Victorino is the player Ells has long been promised to be???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Victorino is the player Ells has long been promised to be???

Let's face it.....   Ells is the man!  We need to just give him the 20M/yr, 6 yr deal & be done with it....

This Oregon boy can play in Boston.  Rare commodity!

Go OSU baseball :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Starting point? 

Seriously???

We already gave you that. 

THE STARTING POINT is 16M x 5 years, & that's a LOW BALL!

Ells WILL GET 18 x 5 minimum!  90M  THIS IS THE REAL STARTING POINT.

Is it WAY OVER-UNFLATED?  Of course!!!!  CF are WAY OVER-inflated.  Especially a LO +.300 guy with speed to burn.  Sorry!  He's at the top of the market   Tier 1. 

Sounds crazy?  Sure!  It is what it is.   Sox want to keep him?  90+ Million! for STARTERS!

Most bball people say it will take 18m/yr. x 5 years minimum!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

J. Ellsbury, CF 5 0 0 0 0 0 2 .297 .354 .418 S. Victorino, RF 4 2 2 1 2 1 0 .296 .349 .453

I'm just saying......   One just keeps on helping us WIN!!!!

For short money I might add........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

One thing that Victorino is clearly better at is laying down an occasional sacrifice bunt. Last night in the bottom of the 6th after Middlebrooks singled to center with noone out Ellsbury squares to bunt and can't get one down. We were up by a run and it was a perfect time to sacrifice and go for an insurance run, especially with Ellsbury struggling against a left handed pitcher. Usually Ellsbury squares to bunt and doesn't attempt to lay one down but this time he offers at a pitch up in his eyes and makes a terrible effort. My take is he should try this more often, even try to occasionally try to bunt his way on, because we may need him to lay one down in the postseason. In the end he swung at a wild pitch and struck out. It was a pretty dreadful at bat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i just love VICTORINO when he signed with boston i was so pumped...alot of people on this board was saying this was bad..he is old... he's done....3 for 39mil.  this is to much...i just had to laugh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

One thing that Victorino is clearly better at is laying down an occasional sacrifice bunt. Last night in the bottom of the 6th after Middlebrooks singled to center with noone out Ellsbury squares to bunt and can't get one down. We were up by a run and it was a perfect time to sacrifice and go for an insurance run, especially with Ellsbury struggling against a left handed pitcher. Usually Ellsbury squares to bunt and doesn't attempt to lay one down but this time he offers at a pitch up in his eyes and makes a terrible effort. My take is he should try this more often, even try to occasionally try to bunt his way on, because we may need him to lay one down in the postseason. In the end he swung at a wild pitch and struck out. It was a pretty dreadful at bat.

I still love Ells as a CF'r & leadoff guy.  While we all know he throws like a little girl, his +.300avg., good OBP & OPS, his ability run down anything catchable, his SB's & the pressure it puts on opposing pitchers, SPEED TO BURN,  and runs scored makes him a uniquely gifted FA with top tier market value.  Thus, we will likely be outbid. 

As for the NON-mutually exclusive false comparison to Vic????  Just having fun :)  While Vic is giving the Sox every bit of his 13M/yr, he's no substitute for Ells. 

If the Sox could pick up Ells with a 16ishM/yr. x 6yr deal, circa 100Million 6yr deal, they need to go for it.  I believe his athletic build will hold up over that time period, and become a bargain 2 or 3 years out.  He will still be highly productive at 35 - 36 in year 6.

I go as high as $17 x 6yrs @ 102M

Do I start bidding into the $18M x 6 that it will likely cost?????  Where does it end?  IDK

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/alex-speier/2013/08/28/overpay-bargain-shane-victorinos-contract-reco

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

[QUOTE]

I still love Ells as a CF'r & leadoff guy.  While we all know he throws like a little girl, his +.300avg., good OBP & OPS, his ability run down anything catchable, his SB's & the pressure it puts on opposing pitchers, SPEED TO BURN,  and runs scored makes him a uniquely gifted FA with top tier market value.  Thus, we will likely be outbid. 

