Wake up Boston! Nava 37 RBI's! Papi 36 RBI's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Wake up Boston! Nava 37 RBI's! Papi 36 RBI's

What nava isgoing is great, and he is a clear example that you can never scout everyone.  But don't expect him to be a starting outfielder in Boston for the next 4 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

What nava isgoing is great, and he is a clear example that you can never scout everyone.  But don't expect him to be a starting outfielder in Boston for the next 4 years.

Does it matter? I feel like he is an All Star because his stats are comparable to the Trout's and Longoria's. Is he playing over his head maybe but he is the best outfielder the Sox have right now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I admire the stat geeks for the time and effort they put into their information, but feel it's just not objective enough.

Maybe it's because I've played so much baseball for real.

One purpose of the advanced metrics is to provide a more objective assessment through a systematic analysis.

One analogy might be a single physician's assessment of a pharmaceutical based on that physician's anedotal experience prescribing that drug to his or her patients. Contrast that assessment with a systematic and controlled clinical study of that drug with a large sample of patients. The persons who gather and analyze that information may or may not be physicians, but the competent physician will give the clinical study great weight if the study is conducted within accepted guidelines.

Just a thought.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Boring.

Said the slow kid in the back of the class.

Just kiddin'.Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Does it matter? I feel like he is an All Star because his stats are comparable to the Trout's and Longoria's. Is he playing over his head maybe but he is the best outfielder the Sox have right now.

[/QUOTE]

Yes he is....I'll be voting for him. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Nava's a worthy platoon guy. But we're a long way from even talking about "year", as in full season.

Yes, and this is clearly your refuge for all of your absolute negative criticisms that, at a third of a season, are not panning out.  Gives you wiggle room.  Thats cool.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Nava's having a terrific year, but I'm not ready to vote for him.  Too soon.  Ortiz is getting the votes because he is great this year and in many previous years.  Ellsbury made in 2011 because he was not only having a terrific year, but had had a pretty good year in 2009, not bad in 2008, and very good in 2007 (partial--it was his callup year). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I've been saying it all season long, let we still have so many bozo know it alls on here who want to complain about not having an All-Star OF'r.

He'll never be accused of being one of the best OF'rs in the league, but when you factor in his offensive production???  His consistency at the plate???  The kid just keeps helping the Red Sox WIN!

Even with 'the most knowledgable fans in the world,' the kid still gets little respect.

Wake up Boston!  Wake up wannabe little gm's!!!

I think he's getting respect now. At the beginning of the season, there was and should have been healthy skepticism because of the way he slumped after fast starts in his previous two tours with Boston. Coming into this season, he had 148 games in the majors and 428 at-bats, which is about the same as a full season -- a decent sample size. He has 36 doubles (nice total) but just 7 home runs and 59 RBIs, batting just .243 with a .352 OBP. All that smacks of a decent but mediocre fourth outfielder.

In the spring, anyone projecting him to put up the numbers he has so far isn't being honest. But give him credit. He took advantage of his opportunity and has made the most of it. And so far, there hasn't been a dropoff. His numbers:

April: 4 2B, 4 HR, 16 RBI .289 BA, .385 OBP, .885 OPS
    May 4 2B, 3 HR< 17 RBI .276 BA, .394 OBP, .820 OPS

Very good consistency. If he keeps that up, he'll finish with about 24 2Bs, 21 HRs, 99 RBIs and a .282 BA. Like I said -- no one was projecting that from him.

Unlike many fans/posters (bill is the classic posterboy for this type), I wait for a player to prove himself over time. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon after after six good game nor am I going to throw a player under the bus after six bad games.

I don't HAND anything to anybody because I'm not a hypocrite. I really don't believe in entitled players. I believe in players having to earn their job and earn respect, and Nava has done that. He is a great story.

As an aside, I'm not sure why the Ortiz reference. If you're going to say he has one more RBI than Big Papi, then you should also point out that he also has 46 more plate appearances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Daniel Nava is a great story, but he is not a long term starter.  He keeps defying the odds, so perhaps he is this year and maybe another....but everyone has an envitable talent ceiling that they will hit, and right now Nava is pushing that Ceiling. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Daniel Nava is a great story, but he is not a long term starter.  He keeps defying the odds, so perhaps he is this year and maybe another....but everyone has an envitable talent ceiling that they will hit, and right now Nava is pushing that Ceiling. 

