Wade Boggs says he wants his #26 to be retired by the Red Sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Wade Boggs says he wants his #26 to be retired by the Red Sox.

Are you in favor of that?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Wade Boggs says he wants his #26 to be retired by the Red Sox.

Wade Boggs eager to see No. 26 retired by Red Sox 04.10.13 at 9:54 am ET By Jerry Spar 551 CommentsControversial former Red Sox star Wade Boggs said he would like to see his No. 26 retired by the team and admitted that he “used to be bitter” about the fact that he hasn’t been so honored. Boggs, who is helping coach a high school team in Tampa, Fla., this spring, spoke to Stan Grossfeld of The Boston Globe and expressed his disappointment with the slight. “It would be nice,” Boggs said. “Am I bitterWade Boggs eager to see No. 26 retired by Red Sox 04.10.13 at 9:54 am ET By Jerry Spar 551 CommentsControversial former Red Sox star Wade Boggs said he would like to see his No. 26 retired by the team and admitted that he “used to be bitter” about the fact that he hasn’t been so honored. Boggs, who is helping coach a high school team in Tampa, Fla., this spring, spoke to Stan Grossfeld of The Boston Globe and expressed his disappointment with the slight. “It would be nice,” Boggs said. “Am I bitter? I thought when I wore a Boston hat in the Hall of Fame I’d be up there. “It’s been eight years now. I used to be bitter. But I think those days are over. Was I bitter? Absolutely.” ? I thought when I wore a Boston hat in the Hall of Fame I’d be up there. “It’s been eight years now. I used to be bitter. But I think those days are over. Was I bitter? Absolutely.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sorry J-Bay, I saw the other post first. But I'll repeat: I vote no. My take is a  player should spend his entire career with the organzation, or at least finish his career there, to be eligible to have his number retired.

I realize Carlton Fisk is the obvious counter-argument, but his situation was a bit different.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Didn't see another one. Sorry. No for me also, Lloyd, for the same reasons, not to mention I can't stand the guy. Since when does a player tell an organization who's number should be retired?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Didn't he try to sign a 1 day contract (or something like that) to go into the HOF as a Ray?

His numbers are HOF worthy, but to me retiring a number isn't about the numbers as much as it's about that players connection with the community.

Boggs....is not that player. NO

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Didn't see another one. Sorry. No for me also, Lloyd, for the same reasons, not to mention I can't stand the guy. Since when does a player tell an organization who's number should be retired?

Exactly.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

He's self-centered.  Vocally campaigning for the Sox to retire his number shows it.

No way.  I would retire John Valentins number before Boggs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is an argument that no player has put up the numbers Boggs has and not had their number retired.  I say, you got to start a precedent somewhere. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

WB should ask Tampa or the Skanks to retire his number. maybe he can ride around Skank stadium on a horse the day they do

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Are you in favor of that?

Just wrap up his jersey, mail it to him, and let him hang it on his own wall. Yell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Personally, I'd retire  Dewey's before Boggs'.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The Yankee Horse Rider gets his number retired in Boston?  No way.  Wade was one of the greatest hitters to ever wear a Sox uniform.  "Ain't no thing like Wade Boggs' swing."  He is a Sox legend.  but he blew it on have any enshrinement at the Fens.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

roger

curt

johnny

wade

tough town

but so many of them still love manny

strange town

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Sorry J-Bay, I saw the other post first. But I'll repeat: I vote no. My take is a  player should spend his entire career with the organzation, or at least finish his career there, to be eligible to have his number retired.

I realize Carlton Fisk is the obvious counter-argument, but his situation was a bit different.

I realize Carlton Fisk is the obvious counter-argument,

but his situation was a bit different.

care to expand Lloyd

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Wade was what team baseball isn't about. He was a real loser who was a punch and judy guy. His fielding was average, at it's best. I like the idea of putting up a statue of Ellsbury, next to Ted Williams, much better.

This is such a colorful mix of sarcasm, inadvertent truth, misconception, and sheer lunacy.  The blend so thick that it is hard to tell which is which.  Kudos counselor.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The criteria to having your RS number retired is different from HOF criteria.  While some criteria overlaps, there are also stark differences.

For example: character.  To have your number put up in RF, you must be a down-to-earth , caring, community driven person.

Not a self-loving , bigotted , disloyal , alcholic.

No all day.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Also: the Red Sox get to decide what numbers they retire.  The criteria is not objective nor does it have to be.  If they do not want to retire Boggs number then they shouldnt.  They do not owe anybody an explanation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes a self centered egomaniac alcoholic...NO WAY. He doesnt care about Boston or the Red Sox, he only cares about himself...And chuggin' his Miller Light

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Drewski, I like how you put it to Wade, but one word reminds me:

A true American only needs to know the importance of 5 words:

Hater

Bigot

Racist

Homophobe

Intolerance

I know what you are getting at, and believe me, I'm not the type to cry racist at every turn. I remember when a coach was fired for saying: "they had more Afrincan Americans than us.  We couldnt keep up with their speed."  That is not a racist comment and his firing appauled me.  How many caucasian cornerbacks have played in the NFL (and been good) since Jason Seyhorn?  Thats not a coincidence!  

However, I do feel that character should be considered when considering whether a player was a "Red Sox great", and I do feel that Boggs lacked charcter.

I can't stand the always looking to be politically correct "I only know five words" American.  If you are passionate against intollerance, how about some tollerance for intollerant people.    A trully tolerant person looks to educate and help an intollerant person.  Not throw them into the fire w/ some kind of air of superiority.  I cant stand the : "I'm one of the good ones" people.  Whether its Boston fans saying: "I know why the whole world hates Boston fans, but Im one of the good ones"...or: "I know why the rest of the world hates Americans, but Im one of the good ones" or "I know why the rest of the world hates white people, but Im one of the good ones.."

Get over yourselves.