Victorino wins gold glove

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Victorino wins gold glove

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 8m

Victorino is the winner in right field. Well deserved.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Victorino wins gold glove

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 8m

4th Glove Glove for @ShaneVictorino. First in RF.

Collapse

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 4m

#RedSox were right in their belief that Victorino's CF-level defense would make a big difference in RF, especially at Fenway.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

man...and we could have had Josh Reddick.

It has been a lot of fun watching Victorino this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 19m

Adam Jones of Orioles wins the Gold Glove CF. Ellsbury was a finalist.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

And Pedroia wins at 2B

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 3m

Pedroia wins the Gold Glove at 2B.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m

Third career Gold Glove for Pedroia. Would venture to say that this was his best defensive season.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The Gold Glove is like many other things. We applaud it when our guy wins. We deride it as dumb and biased when our guy does not win. Victorino and Pedroia are terrific defenders. Are they better than all the others at their position? I really don't know. Have to wonder how many games , of all the teams, the voters have actually seen. Anyway , congratulations to Shane and Pedey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Gold Glove is like many other things. We applaud it when our guy wins. We deride it as dumb and biased when our guy does not win. Victorino and Pedroia are terrific defenders. Are they better than all the others at their position? I really don't know. Have to wonder how many games , of all the teams, the voters have actually seen. Anyway , congratulations to Shane and Pedey.

[/QUOTE]

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 51m

Hard to get too fired up about the Gold Gloves given how bad voting has been in the past. But Pedroia and Victorino have excellent cases

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Agree-with-Dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There must be a hundred threads from last winter where forum regulars were bashing the Victorino signing. They were all confident, all knowing, and adamant that Cherrington was a bozo for signing him.  Have they admitted that as armchair GMs that they are only expressing their agenda ( trolling) and know very little about baseball?

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

I like Victorino and especially his defense, but thought the 3rd year was too long and his issues vs LHPs were troubling.

Not all of us who are occaisonally critical are trolls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Gold Gloves are a joke.  The fact that Chris Davis was a candidate to win the award at first base and Napoli was not is proof of that. 

That said, they sometimes get it right, as in the case of Pedroia and Victorino.

I know, I sound like a homer.  But the numbers back me up.

Here's a good synopsis:

http://www.fangraphs.com/community/2013-gold-glove-awards-strictly-by-the-numbers/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

There must be a hundred threads from last winter where forum regulars were bashing the Victorino signing. They were all confident, all knowing, and adamant that Cherrington was a bozo for signing him.  Have they admitted that as armchair GMs that they are only expressing their agenda ( trolling) and know very little about baseball?

I admitted I was wrong.

I like Victorino and especially his defense, but thought the 3rd year was too long and his issues vs LHPs were troubling.

[/QUOTE]

They are to PIKE, moon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

You may still not be wrong Moon. I too thought that the deal was a year too long, and I still do. Lets see what he does in year 3. If he is as good then as he is now then we both should admit we were wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-second-baseman-dustin-pedroia-right-fielder-shane-victorino-win-gold-glove-awards?ymd=20131029&content_id=63495576&vkey=news_bos

Pedroia, Victorino snag Gold Glove Awards

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Shane Victorino ‏@ShaneVictorino 2h

Incredibly humbled to join list of @RedSox #RawlingsGoldGlove winners. Grateful for my teammates & coaches this year! Focused on tomorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

You may still not be wrong Moon. I too thought that the deal was a year too long, and I still do. Lets see what he does in year 3. If he is as good then as he is now then we both should admit we were wrong.

[/QUOTE]

If they win one of the next two games, then the deal is already a great move, as he is a huge reason why this team is where it is right now.  Cleveland offered him 4 years & more money, so the Sox weren't going to be able to land him on a 2 year deal.  I think the deal is already worth it, even if they don't win the Series, as this year has been great for most Sox fans.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If they win one of the next two games, then the deal is already a great move, as he is a huge reason why this team is where it is right now.  Cleveland offered him 4 years & more money, so the Sox weren't going to be able to land him on a 2 year deal.  I think the deal is already worth it, even if they don't win the Series, as this year has been great for most Sox fans.

[/QUOTE]

You beat me too it.  A 3rd year might be moot.  He had a 5.6 WAR in his first season.  Using $5M/win, he's earned $28M for the RS.  I'm not crazy about that type of calculation, but if we win the WS, and he has a mediocre season in 2015, he wouldn't even have to show up in his 3rd season and his signing would still be justified.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You beat me too it.  A 3rd year might be moot.  He had a 5.6 WAR in his first season.  Using $5M/win, he's earned $28M for the RS.  I'm not crazy about that type of calculation, but if we win the WS, and he has a mediocre season in 2015, he wouldn't even have to show up in his 3rd season and his signing would still be justified.

[/QUOTE]

The other big concern with the signing was his age and health.

He has not been all that healthy this year.

I think his defense has been fantastic, but I feel it overinflates his WAR.

He has more than earned this year's salary, but I don't see the $28M value.

I'm glad he is on our team, and I hope he is healthier next year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Joe.  He did all of the little things that don't show up on a "stat sheet" all year long.  Another key reason they signed him was because they were trying to trade Ellsbury at the time.  They were talking to Philly about a package that including Ellsbury for Cliff Lee.  Victorino gave them a ton of flexibility because he could play all 3 outfield positions at a high level. They obviously weren't going to give Ellsbury away, but the Victorino signing gave them options.  

Besides, signing a guy who just turned 32 to a 3 year deal isn't all that risky, even though he's always going to miss games because he plays with reckless abandon. Throw in the fact that he is the type of player with the kind of character who the Front Office knew would strive in a place like Boston, and the deal was a no-brainer, at least for the people who get paid to make personnel decisions. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've never respected this award since the last Jeter election and the time they gave the 1B GG award to a DH (Palmeiro in 1999).

Shane was the best fielding RF'er this year, but the Gold Glove Awards are a joke.

(Note: I don't respect the MVP either after Pedro was snubbed in 2000 after the most dominating season any MLB player has ever had in my lifetime.)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admitted I was wrong.

[/QUOTE]

I believe his issues were with RHP.  Shane has always murdered lefties.

He showed us why this year, too.  Shane is another switch hitter who probably should not be...

Sections
Shortcuts