Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End?

CF is mostly about defense. His UZR 150 is the bottom tier in the league. Not that his career OBP is anything to hang a hat on.

Now, based upon these two months samples, I'm going to ask you the following about your beloved "Ells":

1. Are you going to extend him or sign him as a FA?

2. If so, how much are you willing to pay to keep him away from all the other teams that will be chasing this base stealing and on-base machine?

Crawford is heading to RF or CF, next year, if I had anything to say about it. And I'm looking to trade for Kemp or other solid young RH OF'er. Whatever the arbitration costs are for "Ells" will be part of the money used for a solid young RH OF'er.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End?

In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : Nice try JB-3!  BUT....  OBJECTIVE FACTS don't matter to GM, SoldRed!!! The guys is a classic narcissist....  They easily push aside / ignore inconvenient facts & quickly change the subject or redirect their argument.  Who cares!  Just enjoy watching him flail about, grasping at straws.... Me personally????  I have never cared much for preaching to the choir....  I like to have some people who question?  This guy just happens to ALSO BE A MORON!  That's ok!  We NEED all kinds!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'm a fan of Softy/GM/etc.  While he is very often simply stirring the pot, I do find it fun to find the holes in his argument, which usually means doing some research and in turn gaining a greater understanding of the state of affairs in MLB.  He serves a very valuable purpose on the forum IMO.  As long as you see him for what he is of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End?:
    [QUOTE]CF is mostly about defense. His UZR 150 is the bottom tier in the league. Not that his career OBP is anything to hang a hat on. Now, based upon these two months samples, I'm going to ask you the following about your beloved "Ells": 1. Are you going to extend him or sign him as a FA? 2. If so, how much are you willing to pay to keep him away from all the other teams that will be chasing this base stealing and on-base machine? Crawford is heading to RF or CF, next year, if I had anything to say about it. And I'm looking to trade for Kemp or other solid young RH OF'er. Whatever the arbitration costs are for "Ells" will be part of the money used for a solid young RH OF'er.
    Posted by SoxSoldRed[/QUOTE]
    Matt Kemp, the player that already has a career UZR of -41.1 at the age of 26? The one that will likely cost around $13 million next season? Ellsbury has a career UZR of 13.9. In comparison, of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]CF is mostly about defense. His UZR 150 is the bottom tier in the league. Not that his career OBP is anything to hang a hat on. Now, based upon these two months samples, I'm going to ask you the following about your beloved "Ells": 1. Are you going to extend him or sign him as a FA? 2. If so, how much are you willing to pay to keep him away from all the other teams that will be chasing this base stealing and on-base machine? Crawford is heading to RF or CF, next year, if I had anything to say about it. And I'm looking to trade for Kemp or other solid young RH OF'er. Whatever the arbitration costs are for "Ells" will be part of the money used for a solid young RH OF'er.
    1) No, I would not look to extend him or sign him as a FA.  I would test the market this winter to see what sort of return I could get for Ells, looking for a RH OF or a catching prospect or young pitching (in that order).  That is naturally subject to change based on the progression of Salty this season.

2)  Moot point since I answered "No" to 1.

If CF is all about defense, why do you want a player whose career UZR/150 in CF is -11.6 compared to Ells' -0.5?

With a solid 2011 from Ells, I see his arb cost as ~ $4.5M (Michael Bourne is the comp I'm using).  We could see that raise up to about the $5M mark based on HR's this year.

Please explain this one to me.  You don't like Crawford's arm, you've criticized it numerous times, and yet you want to move him to RF at Fenway (big RF)?  I'll grant you that his speed would be more valuable in RF than LF at home, but his arm would be even more exposed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : Honestly I'm a fan of Softy/GM/etc.  While he is very often simply stirring the pot, I do find it fun to find the holes in his argument, which usually means doing some research and in turn gaining a greater understanding of the state of affairs in MLB.  He serves a very valuable purpose on the forum IMO.  As long as you see him for what he is of course.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Agreed JB-3  :)

