Vin Scully

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Vin Scully

I have the MLB package, and the man is a treasure to listen to; he still goes it alone, with enthusiasm and chock full of anecdotes on the opposing players and teams. (His production team excepted)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Vin Scully

dang...you scared me with the title....i thought he had passed.

i have had the package via directv since '99.  i absolutely agree with you 1 million percent.  i cannot tell you how many dodgers games i have watched over the years just to hear him.  unfortunately he rarely goes to away games anymore and sometimes the mlb package only shows the other teams feed.  but i always try and listen for at least an inning or two when Vin is on the mic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

"BEHIND THE BAG!!!!!!!!!!............."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

MLB primarily shows the Home Team broadcasts (National broadcasts excepted), which is all he does anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i have had the package via directv since '99.  i absolutely agree with you 1 million percent.  i cannot tell you how many dodgers games i have watched over the years just to hear him.  unfortunately he rarely goes to away games anymore and sometimes the mlb package only shows the other teams feed.  but i always try and listen for at least an inning or two when Vin is on the mic.

I'll third that.  I don't have the MLB package but at the conclusion of the Sox game I'll often check to see if any station is carrying the Dodgers late game and if so I'll listen to Scully for as long as I can stay awake! 

In this day of every broadcast team needing to have a play-by-play guy and a color guy I find it amazing that Scully can do it alone, seamlessly, and so well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

No kidding!

I was afraid to open this thread.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I'll third that.  I don't have the MLB package but at the conclusion of the Sox game I'll often check to see if any station is carrying the Dodgers late game and if so I'll listen to Scully for as long as I can stay awake! 

In this day of every broadcast team needing to have a play-by-play guy and a color guy I find it amazing that Scully can do it alone, seamlessly, and so well. 

And with no bombast or bragodocio, as you see so often today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

holy toledo, me too..don't start threads with a name of an older player/announcer/manager/coach/actor...we immediately think
    oh no!...Vin is just an amazing talent, always has been.

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

No kidding!

I was afraid to open this thread.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Love listening to Scully whenever I get the chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Agree 100%, and as good as he is now, he is no longer what he once was. 

The old time announcers knew the broadcast was about the game.  As I kid, once Ken Coleman and Ned Martin (and later Jim Woods) signed off, I would travel the radio dial for other games.  I routinely got to hear greats like Harry Kalas and By Saam in Philly, Bob Prince in Pittsburgh, Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey out of Detroit, Chuck Thompson out of Baltimore, and when the weather conditions were right, Marty Brenneman out of Cincinnati and Jack Buck out of St. Louis.  All with different styles but great in their own way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Scully is the greatet, no doubt. And he's still great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Vin Scully is to Dodger baseball as Johnny Most was to Celtic basketball. A very gentle soul whom I have met on several occassions. I was at his last broadcasted spring training game in Vero Beach,Fl and sat with him while he was choking back tears, because his team the Dodgers were no longer going to be coming to his favorite place to relax. If anyone has never listened to his Dodger broadcasts I urge you to do so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's hard to believe how long ago it was when Vin Scully last did the NBC Game of the Week with Joe Garagiola, and Sculley was a long-time veteran then.

(Although as an aside, I liked it when Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek did the NBC Game of the Week).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I guess I'm the odd 'man' out.  I don't like listening to him because he puts me to sleep.  I'm old school but he is a bit to old for me.

I know I left the door wide open here but I'm sure my good friends will be kind to me Laughing

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I guess I'm the odd 'man' out.  I don't like listening to him because he puts me to sleep.  I'm old school but he is a bit to old for me.

I know I left the door wide open here but I'm sure my good friends will be kind to me Laughing

Oh what the he!! do you know.Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like ken coleman. I like joe costiglione too because he let me see his ws ring when he was at camden yards, pretty cool!!  I think all those diamonds, rubies and saphires are just wasted on a man's finger.  I asked him if I could have his ring, he just laughted.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like ken coleman. I like joe costiglione too because he let me see his ws ring when he was at camden yards, pretty cool!!  I think all those diamonds, rubies and saphires are just wasted on a man's finger.  I asked him if I could have his ring, he just laughted.

For baseball, Ned Martin remains No. 1 in my book.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

For baseball, Ned Martin remains No. 1 in my book.

[/QUOTE]

Good pick!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Vin is still great to listen too. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

It's hard to believe how long ago it was when Vin Scully last did the NBC Game of the Week with Joe Garagiola, and Sculley was a long-time veteran then.

(Although as an aside, I liked it when Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek did the NBC Game of the Week).

If you really want persepctive on how long Scully has been doing games, he was the junior member of the BROOKLYN Dodgers broadcast team for the 1951 playoff with the Giants (Bobby Thompson).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

If you really want persepctive on how long Scully has been doing games, he was the junior member of the BROOKLYN Dodgers broadcast team for the 1951 playoff with the Giants (Bobby Thompson).

He was also a broadcaster for the NYY in the 1940s.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nobody is perfect...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nobody is perfect...

LOL FourBs, he just went down a couple of notches in my book...

Seriously though, having the MLB package, I have to listen to a lot of other team's announcers, and most of them are extremely annoying.  Scully is one of the rare exceptions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Nobody is perfect...

LOL FourBs, he just went down a couple of notches in my book...

Seriously though, having the MLB package, I have to listen to a lot of other team's announcers, and most of them are extremely annoying.  Scully is one of the rare exceptions.

[/QUOTE]

You cant be referring to Hawk Harrelson! LOL

Scully is the best, IMO.

I don't get to hear him enough.

One of the "modern day" announcers I like is ESPN's Dave O'brien.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Nobody is perfect...

I believe the Russians said something similar about Ali being American when he visited them in the 70s.