Wakefield's Selfish Statements

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Wakefield's Selfish Statements

This is directed towards moon and other Wake fans, but I pointed out his selfish comments on the second to last day of the season.

Taking text from Hohler's article:

Wakefield also was part of the problem. Amid a seemingly interminable quest for his 200th career victory, he went 1-2 with a 5.25 ERA in September, taxing the bullpen as the Sox lost four of his five starts. The 45-year-old knuckleballer then appeared more interested in himself than the team when he asserted in the final days of the season that the Sox should bring him back in 2012 to pursue the franchise’s all-time record for wins (shared by Roger Clemens and Cy Young at 192).

“I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record,’’ Wakefield told Fox Sports, raising eyebrows on Yawkey Way.

Absolutely no way should they bring this guy back. They don't owe him anything and if each problem can be eliminated from 2012, then the Red Sox should do so.

And moon dismissed his statements as being misread. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Re: Wakefield's Selfish Statements Pointed Out Dismissed by Moonslav

ty  now bye bye wake

selfish and greedy like most of the rs players

it showed by their EPIC failure

a team NOT worth rootin for

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

Moonscrub is busy calculating Wakefield's IBFP (infield belly flop percentage) to offset the miserable waste of roster space this guy is.

There's some sort of weird love triangle between Wakefield, Theo and Moonscrub.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Wakefield has not be relevant since 2003 playoffs when he won those two games against the Yankees. He had a great run he should go away and run with his 200 victories.

If he hangs around and keeps making selfish statements he will lose future opportunities to be a successful retired ex-red sock.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

He is gone.  The next GM will make it happen!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield's Selfish Statements Pointed Out Dismissed by Moonslav:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield has not be relevant since 2003 playoffs when he won those two games against the Yankees. He had a great run he should go away and run with his 200 victories. If he hangs around and keeps making selfish statements he will lose future opportunities to be a successful retired ex-red sock.  
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Some here (uh, LAW) have been calling for Wakefield to be gone since 2005. When Wake gave up the Aaron freaking Boone home run, he was done as a viable member of the Red Sox pitching staff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You don't know how to read. I said Wake's wanting to win does not conflict with team goals. It is a team goal to win. Every pitcher should want to win. Every player on every team should want to win. If he said he wanted to lose, I'd be worried.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

H e won 17 games in 2007, finished 5th in WHIP in 2008, and was pitching like an ace in 2009 when he made the allstar game then got hurt.

You have an argument if you said since mid-2009, but 2003?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

Wake wanting to win interferes with the Red Sox wanting to win a World Series.

Susan Boyle wants to date George Clooney...does that mean its capable of happening? No wait, what's Susan Boyle's WHIP? OBP? ERA on Thursdays when it snows in Greenland?

Wake is a busted up, broken down shell. Another year of Wake flopping around on the infield in 2012? No freaking thanks.

Hey, Wake would look great in CUBS gear!

Darned Theo Chicks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'm giving Wake a pass on that statement.

Yes, it was the wrong statement at the wrong time. He should have phrased it differently. But in his 17 seasons with the team, he's been a team player on the field and an excellent community role model off the field.

I'm not going to trash a guy just because of one statement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield's Selfish Statements Pointed Out Dismissed by Moonslav:
    [QUOTE]I'm giving Wake a pass on that statement. Yes, it was the wrong statement at the wrong time. He should have phrased it differently. But in his 17 seasons with the team, he's been a team player on the field and an excellent community role model off the field. I'm not going to trash a guy just because of one statement.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I'm giving Wake a bus ticket from South Station to Wrigley Field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