So if his ceiling is .290 BA and 95 RBIs and 20 HRs and he continues to produce those kind of numbers, why isn't he a better than average starter?  Plus, he's always had an excellent OBP. I feel that he could be an inexpensive answer to one of the outfield positions, LF or RF. I don't believe in the nonsense that any player is a "born" 4th outfielder..Which is what some posters insinuate. If he puts up the numbers, then he's a starter, period.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Nava's a worthy platoon guy. But we're a long way from even talking about "year", as in full season.

Except for Ellsbury, Drew, Iglesias, and Bradley.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

So if his ceiling is .290 BA and 95 RBIs and 20 HRs and he continues to produce those kind of numbers, why isn't he a better than average starter?  Plus, he's always had an excellent OBP. I feel that he could be an inexpensive answer to one of the outfield positions, LF or RF. I don't believe in the nonsense that any player is a "born" 4th outfielder..Which is what some posters insinuate. If he puts up the numbers, then he's a starter, period.

He's definitely making a case for himself as a 4th outfielder who plays a lot. If he adds first base to that, even better.

Of course, should we give some credit to Manager John, and how he uses him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[QUOTE]

I've been saying it all season long, let we still have so many bozo know it alls on here who want to complain about not having an All-Star OF'r.

He'll never be accused of being one of the best OF'rs in the league, but when you factor in his offensive production???  His consistency at the plate???  The kid just keeps helping the Red Sox WIN!

Even with 'the most knowledgable fans in the world,' the kid still gets little respect.

I think he's getting respect now. At the beginning of the season, there was and should have been healthy skepticism because of the way he slumped after fast starts in his previous two tours with Boston. Coming into this season, he had 148 games in the majors and 428 at-bats, which is about the same as a full season -- a decent sample size. He has 36 doubles (nice total) but just 7 home runs and 59 RBIs, batting just .243 with a .352 OBP. All that smacks of a decent but mediocre fourth outfielder.

In the spring, anyone projecting him to put up the numbers he has so far isn't being honest. But give him credit. He took advantage of his opportunity and has made the most of it. And so far, there hasn't been a dropoff. His numbers:

Very good consistency. If he keeps that up, he'll finish with about 24 2Bs, 21 HRs, 99 RBIs and a .282 BA. Like I said -- no one was projecting that from him.

Unlike many fans/posters (bill is the classic posterboy for this type), I wait for a player to prove himself over time. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon after after six good game nor am I going to throw a player under the bus after six bad games.

I don't HAND anything to anybody because I'm not a hypocrite. I really don't believe in entitled players. I believe in players having to earn their job and earn respect, and Nava has done that. He is a great story.

As an aside, I'm not sure why the Ortiz reference. If you're going to say he has one more RBI than Big Papi, then you should also point out that he also has 46 more plate appearances.

[/QUOTE]

It is unfair to Nava to complie all his numbers and consider it a full season, but I get your point.....Nava has hit his whole life....at every level.....posters on thsi board talk about how rookies need to prove themselves in the minors at evry level before they move up....Nava did just that.....and his numbers in the majors would be better if last year Bobby V due to all the injuries had no choice but to play him regularly vs LHP.....his numbers vs RHP were good last year and are great this year.....does that make it not a regular and just a platoon OF?....I dont think so.....because Nava has shown an ability t improve himself by hard work....which he has done defensively and as a RHH....I would say Nava has shown he can be a Everyday guy who sits vs tough lefties....other than that he gets on Base way too much and has pop and drivess in runs....he needs to be in the Lineup.....when Ells gets back....I would like to see Farrell go with this Line up vs RHP....Ells(L), Pedey(R), Papi(L), Napoli(R), Nava(L), Middlebrooks (R), Victorino (S), Salty(S), Drew(L)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

I admire the stat geeks for the time and effort they put into their information, but feel it's just not objective enough.

