Wang in Wake out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Wang in Wake out?

Like Aceves "Wang" is a low risk/high reward guy who appears to be healthy again and doing well.  A much better option than Wake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Wang in Wake out?

Healthy again?  he didnt pitch a full season last year.  He didnt pitch his first major league game until during the month of July for the Nats!!

He is too risky to sign!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

These low-risk, high-reward signings will work out sometimes (Garcia and Colon for the Yanks this year, for example), and sometimes not (Penny and Smoltz for us in '09). Wang is a proven winner, battle-tested in the AL East, and well worth the risk if he seems healthy and comes at a reasonable price. 

I like it. At the very least, stockpiling a few extra arms can never hurt...we saw that this season, and hardly for the first time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Anyone is a much better option than Wake. Painful to watch him try and get outs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yankees had healthy Nova/CC/Burnett while Boston had healthy Lester while all others were injured from month of May to the end of the season.  So therefore, Yankees starting rotation didnt miss too many starts compare to Boston.  Plus the Yankees went 6 man rotations for the second half of the season except CC and Nova who get to pitched every five games.  So that work out for the Yankees.

Now you want Wang to join?  How will we know that if Bucholtz or Beckett or Lackey (if he isnt traded) will all do for the full season next season.  Then you add Wang!!  It is not happening unless Boston find a decent pitcher in return such as Zambaro for Lackey and signed a good healthy free agent pitcher such as Edwin Jackson or Malholm.  Then we can see Beckett, Zambaro, Lester, Jackson or Malholm, Bucholtz and Wang.   That will be fine with me.  But only if one or two injure proned pitcher is trade!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Edwin Jackson and Paul Maholm pitching in Boston would have us clamoring for Tim Wakefield. Those guys are NL pitchers.

I endorse the signing of Chien-Ming Wang. I like that idea a lot. He was a top 10 starting pitcher when healthy with the Yankees and a proven performer in the AL East. He's still relatively young and won't cost a lot in money or years.

Sign him as soon as possible. Teams tend to wait until late in the off-season to sign the low-risk/high-reward guys. Grab him early, don't let other teams drive up the price later on, and get him acquainted with the new training staff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412333. Show user_4412333's posts

In Response to Re: Wang in Wake out?:
    [QUOTE]Yankees had healthy Nova/CC/Burnett while Boston had healthy Lester while all others were injured from month of May to the end of the season.  So therefore, Yankees starting rotation didnt miss too many starts compare to Boston.  Plus the Yankees went 6 man rotations for the second half of the season except CC and Nova who get to pitched every five games.  So that work out for the Yankees. Now you want Wang to join?  How will we know that if Bucholtz or Beckett or Lackey (if he isnt traded) will all do for the full season next season.  Then you add Wang!!  It is not happening unless Boston find a decent pitcher in return such as Zambaro for Lackey and signed a good healthy free agent pitcher such as Edwin Jackson or Malholm.  Then we can see Beckett, Zambaro, Lester, Jackson or Malholm, Bucholtz and Wang.   That will be fine with me.  But only if one or two injure proned pitcher is trade!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Nova was in AAA for two months in the middle of the season.  Hughes was on DL.

Nice apologist you are.  Fact is the RS spit the bit.  Accept it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Wang in Wake out?:
    [QUOTE]Like Aceves "Wang" is a low risk/high reward guy who appears to be healthy again and doing well.  A much better option than Wake.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

He might not be a bad gamble even though it's been 4 years since he performed well. If we don't get a viable starter this winter, we might need 3-4 guys like Wang and Wake in hopes that 1-2 work out well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why you need to get three or four guys....why can try to use Weiland/Droubmont along with Wang and maybe Haren??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, Weiland instill a lot of confidence in me. Doubront will likely be in relief.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wang in Wake out? : He might not be a bad gamble even though it's been 4 years since he performed well. If we don't get a viable starter this winter, we might need 3-4 guys like Wang and Wake in hopes that 1-2 work out well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree we need two or three arms moon but signing Madson could be perfect fit would Also allow Aceves to spot start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Why you need to get three or four guys....why can try to use Weiland/Droubmont along with Wang and maybe Haren??
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I think Weiland would make a good reliever like in college.  Madson would also be a good fit with Aceves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

I think the Yankees will sign Wang to replace Colon or Garcia.
    Being a groundball pitcher, I would think he'd do well in Boston though. He was ok coming back, though the rust was evident.
    Plus, as his experience with the Nats show, he'd win more agmes with just a tad more run support.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wang in Wake out? : I agree we need two or three arms moon but signing Madson could be perfect fit would Also allow Aceves to spot start.

I am not saying Aceves wont be a good to great starter, you could be right here, but we know he is a great mid relief guy. He has a scattered record as a starter, and the sample sizes are small, but in the comparison of his starter vs relief roles, he has been clearly better in relief.

To me, I'd rather not go the "sign 2-3 arms" and hope one does well. I'd rather sign a solid starter (perhaps a #2 to low #3 type starter) and one steady #5/6 guy that is not a gamble (who eats innings). Wake is not the only guy who can fit this role, but he's cheap and better than about 50 starters who were top 5 starters on their teams last year. To me, that's not bad for a 6th starter. I don't trust guys like Bedard or Wang to be healthy all year. I know Wake is 45, but I actually have more faith in his health than many mid 30 year olds. It's my opinion. I can't back it up with facts, and I don't pretend to know who the next garcia and Colon will be.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wang in Wake out? : I am not saying Aceves wont be a good to great starter, you could be right here, but we know he is a great mid relief guy. He has a scattered record as a starter, and the sample sizes are small, but in the comparison of his starter vs relief roles, he has been clearly better in relief. To me, I'd rather not go the "sign 2-3 arms" and hope one does well. I'd rather sign a solid starter (perhaps a #2 to low #3 type starter) and one steady #5/6 guy that is not a gamble (who eats innings). Wake is not the only guy who can fit this role, but he's cheap and better than about 50 starters who were top 5 starters on their teams last year. To me, that's not bad for a 6th starter. I don't trust guys like Bedard or Wang to be healthy all year. I know Wake is 45, but I actually have more faith in his health than many mid 30 year olds. It's my opinion. I can't back it up with facts, and I don't pretend to know who the next garcia and Colon will be.

