Vindication

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Vindication

Folks, the bottom line is Terry Francona lost the team. Whether or not it was his fault is beside the point. When that happens, a change has to be made. I liked Tito, but it was time to move on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Vindication:
    Pitching is a HUGE problem...the biggest long-term issue. Harmony and teamwork will be sorted out one way or another in the off-season by Theo or his replacement, and the new Mgr will probably lay out the new ground rules to the miscreants. BUT...who's gonna pitch well? In Response to Re: Vindication :
    Posted by PetesCall

Don't forget that a big slice of the pitching problem was losing Bucholz. That will remedy itself on it's own. With him in the rotation, I think it could take some stress of the other guys. However, that being said, picking up one #2/#3 type starter this offseason would be a good idea--just to be safe. Beckett, Lester, new 2 or 3, Bucholz, Lackey, is doable.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Vindication :  LOL... No pitching, WOW !! The real problem wasn't that they couldn't pitch as much as they obviously didn't want to pitch !! Now if someone could answer why a bunch of guys decided they didn't want to play, or stay in shape, or not drink, for a guy that was voted #2 as the manager everybody wanted to play for, then you will be closer to a solution for this problem that culminated by an historic Sept. MELTDOWN. My guess is Upper management and the owners already know the answer and that is why they let Tito go !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

Agreed, sadly, but agreed. The fire just wasn't there, and that's a big part of the manager's job. Motivation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Vindication : wow - the pot calling the kettle black!  Pete obviously doesn't read/listen since he missed the point of my post altogether, that being that NOBODY here had stated "that it was time for Tito to leave" except for the blind Tito bashers who loved sitting on their couches and 2nd guessing every move that didn't work out as a manager mistake. Wanting the manager gone from day 1 and being his time to leave are two totally different things!
    Posted by Soxdog67

Ahem, well, actually I've been a Tito supporter for the whole time he's been here, and I posted that it might be time for him to go about three weeks ago when it was clear he was losing the team. It was just time. I like the guy, and before this year have rarely questioned his moves, but this year he started losing it. It just wasn't the same.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Vindication : Ahem, well, actually I've been a Tito supporter for the whole time he's been here, and I posted that it might be time for him to go about three weeks ago when it was clear he was losing the team. It was just time. I like the guy, and before this year have rarely questioned his moves, but this year he started losing it. It just wasn't the same.
    Posted by TheExaminer

OK TE, then you were the exception! If that was your position then obviously were ahead of the curve.

With 3 weeks to go what exactly was going on that led you to believe it was time for him to go?? They were still solidly in the WC spot then, even though the cracks in the dam were growing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Sox fans who dislike Francona, probably hated Grady Little and will dislike the new manager as well because fans are right and managers are wrong. Fred from Fall River (name changed to protect the innocent) obviously knows the baseball far more than Francona because while Francona wasted time with the Phillies, Fred coached the Blues (Bayside Little League Champs 1983). Example, a manager takes a pitcher out, the reliever gives up a homer, the fan yells "Why didn't you leave the starter in the game?!?!" Fan right, manager wrong. I can't wait for the PSCHULLERS of the world start whining about __________. I will be vindicated in June 2011.
    Posted by Wolfpack13

Actually, you will be waiting a long time, because I have never whined about anything related to the Sox and never will. I have from time to time stated that Drew didn't seem to care and certainly never produced the way he was paid to, that Paps tends to panic in big situations and go exclusively to his fastball, and that Francona was, among other things, a poor field manager. Go ahead, read my posting history. As Ring Lardner used to say, "You could look it up." Your perception of "whining" must be, as psychologists would say, merely a projection of your own thoughts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

pschuller...come on man use just an ounce of common sense here...nobody ever claimed he would be literally picked up the next day after leaving the Sox...the common sense message is that he'll get hired by another team before spring training 2012, if he is inclined to manage next year. That is the common sense definition of getting hired right away!!

I love that people start posts in an attempt to toot their own horn, but in reality make them look silly.

Soxdog67, I think you missed the point. Indeed, it is not commen sense to think he would be hired right away, which means that those Tito supporters who made that claim (once again, not me!) were using some form of hyperbole to make their point about how great a manager he is. You OK with that? So now, when I acknowledge that he of course was not immediately hired to manage next year, I am merely making the point that Tito supporters are as prone to exaggeration and hyperbole as are his detractors.

As to your suggestion that I started this post to toot my own horn, think what you will, though I can assure you that in this particular case you are wrong. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

pschuller...come on man use just an ounce of common sense here...nobody ever claimed he would be literally picked up the next day after leaving the Sox...the common sense message is that he'll get hired by another team before spring training 2012, if he is inclined to manage next year. That is the common sense definition of getting hired right away!! I love that people start posts in an attempt to toot their own horn, but in reality make them look silly. Soxdog67, I think you missed the point. Indeed, it is not commen sense to think he would be hired right away, which means that those Tito supporters who made that claim (once again, not me!) were using some form of hyperbole to make their point about how great a manager he is. You OK with that? So now, when I acknowledge that he of course was not immediately hired to manage next year, I am merely making the point that Tito supporters are as prone to exaggeration and hyperbole as are his detractors.   As to your suggestion that I started this post to toot my own horn, think what you will, though I can assure you that in this particular case you are wrong. 
    Posted by pschuller

Fair enough pschuller, I now understand your intent! I take back the tooting the horn part of my post.

My guess is even the most ardent tito supporter would have the common sense to not state that the guy would be hired by someone else the day after he left the Sox...alhough there are those here that certainly like to generalize things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Thanks. Interestingly enough, I think I heard the bit about Tito being "unemployed for all of ten minutes" as much from some guys in the media as on this Board.

Sections
Shortcuts