Maybe it's because I've played so much baseball for real.

One purpose of the advanced metrics is to provide a more objective assessment through a systematic analysis.

One analogy might be a single physician's assessment of a pharmaceutical based on that physician's anedotal experience prescribing that drug to his or her patients. Contrast that assessment with a systematic and controlled clinical study of that drug with a large sample of patients. The persons who gather and analyze that information may or may not be physicians, but the competent physician will give the clinical study great weight if the study is conducted within accepted guidelines.

Just a thought.

Hill, I appreciate your analogy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work because there aren't any numbers to measure desire, emotion, pressure, elation, loss etc., etc.  Where was the number that told us Crawford would be a bust?...or Lars Andersen, or any other player who was a 'can't miss'.

Medical practice is called 'the ART of medicine'.  Although it is a science, it's still an 'art'.  Why?  because the practice of medicine doesn't always go according to plan.  There are too many variables...rate of metabolism, deficiency of enzymes, receptor cells, etc., etc.....all things that science is working on.  Why does motrin work wonders on one person, but is ineffective in another?

I appreciate the effort that guys like you put into this, but in reality it is just a mere fraction of the whole event..

I think the human factor is more important than you fellows give credit for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

NAVA HOO!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Actually, it's a 28 AB differential.  Nava does have 28 more AB's....  

Why the comment?  We all acknowledge that Papi is off to a start reminiscent of the OLD, GREAT Papi.  He's off to one hell of a start (Even for Papi)!!!

I think that pretty much sums up my point.  Nava therefore is off to a truly incredible start!  I love to see it.

Also.....  The kid was apparantly playing through a pretty significant injury during a good chunk of that time last year, during the dropoff.  Not to mention, that it was hard for anybody to stay focused last year.  He has never been given a consistent, long stretch of playing time before that.  Tough for the best to get it rolling with spotty playing time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

How bout some love for Mike Carp... he deserves to play more.  Done with the Jonny Gomes experiment.

Kudos to Iglesias covering 3B in-a-pinch for Middy.  Is it possible we have too many talented players to sit anyone?  Tough decisions for Farrell. 

Go Sox!!  Go Bruins !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Why the comment?  We all acknowledge that Papi is off to a start reminiscent of the OLD, GREAT Papi.  He's off to one hell of a start (Even for Papi)!!!

I think that pretty much sums up my point.  Nava therefore is off to a truly incredible start!  I love to see it.

Also.....  The kid was apparantly playing through a pretty significant injury during a good chunk of that time last year, during the dropoff.  Not to mention, that it was hard for anybody to stay focused last year.  He has never been given a consistent, long stretch of playing time before that.  Tough for the best to get it rolling with spotty playing time.

As far as the Ortiz reference, yes, Nava has 28 more at-bats AND 46 more plate appearances. It's an unnecessary reference. Nava's numbers speak for themselves.

And yes, Nava was playing through an injury but the numbers still were what they were. But it is something to consider. However, I don't care what was going on last year with Valentine. Saying it was hard for anyone stay focused is weak. There's always things that a player has to play through. I doubt Nava is saying he couldn't stay focused.

But Nava did have consistent playing time. In 2010, he played in 29 of 34 games and overall 60 of 98, including 20 of the last 30. That's fairly consistent. And he batted .204 over the last 50.

Last year he batted .225 over is last 74 games. Of course, he missed time in August because of the injury. 

Beyond that, whatever excuses you want to give him, the fact is he never showed that he could be as productive he has been over a length of time in the majors. Going into the season, no one was predicting he'd be a 21 HR, 90-plus RBI guy.

He deserves a lot of credit for doing what he has been doing and deserves a lot of respect for that -- now, but not in April when he still was an unknown. Regardless of what he did in the minors, it doesn't always translate to the majors.

I'm not ripping him, but to me, he was still an unproven player at the beginning of the season and his track record, which was a decent sample size, was that of a platoon outfielder at best. I'm glad to see him having a good year. That's what I want players to do -- have an opportunity and seize it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Roy, playing at that level, the psychological aspect is just as important as the physical.  I'm certain you're aware of that.

