Was anyone else thinking ???????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Was anyone else thinking ???????

Top of the sixth men on 1B & 2B, Vic hits into a double play with Napoli going to 3B.  Down one to nothing Drew at bat and Jays are in the shift with 3rd baseman playing all the way over to SS position.  No one covering 3B and Napoli dancing almost half way down the line.

Was anyone thinking that left handed batter Drew against lefty pitcher Happ, who has been handcuffing Sox hitters, could lay a bunt down toward 3B and surely beat it out for a hit thus scoring Napoli to tie the game?

As opposed to striking out on a pitch low and away outside the strike zone.  Gimme a break!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Was anyone else thinking ???????

In response to dustcover's comment:

Top of the sixth men on 1B & 2B, Vic hits into a double play with Napoli going to 3B.  Down one to nothing Drew at bat and Jays are in the shift with 3rd baseman playing all the way over to SS position.  No one covering 3B and Napoli dancing almost half way down the line.

Was anyone thinking that left handed batter Drew against lefty pitcher Happ, who has been handcuffing Sox hitters, could lay a bunt down toward 3B and surely beat it out for a hit thus scoring Napoli to tie the game?

As opposed to striking out on a pitch low and away outside the strike zone.  Gimme a break!

I thought it, but I have no idea if Drew has any idea how to bunt.  You can't just square around on that type of play, so it has to at least look something like bunting for a base hit.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Bigger question to me was why wasn't Shane bunting down 1-0????
    Wear your hat with pride or take it off!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to rsinsider's comment:

Shane was 2 for 2 and Drew was on deck.  Shane has to swing away there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I disagree, despite shane being 2 for 2, at that point in the game we were down 1-0, so all drew had to do was get a sac fly or ground one to the right side of the infield to get the tying run in. Also, if shane gets a good bunt down, he has enough speed to beat it out. When your team is having trouble scoring runs, sometimes you have put aside a players individual stats and play situational baseball. That was one of those situations. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

most of the times during the defense shift, pitcher tend to throw the ball more inner part of the plate instead of throwing the outer part of the plate on purpose to make the hitter to hit directly to these shift defenders.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I was thinking the same thing.  We needed that one run pretty bad.  Vic's twin killing was the dagger I think.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I disagree, despite shane being 2 for 2, at that point in the game we were down 1-0, so all drew had to do was get a sac fly or ground one to the right side of the infield to get the tying run in. Also, if shane gets a good bunt down, he has enough speed to beat it out. When your team is having trouble scoring runs, sometimes you have put aside a players individual stats and play situational baseball. That was one of those situations. 

I was thinking the same thing considering the lack of speed on base in front of him and the only guy with speed at 3rd base, also the defense was playing back , this would have been the easiest sacrifice in the history of the game. Of course there was no way HR Drew was going to bunt, but I fully thought Victorino might give it a try.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Look folks, we all know how this game works.  If Vic had sacrificed and Drew had struck out, we would have people saying:

'What is Farrell doing?  You take the bat out of the hands of a guy who's red hot, and you put it all on Drew who can't hit lefties.  How dumb is that????'

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yep. But the thing is, Napoli didn't start to take that lead until the count went 0-1.  That's why the third baseman vacated…Drew wasn't going to bunt down in the count.

I still think Drew should've bunted, even with 2 strikes.  He can bunt. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bill James says no bunting, so the Sox generally don't and consequently are not good bunters.

Sections
Shortcuts