Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?

Is on waivers from Houston Astro's. Doesnt have an appealing contract.

Should Sox jump on him and cliam he and see if can work out something with Houston?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?

In Response to Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?:
    [QUOTE]Is on waivers from Houston Astro's. Doesnt have an appealing contract. Should Sox jump on him and cliam he and see if can work out something with Houston?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]He is owed $23M in the next two years and has a team option that could vest if the player meets certain performance incentives, so the Astros are motivated to move him.

Given what the Astros just did with Pence and Bourne they don't look like a team on a 1-2 rebuild but rather a longer cycle. So the question really becomes why wasn't he moved at the deadline?

My guess is that the Astros don't want to eat any money and wanted a package not that different than what the Rox got from Cleveland in the Ubaldo deal.

Now from the RS perspective is a $23M + commitment for 2012-2013 in the cards for them with their current payroll and future obligations and other known needs. I am not really sure how that fits in to things when so much money is already tied up in Beckett, Lester, Lackey and Dice K. Even Buch matters because over that timeframe he is due $9M.

Whether the Astros pull wandy back and wait until the winter to make a deal when they will have more time, who knows.

And then you have to ask yourself if Wandy's stats convert in the AL East.

Long answer but I don't think there is a deal here for Boston and wonder if the RS would be reluctant to put in a waiver claim because they just might get called on it. After all they already have $52M committed to starting pitching for 2012 and will need to deal with Ortiz, Papelbon, SS and OF options, along with escalating arbitration figures for Bard and Ellsbury.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

5katz is the voice of reason, as usual. 

Besides, the Yanks right now would have the right to negotiate first, so if there is value there, I would expect the Yanks to seize the opportunity first.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?:
    [QUOTE]5katz is the voice of reason, as usual.  Besides, the Yanks right now would have the right to negotiate first, so if there is value there, I would expect the Yanks to seize the opportunity first.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

I think the Sox should blow a couple of games to get a better position for waiver claims over the Yanks.  That must be why they lost last night, right?
    Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Wandy has posted a cool 3.47 ERA and 1.295 WHIP in 19 starts this season, fanning 106 batters and walking only 38 in 122 total innings.

He’s owed $10 million next season, $13 million in 2013, and has a $13 million club option (or $2.5 million buyout) for 2014. His 2011 salary is $7 million.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

rick,

That's why I included the "right now."  Gives the Sox the option!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez? : I think the Sox should blow a couple of games to get a better position for waiver claims over the Yanks.  That must be why they lost last night, right?
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

be careful what you wish for; with the current starting 5 the SOX could blow more than a couple.
    actually, i have them in 2nd place by the time friday rolls along.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

fivekatz, thanks.

It appears Houston asking price was too high...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez? : He is owed $23M in the next two years and has a team option that could vest if the player meets certain performance incentives, so the Astros are motivated to move him. Given what the Astros just did with Pence and Bourne they don't look like a team on a 1-2 rebuild but rather a longer cycle. So the question really becomes why wasn't he moved at the deadline? My guess is that the Astros don't want to eat any money and wanted a package not that different than what the Rox got from Cleveland in the Ubaldo deal. Now from the RS perspective is a $23M + commitment for 2012-2013 in the cards for them with their current payroll and future obligations and other known needs. I am not really sure how that fits in to things when so much money is already tied up in Beckett, Lester, Lackey and Dice K. Even Buch matters because over that timeframe he is due $9M. Whether the Astros pull wandy back and wait until the winter to make a deal when they will have more time, who knows. And then you have to ask yourself if Wandy's stats convert in the AL East. Long answer but I don't think there is a deal here for Boston and wonder if the RS would be reluctant to put in a waiver claim because they just might get called on it. After all they already have $52M committed to starting pitching for 2012 and will need to deal with Ortiz, Papelbon, SS and OF options, along with escalating arbitration figures for Bard and Ellsbury.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

You could be right fivkatz, but I do believe Wandy could be a great pick up for someone.  The Astros trading Pence, Bourne and now looking to unload Wandy should keep them down and out for years unless some of these youngsters pan out. 

If they were that desperate, then why not dangle the real "money pit" Carlos Lee first?  Not that anyone would want him or his salary but at least try before destroying your roster.  Carlos has a limited no trade clause but there are only 14 teams he could reject a trade to.  I never saw Carlos's name come up once during the trade process.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez? : be careful what you wish for; with the current starting 5 the SOX could blow more than a couple. actually, i have them in 2nd place by the time friday rolls along.
    Posted by the___yazzer[/QUOTE]

I had a cloudy thought this morning, where the Sox blow games against the Yanks this weekend, as they have in the past.  How often have they dominated the Yanks early in the season, only to have the Yanks outplay them head-to-head in August and September?  I hope this doesn't happen again this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

b

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Waiving Hi to Wandy Rodriquez?:
    [QUOTE]Is on waivers from Houston Astro's. Doesnt have an appealing contract. Should Sox jump on him and cliam he and see if can work out something with Houston?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

As things stand now, with the Sox in first place, the Yankees could nab him, before the Sox get a chance to put in a claim.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Sox already have enough left handing pitchers at the same time they got Bedard.  If sox need another starting pitcher by picking him up from a waiver, they are more likely to look for a right handed pitcher.

Wandy was in discussion for a while by many teams including the Sox before Bedard came on the board.

Forget him!!

Yankees would probably want him since he is a lefty at the same time Yankees may see Colon and Garcia both could fall apart within next 8 weeks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no thank you to wandy rodriguez. He has a crappy contract and honestly i would rather give weiland or dubront some starts than wandy rodriguez. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wandy is a very very good pitcher. I'd claim him and give some low level prospects in return. He is worth $23M/2. We need a solid starter who stays healthy.