Vote for Salty in 2013!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Vote for Salty in 2013!

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

....so I have no problem with Salty being our primary catcher next year.

Especially since we aren't going anywhere next year anyways, have 2 nice catching propsects in the wings, and have 1 more season to see if Salty continues improving on his defense.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

People are in such a rush to replace an average, to above average, catcher. Few better options exist in the league, and only ONE has been recently available, and I don't think anyone is tripping over themselves to take on Mauer's contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

....so I have no problem with Salty being our primary catcher next year.

Especially since we aren't going anywhere next year anyways, have 2 nice catching propsects in the wings, and have 1 more season to see if Salty continues improving on his defense.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

People are in such a rush to replace an average, to above average, catcher. Few better options exist in the league, and only ONE has been recently available, and I don't think anyone is tripping over themselves to take on Mauer's contract.

[/QUOTE]

...and if you look at some of the "better" offensive catchers, some are old and should begin to decline, some are really DH/1B types, and others had career years this year. (as did Salty)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The catching position is the hardest one to improve on. If a team has an AS catcher. Posey/Y.Molina/McCann/Weiters, they are NOT parting ways with them.

Our catching situation is improving. is salty a great defender? No, but he has noticably gotten better since his arrival in Boston. As far as cs% goes...its more about the pitcher IMO. Salty has one arb year left and is not a liability behind the plate. We should have a clearer picture of the catchers position going forward AFTER the 2013 season. Then we can move forward with it.

catcher is the least of our offseason worries this year.

[/QUOTE]

I liked Tek when he was younger and see some similarities between he and Salty.  

The difference being, In 1998Tek was 27, he hit 269 with 20 HRS and 70RBI'S after catching at least 100 games in his second season.  During the next 8 seasons from 1999 to 2007 his average only dipped below 255 twice with his BA peaking in the 290's twice. 

What was his OBP? .309 his first season then never below .325 until 2008 with his best year reaching 390.  Teks SO to BB ratio was around 2 to 1 most of his career.  Even in Teks last year he never SO four times more than he walked, or had a lower OBP than Salty's first two seasons.  Tek was considered an above average catcher because his skill set was well rounded even though his arm was average.  In other words he was an assett not liability to our team.

Salty will be 28 next May.  So far, while catching at least 100 games Salty has yet to raise his BA above 235 or OBP over 300.  Salty has also SO four times more than he walks.  Can Salty still mature into another Tek?  maybe, but I really hope this time next season we don't just talk about his defense improving a bit, or "his one" outstanding offensive SLG stat against RHP. 

With that said, may the best man win but anyone we sign long term as our catcher needs to give us more production.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The catching position is the hardest one to improve on. If a team has an AS catcher. Posey/Y.Molina/McCann/Weiters, they are NOT parting ways with them.

Our catching situation is improving. is salty a great defender? No, but he has noticably gotten better since his arrival in Boston. As far as cs% goes...its more about the pitcher IMO. Salty has one arb year left and is not a liability behind the plate. We should have a clearer picture of the catchers position going forward AFTER the 2013 season. Then we can move forward with it.

[/QUOTE]

The difference being, In 1998Tek was 27, he hit 269 with 20 HRS and 70RBI'S after catching at least 100 games in his second season.  During the next 8 seasons from 1999 to 2007 his average only dipped below 255 twice with his BA peaking in the 290's twice. 

What was his OBP? .309 his first season then never below .325 until 2008 with his best year reaching 390.  Teks SO to BB ratio was around 2 to 1 most of his career.  Even in Teks last year he never SO four times more than he walked, or had a lower OBP than Salty's first two seasons.  Tek was considered an above average catcher because his skill set was well rounded even though his arm was average.  In other words he was an assett not liability to our team.

Salty will be 28 next May.  So far, while catching at least 100 games Salty has yet to raise his BA above 235 or OBP over 300.  Salty has also SO four times more than he walks.  Can Salty still mature into another Tek?  maybe, but I really hope this time next season we don't just talk about his defense improving a bit, or "his one" outstanding offensive SLG stat against RHP. 

With that said, may the best man win but anyone we sign long term as our catcher needs to give us more production.

