Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120217&content_id=26730038&vkey=news_bos&c_id=bos

There it is Softy. One last blast post, then time for you to move on to your next victim.

Although never great, Wakefield was an integral part of recent Red Sox success. I for one wish him well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Re: Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??

Wake has always been one of my faves...in my head, I knew it was time, in my heart, I wanted him to pitch again. 

I'm glad he retired in our uni.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??

In Response to Re: Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??:
    [QUOTE]Wake has always been one of my faves...in my head, I knew it was time, in my heart, I wanted him to pitch again.  I'm glad he retired in our uni.
    Posted by Yoshimi25[/QUOTE]

word

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Time to get off the stage, Tim.

Ben C. and the FO should have a day for him at Fenway, a la Mike Lowell.

200 wins and two WS rings. Not a bad career, Tim. Thanks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.??:
    [QUOTE]Wake has always been one of my faves...in my head, I knew it was time, in my heart, I wanted him to pitch again.  I'm glad he retired in our uni.

I agree. Well said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've never been a big fan of Wake, but have found myself being his defender the last 3-4 years. I'm surprised nobody gave him an invite (or at least we never heard of any). 

Kudos Wake! You had a very nice career here in Boston, including a tremendous 50 consecutive start streak after the Boone HR at ages 41 to 43. Many called for your retirement after 2007, and yes, despite softy's recent lies, so did he. 

Good luck Timothy Stephen!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea, he did have a very nice career...the sting of not being signed this year will wear off quickly when he thinks about his run as a major leaguer...enjoy your retirement....they will have a well deserved day for him im sure....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

"LIKE FINE SHIPS, GOING IN HARMS WAY" !!   THANKS TIM WAKEFIELD.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

This won't be felt untill come summer, when they are looking for old reliable to make a start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield to retire today at 5:00 PM May we now move on Softy/Soft Law/HankWilliamsJr.?? :   word
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

times 1,000,000. I'll bet cha tek isn't too far behind spacebro!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

17 years with one organization and it's like, "about time, let's move on".
    This is a sad day indeed. I would hate to think that most of RSN share the same opionion with many on this forum that would just as soon run Tim Wakefield out of town on a rail.
    He deserves our respect. He has certainly earned it!

Wake should have been offered a contract, he is better than any of the reclamation projects that Cherington has signed.
    I have nothing but contempt for this GM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]17 years with one organization and it's like, "about time, let's move on". This is a sad day indeed. I would hate to think that most of RSN share the same opionion with many on this forum that would just as soon run Tim Wakefield out of town on a rail. He deserves our respect. He has certainly earned it!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

word

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Always liked Timmy (except when facing the Yankees).

A class act, could never understand the bashing here. The kind of a guy you want in your locker room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Sept 23, 1992 as a 6-1 rookie with Pittsburgh, Wakefield pitched a strong game against Montreal, 7 IP, 0 ER, 0 R's, he surrendered a hit and a walk to HOF'ER GARY CARTER, who was playing in the next to last game of his career. Carter would get one more final hit, a game winning double, 4 days later.  He was matched up against El Presidente, Dennis Martinez,(245 wins) who gave up just 2 hits in 9 innings, Moises Alou won the game on a bottom of the 14th Grand Salami...managed by his father Felipe, that had to be special. The game featured two other would be Hall of famers, Barry Bonds and Jim Leyland.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

A gentleman and a very caring man! Boston was good for Wake, Wake was great for Boston.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Very unique pitcher in many ways - the year to year contracts, the mostly undefined role over the last few years, that amazing 70 MPH fastball.  I did feel cheated one of the times I saw him pitch - had a great seat for a game that only lasted a few minutes over 2 hours, but at least it was a win.

Its hard to believe he won't be around as an insurance policy this year.  Then again, others have unretired in the past.  Wouldn't be too hard to imagine them giving Ol' Wake a call in August if a starter or two goes down and the team is still in the race.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Kudos to Wake!

Only Yaz, Ted and Dewey played more years with Red Sox.

Wake will have even more sucess after retirment, maybe the next MLB commish?

Thanks for the great memories!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Very well said Yoshimi.  I'm glad he got to experience redemption after having to walk off the mound in 2003 as the losing pitcher.

Thanks for everything Wake!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Hard to imagine no other team in the majors needed a 15 game winner... I am happy not to hear his name again this spring. Tim was a huge part of the team up until 2011. That first year he was here was awesome.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Wake had a nice run. He got a lot of mileage out of that knuckleball.  It is definitely time to go.  He will be remembered as one of the good guys in the game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Softy can now get back to trying to put Cameron in CF and Ellsbury on the bench where he belongs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Don't cry sour grapes, Joe. Cameron, when healthy, will always be a better CF'er than Ellsbury. Cameron was never healthy, but didn't take an entire year off at young age, either. When the careers end, Cameron's career will be superior and longer. Remember that, Joe, and forget about color for a change.

Now that Wakefield was forced out, not on his own terms, that leaves Varitek. Neither player has MLB contract employment without welfare from the Red Sox.

As for Ellsbury, the sooner the Red Sox trade him, the sooner the team will win a rare AL East division title. Last summer and this winter the opportunity was there to deal him for a true young RH OF superstar who fits because of Crawford's embarrassing contract offer. I look at 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, instead of those who look at 2011 after Agon was added and Pedroia returned to form. Ellsbury has always played defense like he is worred about his FA contract years. He will follow Lowrie in a trade. His trade value will never be higher than it is now, and narrow window to deal Lowrie in higher value trade market was foolishly missed out on. Ellsbury's highest market value has and will always be in the NL.

Truly sad to see media, fans and Wakefield say that he would accept an emergency call back to active roster duty. I certainly hope that Cherry is smart enough to cave back in to silly sentiment and foolish pride.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

one of my favorite people in the game...Wake, you were a credit to the game...the best to you as you write the next chapter...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Here's to you, Tim. Thank you for a wonderful career. A class act, and a great competitor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Don't cry sour grapes, Joe. Cameron, when healthy, will always be a better CF'er than Ellsbury. Cameron was never healthy, but didn't take an entire year off at young age, either. When the careers end, Cameron's career will be superior and longer.

Careers don't matter when you sign a FA.  It's all about what you can do over the life of your contract.  And you can't separate age from injuries.  When you sign someone that old, you need to expect more injuries.

Don't get me wrong.  I thought it was a terrific signing.  I thought Cam, Ells, and Drew could chase down every single ball hit to the OF.  I thought Ells would be a minimum wage Crawford (instead of aminimum wage Joe DiMaggio).  I understood how quickly the decline comes after 35, but chose to ignore it because I like Cam.

But when I knew I got it wrong, I recognized my mistake instead of taking it personally.  It still should've worked out better, but it didn't.

Remember that, Joe, and forget about color for a change.

I love it when you people on the far left fight about which minorities deserve more of our sympathy.  FWIW, the Native Americans are a much smaller minority than you, and are currently treated much more harshly than you.

Here's a hint-don't play the race-bait card with someone that was born in and went to school in the South Bronx.  We're simply better at this than you are.