Victorino is the player Ells has long been promised to be???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Victorino is the player Ells has long been promised to be???

21 fewer games, and VIC is schooling Ells :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Victorino is the player Ells has long been promised to be???

Some of the same people that complained about $13M a year for Shane, want to give Ellsbury $20M per.

Go figure.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ells :  123 games.  47 RBI's, .297.  .348.   .750 ish. OPS

Vic :     99 games.  48 RBI's,  .289, .343.    .750 ish. OPS

How 'bout AB's?

Unbelievable break on balls hit to RF!!!!  Runs down anything hit his way!  Throws LIKE A MAN! (That foul ball throw from the RF pole in LA to home plate may ????  Have been the wrong play to make the catch, but that throw to home was MANLY)  Has plenty of speed!

I love this guy!  Way under-rated!  & he's KILLING the ball from the right side of the plate :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They are teammates who are supposed to compliment each other. What is the point of trying to pit them against each other ?   They are both contributing to a winning team. That is how it should be.  I fail to see a problem here. Are we supposed to root for one over the other? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

They are teammates who are supposed to compliment each other. What is the point of trying to pit them against each other ?   They are both contributing to a winning team. That is how it should be.  I fail to see a problem here. Are we supposed to root for one over the other? 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Just having fun dgale 

Just trying to get a rise.  I love Ells!  Just wish I could see your passion in him a bit more often.  

This was really a shot across the bow against the Vic bashes.   i.e.    The Stiff One

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Then again.....  Stiffy would no doubt agree that Vic has outdone Ells with fewer games.

Tough to match Ells once on base!!!!!  He may be one of the best base stealers EVER!   

It will be SAD to see him go!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Felger & Mazz:   Hayman, a Boris guy, says the RS want Ells @ about the BJ Upton money.  $75 over 5

Mazz is correct, saying he will get 18 x 6 @ about 108M

Felger says Ells gets 20 x 6

If you're the RS GM, how high do you jump?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from one-for-the-road. Show one-for-the-road's posts

what if they dont jump?

they need money for a 1B and Shane can handle CF

they would still have Nava in a corner, and Gomes and JBJ can alternate in the other

oh well, you can always go cheap with the 1B (k. morales?) and break the bank on Ells

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I'm thrilled to have both of them.  Right now.  While they're both healthy enough to play.  Enjoy it while it lasts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Honestly imo, this just makes it easier to hopefully bring up JBJ next year, and hit JBJ 9th in the lineup and Victirino in the Leadoff spot and not worry about him. I'm sure the Red Sox will sign someone as insurance incase JBJ struggles or Victirino gets injured, possibly Grady Sizemore on a minor league deal?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Shane is a "local Hawaii" kid....

Having grown up near Boston, but lived in Hawaii for 26+ years, I can say that a lot of the local kids here have a strong loyalty to their team, school, etc. I think that the whole upheaval with the Phillies affected Shane like it would any local Hawaii kid. That was perceived as part of his "decline". Now that he has a home, he is performing as well as he is able for his new Ohana (family in Hawaiian). 

I wish him continued success. He is sparking many rallies and I also like his arm (how bout that cut off and throw to rob a double during the last Dodgers game?) Just think that Cherrington put together a good team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

The brightest star in the RS lineup despite injuries. What has this guy not done for this team?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

21 fewer games, and VIC is schooling Ells :)

He's schooling everyone including Ortiz who is 2 for his last 18.  Despite "schooling" Ells, Ells will still get his asking price.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I rememeber everyone (well not everyone) wrote Shane Victorino off because he had a down season.  I was in here saying that he had down numbers in half a season in which he was injured and there was just as good of a reason to believe he would bounce back this year. 

