Wakefield Skipped, but should be released!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Wakefield Skipped, but should be released!

Waste of a roster spot denying investment in youth. 5 plus ERA over 2 years who is a laughing stock circus pulling a Billy Crystal to try and break some meaningless quantity and no quality personal milestone. A distraction and an embarrassment to the integrity of the competion!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!

Release Wakefield before roster expansion!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

You keep posting the same thing.  We get it.  You want Wake released.  OK.  Now move on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Softlaw, I applaud you in at least calling him by his name now, instead of the sophomoric moniker "Wastefield."

Wakefield definitely has hit a rough patch over his past 2-3 starts and deserves to be demoted to the bullpen. With the roster expansion a few days away, there's no point in indignantly releasing him. He can fade into obscurity without hurting the team.

What most of the Wakefield bashers fail to realize is that until recently, Wakefield actually had been out-pitching Andrew Miller as a starter. Hyperbole aside, when the Red Sox chose Wakefield over Aceves a couple months back, it was the right decision from a statistical perspective. Wakefield had a lower WHIP, a lower ERA, and a string of quality starts to his credit. When they selected Wakefield over Miller, it was also the proper decision from a statistical perspective; Miller's WHIP was insanely high, his level of competition borderline minor league (lots of starts against sub-.500 teams), making his mediocrity appear tolerable. But it now appears that Miller turned things around, while Wakefield continues to regress.

If the team cares about winning, it'll demote Wakefield to the 'pen and replace him with Miller in the rotation. The 200-win plateau should still be easily attainable. When the Red Sox next find themselves with a significant lead, pull the starter after 4 innings, let Wakefield pitch the 5th, and then take him out. He'll get No. 200 and then ride out into the sunset, or at least off the Red Sox.

Despite those who claim that Wakefield is total garbage, he's not; he's still a major league caliber pitcher, just not someone a contending team should be relying upon every 5 days. He could easily pitch another 2-3 years with an ERA in the 4 range for a bottom-feeding National League club. I'd like to see him go back to Pittsburgh and provide veteran leadership out of the No. 5 spot in the rotation for the Pirates. He'd also be a solid fit with the Mets or Padres, where his tendency to surrender deep flyballs woudn't hurt him on account of the dimensions of those ballparks.

Tim Wakefield could probably pitch in the majors until he's 50 if he wants to, and as someone who enjoys seeing guys play for a long time, I hope he does it. Just not in Boston.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Tim Wakefield could probably pitch in the majors until he's 50 if he wants to,

Absurd!

Atchinson could remain and another fresh arm added to pen for important days left to roster expansion. It''s always about protecting Wakefield's roster spot. The guy is useless in the pen, where Mac can mop up blowouts.

Get out the booster seat and get this 5 plus ERA for over 2 years Wakefield a booster seat to get 200 wins. Wakefield has been a booster seat roster spot waste for over 2 seasons! Youth, erratic during opportinuty notwithstanding, would have paid far greater dividends by now!

If Red Sox management removes Tim's booster seat roster spot, any GM foolish enough to pick him up will DL him to stall and hope, but release him in less than a season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm glad that a poster who has zero major league wins wants to oust a Boston ledgend from the rotation and also from the team as a whole. So let me ask did your dad fire you from your first job even though you sucked?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Ease up on the exclamation points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I'm glad that a poster who has zero major league wins wants to oust a Boston ledgend from the rotation and also from the team as a whole.

