WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE

love me some wake but the run is over. this isnt charity. who cares if he becomes the all-time sox winner if he is barely functional and we have better alternatives? because we are in the playoffs regardless and can afford a 6 man rotation for now, i will run him out there til he gets win 200 but that his last charity award. aceves should be given a 3 year deal. he can keep his present role but be the acknowledged main spot starter if someone goes down. a wheeler could competently fill his present multi-innings role. we could even put miller in that role. both are better options that wake going forward. as a 5th starter, i would keep my options open and open it up for competition. no need to panic over our pitching for next season. bring back the band boys minus WAKE! perhaps the yanks could sign him.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE

In a blowout early, bring in Wastefield in the 5th for one inning and give him his gold watch and tell him to retire or release him!

Aceves should get the 2 to 3M they use on Wastefied, and a little more and a 3 year deal with a large advance bonus on the contract.

Pray we never see wakefield again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Aceves wants to be in someone's rotation.  I highly doubt he comes back here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE:
    [QUOTE]Aceves wants to be in someone's rotation.  I highly doubt he comes back here.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]HE ALSO WANTS TO WIN. THE FACT THAT HE CANT CRACK THE TOP 5 IS PROOF OF HOW great things are. dont think ny will want him back for how he left. apart from the sox or phillies (he's not cracking their top 5 either), where can he go for a guaranteed high profile playoff run over the next 3 years while playing a major pitching role? he has said repeatedly that starting isnt important to him snake. he just wants to pitch. i will take him at his word. 

plus like with miller, he has found a niche and a home with the sox. despite his record, think aceves over time is much better in the bullpen than as a statrter both healthwise and stuffwise. when top teams see him a third time he gets hammered. after 5 straight starts, scouts can figure him out. as parcells said, there are no accidents. you are what you are. aceves is what the sox says he is! 

just give him wakefield's 3.5m or 10M over 3 years and be done with it. let him, bedard and miller battle it out in spring training for the 5th role. y would he say no to that? the 2 losers or the loser not named bedard gets to play a major role in the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE:
    [QUOTE]love me some wake but the run is over. this isnt charity. who cares if he becomes the all-time sox winner if he is barely functional and we have better alternatives? because we are in the playoffs regardless and can afford a 6 man rotation for now, i will run him out there til he gets win 200 but that his last charity award. aceves should be given a 3 year deal. he can keep his present role but be the acknowledged main spot starter if someone goes down. a wheeler could competently fill his present multi-innings role. we could even put miller in that role. both are better options that wake going forward. as a 5th starter, i would keep my options open and open it up for competition. no need to panic over our pitching for next season. bring back the band boys minus WAKE! perhaps the yanks could sign him.  
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

Notice you haven't heard any excuses from the Wake fans who still believe he may be our best option at #6 next season?
      We all like Wake "how can you not" after everything he has given our organization over the years but it's time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) We don't don't know all the 2012 options.
    2) We don't know how much those options will cost.
    3) We don't know what our budget limites will be.
    4) We don't know if we will need 6, 7, 8, 9 or more starters next year.
    5) We do know if Wake decides to play another year, he will be cheap.

As of now, I'll take Wake back next year at $1-2M. He will have to earn his spot as a 5, 6, or 7 starter. He may have to agree to play for Pawtaucket at times. All I know is, I'll take as many options as possible. I'd also be thrilled if next year's 6th starter performs like Wake did this year, that is a team record 11-8, a WHIP of about 1.30, saving the pen by going 6+ IP/GS, and putting us in a position to win more times than not. 

Stop comparing Wake to an ace. He's a 6th starter who did a very good job in the role until his last 2 starts.

Please look at Wake's 17 starts since becoming a regular on May 22nd. He has the most GS and IP of any Sox starter since then. (BTW, our pen owes a lot to Wake.)

Red: OK to very good
    Black: Not bad
    Blue: Bad to horrible

IP  ER  H+BB
    6.2  1   4
    7.0  2   7
    6.0  4   8
    5.1  5   8
    7.0  1   9
    8.0  3   4
    6.0  5 
    5.1  5  11
    7.0  3  10
    4.2  3  11
    6.1  7  11
    7.0  3    5
    6.2  3    7
    7.0  3    8
    8.0  4
    5.1  4    9
    4.0  4  10

Do you really think most teams sign or have a 6th starter who is capable of putting up these numbers?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Moonslav with the stat snipets and Wastefield propaganda, like clock work!

5) We do know if Wake decides to play another year, he will be cheap.

Cheap because he's bad, of course.

Wakefield to a minor league contract that allows him to be sent back to AAA would be fine. But Wakefield says he'll play in Florida if Red Sox remove his booster seat roster spot. I would love to see him pitching for the Rays, not that they would ever allow it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: WAKE TO SLEEP NEXT SEASON AS ACEVES FILLS ROLE:
    [QUOTE]Aceves wants to be in someone's rotation.  I highly doubt he comes back here.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

1) He still has 3 more arb years. Theo will certainly chose to bring him back.

2) He is not the best starter around, but he is a great middle/long man.
    Career:
    as a starter:    2-1    4.18    1.394 WHIP (.722 OPS against)
    as a reliever: 20-1   2.80    1.008 WHIP (.607 OPS against)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Some comfort to see, under the cover of privacy, everyone but Moonslow wants to be rid of Wastefield! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

The secret for Wakefield is the same as the secret for Red Sox in days gone by, prior to 2004.

Which half or large section of the season will we enjoy and which part will we suffer through?

It is disingenuous to appreciate or accept the good part and be startlingly negative about the bad.

Wake has surprised me witrh some really good pitching when I really thought he was done ... and that includes maybe the last two or three seasons ... only to then fall apart completely for stretches as well.  But to be fair to him, this last run of 6 starts hasn't been all on him.  For instance,  4 of the 8 runs he surrendered the other day were directly tied to an error.  If those 4 unearned runs weren't scored, the start, the game, looks completely different.

He us what he is, as unsettled as his knuckler.  If there was only a magic way to know when it would be dancing and when it isn't.

I certainly appreciate what he has done. 

Now, as to Aceves, one can only hope Theo wraps him up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Sections
Shortcuts