Wade Boggs says he wants his #26 to be retired by the Red Sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Wade Boggs says he wants his #26 to be retired by the Red Sox.

In response to Drewski5's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Drewski, I like how you put it to Wade, but one word reminds me:

A true American only needs to know the importance of 5 words:

Hater

Bigot

Racist

Homophobe

Intolerance

I know what you are getting at, and believe me, I'm not the type to cry racist at every turn. I remember when a coach was fired for saying: "they had more Afrincan Americans than us.  We couldnt keep up with their speed."  That is not a racist comment and his firing appauled me.  How many caucasian cornerbacks have played in the NFL (and been good) since Jason Seyhorn?  Thats not a coincidence!  

However, I do feel that character should be considered when considering whether a player was a "Red Sox great", and I do feel that Boggs lacked charcter.

I can't stand the always looking to be politically correct "I only know five words" American.  If you are passionate against intollerance, how about some tollerance for intollerant people.    A trully tolerant person looks to educate and help an intollerant person.  Not throw them into the fire w/ some kind of air of superiority.  I cant stand the : "I'm one of the good ones" people.  Whether its Boston fans saying: "I know why the whole world hates Boston fans, but Im one of the good ones"...or: "I know why the rest of the world hates Americans, but Im one of the good ones" or "I know why the rest of the world hates white people, but Im one of the good ones.."

Get over yourselves.

You should try to have more tolerance for them.    Tongue Out

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Asking to have your number retired?  For shame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Its not a shame for him to lobby for it.  Just a shame if he gets it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

My take is a  player should spend his entire career with the organzation, or at least finish his career there, to be eligible to have his number retired.

I disagree with this criteria -- especially in this day and age. For instance, Dwight Evans. He played 18 years -- something like that -- and just one with another team. I'd retire that before I'd retire a guy who played five or six years with the Sox then retired but played the first 10-plus years with another team.

On Felger and Mazz, Felger IMO was putting too much on winning champions. I'm not going to penalize a great player simply because he wasn't surrounded by enough good teammates.

My view is:

A. He has to be an all-time great.

and

B. He has to have played with the Sox for the majority of his career and not just 51 percent -- a great majority.

Someone who makes A & B makes it a no-brainer.

However, there's a C.

C. The first two rules can be flexible in specific situations. Meaning, he might not be a Hall-of-Famer, but he was a great player for the Sox who played just about all his career with the Sox. Evans fits into this category. I'm not saying Evans' number should or shouldn't be retired, but someone like him should be part of the discussion. And it allows for Pedro who was certainly an all-time great but played just seven of 18 years with the Sox.

Someone like Pedro (7 of 18), however, had to be as great as Pedro was with the Sox. That's why I say no to Schilling. He was a great pitcher, borderline HoF'er, but he didn't play long enough with the Sox or have enough good years with the Sox.

As for Boggs, he's borderline. I don't care about how selfish he is. The fact is, he was an excellent defensive third baseman and was a great hitter -- five batting titles . And he was great at his job -- getting on base. He had great numbers with the Sox -- .338 BA, .428 OBP, .462 SLG, .890 OPS.

And I don't care that he went to the Yankees. The Sox didn't want him, so he could go where ever he wanted. But it was just 11 of 18 years, which is better than 10 of 18 but not as good as 14 or 15 of 18. He also is in the Hall as a Red Sox.

So like I said, he's borderline simply because I think a certain amount of consideration has to be made for popularity, and there's always seems there was something of a disconnect between him and the fans even when he played.

In the end, I vote not, but to be fair to Boggs' accomplishments it is close. We might not like him, but he was a heck of a hitter.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

This ^

It's a balancing test. It has to do with how much of a player's greatness and career are affiliated with the Sox.

For boggs, the answer is "No." Boggs will forever be associated with the Yankees as much as with the Sox. That's enough to keep his number active.

There are so many players who have great careers more defined by their time with the Red Sox than Wade Boggs does. 

I don't want to defend Boggs, but it's unfair to say that Boggs will forever be associated with the Yankees just a much as the Red Sox when spent just five years (five of his lesster years) with the Yankees just because he rode a horse after a clinching game.

It's sad if that's the case because it shows short memories of fans.

I still associated Boggs as a Red Sox player because his greatest years were with the Sox and it was an 11-5 Red Sox-Yankees split in years of service.

Like I posted above, even in Boggs' greatest years when he had the fullest Red Sox support, there still seemed to be something lacking in the fan-player relationship. That's why I say no.

