VMart + Beltre = JBJ, Barnes, Swihart, and Owens

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

VMart + Beltre = JBJ, Barnes, Swihart, and Owens

Some posters who spam this board with OPs were all for keeping these two!

JBJ came from a Beltre pick.  He has been great in Texas, but leaving space for AGon got the Sox off the Crawford hook.  

Masterson has been average since he netted VMart.

Theo did pretty well on these moves, so far!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: VMart + Beltre = JBJ, Barnes, Swihart, and Owens

DAD & BILL-806 concur with this thread !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

JBJ came from a Beltre pick.  He has been great in Texas, but leaving space for AGon got the Sox off the Crawford hook.  

Hi Tom, 

Having Beltre would be great but knowing JBJ was a result of Beltre leaving softens the blow. As for Masterson he's has one very good season in Ceveland and two and a half seasons of nothing but mediocrity with the Tribe. At 27-28 he could still mature into a very good pitcher, but only time will tell. Some fans I've noticed seem to long to have him back which I cannot see the reasoning. We've good young pitchers on the way as a result of the Dodgers trade and other maturing at the lower levels. I'm for developing talent in house with wise draft picks like Tampa has been doing. Masterson is in Cleveland and I'm not for trading to get him back. 

Hetch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hi Tom, 

Having Beltre would be great but knowing JBJ was a result of Beltre leaving softens the blow. As for Masterson he's has one very good season in Ceveland and two and a half seasons of nothing but mediocrity with the Tribe. At 27-28 he could still mature into a very good pitcher, but only time will tell. Some fans I've noticed seem to long to have him back which I cannot see the reasoning. We've good young pitchers on the way as a result of the Dodgers trade and other maturing at the lower levels. I'm for developing talent in house with wise draft picks like Tampa has been doing. Masterson is in Cleveland and I'm not for trading to get him back. 

Hetch

The reasoning seems pretty simple to me. Some "fans" live to bash Ben and will seize any opportunity to do so.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Comp picks don't always work out.....I'm sure the Sox would love to have the Vitek pick back

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Great Post & GREAT MOVES.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Hey Hetch,  Theo's early year moves paid off big time, but in his last few years he lost his way.  That being said, the events cascading from trading Masterson look great in hindsight.

The Dodger pitching prospects you mention and getting Crawford off the books were possible because off the AGon trade.  

The whole series off moves on balance look great now:

-Masterson/Hagadone for VMart:  VMart was good for Bos and then take the picks.  Many called for VMart to move to DH to replace Ortiz in '12 or '13.

-Kelly/Rizzo for AGon: Rizzo looks a keeper but AGon netted the Dodger pitching prospects you mention and got Crawford out of town.

-Beltre for $9 (+$1M):  Awesome year and then JBJ and Swihart.  

Didn't the poster who plays a lawyer online have the same opinion as this guy?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/525784-victor-martinez-detroit-bound-what-were-the-red-sox-thinking

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember, we also go this for letting these guys walk:

Ellsbury & Lowrie (Melancon then Hanrahan) for O Cab

Hansen (part of Manny deal for J- Bay, then  see what we got for Bay below) & Bowden for D Lowe

Buch for Pedro

Bard for Damon

Hagadone (part of VMart trade) for Gonzo

Brentz & Workman for J-Bay

Vitek & Ranaudo for Billy Wagner

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What if re-signing Beltre meant keeping Rizzo?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Remember -- one reason the Sox didn't re-sign Beltre was that he wanted long-term deal, which turned out to be this year. The Sox had Middlebrooks who was due this year when Youk's contract ran out, which is a reason they moved Youk to 3B.

Personally, I would have rathered that in addition of not re-signing Beltre (because of the four years; 2 years I would have kept them) that the Sox found a short-term corner infielder to play 1B with Youk at 3B or 1B with Youk going to 3B instead of trading for A-Gon and waiting for Rizzo to be ready.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Remember -- one reason the Sox didn't re-sign Beltre was that he wanted long-term deal, which turned out to be this year. The Sox had Middlebrooks who was due this year when Youk's contract ran out, which is a reason they moved Youk to 3B.

Personally, I would have rathered that in addition of not re-signing Beltre (because of the four years; 2 years I would have kept them) that the Sox found a short-term corner infielder to play 1B with Youk at 3B or 1B with Youk going to 3B instead of trading for A-Gon and waiting for Rizzo to be ready.

In 2010, Middlebrooks was putting up a .770OPS in A ball. I doubt he had any impact on the decision. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In 2010, Middlebrooks was putting up a .770OPS in A ball. I doubt he had any impact on the decision. 

Maybe not specifically, but I think he was on the radar -- maybe not two years away -- along with Rizzo, and the baseball ops people still were looking more at the youngsters.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Rizzo is a full year younger than Middlebrooks...

Sections
Shortcuts