RS let Theo leave, declined Tito's option, why would they even want to bring back over 5.00 era 45 year old pitcher??? Don't worry... Wake's not coming back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]RS let Theo leave, declined Tito's option, why would they even want to bring back over 5.00 era 45 year old pitcher??? Don't worry... Wake's not coming back.
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Please let this be true. Wake go to Chicago.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Wakefield's Selfish Statements Pointed Out Dismissed by Moonslav:
    [QUOTE]This is directed towards moon and other Wake fans, but I pointed out his selfish comments on the second to last day of the season. Taking text from Hohler's article: Wakefield also was part of the problem. Amid a seemingly interminable quest for his 200th career victory, he went 1-2 with a 5.25 ERA in September, taxing the bullpen as the Sox lost four of his five starts. The 45-year-old knuckleballer then appeared more interested in himself than the team when he asserted in the final days of the season that the Sox should bring him back in 2012 to pursue the franchise’s all-time record for wins (shared by Roger Clemens and Cy Young at 192). “I think the fans deserve an opportunity to watch me chase that record,’’ Wakefield told Fox Sports, raising eyebrows on Yawkey Way. Absolutely no way should they bring this guy back. They don't owe him anything and if each problem can be eliminated from 2012, then the Red Sox should do so. And moon dismissed his statements as being misread. 
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

If you did you got it right. This bum has been nothing short of an extortionist for the last three years. Same goes for Varitek. They're both selfish, greedy bums is what they are. And they deserve ntohing less than every ounce of disdain this fanbase can muster up to send their way. God help them if I ever run into either of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]You don't know how to read. I said Wake's wanting to win does not conflict with team goals. It is a team goal to win. Every pitcher should want to win. Every player on every team should want to win. If he said he wanted to lose, I'd be worried.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I think  that is a simplistic way to look at it Moon....of course he wants to win, but what he was talking about the record.....and if his goal is to get the record and the fans have a right to see him go for the record, he is saying the Sox should send him out there as many times as needed for him to get the record...even if they have a better option to win more games during the starts he makes to get the record. Wake seems like he would be content to make 20 starts to get those 7 wins, but if the Sox have an option(granted they may need to acquire some guys) who could get them 10 wins in those 20 starts, the fans have a right for them to staart that guy and not wakefield, because while maybe fans would like to see a record set thye want the team to win even more. We are not talking about a ML setting record here, we are talking about a team record whihc given the teams long history isnt even that impressive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Wake let himself go, his gut got huge, his stamina tanked at year end, he could not even eat innings anymore ... just pizza and beer.    Wake was a great Red Sox member, but so were many, many others that were let go when their time was up.  

And his time is up.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

He did have quite a large gut.  I always cringed when he'd have to hobble off the mound to chase after a squib.  Christ, he needed a walker...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslow is a clueless shill who was totally silent on GM incompetence and the essential need to effectively fire Epstein for the debacle of 2008 to 2011. He and his sidekick Harnut claimed Epstein was going nowhere. In slang terms, he is a homey. I identified Epstein as problem #1 who needed to be fired.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I fought with Moonslav for years on the Red Sox needing to get rid of Theo. I identified Theo as the Sox problem EVERY single offseason.

Moonslav is a Theo Chick. Glad to see Moonie heading to the Windy City with Bill James and the rest of the Geek Squad.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

If Moonslow returns  to Midwest as Cubs fan, less drivel and propaganda on this board.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]If Moonslow returns  to Midwest as Cubs fan, less drivel and propaganda on this board.

Moonscrub will be comparing hypothetical WHIP and OBP between Ernie Banks and Moises Alou or something.

Meanwhile the Red Sox will be winning.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]H e won 17 games in 2007, finished 5th in WHIP in 2008, and was pitching like an ace in 2009 when he made the allstar game then got hurt. You have an argument if you said since mid-2009, but 2003?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Moon,

While I have respected & agreed with your defense of Wake in the past, even early on this year, I think it's well past time to drop it!

IT IS CRYSTAL CLEAR that right on the heels of the clubhouse culture / dysfunction / boys gone wild problems facing the RS, PITCHING (especially starting pitching) is our #1 + CRISIS!!!  In fact, I think the "out of control" clubhouse stems directly from the out of control, self centered, prima donna, what about my needs, attitudes of the starting pitchers!!!!  It seems clear that Lackey was the ring leader???  IMO anyway!  Since his arrival, I have seen a marked change in the attitudes of both Bechett & Lester, not to mention Buch & Wake.

Wake, who I have loved & respected over the past decade, is simply OVER THE HILL.  It's time to face the facts.....  Softy, who is a moron of epic proportions, actually has this one right (Finally!).  WAKE MUST GO!!!!!!!

