Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty?

Rob Bradford/WEEI
    TORONTO -- Tim Wakefield, who will become the oldest player in Red Sox history to participate in a game with the next pitch he throws, talked Tuesday night about the chance he might play for another organization.

"It depends on the situation. I wouldn't rule it out," he said prior to the Sox' game against the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. "I want to retire a Red Sox, but I'm going to rule that out."

Wakefield explained that the motivation of playing for another club wouldn't be driven by the desire to win 200 games (he is at 193).

"No, I wouldn't play for personal reasons," he said. "The situation's got to be right. I wouldn't like to go to Seattle and move my family out west or something crazy like that. It would have to be the right situation."

Asked if playing in his home state with the Florida Marlins might be an option, Wakefield explained, "You never know. THere or Tampa, in the dome."

Wakefield is 44 years, 281 days old Tuesday, making him the oldest active player in Red Sox history. The next time he participates in a game he would pass Deacon McGuire, who was 44 years, 280 days old in his last game with the Red Sox on Aug. 24, 1908.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty?

Since Tito doesn't seem to know how to use Wake, it might be beneficial to both parties to send Wake south. I don't think TB needs another starter now. Maybe the Marlins would be a better fit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't understand the question. He's not demanding a trade. If the Sox didn't want him anymore and released him, what ... out of loyalty to the Red Sox he shouldn't be playing for anyone?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to Re: Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty?:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand the question. He's not demanding a trade. If the Sox didn't want him anymore and released him, what ... out of loyalty to the Red Sox he shouldn't be playing for anyone?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

If Wake still wants to pitch after this season WHY NOT?  It just shouldn't be in Boston "like Varitek" because neither can really help our club improve.  Either way I see both Wake and Teks numbers being retired here at some point and maybe even offered a FO or coaching position.  Wake has been more loyal than any other player and owes us nothing at this point. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc52jc. Show jc52jc's posts

What have you been smokin' ? If it wasn't for the Boston Red Sox... wakefield would have been working part-time cutting golf greens in Florida 5 years ago!
    What is it like to be so easily mis-lead?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc52jc. Show jc52jc's posts

In Response to Re: Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wake won't rule out playing for another team-Does he owe the Sox loyalty? : If Wake still wants to pitch after this season WHY NOT?  It just shouldn't be in Boston "like Varitek" because neither can really help our club improve.  Either way I see both Wake and Teks numbers being retired here at some point and maybe even offered a FO or coaching position.  Wake has been more loyal than any other player and owes us nothing at this point. 
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]
    I disagree... The one thing you get from wakefield is  ( 5.70 ERA... 11 wins & 37 losses in his last 48 games, including 26 starts ) mediocre, crappy, batting practice, even last place in batting Minnesota Twins can light up his sorry old @ss!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc52jc. Show jc52jc's posts

wakefield is 45 years old... if wakefield started every fifth day... he would break down... after like 5 - 6 starts... One of the problems is the Boston Red Sox are too arrogant... they think they are better than they really are... they have the luxury of carrying 45 year old wakefield... spot start against weaker teams.. all in the name of tim wakefield getting his " 200 wins.. and/or 194 wins in a Red Sox uniform ".. to have wakefield the most wins in the organization! THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT! Its wrong... its very, very, wrong! Boston Red Sox Nation is being taken for a ride here! IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THIS... THATS WHY THIS TEAM IS NOT WINNING GAMES! ( 89 wins... 73 losses )

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i pray Wake gets traded...he is taking up a roster spot and not effective in relief...he's still not a bad spot starter but I think at this point in his career he is like Smoltz....he has no clue how bad he is and refuses to see the truth....pity the poor team that trades for him and throws him in eavery 5th game....i dont think any team wants him at this point (and if there a team that does, gift him asap 4 NOTHING in return) the open roster spot is bonus enough

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox probably have not ruled out replacing Tim Wakefield with another pitcher.

Do the Sox owe Wakefield an apology?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Trade him to the Rays right now, then he can shutout the Sox two to three times this season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyBoston4. Show DeweyBoston4's posts

No apology necessary either way it goes. My guess is that the question was rhetorical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Wake at this point the redsox might be the only team that wants you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

[QUOTE]Wake at this point the redsox might be the only team that wants you.
    Posted by majormathew[/QUOTE]

Wake and Tek could be traded somewhere but I doubt either want to play softball for an industrial league team.  They need to say their prayers at this point Boston keeps them employed, not to disrespect the good years but they are dead and gone.