As for the NON-mutually exclusive false comparison to Vic????  Just having fun :)  While Vic is giving the Sox every bit of his 13M/yr, he's no substitute for Ells. 

If the Sox could pick up Ells with a 16ishM/yr. x 6yr deal, circa 100Million 6yr deal, they need to go for it.  I believe his athletic build will hold up over that time period, and become a bargain 2 or 3 years out.  He will still be highly productive at 35 - 36 in year 6.

I go as high as $17 x 6yrs @ 102M

Do I start bidding into the $18M x 6 that it will likely cost?????  Where does it end?  IDK

[/QUOTE]

i agree 100%

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

One interesting development re Victorino has been his batting right-handed.  He's always been better from the right-side, and this year he's been terrific - regardless of whether he's facing righties or lefties.  He's in a park built for RH hitters, and he's apparently feeling well enough to switch sides, but feels more comfortable from the right now.  

I remember wishing Varitek, when he struggled, would just turn around and bat right-handed.  I can't help but wonder if this is more than just a nice stretch for Victorino, but he's found something that will help take his career to the next level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

i just love VICTORINO when he signed with boston i was so pumped...alot of people on this board was saying this was bad..he is old... he's done....3 for 39mil.  this is to much...i just had to laugh.

I also loved the Vic signing from day 1.  This guy can outplay J.D. Drew in RF, & that's really saying something.  Say what you will about J.D., & I have, the guy was a GREAT RF'r!!!!!  Vic makes J.D. look like he was playing in slow motion.  He's got a cannon to boot!

GREAT SIGNING!!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

I also loved the Vic signing from day 1.  This guy can outplay J.D. Drew in RF, & that's really saying something.  Say what you will about J.D., & I have, the guy was a GREAT RF'r!!!!!  Vic makes J.D. look like he was playing in slow motion.  He's got a cannon to boot!

GREAT SIGNING!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

yes i remember you backing the victorino signning...ells and victorino in the OF...i don't want to see it end...look at what they are doing...sign ells.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

One interesting development re Victorino has been his batting right-handed.  He's always been better from the right-side, and this year he's been terrific - regardless of whether he's facing righties or lefties.  He's in a park built for RH hitters, and he's apparently feeling well enough to switch sides, but feels more comfortable from the right now.  

I remember wishing Varitek, when he struggled, would just turn around and bat right-handed.  I can't help but wonder if this is more than just a nice stretch for Victorino, but he's found something that will help take his career to the next level.

I could not agree enough!!!!!  Felt the same way about Tek!!!!!!!

In fact, I think Nava should give this a go also.  I've read that he's tried it in the past, college, & felt completely at a loss.  He needs to put in some practice time, as this could push him to another level also.

LOVE seeing Vic hit from the right side, no matter who he's facing!!!  Man!  Can he turn on a ball!  Great to see!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

GREAT SIGNING!!!! 

yes i remember you backing the victorino signning...ells and victorino in the OF...i don't want to see it end...look at what they are doing...sign ells.

In contrast to an unproven FA signing for a CF'r, WE KNOW Ells can & WILL play in Boston at a very high level.  I know the power has disappeared for the most part, but it will return.  You don't have his kind of bat speed & completely lose your power. 

BRING BACK THE REVERSE PIVOT SWING!!!!!!  The power returns, & Stiffy goes mad having to watch it for 162 games.  Does it come back at 32 dingers per season?  NO!  But 20/season is not unrealistic.

The BIG QUESTION.......  How high do you go if you're BC????

$18 x 6 is about my max!  Tough call, as you just know somebody is going to go close to $20M/yr, 5+ years.  If somebody goes $20M/ 6+, they are stark raving mad!  The OF market is insanely over-inflated!

p.s.   I must admit.......   My HIGH for Ells was at about $15 / 5 back in June.  Wow!  What a difference a couple months can make.  The Boras philosophy will pay off again.  God I hate him!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

FTR there was once a thread or something that asked who would you like to have on this team. I said Victorino because he reminded me of the Idiots. I saw a game where he was miced(sp) and he was hilarious. A total goofball. I'm sure JH & Co. read my suggestion and made it happen. You're welcome.