[/QUOTE]

At age 28, Vtek hit .248 with an OPS of .730. He also led the league in PBs at age 27 & 28. He was injured at age 29 and had a .724 OPS at 30. His real improvement began at age 31, so I think it is a bit misleading to lump his numbers from age 28-30 into the following great seasons (for a catcher).

I realize that I am "spinning numbers" a bit here myself, but have a look for yourself...

Sidenote: CERA is not supposed to be used this way. It is best used by comparing pitcher by pitcher- one by one- and how they do with each catcher.

These are the aggregate numbers:

Salty from day 1 of 2011 to April 25th of 2012:

Inn: 953 / ERs: 517

CERA 4.88

Salty from April 26th to September 16:

Inn: 713 / ERs: 341

CERA 4.30

Shopp & Lava from 4/26 to 9/16:

Inn: 450 / ERs 220

CERA 4.40

Remember, this includes the 8 inning/19 ER game on 8/31 and the 12 inn/ 10 ER game of August 25th. I know everyone's CERA would be better if you could throw out the worst 2 games, but here are Salty's post April 25th numbers minus those 2 bad games:

693 inn/ 312 ERs

4.05 CERA

Salty has improved his CERA since April 25th.

Salty has more than cut in half his PB + WPs from 2011 to 2012.

Salty has improved his OPS from .737 to .775 from '11 to '12.

He's 27.

At age 27 & 28, VTek was leading MLB in PBs.

At age 28, VTek hit .248 with an OPS of .730.

At age 30, Vtek had a .724 OPS.

We all know that serious growth is possible after the age of 27 & 28, especially at the catcher position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

At age 28, Vtek hit .248 with an OPS of .730. He also led the league in PBs at age 27 & 28. He was injured at age 29 and had a .724 OPS at 30. His real improvement began at age 31, so I think it is a bit misleading to lump his numbers from age 28-30 into the following great seasons (for a catcher).

I realize that I am "spinning numbers" a bit here myself, but have a look for yourself...

Sidenote: CERA is not supposed to be used this way. It is best used by comparing pitcher by pitcher- one by one- and how they do with each catcher.

These are the aggregate numbers:

Salty from day 1 of 2011 to April 25th of 2012:

Inn: 953 / ERs: 517

CERA 4.88

Salty from April 26th to September 16:

Inn: 713 / ERs: 341

CERA 4.30

Shopp & Lava from 4/26 to 9/16:

Inn: 450 / ERs 220

CERA 4.40

Remember, this includes the 8 inning/19 ER game on 8/31 and the 12 inn/ 10 ER game of August 25th. I know everyone's CERA would be better if you could throw out the worst 2 games, but here are Salty's post April 25th numbers minus those 2 bad games:

693 inn/ 312 ERs

4.05 CERA

Salty has improved his CERA since April 25th.

Salty has more than cut in half his PB + WPs from 2011 to 2012.

Salty has improved his OPS from .737 to .775 from '11 to '12.

He's 27.

At age 27 & 28, VTek was leading MLB in PBs.

At age 28, VTek hit .248 with an OPS of .730.

At age 30, Vtek had a .724 OPS.

We all know that serious growth is possible after the age of 27 & 28, especially at the catcher position.

[/QUOTE]

So in reality, it's fine to wait three to five years "if thats the case" for Salty to improve enough to help our team win, not just improve defensively?  moon, you and I both know CERA is a about as useful to expert sources as any stat in baseball.  Salty has one stat which is SLG against RHP that stands out offensively, otherwise hes pretty much an automatic out.  He may have a few good stretches but not enough to make a huge difference.

I hope he does well next season but it remains to be seen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So in reality, it's fine to wait three to five years "if thats the case" for Salty to improve enough to help our team win, not just improve defensively?

5 years? I'm talking here and now.

His PB & WPs do not need to be improved.

His CERA with this staff is not a negative.

His OBP and CS rate needs to improve, but we are starting to see signs of more BBs in his most recent games. (6 BBs in his last 25 PAs)

When you compare Salty to other ML catchers, he IS HELPING US WIN NOW more than he is hurting. Any further improvement would be gravy.

moon, you and I both know CERA is a about as useful to expert sources as any stat in baseball. Salty has one stat which is SLG against RHP that stands out offensively, otherwise hes pretty much an automatic out. He may have a few good stretches but not enough to make a huge difference.