This being said, just the fact that Nava felt secure in his starting position, had to have a positive impact for him.  The relief, for probably the first time in his playing career, to not have to prove himself had to have helped.

I'm sure you're glad that the FO didn't give up on Pedroia when he was hovering around the Mendoza line for quite a while at the beginning of his career.  I wonder what it would have done to his career if they sent him back to the minors then.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

As far as the Ortiz reference, yes, Nava has 28 more at-bats AND 46 more plate appearances. It's an unnecessary reference. Nava's numbers speak for themselves.

And yes, Nava was playing through an injury but the numbers still were what they were. But it is something to consider. However, I don't care what was going on last year with Valentine. Saying it was hard for anyone stay focused is weak. There's always things that a player has to play through. I doubt Nava is saying he couldn't stay focused.

But Nava did have consistent playing time. In 2010, he played in 29 of 34 games and overall 60 of 98, including 20 of the last 30. That's fairly consistent. And he batted .204 over the last 50.

Last year he batted .225 over is last 74 games. Of course, he missed time in August because of the injury. 

Beyond that, whatever excuses you want to give him, the fact is he never showed that he could be as productive he has been over a length of time in the majors. Going into the season, no one was predicting he'd be a 21 HR, 90-plus RBI guy.

He deserves a lot of credit for doing what he has been doing and deserves a lot of respect for that -- now, but not in April when he still was an unknown. Regardless of what he did in the minors, it doesn't always translate to the majors.

I'm not ripping him, but to me, he was still an unproven player at the beginning of the season and his track record, which was a decent sample size, was that of a platoon outfielder at best. I'm glad to see him having a good year. That's what I want players to do -- have an opportunity and seize it.

[/QUOTE]

I love it Roy...  Out of one side of the mouth...  (not nec. yours) Nava's first 55 (or whatever it is) games means very little.  It's not a long enough sample!?!!!!  Says the little gm wannabe's (i.e. stiffy et al.)....

Now the vaunted metric changes.......

"But Nava did have consistent playing time. In 2010, he played in 29 of 34 games and overall 60 of 98, including 20 of the last 30" 

So....   60 out of 98 & 20 out of 30 is consistent play, but this year's 1/3+ season is not?

I think we basically agree though.....  He needs to KEEP proving himself, & stay healthy.

MY ONLY CONTENTION is that he be given a FULL SEASON ++++ to prove himself!!!

He's certainly making one hell of a case to be given that opportunity!

p.s.   The Papi example was not gratuitous.  I love Papi!!!  It was simply a very valid benchmark by which to measure the magnitude of this epic & potentially career MAKING (not proving) season.

The kid has NEVER been given a long term shot / committment.  I would be willing to bet big $$$ that he breaks out as a solid mlb player when he lands with a team that gives him that!  You say "he's gotta prove it."  I agree!  I think he will if the Sox don't give up on him.  The diminutive GIANT Pedey would likely agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Nava is playing great. It's an example of opportunity, perseverance, and talent all coming together at the same time. I love his approach to the game. I only wonder if maybe he should consider just batting LH permanently. I'm not convinced that switch hitting gives him any advantage. But he has earned the chance to show what he can do as a full time player.

"Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing than he who believes what is wrong."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Agreed.

I love the fact that Nava keeps proving everyone wrong ... and those who say he's only platoon are probably as wrong as all the other scouts and true baseball people that never gave the "Never Say Die Kid."  

He breaks through barrier after barrier and has his "platoon" of second guessers .... and all he does is work hard enough to make them eat their words.

From that first pitch as a Red Sox, to hearing his remarkable story, to this day .... Nava justy keeps proving all the experts wrong.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Agreed the year is only 1/3 over.  OTOH, how about 600 AB's of .368 OBP / .782 OPS?  Those are his career stats which do include a significant number of games with a bum wrist.  He is looking like a lot more than a platoon guy ... he looks like a bona fide MLB starter.  Let's see how the rest of the year pans out, though, before you eat some crow.  Speaking of Big Papi's alleged career ending injury ... Tongue Out