Wait until next year

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Wait until next year

Middlebrooks and Doubront made their debuts last year, as well as Iggy and lavarnway. The latter not being that impressive.

Im sure we'll see JBJ and maybe even Brentz at some point this year. You can usually count on an injury or 2.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BuritoT's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Middlebrooks and Doubront made their debuts last year, as well as Iggy and lavarnway. The latter not being that impressive.

Im sure we'll see JBJ and maybe even Brentz at some point this year. You can usually count on an injury or 2.

I can't wait.

Me either B...Its gonna be fun watching kids like JBJ, Bogy, Webster and RDLR very soon...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

What's our SP rotation would look like in 2014 now that Webster and Rubby seem ready to contribute. Should Ben consider trading Lester for near ML ready top bats? If Ben ever decides to trade Lester, I hope he finds partner fom the national league.. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

What's our SP rotation would look like in 2014 now that Webster and Rubby seem ready to contribute. Should Ben consider trading Lester for near ML ready top bats? If Ben ever decides to trade Lester, I hope he finds partner fom the national league.. 

I wouldn't trade Lester. Even if and it's a big IF these young pitchers have success Lester as a #4 or #5 doesn't make you a bad team. The Rays have proven that with pitching you don't need all that much hitting. For years now the Yankees have had the most powerful hitting lineup money can buy. It has resulted in only 1 championship. The Giants like most championship teams have done it mainly with strong arms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope we extend Lester.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It seems that all the exciting players will be in the minor leagues for most of the year. We're stuck with the well-traveled veterans who will give us mediocre performances. I can't wait for the top prospects to make it up to Fenway. The Sox are a cautious organization. Sometimes you need that rookie to bring excitement to the team.

I think it's great we have so much to look forward to and be excited about. 

It doesn't preclude enjoying this season as much as possible and supporting the guys we have, mediocre or not. 

It bothers me that we have developed an attitude of all or nothing.  It is modified a little with "we haven't made the play offs" ...  But to paraphrase the captain of the EE, all we seem to want or insist on is a WS crown.  Everything wlse is a waste and reason to complain ad nauseum.

I do, however, enjoy all the buzz about the prospects.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I think it's a little early to think of trading Lester, because Webster and RDLR apear ready.

Personally, as much as Lester dissappointed me last year, I thik he's still one of the better pitchers in the game.

He needs to prove it this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

I think it's a little early to think of trading Lester, because Webster and RDLR apear ready.

Personally, as much as Lester dissappointed me last year, I thik he's still one of the better pitchers in the game.

I don't think Lester forget how to pitch. More a case of not wanting to pitch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

I don't think Lester forget how to pitch. More a case of not wanting to pitch.

I agree and think it's all a part of what happened ... Lester never had a non-supportive manager not to mention harsh divisions between manager and pitching coach.  Bobby's self-important needs did very little to help the players.  A part of me says that these pros ought to take care of themselves, but there is a part of me that says there is a reason they have coaches and managers. 

Bobby's recent self-serving statements prove he was out of his league ... he's a "baseball savant" someone said, but he is NOT a people guy.   I think that the return of Farrell will have large dividends on Lester's performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't know wabout wait-until next year.  Injuries always have a way of changing the script.  And, let us not forget that WMB was not really suppose to come up last year, except for maybe a cup o' coffee in autumn.  But, his play demanding promotion, in combo with Youk's health/performance made it such that the plan had to change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I don't know wabout wait-until next year.  Injuries always have a way of changing the script.  And, let us not forget that WMB was not really suppose to come up last year, except for maybe a cup o' coffee in autumn.  But, his play demanding promotion, in combo with Youk's health/performance made it such that the plan had to change.

Excellent point,  didn't the RS lead the league (or close to it) with time spent on the DL.  Didn't at 1 point last year the RS had around 100 million dollars on the DL?  I think we shall see these young players this year and in some cases just like WMB they will stick.  I like the fact that the young players (at least some) are making Farrell's job difficult by playing well and at least making him think hard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Not a good idea at all. I doubt if you remember Sparky Lyle for Danny Cater, but I bet you remember Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It seems that all the exciting players will be in the minor leagues for most of the year. We're stuck with the well-traveled veterans who will give us mediocre performances. I can't wait for the top prospects to make it up to Fenway. The Sox are a cautious organization. Sometimes you need that rookie to bring excitement to the team.

This is the crux of the matter. It's always "wait until next year". The Sox keep holding back the future in the minor leagues, filling the roster with also-rans, hoping that next year or the year after will be the one that springs eternal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

This is the crux of the matter. It's always "wait until next year". The Sox keep holding back the future in the minor leagues, filling the roster with also-rans, hoping that next year or the year after will be the one that springs eternal.

You mean like in 2004 and 2007?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Nonesense.  It's not "always" anything.  Middlebrooks showed he was ready ahead of schedule last year.  They brought him up.  Farrell is already leaving the door open to Bradley seeing major league action.  You can point to poor farm development, maybe.  But, it is what it is.  You can't just make no moves for your "also rans (stupid overstatement)" and pin your hopes on guys who have never even sniffed Rhode Island.  Bradley struggled adapting to AA level ball.  Assuming that he can make the jump to Boston just because he is super talented and exciting is pretty sketch arm-chair GMing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Nonesense.  It's not "always" anything.  Middlebrooks showed he was ready ahead of schedule last year.  They brought him up.  Farrell is already leaving the door open to Bradley seeing major league action.  You can point to poor farm development, maybe.  But, it is what it is.  You can't just make no moves for your "also rans (stupid overstatement)" and pin your hopes on guys who have never even sniffed Rhode Island.  Bradley struggled adapting to AA level ball.  Assuming that he can make the jump to Boston just because he is super talented and exciting is pretty sketch arm-chair GMing.

That sounds like SOP for ike to me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Then tell me how team like the A's and the Ray's, with limited payroll, always seem to "pin their hopes" on guys still wet behind the ears, and come out smelling like a rose?

It's because they take chances and feel the risk is well worth the reward.

It's time this organization quits playing it safe.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Lester may never be any more than a serviceable #3 SP at best, but we do need #3 SP too. Of course, we need higher quality pitchers even more, but trading pitching when thats what we need most is not a good idea.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Then tell me how team like the A's and the Ray's, with limited payroll, always seem to "pin their hopes" on guys still wet behind the ears, and come out smelling like a rose?

It's because they take chances and feel the risk is well worth the reward.

It's time this organization quits playing it safe.

a. The A's are not the Rays.  Last year was the first year in a long time that they "smelled like a rose".  And, that had more to do with also-rans (maybe you are familiar with names like  Gomes, Crisp, Drew) than it did with rookies.  They had 2 impact rookie pitchers in Millone and Parker.  OK, thats 2.  Not exactly a youth movement.

b. The Rays are awesome.  Best farm, scouting, development and coaching in the majors.  No doubt.  But, outside of absolute studs like David Price and Matt Moore, I think you will find they bring their guys up with about the same schedule as the Sox do.  

c.  Its apples and oranges.  It is a luxury of rich teams that they do not have to gamble on kids' performance, or worse yet, gamble on stunting development.

d. you are right, youth infusion is great.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Agree that rookies do bring some buzz to a team. Lets hope that Ben and RS ownership are willing to eat a contract if some veteran or FA signing is not performing and be willing to bring up a guy from minors who is tearing it up and deserves a shot. Were willing to do so last yr w/ Youk vs. Middlebrooks. But what happens if its Victorino and he has 3 yrs left and JBJ is tearing it up at AAA, tougher to do?

IMO RS are playing towards 2015 as WS contending year. Hopefully by then rotation will consist of Lester/Buchholz/Barnes/Webster/De La Rosa/Doubront/ with Owens/ Butrey/Kukuk getting close. Middlebrooks 1B/ Pedroia/ Boegarts SS/ Cecchini 3B or Marrero/Iggy @ SS Boegarts 3B as the infield. JBJ/Brentz/Kalish/Jacobs/Nava/ or maybe Ells resigns and Ells/JBJ/Kalish&Brentz OF combination. The future looks bright.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

a. The A's are not the Rays.  Last year was the first year in a long time that they "smelled like a rose".  And, that had more to do with also-rans (maybe you are familiar with names like  Gomes, Crisp, Drew) than it did with rookies.  They had 2 impact rookie pitchers in Millone and Parker.  OK, thats 2.  Not exactly a youth movement.

The A's did well because of Drew and his .707 OPS? A .742 OPS from Crisp? A good platoon from Gomes?

Yeah, they didn't have many rookies, but they did have a lot of young talent: Cespedes (1st year), C Carter, Weeks, and Reddick were all 26 or under. B Moss and his .954 OPS was a big help, though he was 28. The big youth movement was with their staff:

23 Parker 181 IP

24 Griffin    82 IP

25 Milone  190

25 R Cook  73

25 T Ross  73

25 Norberto  52

23 Straily      39

24 Anderson 35

That's 8 of their top 16 innings guys at 25 or younger.

As for the Rays, they traded their "old man on the staff", 30 year old Shields, but had a very nice young rotation last year:

26 Price  211

23 Moore 177

25 Hellick 177

24 Cobb    136

26 WDavis  70

28 Niemann 38

23 Archer   23

25 Doolittle   47

b. The Rays are awesome.  Best farm, scouting, development and coaching in the majors.  No doubt.  But, outside of absolute studs like David Price and Matt Moore, I think you will find they bring their guys up with about the same schedule as the Sox do.  

c.  Its apples and oranges.  It is a luxury of rich teams that they do not have to gamble on kids' performance, or worse yet, gamble on stunting development.

d. you are right, youth infusion is great. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Why are they "exciting" to begin with?  It's because we fantasize about them, just like we fantasize about beautiful, unavailable women.  It's just not a sexual thing (maybe for some, I don't know).  "Mediocre performances" may be another way of saying that we are familiar with the limits of what these players produce, so they are just not that exciting to us anymore, just like people get bored with their familiar spouses and partners once they are always available to us.  

The likelihood is that these players will get their shot when either: 1. They earn it.  2. There is an injury and they're the best replacement option.  If the player on the roster is holding them back because of solid performance, then that's a good problem to have.

Sections
Shortcuts