Since most catchers do not approach 650 PAs in a season (unless they DH some), playing Salty basically only vs RH'd starters still placed him #13 in catcher PAs this year. He doesn't need to hit vs LHPs that often to make it an issue. Finding a RH'd hitting back-up catcher is as easy as signing a Kelly Shoppach.

He could easily get 400-450 PAs vs RHPs and only 50 vs LHPs with expert managing. You may try to minimize the importance of SLG% vs RHPs only, but a great slugging percent for 400-450 PAs can be a huge asset-- an asset most MLb catchers can't come close to matching.

If you prorate Salty's 2012 numbers vs RHPs to 650 PAs, this would be his line (before the 2 BBs tonight):

.238  41  91 

OBP: .298 (probably over .300 now)

SLG: .497

OPS: .795 (probably close to .800 now)

Sure, I'd love for him to improve vs LHPs, but catchers need to rest more often anyways, so I do not see it as a major negative in his overall skillset evaluation.

I hope he does well next season but it remains to be seen.

Sure it does, but here are some more pro-rated numbers (650 PAs):

Home:  .245  34  83  (.774)

Away:   .218  36  78  (.759)... actually a higher OBP away (.295 to .289).

Most of our players have a way worse away OPS than home OPS.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think now that Salty has improved his defense, has had 2yrs with the pitchers and has taken what Tek and Tuck have shown him, He could go into this off season with his offense in the forefront.

If he can put it all together in 2013, we/he could realize what all the scouts were saying about him when he was 20yrs old. Ill take a 240-260AVG .310-320OBP with 25HR and an OPB around .800 for the catchers position with solid defense. Anything more than that is gravy IMO...

Once again...Next year should tell us all we need to know about letting him walk or extending him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

I think now that Salty has improved his defense, has had 2yrs with the pitchers and has taken what Tek and Tuck have shown him, He could go into this off season with his offense in the forefront.

If he can put it all together in 2013, we/he could realize what all the scouts were saying about him when he was 20yrs old. Ill take a 240-260AVG .310-320OBP with 25HR and an OPB around .800 for the catchers position with solid defense. Anything more than that is gravy IMO...

Once again...Next year should tell us all we need to know about letting him walk or extending him.

[/QUOTE]

And let us not forget;

He improved those numbers while most of the team had AWFUL years. Success can sometimes be contagious, and I wonder if Salty would respond if the Sox play WELL next year. I'm not talking 100 wins...but really, getting back to .500 would be an improvement, especially with the team they are going to be fielding. Lots of young guys, probably a more energetic and positive clubhouse...I mean, it can't hurt. He has improved through some of the ugliest Red Sox baseball in recent history. That deserves appreciation, not a call for a replacement.

Those stats outlined above Moon would put him....what? Maybe Top 5 C in the league? Certainly in the McCann/Posey-less AL. He'd be very close. I think people who complain about him don't really have an understanding of the position around the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll take a 240-260AVG .310-320OBP with 25HR and an OPB around .800 for the catchers position with solid defense. Anything more than that is gravy IMO...

So far this year, the average MLB team catchers (all catchers on each team) have this combined line:

.248  19  73

OBP .320

SLG .400

OPS .719

To me, anything over .245 15  60 (.300/.450/.750) by a guy who only plays 65-70% of the games is above average for a catcher. I expect salty to put up numbers like this next year:

.240  30  90  (.300/.500/.800)

This would be gravy on top of gravy.

The average MLB team catchers have allowed 11 PBs and 46 WPs in under 1,100 innings.m  In 790 innings, Salty has allowed 6 PBs & 23 WPs. This is way way way below the league average. If you pro-rate Salty's numbers to 1100 innings, he'd have these totals: 8 PBs & 32 WPs.  That is 17 below the league total of PB+WP average!

