Wake up Boston! Nava 37 RBI's! Papi 36 RBI's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wake up Boston! Nava 37 RBI's! Papi 36 RBI's

I've been saying it all season long, let we still have so many bozo know it alls on here who want to complain about not having an All-Star OF'r.

He'll never be accused of being one of the best OF'rs in the league, but when you factor in his offensive production???  His consistency at the plate???  The kid just keeps helping the Red Sox WIN!

Even with 'the most knowledgable fans in the world,' the kid still gets little respect.

Wake up Boston!  Wake up wannabe little gm's!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Wake up Boston! Nava 37 RBI's! Papi 36 RBI's

37 RBI's.....   One more than Papi 

Plenty of runs scored w/ the high OBP

880 OPS

High fielding percentage!

One of 4 guys absolutely carrying this team w/ the bats!!!

What else did you want?

Daniel Nava# 51 172  31  51  8  0  8  37  26  37  0  .297 .397 .483

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Daniel Nava is having a fabulous year at the plate, but I would note that advanced defensive metrics have not been kind to Nava this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=of&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=3&rost=0&age=0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I agree with you, totally.  I've ALWAYS loved him.  How can anyone not?

Agree or not, but Bobby Valentine may be somewhat responsible for this by 'recognizing' his talents last year.  He wasn't even supposed to make the team, but ended up playing quite a bit.

I thought Valentine was an idiot with 'little man syndrome',  but he did recognize Nava.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

'Advanced defensive metrics'?  Are you kidding?

I prefer to believe what I see.  And, I see good things watching Nava playing the outfield.

I just don't believe 'advanced defensive metrics'.  Each to their own, I guess.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Yeah, and Ciriaco should be a starter...right?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Yeah, and Ciriaco should be a starter...right?

Pedro Ciriaco probably does not belong in the major leagues.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5278&position=3B

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Sofltaw wanted Ciriaco to be a starter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

You play Nava to the day he fails.... ride it while you can. 60 games, 6 years, whatever. Great unexpected numbers from Nava!  Everytime I see the neam it makes me think of Neva River.

I hear what you're saying Burr, but it's a pretty tough decision.  ya know?  Middlebrooks, for example, he's doing terrible.  Do you keep him out of the lineup?

I remember when Pedroia first came up and didn't hit at all.  I'm glad the FO stuck with him.  So, it's pretty tough to make that decision.

I'm sure the stat experts out there have the answer, but I don't think Nava has been given the chance to play a whole year without the fear of being benched before making a decision whether or not he should be playing.  The way he's playing this year, it seems more and more like he 'belongs'.....if not with Boston, then somewhere else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hill can always be relied on to kill a Sox player. " Advanced Defensive Metrics."  What a joke.  There seems to be a new geek stat almost daily. Nava has been outstanding. Will it last ? Maybe , maybe not.  Probably not , but at least enjoy it for now. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If you can't see by now that this kid is FLAT OUT a major league hitter, I don't know what you've been watching the past 2 years.  btw...  he played hurt much of last year.

Great plate approach!  Excellent plate discipline!!!

Let the geeks come on with more geek stats.  We'll believe our lying eyes  ;)

Stiffy did want Ciriaco to start at SS!  I thought C was better than he's proving to be.  The kid can't play SS in the mlb.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I admire the stat geeks for the time and effort they put into their information, but feel it's just not objective enough.

Maybe it's because I've played so much baseball for real.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Nava's a worthy platoon guy. But we're a long way from even talking about "year", as in full season."

You really struggle sometimes huh? 

The OPs point is that Nava deserves all star consideration. Obviously that's a stretch, but that's his argument. 

The voting for the All Star game ends in a month, not at the end of the season. Wake up. 

I know this comes as a complete shock to you, but sometimes you are required to make a decision on a player's impact before the entire season is done. 

Of course you reserve the right to do so when it comes to the players you can't stand, like Dempster or Drew. No full season sample size needed there. 

As for the OP, I don't see Nava as an all star and his fielding is far from special, but I'm not sure you're right that Sox fans don't value him. Most fans I talk to day to day love what he brings. It's possible your beef is more with the media and casual fans...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Nava according to softlaw is not the leader Bradley is.

LMAO

HAHA!!!!!  Yeah....but let's not forget... Bradley won an NCAA championship.....that trumps the World Series titles won by Ortiz and Lester ANYDAY!!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

You play Nava to the day he fails.... ride it while you can. 60 games, 6 years, whatever. Great unexpected numbers from Nava!  Everytime I see the neam it makes me think of Neva River.

Agreed, Burrito.  It's like the Sox are playing with house money with Nava.  I'm pleasantly surprised by how well Nava is playing and I hope it continues, but I have to admit I'm skeptical that it will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Nava is a platoon guy having a career year.  He just might have a full season like this in him.......but don't be a Homer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Nava is a platoon guy having a career year.  He just might have a full season like this in him.......but don't be a Homer.

How is it being a homer to state the obvious.  The guy is having an All-Star season well over 1/3 of the season in. 

Nava has never had a legit. shot at an entire season primarily because of the bias that keeps slower outfielders on the bench.  This is not a mystery.  I get it.  It actually makes sense to want a guy out there with wheels.  The problem????  This growing bias in favor of the flashy & FAST players would have kept Trot Nixon on the bench.  I am struggling to recall ONE PLAY where Nava did not make a play because of his wheels.  He positions himself well, and can ACTUALLY THROW BETTER THAN MY MOTHER!

As for the consistency of his bat?  That should now be manifest knowledge.  Again, he has never had a consistent, long term shot at an every day OF'r.  What is it that folks just don't get about this.  Too many parrots on here that love to spout conventional wisdom, but likely don't watch most of the games????  Too many stat geeks who can't be bothered with actually WATCHING & thinking for themselves.  If given the entire season, playing at least 145 games......  this 'PLATOON PLAYER' is going to eclipse 100 RBI's!

Get a grip parrots!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Nava is playing great. It's an example of opportunity, perseverance, and talent all coming together at the same time. I love his approach to the game. I only wonder if maybe he should consider just batting LH permanently. I'm not convinced that switch hitting gives him any advantage. But he has earned the chance to show what he can do as a full time player.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I've been saying it all season long, let we still have so many bozo know it alls on here who want to complain about not having an All-Star OF'r.

He'll never be accused of being one of the best OF'rs in the league, but when you factor in his offensive production???  His consistency at the plate???  The kid just keeps helping the Red Sox WIN!

Even with 'the most knowledgable fans in the world,' the kid still gets little respect.

Wake up Boston!  Wake up wannabe little gm's!!!

B I N G O  !!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Nava is playing great. It's an example of opportunity, perseverance, and talent all coming together at the same time. I love his approach to the game. I only wonder if maybe he should consider just batting LH permanently. I'm not convinced that switch hitting gives him any advantage. But he has earned the chance to show what he can do as a full time player.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

:) 

Love the Jefferson quote!!!

If I were Nava, I would spend the entire off season facing LHP from the left side of the plate.  He explained the other night that he tried it in college, but it "freaked him out.  He simply couldn't do it."  BUT .....  It sounded as though he only tried it once.  They should have forced him to make the switch.  IDK.....  who knows.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Still......

1/4 of his HR are off of LHP

almost 1/4 of his (2nd on the team) RBI's of 37

Save the metric.....   The kid just keeps on PRODUCING!

HE IS ONE OF 4 GUYS CARRYING THIS TEAM ON OFFENSE!!!!

WAKE THE HELL UP PARROTS!

;)

Sections
Shortcuts