Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum?

So how does Duke getting the Baltimore job equate him to Law? Law is a moron. Duke was one of the better GMs in Red Sox history.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum?

We shall see if he gets the Baltimore position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum?:
    [QUOTE]He signed Manny, traded for Pedro twice, signed Damon and got Varitek and DLowe for Heathcliff Slocumb. In my book that makes him a genius. Those moves are as good or better than anything Theo ever did. Of course he let Clemens go but how did he know Clemens would find the fountain of youth (wink,wink).
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]When did he trade for Pedro the second time?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

He signed Manny, traded for Pedro twice, signed Damon and got Varitek and DLowe for Heathcliff Slocumb. In my book that makes him a genius. Those moves are as good or better than anything Theo ever did. Of course he let Clemens go but how did he know Clemens would find the fountain of youth (wink,wink).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When did he trade for Pedro the second time?

1) with Montreal from the Dodgers.
    2) with Boston from Montreal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum?:
    [QUOTE]When did he trade for Pedro the second time? 1) with Montreal from the Dodgers. 2) with Boston from Montreal.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]OK. I had forgotten that Pedro came up with his brother.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I'd rank Duquette as the fifth-best GM

1T: Dick O'Connell
    1T: Theo
    3. Lou Gorman
    4. Eddie Collins
    5. Duquette

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rank Duquette as the fifth-best GM 1T: Dick O'Connell 1T: Theo 3. Lou Gorman 4. Eddie Collins 5. Duquette
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Did you know his career winning % with the RS was .533?

We had a .556 last year and had to fire everyone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rank Duquette as the fifth-best GM 1T: Dick O'Connell 1T: Theo 3. Lou Gorman 4. Eddie Collins 5. Duquette
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Dick O. was indeed #1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]So how does Duke getting the Baltimore job equate him to Law? Law is a moron. Duke was one of the better GMs in Red Sox history.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even equate Babe to Softy ... 

Duquette was very good.  He earned my eternal ire by getting rid of Boggs and Clemens.  I've changed my mind on Clemens (due to further information gained ...) but not Boggs.  Total disservice to the lifetime he spent with us ... and he still could hit ... and hit ... and hit ....

But as I get closer to being an adult, I have to credit him for a lot of very good moves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

Clemens had a poor year in Boston when Duquette let him go. That triggered Roger to start on steroids. The rest is history.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Take a glance at Boggs career numbers and you will see that starting with his final year in Boston he was on the backside of his career in every category.  It is not to say he was washed up but Boggs was not the Boggs we had always known by 1992.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rutland76. Show Rutland76's posts

[QUOTE]So how does Duke getting the Baltimore job equate him to Law? Law is a moron. Duke was one of the better GMs in Red Sox history.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Many intelligent people like to come to forums and entertain themselves by pretending to be an idiot like Law.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum? : Many intelligent people like to come to forums and entertain themselves by pretending to be an idiot like Law.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]

Someone coming to a forum and pretending to be an idiot to entertain themselves doesn't sound too intelligent to me.Seems like someone who's intelligent could actually be smart enough to find something better to do that would be more entertaining and/or productive.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Clemens had a poor year in Boston when Duquette let him go. That triggered Roger to start on steroids. The rest is history.

Actually, it was more like 4 mediocre to poor seasons, at least when compared to the rest of his career.

After leading the league in ERA for 3 straights seasons, Roger went...
    11-14  4.46
    9-7      2.85
    10-5    4.18
    10-13  3.63

I guess Dan should have foreseen that Roger would start doing steroids and kept him here?

As for Boggs, he hit .259 his last year in Boston. His .890 Boston OPS dropped to .803 in NY. He had some nice seasons in NY, especially in the OBP area, but at the time $3-4M a year was a lot. The Yanks paid him more at ages 35-37 than any year in Boston. They paid him more at age 38 and 39 than we did in all but his last 2 years in Boston and got an OPS+ of about 99.

Dan made mistakes, but it's hard to call these two poor judgement.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

YOUR ALL REACHING WITH THIS TOPIC.......  MUST BE THE "CALM, BEFORE THE HOT STOVE" ........  HISTORY SHOWS THAT BE A BASEBALL  G M  IS ALL ABOUT   +  &  - ........  LET'S MOVE ON !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

While I actually don't have any idea what's being asked by this question, my response will be another question: Assuming a GM like position existed the year Babe Ruth was sold to finance the play "No No Nanette", would the sale have proven the GM to be a fool? Or, perhaps, was it in fact the owner who was a fool, and the GM just doing as he was instructed? I think you know...By the way, pity poor Dan Duquette! He just went to work for the worst baseball owner in either league. Peter Angelos is as close to the embodiment of Ebeneezer Scrooge as anyone I have ever met. He has destroyed a once proud franchise and held them down for a decade and a half now. Humbug to him I say!!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

So I understand where this OP comes from I think...there were theories out there that a bitter Dan Duquette posed as Law on this forum to take shots at Theo for taking his job back in 2002.

