Wakefield's unearned runs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Re: Wakefield's unearned runs

Wakefield has had 3 times now where the pen choked after he left with a lead, which would have been 9 wins

Better recheck your math. His point was to mislead the reader into thinking that all those Wastefield starts would be 9 more wins. Pen must hate poor Timmy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

mislead the reader? 6 wins he has, 3 have been blown, 9 wins....you aren't that dense are you? It would be 3 more wins, moron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Wakefield's unearned runs:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield has had 3 times now where the pen choked after he left with a lead, which would have been 9 wins Better recheck your math. His point was to mislead the reader into thinking that all those Wastefield starts would be 9 more wins. Pen must hate poor Timmy.
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]
    Don't get discouraged. My 8-year-old used to have trouble with single-digit addition.

Try again ... you have six apples, then someone gives you three more ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

ROFLMAO, lloyd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

You have one fat old man. He loses X number of consecutive booster seat starts. How many games does he win if the pen cleans up his messes? Zero!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

and that's not even his messes, if the pen cleaned up its own messes the Booster Seat Starter would be 9-6

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The Wake loyalists are always quick to blame his teammates for his failures. The defense , bullpen , etc.   The unearned runs he gives up are mostly the result of the perils of the knuckeball.  The so called passed balls are , in fact , wild pitches , and are part and parcel of depending on the knuckler.  After an error in the field , the pitcher's job is to pick up his teammates and limit the damage , not implode and give up four " unearned runs."  Blowing an early lead and giving up five runs in five innings, then hoping the pen can hold it for four is not going to cut it. I will say this much for Wake ; at least he accepts resonsibility for his failures instead of blaming his teammates. Why can't his loyal fans do the same ?
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]
    Good afternoon gale ...
    First, I don't understand why being a "loyalist," especially to someone who by all accounts lives life the right way, is a bad thing. But leaving that aside, no one here considers Wakefield a desirable option. I don't want him anywhere near the mound in a big game, and I don't want him in the rotation. And, of course, he was never supposed to be.
    But given the state of our rotation -- Matsuzaka out since mid-May, Buchholz out since mid-June, Beckett out for at least one turn -- things are pretty dire. His role all along was emergency starter, and we're in a constant state of emergency right now.
    That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give Aceves another shot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I started this thread because the 16 unearned runs to date irritate me.  But, as several other have pointed out, his earned + unearned runs average is still close to or better than several other current starters.  And that is why Francona continues to start him. 

Starting Aceves is definitely an option, but doing so hurts a weak bullpen and provides no good option for those games in which the starter struggles early, but the Sox have a lead. Numbers wise, I mean a starter that gives up, say, 5 runs in the first 4 innings, but the Sox are leading 7-5.  If you have an Aceves to get you to the 7th or 8th inning, you could easily get a win.  In a former life we used to call that reinforcing success. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wakefield's unearned runs : Don't get discouraged. My 8-year-old used to have trouble with single-digit addition. Try again ... you have six apples, then someone gives you three more ...
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I think if you use a walnut analogy, he might just get it.

Sections
Shortcuts