Wakefield and Varitek Pondering 2M offers from Cubs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Re: Wakefield and Varitek Pondering 2M offers from Cubs

You have no sense of humor. And one way to stop my demand not to offer MLB FA contracts to Varitek and Wastefield is to see them trying out in spring training, for the Royals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield and Varitek Pondering 2M offers from Cubs:
    [QUOTE]You have no sense of humor. And one way to stop my demand not to offer MLB FA contracts to Varitek and Wastefield is to see them trying out in spring training, for the Royals.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]  GREAT POST SOFTY......  LUCCIANO's WOULD BE SMART TO MAKE YOU A  V P  ON THAT TEAM !!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

see moon there is you problem, you actually dig up a stat to refute my post... when the simple truth is that Tek cannot catch very well, they both blow, and so what? They need to go - your stats are hollow in regards to these two. We are using common sense now. No more L-R-L-R bologna, just common sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Someone needs to post the W/L record when each of the reserves starts, as one can be certain one of them will have a high W/L team baseball percentage. It is 2nd grader to claim the team wins with Varitek but not with other catchers.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Great. Bring the old boys club to Chicago. That will work Theo. Hopefully they take the offer. Both of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]see moon there is you problem, you actually dig up a stat to refute my post... when the simple truth is that Tek cannot catch very well, they both blow, and so what? They need to go - your stats are hollow in regards to these two. We are using common sense now. No more L-R-L-R bologna, just common sense.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burr, I'd love to have a brand new young catcher who is great defensively and handles the staff well. Right now, we have bigger worries, namely SP4, SP5, Sp6, Closer, DH, and even RF is a bigger concern than catcher. We don't have the cash to sign a FA catcher and still meet all our other needs. We don't have a ton of prospects to trade for an established catcher either. We are stuck with Salty, and I hope and pray he learns real quick. Lava will likely be the DH is Papi walks, and if that and only that happens, we will need a very very cheap experienced catcher to catch 30-50 games next year. VTek is not the only option for that role, but he is capable of helping us win, especially if he remains Beckett's personal caddy (there's his 30 starts right there).

I have suggested trading Salty, and going with Lava as the FT catcher. He can't be any worse than Salty behind the plate... and please don't bring up Salty's CS% as if that is the only measure of a catcher's defensive abilities. 

I won't mind if VTek is not back here next year, but I am expecting a drop off in a few pitcher's ERA and effectiveness as a result of his departure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

We don't have the cash to sign a FA catcher and still meet all our other needs

False. Hernandez on a 1 year 3 to 4M deal option 2 @ 3 to 4M buyout 1.5M can most certainly be afforded. Varitek and Wastefield cost almost 6M in 2011.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]We don't have the cash to sign a FA catcher and still meet all our other needs False. Hernandez on a 1 year 3 to 4M deal option 2 @ 3 to 4M buyout 1.5M can most certainly be afforded. Varitek and Wastefield cost almost 6M in 2011.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

What Wakefield and Vtek made last year has no significance to what the Sox can afford to pay a catcher for 2012.

We already spent much of the savings of losing Paps and Drew on AGon and the Buch extension. The arb raises will eat up the rest. By my numbers we have about $8M to spend and stay at last year's payroll numbers. (That does not incluse Papi.) We need a closer, 2-3 starters, a DH, and maybe a RH'd RF'er. We have Salty and Lava. Neither are great defensive catchers by any stretch of the imagination, but they are also not even close to our biggest weakness or improvement need area. Even if we could get Ramon Hernandez for the $3-4M you suggest, there is no way it is happening. Plus, Ramon is not the same catcher he used to be. Looking at just his CS% is being short-sighted, something you have become an expert at recently.

FYI, 2011:
    Ramon had 3 PBs and 26 WPs: Total 29/658 innings (4.4%)
    VTek  had   6 PBs and 17 WPs: Total 23/575 innings (4.0%)

In the past 2 years...
    Ramon has 5 PBs& 58 WPs in 1390 innings caught. 63/1390 (4.5%)
    VTek has allowed 7 PBs and 20 WPs in 850 innings. 21/850 (2.4%)

Last 3 years...
    Ramon: 5 PBs and 72 WPs in 1841 innings.  Total 77/1841 (4.2%)
    VTek:     8 PBs and 41 WPs in 1774 innings   Total 49/1774 (2.8%)

I wouldn't normally count WPs against a catcher, but softy did with VTek and salty earlier this year, so I thought I'd use his own criteria to show how silly his ideas are. I won't get into the poor CERA numbers by Ramon, since it's all "voodoo" anyway.

Ramon threw out 37% of the runners trying to steal this year 23/62. If he had Vtek's 14% rate, there'd have been 9CS /62 attempts. I guess 14 SBs means so much too softy on defense, but when Jacoby steals them, they are worthless.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]You have no sense of humor. And one way to stop my demand not to offer MLB FA contracts to Varitek and Wastefield is to see them trying out in spring training, for the Royals.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

It seems to me only a child would put that thread title up. Most people reading the board would think it was real, not unlike myself. Why didn't you just put "gotcha" on the OP? You know, because it would make it even funnier.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" It seems to me only a child would put that thread title up."

