Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?

BP?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?

And yet he out-pitched Beckett.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?:
    BP?  
    Posted by softylaw

wake is a #6.i think we know that!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?:
    And yet he out-pitched Beckett.
    Posted by harness

That is a dumb statement. You can have Wake on your team and I will take Beckett. Let us see who ends up winning.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster?:
    In Response to Re: Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster? : That is a dumb statement. You can have Wake on your team and I will take Beckett. Let us see who ends up winning.
    Posted by BurritoT

I'm talking one game.
    Isn't that apparent, dimwit?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A great 5/6 starter who has pitches like your typical #3 in well over half his starts this year.

A 'quality start' is 6 innings and 3 runs. 4.50 ERA. That is what you expect from your #3. You expect worse from your #4-5 and better from your #2.

Wake has an ERA of just under 4.5 as a starter this year (4.9 overall b/cf time in pen).

So technically we are very lucky to have a 5/6 starter pitching as a #3 this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

lol. I would just a soon he win and stay on the rotation for 2011... and retire with a 2011 WS ring on his finger... that is all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

As for the postseason anyone who follows this team and the game knows a knuckleball does better in warm weather.

Wake is a wonderful mid-May thru mid-Sept asset, but look at his ERA the first 6 weeks and the last 6 (into the playoffs) and you know he is nothing but a mop-up guy who (like in game 3 in '04) can save the pen in a loss to ultimately help win the series.

but while he pitches like a 3 starter June-August, he can't be one on October, obviously.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think the concern is that there is no dominant #3. It does not matter how decent your #5 guy is if the other team (such as Philly) have better pitching 1-3. Also I see someone like Verlander in Detroit  pitching a CG in the play-offs while Beckett and Lester can barely go 6... if your Ace loses the opener that makes the #3 starters game all that more important.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Wakefield is #3 starter, so says Mo. Role on playoff roster? : wake is a #6.i think we know that!
    Posted by canetime

Which begs the question: Who is #5?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Numbering your starters one through five or six makes no sense. What is the point?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Does anyone know when Bucholz is coming back?  How about we treat Bucholz with some serious Asian Accupuncture? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Mo Rivera says Wake should be on the playoff roster? 
    Where's the link?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Mo wants the Yankees to launch homers in BP. All Yankee players will say put Wakefield on the playoff roster and start him. Aaron Boone says Wakefield has earned it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Again ... who should be No. 5?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Mo Vaughn said Wakefield should have won the 1995 Cy Young. He's been out of baseball long enough that there are deli sandwiches named in his honor and children out there whose only knowledge of Mo is that he is a slumlord...no, he's actually a pretty good guy, trying to help out by running several apartment buildings for the low income people...Mo is da man!!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Does anyone know when Bucholz is coming back?  How about we treat Bucholz with some serious Asian Accupuncture? 
    Posted by Ice-Cream

The latest report that I heard is he may be back to help us out of the bullpen in the playoffs.  You really can't expect much more than that considering how long he has been out.  Even a few innings from Buchholz could help the Red Sox. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Again ... who should be No. 5?
    Posted by LloydDobler

Andrew Miller has shown he isn't a No. 5 starter.    Felix Doubront seems too brittle.
    Weiland lacks experience.    In the playoffs, Beckett and Lester and keep your fingers crossed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Mo Vaughn said Wakefield should have won the 1995 Cy Young. He's been out of baseball long enough that there are deli sandwiches named in his honor and children out there whose only knowledge of Mo is that he is a slumlord...no, he's actually a pretty good guy, trying to help out by running several apartment buildings for the low income people...Mo is da man!!! 
    Posted by dannycater

Mo Vaughan couldn't wait to escape Boston to cash a paycheck fatter than his prominent backside, and it was poetic justice when he got hurt on the first play he handled for the Angels, an injury that helped shorten his career. The "Hit Dog" has found success though, buying up dumpy apartments at an 80% haircut to Fannie Mae, read "THE TAXPAYER", that's you and me kid. Remember when he wanted to be paid what he was worth? Now that he's on the owner side he has no qualms about home town discounts. His ah, acquisition was helped by "friends" in the know. There is a movie in the works about the new king of NY real estate, it's called "Slum-Hit Dog Millionaire".

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/articles/mo-vaughn-expected-to-win-14-bronx-apartment-buildings-at-auction-today

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If Wake is our #3 playoff starter then we're in deep trouble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

i like that term: slum-hit dog millionaire..good one

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Posted by Ice-Cream

I agree Ice-Cream

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The good thing is Wake can only lose 6 more games this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Wake is our #3 playoff starter then we're in deep trouble.

Yes, if we are down 2-0 or tied 1-1. That's why I had wished we'd have done better than Bedard at the deadline.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Wakefield will be the number 5 starter in the playoffs and likely won't start a game, but could come in with long relief. He will be on the playoff roster however so all the wacky overstatements on all sides of this are irrelevant.

Sections
Shortcuts