I really don't like the whole "ban" anyone who says things I don't want to hear crowd!  It rubs me the wrong way!  Ironically, it is the flip side of the "ONLY CHILD" syndrome....  Mommy & daddy always told me I have the God given right NOT TO HEAR things I don't like!  It's a very juvenile attitude!  If you think somebody's just "stirring the pot?"  Don't pay attention to them!  I do get that it sometimes becomes a pain in the @$$ when some moron wants to just argue some inane point, as GM is certainly want to do.......   Oh well!!!   :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : Matt Kemp, the player that already has a career UZR of -41.1 at the age of 26? The one that will likely cost around $13 million next season? Ellsbury has a career UZR of 13.9. In comparison, of course.
    Posted by StatsFromLouie[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, my post was using only CF UZR's while Louie was using OF UZR.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Very hard to patronize with stones thrown from a glass house. Claiming that "Ells" is an average defensive CF'er based upon UZR has no basis in the metrics. When it was pointed out where he actually ranked in UZR 150, 19th out of 24, with a negative 3.7 and negative .7 UZR.

But it's not facts you are looking for.

I have to say that you serve no valuable purpose on this forum, because it doesn't take "research" to refute the obvious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : Source please?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

It's obviously a joke but Wakes career will and probably should end soon.  He can still have some amazing games as we have all witnessed but there will be more poor performances than good. 

I'm more upset with the Lackey signing than Crawford who I feel will snap out of it.  Lackey's contract probably prevents him from being traded unless the Sox suck up a huge bunch of his contract but in my opinion we would be better off without Dice and Lackey on the team.  Aceves and one more solid starter to go along with Clay, Josh and Jon would work out better  We also need better help in the pen and obviously a good all round catcher.  Salty should be our backup and Tek off the team in favor of a better starter.

Then we should make waves in the AL East.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : Just to be clear, my post was using only CF UZR's while Louie was using OF UZR.
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]
    Very true. Both Kemp and Ellsbury have played numerous games in the corner OF spots to boost that overall UZR. Which makes me wonder how bad Kemp really is to bring his career number down to -41.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

:) 

Your turn GM :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

GM????

Again you change the subject when it doen't go your way......

WAKE???  We all know Wake is pretty close to the end of his career....  Tell us something we don't know!  REAL RS fans still see his value!!!  Sometimes it bites us in the butt, but we still would rather go with Wake than so many others.......
    WE still love the guy!  Sometimes our love for the guy defies logic!  WE DON'T GIVE A RIP!  A guy like you CAN'T understand that!  YOU have NO Red Sox HEART!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OUR hearts have been rewarded this year!  2 out of 3 starts?????  Priceless!
    *  Not to mention AWESOME!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

[QUOTE]GM???? Again you change the subject when it doen't go your way...... WAKE???  We all know Wake is pretty close to the end of his career....  Tell us something we don't know!  REAL RS fans still see his value!!!  Sometimes it bites us in the butt, but we still would rather go with Wake than so many others....... WE still love the guy!  Sometimes our love for the guy defies logic!  WE DON'T GIVE A RIP!  A guy like you CAN'T understand that!  YOU have NO Red Sox HEART!!!
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

I actually still like Wake over Lackey or Dice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]Very hard to patronize with stones thrown from a glass house. Claiming that "Ells" is an average defensive CF'er based upon UZR has no basis in the metrics. When it was pointed out where he actually ranked in UZR 150, 19th out of 24, with a negative 3.7 and negative .7 UZR. But it's not facts you are looking for. I have to say that you serve no valuable purpose on this forum, because it doesn't take "research" to refute the obvious.

