Wakefield Skipped, but should be released!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Re: Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, Waakefield is a pathetic looking site opn the mound now and doesnt have the honor to simply admit he cant pitch anymore. Or walk for that matter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan23325. Show patsfan23325's posts

I wouldn't release him, i would put him in the Bullpen and bring him in for a batter or two behind the power pitchers on our staff to change the speed of the game and timing of the batters. or eat up innings when we are down by a large margin just to preserve our more quality arms in the bullpen in a much tighter game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

OK, return him to mop up during roster expansion, but he threatened to go to Florida and pouted until he was in rotation this year due to injuries.Too bad DiceK wasnt healthy and Wakefield blew abdominal wall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwTessie. Show mwTessie's posts

Peter Gamons on the post-game show said it is going to be increasingly difficult for Wake going forward.  Even as a knuckleballer, at age 48, he is getting tired.  I didn't actually hear how many games the sample size was over, but Gamons reported that opponent's BA against Wake is like .269 through his first 45 pitches and then jumps to over .370 after 45.  If he's going to get No. 200, looks like he needs a skip in the rotation. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

A booster seat or AAA give up roster opponent is the only way Wakefield is likey to get 200. Booster seat him in 5th of early blowout lead, as it would be fitting for one of many baseball longevity record frauds!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....even during his recent "rough patch" he's done ok for a 6th starter.  Not great, ok:

5 August starts, 31 IP, 18 ER, 5.23 ERA, 20 K, 6 BB...0-2 yet the team won 2 of the 5 games....for fairly short money DURING A "ROUGH PATCH".

I can't understand a rational person not acknowledging how good that is for a 6th starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davescout. Show davescout's posts

In Response to Re: Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Softlaw, I applaud you in at least calling him by his name now, instead of the sophomoric moniker "Wastefield." Wakefield definitely has hit a rough patch over his past 2-3 starts and deserves to be demoted to the bullpen. With the roster expansion a few days away, there's no point in indignantly releasing him. He can fade into obscurity without hurting the team. What most of the Wakefield bashers fail to realize is that until recently, Wakefield actually had been out-pitching Andrew Miller as a starter. Hyperbole aside, when the Red Sox chose Wakefield over Aceves a couple months back, it was the right decision from a statistical perspective. Wakefield had a lower WHIP, a lower ERA, and a string of quality starts to his credit. When they selected Wakefield over Miller, it was also the proper decision from a statistical perspective; Miller's WHIP was insanely high, his level of competition borderline minor league (lots of starts against sub-.500 teams), making his mediocrity appear tolerable. But it now appears that Miller turned things around, while Wakefield continues to regress. If the team cares about winning, it'll demote Wakefield to the 'pen and replace him with Miller in the rotation. The 200-win plateau should still be easily attainable. When the Red Sox next find themselves with a significant lead, pull the starter after 4 innings, let Wakefield pitch the 5th, and then take him out. He'll get No. 200 and then ride out into the sunset, or at least off the Red Sox. Despite those who claim that Wakefield is total garbage, he's not; he's still a major league caliber pitcher, just not someone a contending team should be relying upon every 5 days. He could easily pitch another 2-3 years with an ERA in the 4 range for a bottom-feeding National League club. I'd like to see him go back to Pittsburgh and provide veteran leadership out of the No. 5 spot in the rotation for the Pirates. He'd also be a solid fit with the Mets or Padres, where his tendency to surrender deep flyballs woudn't hurt him on account of the dimensions of those ballparks. Tim Wakefield could probably pitch in the majors until he's 50 if he wants to, and as someone who enjoys seeing guys play for a long time, I hope he does it. Just not in Boston.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

Next r#tard to use the word "Moniker" is going to 
    get a round house....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

6th starter doesnt start. As a 5th starter, he is a 5plus ERA for over 2 years homer or two per nearly every game launching pad.

Stop this 6th starter spin to keep Wakefield around for another 10 frick years! Invest innings in youth! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowpokegrandpa. Show slowpokegrandpa's posts

wow i know u all hate wakefield but damn his last 6 starts he took 3 lossed the bullpe,n blew 3 leads from 6th inning he also took a loss where we scored 1 run score was 3-1 left a game with 4-3 lea dgave to pen they gave up the lead wow i think we shoulsd look at lackeys era compared to wakefield.lackey does hv 11 wins but team scores 10-11 per game for him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowpokegrandpa. Show slowpokegrandpa's posts

[QUOTE]2 years DW, and Lackey can actually beat Yankees and elite teams on a good day.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

softlaw i sit and rea dyour negative post how can u be a true SOX fan all u ever do is talk about relesing veterans. u wanted to release ortiz,even though he led team in hr and rbis wow a true yankee fan

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Moonslow wanted to release Ortiz. I blasted the majority of Red fans who wanted to release Ortiz per Buster Wedgie. 

Obviously, you were here under your other screenname. How are you doing, Moonslow.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Uh oh, Wakefield named starter to open v. Texas. Pray for a ton of runs or for Wakefield to trip over potato salad bucket and tear lap band.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Since Wakefield couldnt get his 200 wins at the same time Boston kept gaining games on the Yankees.  Maybe it is the good thing that ever time Boston loses that nite where Wakefield pitch, Yankees also loses!!