Softy isn't a child, alas, but an emotionally underdeveloped cyberbully. Too bad as he does have some good baseball knowledge in his prejudiced brain. 

At this point neither Wake or Tek are coming back, so in a sense he got what he wanted but like all bullies at this point he wants to twist the knife.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DutchBostonian. Show DutchBostonian's posts

Am i the only one who thinks that Varitek should NEVER sign for another team? I kinda hope he retires, otherwise we need to get him some sort of a player/coach contract.
    I know his numbers and value are way down but i think his #33 needs to go up so he HAS TO retire as a Red Sox (or did they toss that rule) He was the captain of the WS teams, and without his fight with A-Rod we might still be whining and complaining about never winning it all

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Am i the only one who thinks that Varitek should NEVER sign for another team? I kinda hope he retires, otherwise we need to get him some sort of a player/coach contract. I know his numbers and value are way down but i think his #33 needs to go up so he HAS TO retire as a Red Sox (or did they toss that rule) He was the captain of the WS teams, and without his fight with A-Rod we might still be whining and complaining about never winning it all
    Posted by DutchBostonian[/QUOTE]

Good for you for a little loyalty and respect for a player's contributions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Tim Wakefield and Jason Varitek will always be thought of with appreciation by fans.  However, the team must move on.  It needs to improve the pitching staff as the depth everyone thought the team had, disappoint because of injuries and poor performances despite Tim and Jason's loyalty and efforts, neither could have done anything to remedy the swoon of the team with their performances or their leadership.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Hank's posting is completely false. Just posted to push some buttons.

Wakefield won't get a $2M offer and neither will Varitek.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

maybe a RH'd RF'er

Maybe? Try RH OF'er, you fogger.

Your comparison to Varitek for Hernandez is snipet and pitiful. No one would even suggest Varitek compares at all.

As for whether it happens, it most certainly should happen. I am not the gm, so whether it happens is not my call. But it isn't yours either, or Adam Dunn would be under long term contract.

As for the money, I provided the budget details on the entire under contract and prospective fit roster including arbitration high side. Your claim that Hernandez can't be afforded for one year and 3 to 4M is laughable!!!!!!!!!!! 

Folks, this nut job Moonslob advocates paying Varitek and Wastefield 3 to 4M, but claims Hernandez can't be afforded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Varitek is replaced by Salty or/and Lavarnway.

Wastefield is replaced by Aceves or farm hands.

Cost dropped = 2 to 3M

Hernandez can be afforded, Wastefield and Varisuk cannot be afforded!!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Sounds good. Those are good guys, and will add value to their teams. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Amazingly some people on this thread actually think it is true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Talk about ignorance My God!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Anyone who would even ponder if the thread title is true is more out to lunch than the resident circle jerk.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean the circle jerk who started this 357th thread on our back-up catcher and 7th starter.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No, I mean the circle jerk of hyperbole who thinks that nearly 6 million for two 40 plus parasites should be repeated in 2012. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nobody has said $6M for Wake and Vtek. The most I've seen is $2M each. The most I've said to offer is $1.5 each. 

Stop jerking the circle.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

You claimed Varisuk and Wastefield were good values at 5.75 million in 2011. Now you claim 3M is good value and fit. Absurd! Old men tend to love old men.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They were good values at $5.75M.

The team went 12-11 in Wake starts.

The team went 42-22 in VTek starts. As a back-up he had better numbers than 14 starting catchers and more innings caught than all but 2 MLB back-up catchers.

Tell us again how your choices of Bill Hall ($4.25M) and A. Miller was better than VTek/Wake for about the same money. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

They were good values at $5.75M.

LOL! Then why the 3M offer to the begging parasites for 2012?

The team went 12-11 in Wake starts.

Team record when each bench guy starts is just as useless and meaningless as a measure of individual player performance. Each bench guy who starts can be snipped to debunk your unproveabe individual to team cause and effect for these two parasites. 
    The team went 42-22 in VTek starts. As a back-up he had better numbers than 14 starting catchers and more innings caught than all but 2 MLB back-up catchers.

Team record when each bench guy starts is just as useless and meaningless as a measure of individual player performance.

Tell us again how your choices of Bill Hall ($4.25M) and A. Miller was better than VTek/Wake for about the same money.

Bill Hall offer was as a reserve and 3M over 2 years. Varisuk and Wastefied cost nearly 6 million. Your numbers on offense for numbers including NL reserve catchers is pitiful. Varisuk stinks on fielding the position and is washed up at year end like clock work. 

Change is coming when Cherry says "if any role at all" when describing the 45 year old fat belly contract begging parasite.

Tell the readers about Wastefield stating he deserves a roster spot so fans can see him break a record. Tell the readers about his pitiful begging agent saying if Cherry will welfare another contract year then Wastefield promises to retire.

Run this fat parasite out on rail, Ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Maybe the Boy Blunder is after the real prize, C. Crawford. Theo loved Carl last year, maybe he still is under the man love spell.  $300 million for Albert and $120 mil for the balance of Carl's deal, that would take care of the Cubs payroll for the next few years.

By the way when do we receive the compensation , from the Cubs for stealing the genius?