What if I rephrase to say that his defense in CF heading into 2011 has been that of a replacement level CF?  I simply claimed he was an average fielder based on the formula for UZR, not on the rankings of the UZR's of CF'ers.  Meanwhile Kemp has been a butcher in CF and you would rather have him.  I'm still waiting on your reasoning behind that one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield Heads Towards 45, Possible Hip Surgery, Is his Red Sox Career about to End? : I actually still like Wake over Lackey or Dice.
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!  I have NEVER been a fan of Lackey!  I never believed the hype about Dice-K before he came here!  Nonetheless, I was hopeful with respect to him....  2007 he was useful!  2008 he had a pretty good season...  Then came the off-season injuries & the obfuscation!!!!  I have been hopelessly frustrated with him since!!!  I was done with the guy 2 years ago! 
    WAKE??????  He gives you heart & his best effort every game.  Sometimes he just doesn't have it!  Then it's Tito's job to recognize it & deal with it! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Since you can't seem to help yourself, & constantly inject these two into every discussion......  Let's try a bit of logic, if you can follow.....

You come up with a "THESIS" that these two are SUB PAR hitters before the season begins!

Most Sox fans disagree, & contend that they are well above average hitters.....

As the season progresses, both players prove you wrong day in & day out!

You change the subject, & pretend that EVERYONE said that they are both GREAT hitters....  (You like setting up "straw man arguments, as they are generally the only arguments you can win in your own mind).....  Setting yourself up for a defensible argument.....

Is either player a GREAT HITTER?  Probably not!  However both are performing WELL ABOVE YOUR PREDICTIONS!!!!!!!

You can't stand being PROVEN WRONG!!!!!

You keep changing the argument and the metric by which you can measure YOUR PREDICTION!!

Your argument is specious!

When considering YOUR ORIGINAL ARGUMENT, you are CLEARLY WRONG!!!!

You can't handle being WRONG, so you continue to change the subject & pretend that you have always been making the argument that these two are NOT ELITE HITTERS!

Doesn't that sound just a little pathetic??????

You're like the little 4th grader playing "PIG" in the neighborhood.....  "You made it, but you didn't swoosh it....  I swooshed it, so you have to!"  BUT, "you didn't call swoosh!" Say the other kids.  "That's what I meant!"  You squeal.....
    AND you keep right on squealing all day long....... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Squeek like a piggy!"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The dude has so snapped.  For those not familiar with him, it was only a year or two ago that he would make solid contributions.  He is now at the point where he is hitting keys at random.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes, he was actually up for poster of the year two years back.
    He's slid faster than a drunk on ice. Just total regression.

Moon, that pic was perfect. I'd accompany it with my Deliverance youtube, but it's a bit graphic...and I'd hate to ruin such a fine thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rambo-Part-8. Show Rambo-Part-8's posts

The Forum is bored.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's gotten to the point where I am ignoring most of the drivel. Most is so old and stale; there's nothing more to add. At times, it's hard not to reply, but I am trying to focus on more interesting or enlightning posters.

Wake could no hit the Yanks in the 7th game of the league championship, and he'd comment on the wind blowing in, or some other twist of luck that was the "real cause". It's a sick obsession that has lasted so long; it is now pathological.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]He said it after he said that DiceK would "probably have Tommy John surgery". McAdam is a reliable source. If he says DiceK will have Tommy John surgery, bank on it.

Hey Softy:

Tito says no Tommy John surgery for Dice K.  Should I still bank on it?  McAdam seems to have a faulty source.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Softy was McAdam's source!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

YOU still CLING to the ill-informed notion that Ells. is a sub par CFer...........

In 2010, Theo went out and spent about 15 million on Cameron and moved Bellsbry to LF. He pouted and took a year off for an injury that he claimed didn't get the extra MRI angles that his he requested. Pouting at API, he was outed by Youk. He then returns with a clean bill of health from his own hired MD gun, and rolls in the infield and lasts a few days before being told to go home for the year and come back when he and his agent stop pouting. I suppose it worked, because he's back in CF where I'm sure the Red Sox have no plans to extend him and every plan to trade him.

Metrics prove he's a "subpar" defensive CF'er.

His OBP is now back to the .340's, BA back in the .280's, getting throw out more often, and not the "destined for stardom" guy you love so dearly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

It's "squeal like a pig", and that photo of you Slav is a good reflection of the growing bugger society of which you champion.

I took a class form the man who wrote that novel, in which you were casted as the man in the photo, supra.

Sections
Shortcuts