Also, 98 SBs and 34 CS.  Salty: 77 SBs & 17 CS. Pro-rate to 1100 innings: 107 SBs & 24 CS. This basically amounts to 9-10 more SBs allowed by Salty vs the league average, but any sane baseball fan knows that the Red Sox are notorious at not holding runners close to the bases.

Even if you take the SB numbers at face value, 10 more SBs vs 17 less PBs+WPs is still a net gain for Salty over the league average.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why is everyone so high on Kalish?  I am telling you, he is not that good yet.  I would rather to start Scott P. in the LF than starting Kalish.

I think Boston is going to buy an talent free agent OF such as Hamilton, etc.

And will buy one pitcher and trade for a pitcher.

Line up could be like this, Ellsbury, Pedy, Hamilton, Ross, Salty or Big Papi (cant keep both), Middlebrook, Lavarnway (can he hit?  if not, trade him and sign a catcher via free agency), and Ciriaco

Pitchers:Bucholz, Lackey, Lester, FA #1 and via trade, Doubront

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why is everyone so high on Kalish?  I am telling you, he is not that good yet.  I would rather to start Scott P. in the LF than starting Kalish.

I think Boston is going to buy an talent free agent OF such as Hamilton, etc.

And will buy one pitcher and trade for a pitcher.

Line up could be like this, Ellsbury, Pedy, Hamilton, Ross, Salty or Big Papi (cant keep both), Middlebrook, Lavarnway (can he hit?  if not, trade him and sign a catcher via free agency), and Ciriaco

Pitchers:Bucholz, Lackey, Lester, FA #1 and via trade, Doubront

[/QUOTE]

I like kalish, but have never assumed he will be a ML player. I'd prefer Pods as well, or Ross, or even this combination Brentz/Sands/Nava/Linares/Sweeney.

I am not for signing Hamilton, but would not be surprised if we do. I think we trade for a starter and then sign someone like B McCarthey, S Marcum, or E Jackson.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

5 years? I'm talking here and now.

His PB & WPs do not need to be improved.

His CERA with this staff is not a negative.

His OBP and CS rate needs to improve, but we are starting to see signs of more BBs in his most recent games. (6 BBs in his last 25 PAs)

When you compare Salty to other ML catchers, he IS HELPING US WIN NOW more than he is hurting. Any further improvement would be gravy.

[/QUOTE]

moon, I don't mind giving Salty credit for blocking a few more balls and the 6 BB's is a step in the right direction but I still feel your giving him way too much credit.  He had a string of extra base hits for a very short period "primarily against RHP" that made his SLG and OPS look much better than we all know he is.

Without improvement offensively next season I don't see Salty getting a "long term" deal to be our #1. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, I don't mind giving Salty credit for blocking a few more balls and the 6 BB's is a step in the right direction but I still feel your giving him way too much credit.  He had a string of extra base hits for a very short period "primarily against RHP" that made his SLG and OPS look much better than we all know he is.

Look at every hitter: they all have a streak that padded their stats. One could easily argue the opposite: take away Salty's bad streak (in August) and his OBP & OPS would be much better.  Besides, his HR by month does not show him being too streaky: 4-6-5-5-3

I'm not going to argue with you about his L/R splits, because you are dead right: Salty stinks vs LHPs. My point is, we don't really need him to even play vs LH'd starters to be a very effective part of our team next year and possibly beyond if we choose to extend. I would not extend Salty now to big money and many years, but I would think about offering him $18M/3 with incentive that could bring him to $21M/3. At that cost, evenb if he never improves, he has trade value to some team looking for offense from a position that has very few offensive players.

Without improvement offensively next season I don't see Salty getting a "long term" deal to be our #1. 

I actually think he will be traded this winter. His stock is high now. It may never be higher. We have few positions where we seem to have a rookie with a lot of potential who seems to be close to ML ready (Lava). Since we will not seriously contend next season, playing Salty all of 2013 only to see him walk doesn't make much sense. If he plays well for another team next year, we can always sign him as a FA next winter anyways and keep the player(s) we get in return for him this winter.

