1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: W E E I, Dale Arnold & Butch Stern talking about how the

If the Sox believed in Lavarnway they wouldnt have overworked Salty when Ross went down. They used Salty against RHP AND LHP and wore him down so he was about spent for the playoffs.

I supposed if they cant find anyone they would be forced to go with him. Cherrington never mentions Lavarnway when talking about his catchers. He mentions Butler, Vasquez and Swihart. Wonder why...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Everyone but Bill has seemed to move on at this point.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Everyone but Bill has seemed to move on at this point.

Posters who do what hes does have a certain name on the internet.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Alternating with David Ross in 2014 .......    As  DAD would say ...............  "Well SON, I guess we know our stuff"  !!!!        What say you, all you "smart" ones ??????

And I "could" hit the lottery tonight.

Neither one of these scenarios is happening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

To Ryan Lavarnways credit, he has had a lot to endure the last two seasons.  He lost a ton of weight, and it wasn't a good weight loss.  He contracted some kind of sickness on a trip to South America that made him lose a ton of weight.  That coupled with a change in his swing has pretty much made his power disappear, which has been one of his main carrying tools.  

his defense has improved, but I don't think he will ever be a strong defensive catcher, however I think it has become good enough to justify him as a starter if his power returns.

Another reason I think for his power outage may be due to a change in his swing mechanics, which on the flip side has cut down a ton on his strike outs. 

If he has a year in which he puts it all together, this could be that year.  But is anyone really looking to bank on that?

If he can't cut it, the Sox could be in deep trouble and have a huge hold at that position.  I'd feel a lot safer hedging that bet by bringing someone in.

The reality is we probably aren't going to have a great catching situation.  I would look to buy a guy who might come cheap who can provide great defense behind the plate but little on offense and plug him in the 9 hole....someone who can split time with Ross.

I'd start Lavarnway in Pawtucket to give him constant at bats with hopes that perhaps this is the year that he breaks into a full time role.  If not....the Sox will have to reassess the situation next offseason. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not saying to stop being optimistic about Ryan Lavarnway....but I think it is unrealistic, and even irresponsible from a GM's perspective to bank on him next season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

As long as the Sox have Ross they can afford too plug willie lum-lum in as a platoon catcher! Lavarnway's biggest deterrent is his swing which is as long a swing as both Napoli's and Salty's. Defensively he's as good as Salty, though I will say that Salty did improve his throw 'em out rate... He still has Dick Stuart disease, Hands of stone!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

As long as the Sox have Ross they can afford too plug willie lum-lum in as a platoon catcher! Lavarnway's biggest deterrent is his swing which is as long a swing as both Napoli's and Salty's. Defensively he's as good as Salty, though I will say that Salty did improve his throw 'em out rate... He still has Dick Stuart disease, Hands of stone!!!!

Lavarnway has actually shortened up his swing and cut down a lot on the strike outs...which may be partially to blame for his power outage.  Although there is the weight loss issue as well, which he as reportedly been working very hard to add some weight and strength back. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Lavarnway has actually shortened up his swing and cut down a lot on the strike outs...which may be partially to blame for his power outage.  Although there is the weight loss issue as well, which he as reportedly been working very hard to add some weight and strength back. 

Give the kid a 1b mit...With Vasquez and Swihart, he doesnt stand a chance as a starter for this club. Let him pack on some Lbs. and get the power back while not wearing out that big body behind the plate. Were decent as far as catching depth. 1b, not so much. makes sense to me anyway.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts