Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?

Here's a preview:

NEEDHAM — Red Sox team captain Jason Varitek, speaking for the first time since the team's collapse and subsequent turmoil, said this afternoon that reports of friction within the clubhouse were "grossly exaggerated."

In an exclusive interview at his home, Varitek said the Red Sox missed the playoff because of poor performances on the field, not a lack of effort or poor chemistry.

"It's embarrassing professionally that we collapsed the way we did. But it wasn't because we stopped trying or stopped caring about each other. This team was just fine until the end," he said. "We tried everything we could to stop it.

"Every team has its squabbles over the course of the season. But this team got along just fine and I never had a sense that we weren't on the same page."

Varitek said he was "surprised" when former manager Terry Francona expressed different sentiments.

"That's Tito's personal opinion and based on what was going on with him personally and maybe how he related to the team," Varitek said. "But I ever had that sense. We lost because we played poorly and we had some health issues and we probably taxed the bullpen too much. ... We didn't lose because of some issue in the clubhouse. That's a lot of crap."

Varitek also dismissed the idea that some pitchers drinking beer in the clubhouse during games had any effect on the team.

"That's a miniscule issue," he said. "Guys are in the clubhouse all the time. I'm in there watching pitches because I can't see what I need to see from the bench. To me, that is not an issue at all."

The 39-year-old catcher also made it clear that he wants to play in 2012 and hopes it will be with the Red Sox.

"I'm a free agent, that's out of my hands," he said. "But I've bled in this uniform for a long time and I want to continue that. Hopefully that will be the case."

Varitek said he has not contemplated the idea of whether he could play for another team after 15 years with the Red Sox.

"Until I have to make that decision, I can't say. It's too early for me to think about that," he said.

Varitek revealed that he missed the final three games of the season because a piece of bone chipped off his right kneecap, not a bruise as the team reported. He did not require surgery.

More to come.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?

We all tend to nit pick this stuff but this was telling:

"That's Tito's personal opinion and based on what was going on with him personally and maybe how he related to the team," Varitek said. "But I ever had that sense. We lost because we played poorly and we had some health issues and we probably taxed the bullpen too much. ... We didn't lose because of some issue in the clubhouse. That's a lot of crap."

I think we just found one veteran that Tito has lost follwership with I think. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?:
    Here's a preview: By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff NEEDHAM — Red Sox team captain Jason Varitek, speaking for the first time since the team's collapse and subsequent turmoil, said this afternoon that reports of friction within the clubhouse were "grossly exaggerated." In an exclusive interview at his home, Varitek said the Red Sox missed the playoff because of poor performances on the field, not a lack of effort or poor chemistry. "It's embarrassing professionally that we collapsed the way we did. But it wasn't because we stopped trying or stopped caring about each other. This team was just fine until the end," he said. "We tried everything we could to stop it. "Every team has its squabbles over the course of the season. But this team got along just fine and I never had a sense that we weren't on the same page." Varitek said he was "surprised" when former manager Terry Francona expressed different sentiments. "That's Tito's personal opinion and based on what was going on with him personally and maybe how he related to the team," Varitek said. "But I ever had that sense. We lost because we played poorly and we had some health issues and we probably taxed the bullpen too much. ... We didn't lose because of some issue in the clubhouse. That's a lot of crap." Varitek also dismissed the idea that some pitchers drinking beer in the clubhouse during games had any effect on the team. "That's a miniscule issue," he said. "Guys are in the clubhouse all the time. I'm in there watching pitches because I can't see what I need to see from the bench. To me, that is not an issue at all." The 39-year-old catcher also made it clear that he wants to play in 2012 and hopes it will be with the Red Sox. "I'm a free agent, that's out of my hands," he said. "But I've bled in this uniform for a long time and I want to continue that. Hopefully that will be the case." Varitek said he has not contemplated the idea of whether he could play for another team after 15 years with the Red Sox. "Until I have to make that decision, I can't say. It's too early for me to think about that," he said. Varitek revealed that he missed the final three games of the season because a piece of bone chipped off his right kneecap, not a bruise as the team reported. He did not require surgery. More to come.
    Posted by fivekatz

"The 39-year-old catcher also made it clear that he wants to play in 2012 and hopes it will be with the Red Sox."

That's all we need to know. Don't expect anything out of him but tap dancing around issues and "no comment." The guy's a fraud and should have been out of MLB four years ago. Send him packing. Good riddance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"Reports of friction inside the clubhouse were grossly exaggerated"
       Kind of suspect coming from the "Capitan " of the team that alledgedly had a lack of leadership in the clubhouse and is lobbying for a new contract. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

I'm sure he's going to say he never drank beers in the DUGOUT... LMFAO!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

"It's embarrassing professionally that we collapsed the way we did. But it wasn't because we stopped trying or stopped caring about each other. This team was just fine until the end," he said. "We tried everything we could to stop it

I find it extremely hard to believe that the he thinks the team gave 100% in the month of September and the cards just didn't fall the Sox way.  That is about pathetic!  He must think Sox fans are really stupid to even say something like this.  Wasn't he the man with the C on his uniform?  Where was his mouth in all of this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Varitek is in denial and smooching up to ownership to squeeze out another contract.

What real captain throws his former manager under the bus for the sake of a contract he doesn't need or deserve ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

gee, the more player's who come to talk about the sept swoon, the more crap we hear. 

no ones at fault, the drinking and eating and sitting in the club house while the 2011 season went down the tubes, gaining weight being out of shape had nothing to do with the pitchers proformances, 

what a bunch of lying sons of bitc..es. 

if you believe what the players are telling you, evrey thing will be fine next year, no changes need to be taken.

resign everyone, don't trade anyone, just let the players run the show 

This team needs a rebuild from the top down, I'd rather see a team that busts it's as.. every day and finishes third, then to see these over paid, out of shape, not giving a shi.. players finnishing in the same place. 

No ones at fault???? give me a fuc... break!!!! you don't lose 20 games in a month by simply playing bad, this runs much much deeper!!! 

No matter what these not caring sons of bitc... try to tell us.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

gee, the more player's who come to talk about the sept swoon, the more crap we hear. 

no ones at fault, the drinking and eating and sitting in the club house while the 2011 season went down the tubes, gaining weight being out of shape had nothing to do with the pitchers proformances, 

what a bunch of lying sons of bitc..es. 

if you believe what the players are telling you, evrey thing will be fine next year, no changes need to be taken.

resign everyone, don't trade anyone, just let the players run the show 

This team needs a rebuild from the top down, I'd rather see a team that busts it's as.. every day and finishes third, then to see these over paid, out of shape, not giving a shi.. players finnishing in the same place. 

No ones at fault???? give me a fuc... break!!!! you don't lose 20 games in a month by simply playing bad, this runs much much deeper!!! 

No matter what these not caring sons of bitc... try to tell us.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the Three Stooges need to go

and then Wake, Tek, Papi, should follow them...enough of these warhorses blowing smoke up our azzes protecting each other and lying to our faces...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?:
    Varitek is in denial and smooching up to ownership to squeeze out another contract.   What real captain throws his former manager under the bus for the sake of a contract he doesn't need or deserve ?
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

Amen. And what kind of "team" player, like he likes to call himself, greedily lobbies for a sympathy roster slot at the expense of a younger player like Lavarnway who is poised to play a key role in the team's future? 

What a fraudulent punk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

gee, the more player's who come to talk about the sept swoon, the more crap we hear.  no ones at fault, the drinking and eating and sitting in the club house while the 2011 season went down the tubes, gaining weight being out of shape had nothing to do with the pitchers proformances,  what a bunch of lying sons of bitc..es.  if you believe what the players are telling you, evrey thing will be fine next year, no changes need to be taken. resign everyone, don't trade anyone, just let the players run the show  This team needs a rebuild from the top down, I'd rather see a team that busts it's as.. every day and finishes third, then to see these over paid, out of shape, not giving a shi.. players finnishing in the same place.  No ones at fault???? give me a fuc... break!!!! you don't lose 20 games in a month by simply playing bad, this runs much much deeper!!!  No matter what these not caring sons of bitc... try to tell us.        
    Posted by sinjin5000
    So are you prepared to wait 3 years for a .500 season or should the approach bit a bit more surgical that just blowing out all the SOBs?

Yeah they lost 20 games in September. They were on a pace to win 98 before that. The thing ran out of control and the guy paid to reel it back it did not and he paid with his job (Tito).

I don't think unless you want to help Mr. Henry eat parts of these contracts so that guys like Lester and Beckett can help other teams (because I doubt they ever go near this stuff again) then perhaps your reaction is bit strong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I think I lost a great deal of respect for Tek reading these comments. Yeah, the team that fell apart so spectacularly in September was "just fine until the end," and that the problems were all in Tito's head...I don't know who he thinks he's fooling. Thanks for 04 and 07, Jason, but this just proves you're unworthy of the "C" you've been wearing on your chest, and I hope you'll be next out the door. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Just because a great player reaches the end of his career, is it proper to bash him? why not remain silent. The FO doesn't really survey this forum and add up votes for Tek. Do you trash old relatives in a rest home publicly? What is the need to shout out about poor performance when you can remain silent and be a gentleman. My guess is that it is your identity / ego on the forum. Why not be a nice person instead of a pr-ick?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

How many games did Beckett/Lester/Lackey win COMBINED last year???

40 wins 
    28 losses

I would rather start Wake, Aceves, and Miller next year and trade those three for great prospects..or in Lackeys case a bag of balls...

40 wins / 3 pitchers = 13 wins a season....

WOW THESE GUYS ARE SOOOOOOO INDISPENSIBLE

Trade the three stooges now please...they are overrated, overpaid, and overweight...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If anyone on the Sox deserves to be the Capitan,it's Pedroia.He might be the smallest guy on the team,but he has the most heart.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say?:
    WEEI Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek will appear on WAAF's Hill-Man Morning Show on Wednesday morning at 8:00 a.m. Varitek is expected to address the September collapse of the Sox and recent reports of discord and misbehavior in the clubhouse. 
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Maybe our team captain should have spoke up months ago and we wouldn't be in this position.  Have Pede make a statement , then appoint him our new captain.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Isn't it funny that so many posters refuse to honor the word of every player that speaks out but sanction entirely the column that Hohler fabricated? Yet in other threads here for years that they disbelieve every word out of CHB, Mazz, Ryan, and others. It almost seems like they want to believe anything that has a convenient scapegoat for a month where the whole team under performed. Be an adult and blame it on the whole team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Waiting for the other shoe to drop:Varitek to appear on WAAF Wednesday-What do you think Varitek is going to say? : Maybe our team captain should have spoke up months ago and we wouldn't be in this position.  Have Pede make a statement , then appoint him our new captain.
    Posted by craze4sox
    There should be only one captain and that guys title is Manager IMHO. Pedey didn't need a title to make a difference, he was there and it did not change anything.

It was a joke that the FO named a captain to start with.

The biggest thing I got out of this first round of quotes is that Varitek is just another guy who confirms what Terry thought and that it was time for a new voice.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

El Guapo just called in wants the leftover fried chicken. Lowe wants the leftover beer.

Sections
Shortcuts