Now of course with his age regression is always a plausible scenario, but I hate how people always assume that after one half bad season of injury.  Just as often if not more we see players recover.  I didn't know for a fact he would recover and generally be the same player but I had a hunch, and I'm glad a advocated it and have enjoyed watching him play this year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

+100

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

peas and carrots

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:

what if they dont jump?

they would still have Nava in a corner, and Gomes and JBJ can alternate in the other

oh well, you can always go cheap with the 1B (k. morales?) and break the bank on Ells

You dont think the Sox would go over the tax line for one year knowing they would easily reset in 2015 with the amount of $$$ coming off the books? I think they would if it came to that. Its not a hard ceiling of 189M. There will be some slight penalties depending how far we go over, but if they are within 200M I dont see that much of a problem if it means a significantly better option at a certain position.

Gomes/Nava will and should be the platoon. JBJ, Vic will be full time players.

Id offer Ells 16/6. One more year and 1M more than Upton.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I believe Pedro Martinez said before the season started that Red Sox fans were gonna love Victorino and the way he plays the game. He got that right. His fielding alone is enough to get excited about. Fun player.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I made a thread or post on this about 2 months ago... if you look at Shane's career it is exactly the type of career you wanted/hoped Elles would have. Exactly.

Why people/media gave Shane the declining forecast alah Mike Lowell upon his arrival is beyond me. All players have down years and that is all it was for Victorino in 2012, a down year.

When we signed Shane, I was more worried about his severe lefty-righty splits and the 3rd year being past prime.

He also hasn't been the picture of health this year, so the age issue has, so far, proved to be a legitimate concern.

BTW, Victorino did not just have one bad year, he had 2 out of his previous 3 seasons significantly below his career norm. That was cause for concern. When we signed Shane, his career OBP was .340. It was .327 in 2010 and .321 in 2012. That may not seem extreme, but when you are batting 2nd, it should be better.

Shane's fielding has been better than I expected, and I expected pretty darn good in RF. His .346 and rising OBP is what I expected this year, but not in 2015. If he keeps up his current pace, I'll have to, once again, admit I was wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to one-for-the-road's comment:

what if they dont jump?

You dont think the Sox would go over the tax line for one year knowing they would easily reset in 2015 with the amount of $$$ coming off the books? I think they would if it came to that. Its not a hard ceiling of 189M. There will be some slight penalties depending how far we go over, but if they are within 200M I dont see that much of a problem if it means a significantly better option at a certain position.

Gomes/Nava will and should be the platoon. JBJ, Vic will be full time players.

Id offer Ells 16/6. One more year and 1M more than Upton.

It may not be so "easy to reset" in 2015, when we have to replace so many significant players. How much will it cost to replace Papi? Lester? Peavy? Uehara?

Your point is valid though; we may go over next winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I made a thread or post on this about 2 months ago... if you look at Shane's career it is exactly the type of career you wanted/hoped Elles would have. Exactly.

Why people/media gave Shane the declining forecast alah Mike Lowell upon his arrival is beyond me. All players have down years and that is all it was for Victorino in 2012, a down year.

When we signed Shane, I was more worried about his severe lefty-righty splits and the 3rd year being past prime.

He also hasn't been the picture of health this year, so the age issue has, so far, proved to be a legitimate concern.

BTW, Victorino did not just have one bad year, he had 2 out of his previous 3 seasons significantly below his career norm. That was cause for concern. When we signed Shane, his career OBP was .340. It was .327 in 2010 and .321 in 2012. That may not seem extreme, but when you are batting 2nd, it should be better.

Shane's fielding has been better than I expected, and I expected pretty darn good in RF. His .346 and rising OBP is what I expected this year, but not in 2015. If he keeps up his current pace, I'll have to, once again, admit I was wrong.

I'd say Shane's injuries have more to do with how he plays, than age.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Nice post. I'm happy to have both of these guys at the top of the lineup and running downs drives to the outfield. I'll be rooting for them to continue to play well and to be paid well. If that happens, the Sox will be contenders in the post-season and I increasingly like their chances when they get there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ok....

Forget everything I said...  That's why Ells helps us win LATE IN THE GAME!!!!!

Love this guy!  Sucks it up!  Stays in the game.....  Steals 2nd......  Scores the tying run.

:)

Victorino sucks!  ;)

Sections
Shortcuts