Fair and honest thoughts, the thing I like most about Wang is he is a "ground ball" pitcher when his stuff is good.  This season began to remind Wang what he is capable of.   During his short time this season Wang looked, so good the Nationals are thinking about bringing him back.  I think he could be next years Aceves and really help our cause. 

I'm only one fan lost in the middle of millions but hope we at least look at Wang as a possible low risk/high return guy.  Having Aceves and Wang could haunt the Yanks when we need it most.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Fair and honest thoughts, the thing I like most about Wang is he is a "ground ball" pitcher when his stuff is good.  This season began to remind Wank what he could do so I say take a shot.   During his sort time this season Wang looked so good the Nationals are thinking about bringing him back.  I think he ould be next years Aceves and really help our cause.  

I'm only one fan lost in the middle of millions but hope we at least look at Wang as a possible low risk/high return guy.

Craze, if Theo was back, a guy like Wang fits his M.O. perfectly. I'm not sure what the next guy's philosophy will be, but I hope it is to build the staff with solid arms, not with quantity (several number 5/6 types). (We do need depth as well, but quality is more important.)

There are probably several "Wang types" out there for pretty cheap, and maybe signing 2-3 of them (Like the 3- W's: Wang, Webb, & Wake) will work better than trying for mid-level guy like Buehrle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Fair and honest thoughts, the thing I like most about Wang is he is a "ground ball" pitcher when his stuff is good.  This season began to remind Wank what he could do so I say take a shot.   During his sort time this season Wang looked so good the Nationals are thinking about bringing him back.  I think he ould be next years Aceves and really help our cause.   I'm only one fan lost in the middle of millions but hope we at least look at Wang as a possible low risk/high return guy. Craze, if Theo was back, a guy like Wang fits his M.O. perfectly. I'm not sure what the next guy's philosophy will be, but I hope it is to build the staff with solid arms, not with quantity (several number 5/6 types). (We do need depth as well, but quality is more important.) There are probably several "Wang types" out there for pretty cheap, and maybe signing 2-3 of them (Like the 3- W's: Wang, Webb, & Wake) will work better than trying for mid-level guy like Buehrle.

Hey I agree totally and respect the fact you are still hoping for Wake in the picture but after recent comments, Wake seems more "self absorbed in his stats.

Do you agree with this?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Red Sox have a need for Wakefield like they have a need for another left handed OF'er. The fiasco named Wakefield cost 3.75 million in 2011.

Wang, Bedard, et al, but never include the name Wakefield with a straighth face.

Moonslow wants Wakefield back for another ceremonial tour. I would expect new management will greet any pleas to bring Wakefield back with laughter.

Wakefield claims the fans deserve to see him next year, which is hysterical!  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Wang is not even fully healthy yet. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Wang is a great idea if we already could count on 1-4 but we can't. Thus the team must acquire someone who is a proven performer and actually pitched well all through 2011.  We cannot afford anither question mark.

What would you guys have in 2011? Lester is the only one we can even hope to count on. Do you really want to bring in another "maybe"?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

If they get a manager who knows pitching and a new pitching coach who knows how to manage and develop pitchers and the problem will go away.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I would say the Sox have a potentially strong starting staff 1-3... if they would only do their job we would be okay. On paper most teams would kill for a roster with Beckett, Lester, and Clay.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Boils down to competent coaching and development.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]If they get a manager who knows pitching and a new pitching coach who knows how to manage and develop pitchers and the problem will go away.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Major League pitching coaches don't develop pitching. They fine-tune it.
    Pitchers are developed through the minor league system.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wang in Wake out? : Hey I agree totally and respect the fact you are still hoping for Wake in the picture but after recent comments, Wake seems more "self absorbed in his stats. Do you agree with this?

I'm not "hoping for Wake". I'd rather have a much better pitcher than him, but the reason I keep mentioning him as out 6/7th option is that he is cheaper and more reliable than what else is out there for that slot.

No, I do not think Wake "seems more self absorbed in his stats". He made a couple statements about wanting the records. The thing I see about this is that the record he pursues is wins. That's not a personal stat to me. It is what the team wants and needs as well. Him wanting to win does not conflict with the team goal at all. They go hand in hand. To me, Cal Ripken going for the consecutive game streak record was selfish and distracting. He hurt the team several times by playing when he needed rest. Almost everyone (but me) loves Cal and calls him a hero and a warrior.

Craze, I have never said Wake has pitched great since his injury in mid-2009. My whole deal defending him is that he has been unfairly bashed for actually doing a pretty good job as our 6/7 starter, especially when you figure in the contract cost. 2011 was a "pitcher's year", yet over 50 pitchers with 10 or more starts had equal or worse numbers than Wake. I'd love to have 5 aces on this team, but the cost of doing that would prohibit having a well paid 6th starter. The amount of time spent on people identifying Wake and our back-up catcher (VTek) as the main problems of this team is just plain insane. They both did what they were supposed to do and more! Compare them to others in their slots and even above their slots and you'll see that they were not the reason we lost, in fact they were pluses.