Vote: Should Bradley be sent down to save nearly a year of arbitration control 7 years from now when Ortiz Comes off the DL?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Vote: Should Bradley be sent down to save nearly a year of arbitration control 7 years from now when Ortiz Comes off the DL?

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

LONG before that mythical 7 years has passed, this kid will be into a new 10 year contract, and all this discussion will go into the books as "just conversation".

His agent is Bora$$. Chances are against it.

You're probably right but you never know what will happen. 

Keeping that extra year of team control simply increases the options for the Red Sox should Bradley blossom into a real star. They can still sign him to a deal that would lock him up long term, but if a deal cannot be reached as his FA approaches, assuming he is playing well, then the extra year of team control makes him not only cheaper for us at the time but also a more attractive trade chip if the team does not believe they can sign him long term. It would be pretty short sighted not to utilize this option.

especially considering the cost. 20 days out of the lineup.. not 50 or 100. twenty. just short of 3 weeks lost for a whole year in his prime. they would be incompotent NOT to take advantage of that.

Take Lincecum as a case in point.  Promoting him too soon cost SF at least $8M.  And they finished last.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Vote: Should Bradley be sent down to save nearly a year of arbitration control 7 years from now when Ortiz Comes off the DL?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Giants have 2 WS, so they are more competent than Red Sox managment. You don't know what you are blathering about.

the RS have 2 WS since management took over... so i guess the RS management is just as competent as the giants.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Giants have 2 WS, so they are more competent than Red Sox managment. You don't know what you are blathering about.

But my statement is 100% correct, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

>:?~6

Here's another possible scenario:

We are within playoff range, JBJ is hitting .285/.350/.450/.800, but we also have this:

Papi  .300/.375/.500/.875

Ells   .300/.365/.465/.830

Gomes: .280/.360/.450/.810

Shane: .280/.350/.450/.800

I know JBJ is a better fielder than anyone here, but would missing a couple weeks really be a big loss on offense for a couple weeks?

Take it one step further.  The RS have several 9-game road stands this year.  The difference between Gomes/Nava playing the wall and Bradley playing the wall, are negligible.  Gomes is likely the better hitter, probably by a decent margin.  JBJ, as you mention, is a better fielder, but if they are playing at Fenway, the difference is de minimus.  Even if they were equal as hitters, the only way you'd want the RS to blow a year of control is if you really had bad intentions for our future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

We are within playoff range, JBJ is hitting .285/.350/.450/.800, but we also have this:

I know JBJ is a better fielder than anyone here, but would missing a couple weeks really be a big loss on offense for a couple weeks?

Of course not, it's an absurd argument.  Under the last CBA it was a real issue, but <20 games?  It's virtually nothing.  If Bradley were to have an historic rookie season of say, 8 WAR, losing 20 games would cost 1 win.  If he ended up with a WAR of 4 - a great rookie season - it's a half of a win cost.  Even a 2 WAR year would be respectable...a quarter of a win cost.

This is just horse-and-buggy thinking nonsense.  AND LOOK AT HIS BATTING AVERAGE!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Of course not, it's an absurd argument.  Under the last CBA it was a real issue, but <20 games?  It's virtually nothing.  If Bradley were to have an historic rookie season of say, 8 WAR, losing 20 games would cost 1 win.  If he ended up with a WAR of 4 - a great rookie season - it's a half of a win cost.  Even a 2 WAR year would be respectable...a quarter of a win cost.

This is just horse-and-buggy thinking nonsense.  AND LOOK AT HIS BATTING AVERAGE!

Just out of curiosity, and I won't get an answer from the whiners, suppose, one month from now, JBJ was still batting .200, and Gomes was still batting .375, would everyone in here still want JBJ playing LF for us?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Just out of curiosity, and I won't get an answer from the whiners, suppose, one month from now, JBJ was still batting .200, and Gomes was still batting .375, would everyone in here still want JBJ playing LF for us?

Exactly.  He's one 0 for 4 away from being attacked for having a BA of .143....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Even if the situation were reversed and it was JBJ batting .375 I would still want him sent down because it would be increasingly obvious that he is becoming a star and I would want the extra year of team control even more.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Keep him up, double and RBI against Andy, and I'm counting the days until that slackard prima donna Ellsbury is replaced by Bradley!

You can't count that high.  You don't have that many fingers and toes.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

As predicted, I didn't get an answer from the whiners.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I would want the extra year of team control even more.

did you want a year of control of S. Drew. Of cousre you did. If, 7 years from now, you are still bean counting loser baseball, the Red Sox will need to pay for "one more year of control" of Bradley. I think they can handle it, particularly if they don't waste 10 million dollars on bums like S. Drew.

I did? Show me the post where I advocated for another year of team control of Drew. He is on a one year contract; thats plenty. If Iggy is ready next year the job is his. If not, its either Drew or find another short term rental. The difference of opinion we are having here is that YOU think that Iglesias is ready for the Major League now; I don't. If I did think like you then I would agree that wasting $10M on Drew is as dumb as not getting an extra year of team control over Bradley.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's not about BA, Joe. For Bradley, it's about OBP, since he's a CF'er playing LF. Now, Gomes is a butcher who needs a high slugging number just to be a bench guy,

Joe, I like how you are focused on "saving a year of control" over a half a decade from now. Now, I want you to whine away and provide how much money will end up being saved, and what are you going to do with those "savings".

Also, Joe, when do you want Bradley send down for his 20 days? You wanted him starting in the minors, but now you'll need to decide when you put Gomes in LF as the new starter and when you send Bradley down to make sure you get that coveted year of control.

Folks, it wouldn't have mattered if Gomes started in LF, and Bradley was in the minors to start the season. And 20 days down won't matter either. Can't you just wait to see Gomes starting in LF?

And, Joe, when are you going to recall Bradley?  And, if his minors OBP is over .400 but his BA is about .200, how long are you going to keep him in the minors? 

I know management makes these calls, Joe, but I can't expect you to be as smart as these brilliant minds in Red Sox manaement. But I still want the details of your plan, just so we know, now, before the fact, exactly when you plan to send Bradley back to the minors.

And, Joe, will you keep a calendar for those 20 days counted down? And/or are you going to keep a close watch to see if Bradley is overmatched against minor league pitching.

Maybe Bradley can get some tips on hitting, from S. Drew, as they pass one anothers to and frow the minors;)

If you're interested in a serious conversation-

It isn't a matter of when.  It's a matter of playing time.  If Gomes and papi are hitting well, then where does JBJ play?  If Gomes hits like he did last year, JBJ doesn't have the skill set to beat him out at this point.  And you don't have a platoon fit since Nava is primarily a lefty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Gomes would obviously be the new starting LF'er.

I vote No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes !!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Anyone notice something odd going on here?  The poster who calls the players lazy overpaid Union slugs and refuses to offer contracts commensuate with the current market is calling everyone who disagrees with him, "Bean Counters". 

Hmmm... Hypocrite much?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Nothing dumb about not paying any attention to the mythical "extra year of control" over Bradley.

The extra year of control is not a myth.  I've seen the rules.  It's 6 years of control.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.