem then becomes clearing a spot on the 25 man roster for him.  Assuming Ells stays with the team, Lava is the starting LF and Vic the starting RF, whose spot would you clear, Gomes or Carp?  Or to ask the question another way, which would you keep in the hope that the one you release is worse than JBJ?

JBJ is already on the 40-man roster S5. Brentz would require they clear a spot. Id still rather see what Brentz has, if indeed this happens. They could just transfer Hassan to the 60-day DL to make room. No problem.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The sample size on JBJ was too small to determin if it was a "hole in his swing" or just a slump or rookie jitters.

I think he got fooled a lot and had trouble with certain pitches and certain areas of the plate. Im guessing thats what S5 means by "hole in his swing"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

JBJ is just coming off an injury so I doubt we will see him anytime soon up here.  I agree that Brentz would be solid.  I do wish that Vic can stay on the field though.....other than Pedey he seems to be the biggest spark plug on this team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Aw, c'mon.  If you watched the games you saw that (essentially) EVERY pitch he saw during his last two weeks at the ML level was down and in.  Say what you want about small sample size but when pitchers all pitch him down and in and his BA circles the drain during that time it must tell you something!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Aw, c'mon.  If you watched the games you saw that (essentially) EVERY pitch he saw during his last two weeks at the ML level was down and in.  Say what you want about small sample size but when pitchers all pitch him down and in and his BA circles the drain during that time it must tell you something!

Yup. He couldn't lay off those pitches and looked bad swinging at them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Which brings us back around to whether his problem was getting fooled on the pitches or a hole in his swing.  You know what?  I don't care which it was because the outcome (and the solution) is the same.  And FWIW I don't have any unrealistic expectations.  I'm aware that some of the best LH hitters in the game have trouble with that pitch.  But things HAVE to improve for him in that area. 

When he starts either laying off those pitches or starts hitting them he'll be ready to come back up.  Until then he'd be a liability to the team.

I'm hoping it's sooner rather than later.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Which brings us back around to whether his problem was getting fooled on the pitches or a hole in his swing.  You know what?  I don't care which it was because the outcome (and the solution) is the same.  And FWIW I don't have any unrealistic expectations.  I'm aware that some of the best LH hitters in the game have trouble with that pitch.  But things HAVE to improve for him in that area. 

When he starts either laying off those pitches or starts hitting them he'll be ready to come back up.  Until then he'd be a liability to the team.

A little of both, I guess.

If he can't get his hands inside the the low, inside strikes, that's a hole.

If he can't lay off the low inside balls, that's pitch selection.

He had trouble with both.

Hopefully, it's something he's working on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I would think that even in AAA they got the book on him and would be giving him a good dose of those pitches. I dont know for sure because I havent seen him live yet. If they are, then it would appear hes done better. Id still go with Brentz right now though. I wanna see how his bat plays in MLB and JBJ just got back from the DL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I would think that even in AAA they got the book on him and would be giving him a good dose of those pitches. I dont know for sure because I havent seen him live yet. If they are, then it would appear hes done better. Id still go with Brentz right now though. I wanna see how his bat plays in MLB and JBJ just got back from the DL.

Yup, the only hangup is the roster thing that someone (you, possibly) mentioned.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yup, the only hangup is the roster thing that someone (you, possibly) mentioned.

I though we could shift Hassan to the 60-day DL, but just realized hes going to make his way back to AAA within a couple weeks. So unfortunately, unless they DFA or trade someone, Brentz is probably not coming up to Boston.

Personally, Id DFA Ciriaco and put Brentz on the roster. You can always use Holt for a UI since hes already on it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

he is an aging OF'er who's game is based on speed not power.  legs, knees, back will be problem areas for him for the entire 3 years we $pent for him.  the only hope is that he stays healthy enough to play.  as stated, back injury leads to leg injuries as your body compensates and puts more strain on ligaments. 

as much as he has stepped into Boston and played pretty well,,,,this may end up being a terrible contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Left the game yesterday with another injury, his hamstring this time. What is with this guy?

well troop, you and I both know that the physical condition of your average major league baseball player doesn't even come close to the physical condition of your basic 11bravo in the field. agreed?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

well troop, you and I both know that the physical condition of your average major league baseball player doesn't even come close to the physical condition of your basic 11bravo in the field. agreed?

i'm not sure it even comes close to your average golfer.

to my average golfer??????????????????

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Umm, when papi is in a slump, he swings and misses at everything down and away- sometimes in the dirt.

I call that a slump- not a permanent hole in his swing.

Look, I'm not saying JBJ didn't have a hole in his swing, but the sample size was too small to see if an adjustment could have been made, or if it was indeed a serious hole or just a mini slump.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In his 12 game sample with the Red Sox, even though he didn't have time to adjust, he still managed to get on base against pitchers who had no fear of him swinging the bat and doing anything with the ball off the bat.

Huh?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree with the obsevations you guys make.

Ellsbury initially had a weakness for low, inside stuff.  Now? who knows?  I do know that his legs aren't the same as they used to be.

Ciriaco can't hit a curve...period.

Sections
Shortcuts