If starting PITCHING IS (and it damned sure is!) our BIG PROBLEM / question, WAKE IS SIMPLY NO LONGER A PART OF THE ANSWER!!!!

STOP!!!!!  Can't you see that you are becoming what we all hate about Softy!  You never stop harping ad nosium about the same thing!  OVER & OVER & OVER!  For you & Harness, it's become a crusade!  I take no back seat to loving what Wake once meant to this team, but that ship has sunk!  Salvage of it would simply cost the RS too much!!!

Taking a different tack......  I'm 49 years old, with Multiple Sclerosis!  I'm in better shape than Wake!!!!  NO MORE EXCUSES!  If he were to show up for ST in the shape I'm in, I might be willing to give him ONE LAST SHOT (with a very short leash)!  BUT!!!!  I don't think he will.  He's on the glide path to retirement, & enjoying the extra 30 lbs. that adds to his drive from the tee!

Time to MAN UP!  Admit when your argument has enjoyed a more hospitable landscape, & MOVE ON!!!!

You have already begun to marginalize your otherwise sound BASEBALL arguments!  Just like Softy!!!  When people start seeing your opinions as advocacy & agenda based, LIKE SOFTY CLEARLY IS.......  People tune you out!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxNationMan. Show SoxNationMan's posts

[QUOTE]Moonslow is a clueless shill who was totally silent on GM incompetence and the essential need to effectively fire Epstein for the debacle of 2008 to 2011. He and his sidekick Harnut claimed Epstein was going nowhere. In slang terms, he is a homey. I identified Epstein as problem #1 who needed to be fired. Since Epstein most certainly was seeking an extension on his contract that was about to run out, Luchino and Henry most certainly told him no! I stated that my confidence in ownership had always been 100%, but unless they fired Epstein no later than year end it would turn to no confidence. Now that problem #1 has been removed, I retain 100% confidence in ownership and feel good about Red Sox future in new middle management leadership. No fan should have to watch me, Timmy T-Ball, destroy the integrity of the competition for another season by suffering through his ceremonial record flail. Timmy T-Ball and Varitek have miscalculated. Sugar Daddy Epstein will no longer be around to offer FA contracts to two 40 year old washed up losers who have zero FA market for a MLB contract above league minimum. My hope is that InEpstein offers Timmy T-Ball a Cubs contract for the 3.75 million that Timmy T-Ball cost this season. Ditto Varitek and his 2 million to OBP about zero and clumsy stumble around home plate in the September collapse.  I'll be shocked if new management offers these 2 old losers roster spots.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Wake let himself go, his gut got huge, his stamina tanked at year end, he could not even eat innings anymore ... just pizza and beer. 

If Wakefield is a huge guy whose "stamina tanked at year end," how do you classify the five guys in the Opening Day rotation who all spent time on the DL? Wakefield was the only starter who lasted the entire season, from a health perspective. I find it irnoic that the one guy you knock more than any other for his lack of durability turned out to the most durable.

I agree with most of what you say here. Varitek and Wakefield shouldn't be offered much more than the major league minimum. Varitek would be insulted enough by such a proposal to leave or retire. Wakefield might actually accept it, which would be okay because the Red Sox could cut or trade him later without much consequence.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gee, the Sox are gutting Theo/Tito out the door, and the fans are still bitching about Wakefield? No wonder pinkhat nation continues to thrive on this board. Bunch of morons. No idea about right and wrong, just defend the rich, and trash the poor, and rubberstamp outsiders as new Sox heroes. The reason why the Sox had a strong fanbase PRIOR to 2004 was the fans had guys you could root for--Nomar, Pedro, Damon, Wakefield, Varitek--you know guys who actually helped the team win games and win in the playoffs. Instead we're stuck rooting for Theo's greedy divas--Lackey, Crawford, Dice-K, Beckett (re-sign)...with selfish guys like that who needs opponents. At least AGON actually acts like a professional, a guy you can at least appreciate it for playing most every game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

For all the dirt that was thrown at Derek Lowe out the door, drunk guy, or Orlando Cabrera, gigilo to the player's wives, they played to win here. What the hell did CC and Lackey do this year to help the team win?