I would not even put Wakefield during the Yankees/Red Sox series.  I think that is the most important series of the season.  If Tito is smart, put the best pitcher out there and try to sweep the Yankees.  If the Yankees loses tonite as well tomorrow, and a sweep by the Sox would easily put the Sox a 5 1/2 lead over the Yankees.  Then maybe Wakefield can pitch one of the game next week, but not every five or six game until the Sox can feel confortable on clinchin the AL East div title.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, Waakefield is a pathetic looking site opn the mound now and doesnt have the honor to simply admit he cant pitch anymore. Or walk for that matter. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous.  Based on what evidence? I think he looks much the same as he ever did (a bit extra weight, but no big deal esp. for an AL pitcher)....he throws at the same speed....still fields his position well.  While in 2010-2011 there finally seems to be some decline in his performance it's not THAT dramatic.  Examples:

Photo of Wakefield from 1992, age 25:

www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.eagletribune.com/archive/x1073356310/g0a0000000000000000bc2ada16d89d6e0a3af683ecbf44ebda1bacbea9.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x1073356312/At-44-Wakefield-like-a-rookie-in-more-ways-than-one&h=243&w=160&sz=6&tbnid=U-LgO7wTuUC3iM&tbnh=194&tbnw=128&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=&hl=en&sa=X&ei=p85aTtyxC4OeOuXohJIM&ved=0CCMQ8g0&usg=__zaVYWd87KXo7oO6JkzhJsAqWKfg=">

In 1996 (age 29), Wakes was 14-13, 5.14, 1.55 WHIP.  In 2011 (age 45) he's 6-6, 5.10, 1.347 WHIP.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

You don't release a guy like Wake. It would create good baseball sense, but it would be a PR nightmare. Besides the next day he's picked up by NYY and wins his 200th the stadium. 

Nah, the Sox have more class than that. They'll give him 5 more tries at 200th, if he gets it good on them, if he doesn't his bad. Either way, he goes politically correct DL right after he gets his 200th.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!!:
    [QUOTE]Waste of a roster spot denying investment in youth. 5 plus ERA over 2 years who is a laughing stock circus pulling a Billy Crystal to try and break some meaningless quantity and no quality personal milestone. A distraction and an embarrassment to the integrity of the competion!

And replace him with Andrew Miller, whose ERA over those same two years in 5.95 and whose WHIP is 1.93?

If the Sox can find a bwtter option, great.  Miller has made a case for himself over 2 starts, but it is also only two starts and it is not hard to envision the guy who had an 8.54 ERA last year in the non-DH league coming back.

As it stands now, the Sox really have bigger problems than Wakefield, and releasing him is likely to create more issues than it solves.  They're weakness is definteily starting pitching, but simply casting aside what they have and hoping for the best is simply not a strategy that will ever work.

It is unlikely they acquire a decent SP at this time to fill Wakefield's role.  But given that every veteran pitcher on the Sox starting staff this year has been on the DL at some point this year or last year, it certainly becomes a foolish option to start jettisoning ANYONE simply to accomodate biased fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Release Wakefield!!!!!!!!!! : And replace him with Andrew Miller, whose ERA over those same two years in 5.95 and whose WHIP is 1.93? If the Sox can find a bwtter option, great.  Miller has made a case for himself over 2 starts, but it is also only two starts and it is not hard to envision the guy who had an 8.54 ERA last year in the non-DH league coming back. As it stands now, the Sox really have bigger problems than Wakefield, and releasing him is likely to create more issues than it solves.  They're weakness is definteily starting pitching, but simply casting aside what they have and hoping for the best is simply not a strategy that will ever work. It is unlikely they acquire a decent SP at this time to fill Wakefield's role.  But given that every veteran pitcher on the Sox starting staff this year has been on the DL at some point this year or last year, it certainly becomes a foolish option to start jettisoning ANYONE simply to accomodate biased fans.
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.

Often times the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I know the devil Wastefield. I'll take the devil I don't know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Besides the next day he's picked up by NYY and wins his 200th the stadium.

Are you joking? The Yankees will pay money to keep Wastefield in Boston!

Why isn't Wastefield starting in Game 3 v. Yankees? He would have 4 days of rest?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Softy was suma cume laude at the Joseph Goebbels' School of how to say the same thing over & over & over & over again, until people want to .................  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I know the devil Wastefield. I'll take the devil I don't know.

Figured you would. Did you have a nice golf game today?
    Did you cheat? Liars often cheat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Liars like to call people liars. Didn't play golf today, family day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

43% fat city liar.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Facts:

Pitch percent Jacoby has seen in the K-Zone:
    2007: 51
    2008: 53
    2009: 51
    2010: 50
    2011: 47
    Career 50%

Percent of fastballs Jacoby has seen:
    07  61
    08  65
    09  68
    10  63
    11  62
    Career 65%

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Pitch percent Jacoby has seen in the K-Zone

Fact: K-zone for location is like telling a golfer it's "about 140 yards to the center". That's a zip code.