And I agree with others. YOU DON'T ASK TO HAVE YOUR NUMBER RETIRED.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Didn't he try to sign a 1 day contract (or something like that) to go into the HOF as a Ray?

His numbers are HOF worthy, but to me retiring a number isn't about the numbers as much as it's about that players connection with the community.

Boggs....is not that player. NO

I agree w/ this completely. Plus I always felt he really rubbed winning the WS in the face of the Red Sox and their fans. Also what kind of narcissistic fool lobbies to have his number retired.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Sorry J-Bay, I saw the other post first. But I'll repeat: I vote no. My take is a  player should spend his entire career with the organzation, or at least finish his career there, to be eligible to have his number retired.

I realize Carlton Fisk is the obvious counter-argument, but his situation was a bit different.

I realize Carlton Fisk is the obvious counter-argument,

but his situation was a bit different.

care to expand Lloyd

Carlton was a native New Englander that the Sox management screwed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

but his situation was a bit different.

care to expand Lloyd

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In response to stan17's comment:

Carlton was a native New Englander that the Sox management screwed.

U mean the dog ate my homework stuff

how did he get screwed any more than boggs did by management

Plus I always felt he really rubbed winning the WS in the face of the Red Sox and their fans.

how so stan

Also what kind of narcissistic fool lobbies to have his number retired.

I can't tell if he was answering a question or not

IMO that matters

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Sent an alcoholic to congress for 47 years but grounds for not retiring Boggs number?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

Sent an alcoholic to congress for 47 years but grounds for not retiring Boggs number?

LOL

maybe boggs couldn't swim

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

He needs to get off of his high horse.

Exhibit A in the case of Sox Fans vs. Boggs' Number Retirment.  Case closed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

The much beloved alcoholic equestrian.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

And chicken lover.  But to be fair, we might know a few others who love chicken and beer ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

And chicken lover.  But to be fair, we might know a few others who love chicken and beer ...

Boggs liked his Chicken with lemon not deep fryed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Boggs liked his Chicken with lemon not deep fryed.

Ah, ok, cool, then I have no problem with him eating it everynight in the clubhouse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Some of you are really funny and absolutely wrong.....

The HOF or having a number retired is not about whether you liked him or not. Nor is it about his personal life. The HOF and having a numbered retired is all about on the field activities. There are also RS number retiring requirements if he meets all of those requirements then his number should get retired and be in the RS HOF.

BTW riding on the horse had nothing to do with his RS time. He was happy and celebrating I doubt that anything about the RS was on his mind at that time. However I would not be surprised to find out he wished it happened as a RS player since that was the team that had all the faith in his ability.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Its not a shame for him to lobby for it.  Just a shame if he gets it.

lobbying for a team to retire your number shows no class

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

And they're not getting their numbers retired either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

The HOF or having a number retired is not about whether you liked him or not. Nor is it about his personal life. The HOF and having a numbered retired is all about on the field activities. There are also RS number retiring requirements if he meets all of those requirements then his number should get retired and be in the RS HOF.

BTW riding on the horse had nothing to do with his RS time. He was happy and celebrating I doubt that anything about the RS was on his mind at that time. However I would not be surprised to find out he wished it happened as a RS player since that was the team that had all the faith in his ability.

I agree with that criteria, Jim. But as I pointed out earlier, I believe a player should spend his entire career or at  least finish it with the team in order to be eligible. I recognize Carlton Fisk as the exception to that rule.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I agree with that criteria, Jim. But as I pointed out earlier, I believe a player should spend his entire career or at  least finish it with the team in order to be eligible. I recognize Carlton Fisk as the exception to that rule.

To me, that unfair. Why should a guy who spends the last seven years of his career of a 19-year career with the Sox (not thinking of anyone specific, just a general comment) be more qualified than a guy who spent the first 18 years of a 19-year career with the Sox.

Or more even more extreme -- two players with 19-year careers. The first one spent his first year somewhere else then the next 18 with the Sox, while the second one spent the first 18 with the Sox and the last somewhere else. 

Dwight Evans kind of fits in here. He spent all but the last year of his career with the Sox. If we think his stats are worthwhile, should he be penalized because he wanted to play one more year but the Sox didn't want him?

That's why I look at it more as where did the guy spend the majority of his career and where were his best years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

no way.let the yanks or margo retire it.

Sections
Shortcuts