Lou Holz never played scholarship or professional football. Your point.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boston legend, Adam Boone and loser legend.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

*YAWN*

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from frankn. Show frankn's posts

Bump his next start until rosters are expanded and then have him on a short leash.  Coma needs to realize this.  Just yelling for his release doesn't make any sense,   (kind of like jimed) and every solution isn't easy ( like jimed's mother:))

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

What can I say about Wake [Tim Wakefield] going for that 200th career win? We want him to get it pretty bad.  -- carl Crawford

End this booster seat distraction!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!:
    Tim Wakefield could probably pitch in the majors until he's 50 if he wants to, Absurd! Atchinson could remain and another fresh arm added to pen for important days left to roster expansion . It''s always about protecting Wakefield's roster spot. The guy is useless in the pen, where Mac can mop up blowouts.   Get out the booster seat and get this 5 plus ERA for over 2 years Wakefield a booster seat to get 200 wins. Wakefield has been a booster seat roster spot waste for over 2 seasons! Youth, erratic during opportinuty notwithstanding, would have paid far greater dividends by now! If Red Sox management removes Tim's booster seat roster spot, any GM foolish enough to pick him up will DL him to stall and hope, but release him in less than a season.
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Roster expand on Thrusday. The Sox don't play again until Tuesday, so for two games after two games off the Sox should make dramatic roster changes. Drivel.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!:
    Waste of a roster spot denying investment in youth. 5 plus ERA over 2 years who is a laughing stock circus pulling a Billy Crystal to try and break some meaningless quantity and no quality personal milestone. A distraction and an embarrassment to the integrity of the competion!
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Which pitcher do you think is a better use of his roster spot?  Weiland?  Doubront?  Bowden?  I'm not convinced any of them are ready to contribute every fifth day for 5-7 innings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!! : Which pitcher do you think is a better use of his roster spot?  Weiland?  Doubront?  Bowden?  I'm not convinced any of them are ready to contribute every fifth day for 5-7 innings.
    Posted by redsoxfan791

Exactly, how many AL teams have guys with better numbers than Wake as their 6th starter? (Now that we have Bedard, Wake is actually our 7/8th starter if all are healthy)

1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buchholtz
    4) Dice-K
    5) Bedard
    6) Lackey
    7) Wake/Miller

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

The Sox don't play again until Tuesday, so for two games after two games off the Sox should make dramatic roster changes.

One of those games could be a marathon extra inning game. Drivel is on your part.

I'm convinced that Wakefield can't contribute more than a human launching pad and a 5 plus ERA for over 2 years, every 5 days for a few months. Release him!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

The Sox don't play again until Tuesday, so for two games after two games off the Sox should make dramatic roster changes. One of those games could be a marathon extra inning game. Drivel is on your part. I'm convinced that Wakefield can't contribute more than a human launching pad and a 5 plus ERA for over 2 years, every 5 days for a few months. Release him!
    Posted by S0ftl@w

Why am I here on the message board reading your post?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The Sox don't play again until Tuesday, so for two games after two games off the Sox should make dramatic roster changes. One of those games could be a marathon extra inning game. Drivel is on your part. I'm convinced that Wakefield can't contribute more than a human launching pad and a 5 plus ERA for over 2 years, every 5 days for a few months. Release him!
    Posted by S0ftl@w

And if I could kick a 50 yard field goal, I would be a place kicker in the NFL?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

In Response to Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!:
    Posted by S0ftl@w

WHO LOVES YA BABY!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Wake is done.  He has nothing to offer at this point except horrifying losses.  When exactly was the last time he actually won a game?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Release..the hounds....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Posted by S0ftl@w

First let me just say that I agree to the fact that Wakefield should no longer hold the team hostage going after his 200th win, but to release him totally for the rest of the regular season, when he could eat up some innings in a mopup role and possibly save the bullpen, would be wrong.

Secondly, is this the same Softy that has advocated for Ellsbury's ticket out of town over the past couple of years or is that someone else?? To be honest, I can't remember for sure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

He is done! Doesn't fool anyone anymore and at his age he has nothing left. Let him go please!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wakefield has been better than Lackey.

WakefieldLackey
    April5.565.65
    May3.5114.34
    June5.015.28
    July6.234.61
    August5.235.34
    Total5.105.98

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

2 years DW, and Lackey can actually beat Yankees and elite teams on a good day.

Sections
Shortcuts