I could also see us trade Lava as part of a package for a SP, OF'er or 1Bman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Look at every hitter: they all have a streak that padded their stats. One could easily argue the opposite: take away Salty's bad streak (in August) and his OBP & OPS would be much better.  Besides, his HR by month does not show him being too streaky: 4-6-5-5-3

I'm not going to argue with you about his L/R splits, because you are dead right: Salty stinks vs LHPs. My point is, we don't really need him to even play vs LH'd starters to be a very effective part of our team next year and possibly beyond if we choose to extend. I would not extend Salty now to big money and many years, but I would think about offering him $18M/3 with incentive that could bring him to $21M/3. At that cost, evenb if he never improves, he has trade value to some team looking for offense from a position that has very few offensive players.

I actually think he will be traded this winter. His stock is high now. It may never be higher. We have few positions where we seem to have a rookie with a lot of potential who seems to be close to ML ready (Lava). Since we will not seriously contend next season, playing Salty all of 2013 only to see him walk doesn't make much sense. If he plays well for another team next year, we can always sign him as a FA next winter anyways and keep the player(s) we get in return for him this winter.

I could also see us trade Lava as part of a package for a SP, OF'er or 1Bman.

[/QUOTE]

Not looking to argue either moon, all your points make sense.  All I want is the kids to get a fair shake before we end up trading away a stud and that includes all positions.  If we can't find the right fit we look elswhere.  I think both need to happen before this club resembles a condender gain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not looking to argue either moon, all your points make sense.  All I want is the kids to get a fair shake before we end up trading away a stud and that includes all positions.  If we can't find the right fit we look elswhere.  I think both need to happen before this club resembles a condender gain.

I get this position and do not necessarily disagree with it. Now that we have budget flexibility, we can afford to let the prospects prove or disprove themselves and just plug in FAs where propsects fail or need more time to develop.

The risk with this philosophy is that several prospects may fail and their current high trade value may plummet. I'm sure you are aware of this risk, just as I am aware that we may trade the wrong prospect or trade for the wrong player.

This will be an interesting winter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I like kalish, but have never assumed he will be a ML player. I'd prefer Pods as well, or Ross, or even this combination Brentz/Sands/Nava/Linares/Sweeney.

I am not for signing Hamilton, but would not be surprised if we do. I think we trade for a starter and then sign someone like B McCarthey, S Marcum, or E Jackson.

[/QUOTE]

I am not in the camp that wants to sign Josh Hamilton.  I personally think it is a huge risk and not worth it.  He is now 31, is showing signs of breaking down and the sox would likely at a minimum need to shell out a 5 year deal at 22+ million per season. Let another team overpay for him. With all of the high priced free agents we have missed on it would be far more prudent to fill holes with mid level free agents and continue our own in house youth movement.  Heck look at the Rays and the Orioles as to why that approach is far more fruitful these days. Yes the Rays are fading but they are in the hunt year in and year out and they have next to no big ticket free agents.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to william93063's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not in the camp that wants to sign Josh Hamilton.  I personally think it is a huge risk and not worth it.  He is now 31, is showing signs of breaking down and the sox would likely at a minimum need to shell out a 5 year deal at 22+ million per season. Let another team overpay for him. With all of the high priced free agents we have missed on it would be far more prudent to fill holes with mid level free agents and continue our own in house youth movement.  Heck look at the Rays and the Orioles as to why that approach is far more fruitful these days. Yes the Rays are fading but they are in the hunt year in and year out and they have next to no big ticket free agents.

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Rays got burned by lack of depth this year. Longoria has become an injury problem for 2 years now. Jennings did not do as well as many expected, but having such bad production from 1B hurt as well. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to william93063's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Rays got burned by lack of depth this year. Longoria has become an injury problem for 2 years now. Jennings did not do as well as many expected, but having such bad production from 1B hurt as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Sadly for the Rays organization Evan Longoria is going to fall into the "what if" category.  It is a shame because he certainly has the skill set to be one of the greats, he simply doesn't have a body that will allow him to do so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sadly for the Rays organization Evan Longoria is going to fall into the "what if" category.  It is a shame because he certainly has the skill set to be one of the greats, he simply doesn't have a body that will allow him to do so.

He's still young.

He still got 574 PAs last year.

Here is his career line at 162 games:

.274  32  115  (.871 OPS)

He is just 26.

Sections
Shortcuts