The fact that the infamous poster here sniffed Manny's jock on many occasions and pointed out the players Dan brought to Boston, OFTEN, it made some of us think he was Dan getting his chance to criticize the guy who stole his job.

If we see no more posts by Law here, maybe there could be some truth to the rumor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum? : Actually, it was more like 4 mediocre to poor seasons, at least when compared to the rest of his career. After leading the league in ERA for 3 straights seasons, Roger went... 11-14  4.46 9-7      2.85 10-5    4.18 10-13  3.63 I guess Dan should have foreseen that Roger would start doing steroids and kept him here? As for Boggs, he hit .259 his last year in Boston. His .890 Boston OPS dropped to .803 in NY. He had some nice seasons in NY, especially in the OBP area, but at the time $3-4M a year was a lot. The Yanks paid him more at ages 35-37 than any year in Boston. They paid him more at age 38 and 39 than we did in all but his last 2 years in Boston and got an OPS+ of about 99. Dan made mistakes, but it's hard to call these two poor judgement.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

The Clemens issue was assuaged when I realized how many seasons in a row Roger had been ... pedestrian.  I have claimed ignorance about those seasons because I was in a part of the country with only small local papers or one large state paper, which was really then a glorified local paper for the state ... and those places hardly posted anything more than scores and standings.  I was surprised at the three previous years being so blah.

With the computer and internet, I have overcome some of those issues mentioned above.

But the Boggs issue is one resonates still.  Sure his BA went down from his superb years, but he remained a .300+ hitter  and we surely could have used him.  Consider the impact of staying at Fenway ... even though Yanqui Stadium favored him as well.

Part of the reason it resonates is that Yaz did in in fact have a .255 BA right after and then right before seasons where his average was well over .300.  Several times Yaz was said to have been over the hill.  And in the end, he was, finally, an average player - well, still better than average - but still fairly productive.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some who have advocated cutting ties with Papi and Youk were not among those who called for Yaz to quit early. 

I use these terms that are becoming passe to some if not many here, but those were the terms that I used when experiencing both Yaz's time to face the music and Wade's.

In doing so, I am being completely honest with you all, because to start using other figures to bolster my case now would be disingenuous.  I am only involving what I had as information - limited as it was - at the time, because I am talking about why my feelings developed like they did back then.

(Now that is a clunky paragraph!!!)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Clemens had a poor year in Boston when Duquette let him go. That triggered Roger to start on steroids. The rest is history.
    Posted by Rutland76[/QUOTE]   GOOD POST   R V  ...... A REAL  BINGO !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum? : The Clemens issue was assuaged when I realized how many seasons in a row Roger had been ... pedestrian.  I have claimed ignorance about those seasons because I was in a part of the country with only small local papers or one large state paper, which was really then a glorified local paper for the state ... and those places hardly posted anything more than scores and standings.  I was surprised at the three previous years being so blah. With the computer and internet, I have overcome some of those issues mentioned above. But the Boggs issue is one resonates still.  Sure his BA went down from his superb years, but he remained a .300+ hitter  and we surely could have used him.  Consider the impact of staying at Fenway ... even though Yanqui Stadium favored him as well. Part of the reason it resonates is that Yaz did in in fact have a .255 BA right after and then right before seasons where his average was well over .300.  Several times Yaz was said to have been over the hill.  And in the end, he was, finally, an average player - well, still better than average - but still fairly productive.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some who have advocated cutting ties with Papi and Youk were not among those who called for Yaz to quit early.  I use these terms that are becoming passe to some if not many here, but those were the terms that I used when experiencing both Yaz's time to face the music and Wade's. In doing so, I am being completely honest with you all, because to start using other figures to bolster my case now would be disingenuous.  I am only involving what I had as information - limited as it was - at the time, because I am talking about why my feelings developed like they did back then. (Now that is a clunky paragraph!!!)
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

I dont think Sox management thought Boggs was all washed up, but they did think he was in decline and did not think he was worth paying huge sums (at the time) for him. Sure, I wish Boggs had stayed. Before all the steroid stuff, I felt the same about Roger. Imagine Roger and Pedro year after year!

Overall, I think the Sox have done a good job with deciding when to let aging vets go. The Nomar and Pedro choices stand out as tough chopices that in hindsight, look golden now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Dan Duquette = to Law and other Theo Bashers on this forum? : I dont think Sox management thought Boggs was all washed up, but they did think he was in decline and did not think he was worth paying huge sums (at the time) for him. Sure, I wish Boggs had stayed. Before all the steroid stuff, I felt the same about Roger. Imagine Roger and Pedro year after year! Overall, I think the Sox have done a good job with deciding when to let aging vets go. The Nomar and Pedro choices stand out as tough chopices that in hindsight, look golden now.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Feel the same about Roger.  I was 100% believer in his work ethic.  There was a story in SI years ago about how he did what he did in the off season.  I felt very good about a clean guy who worked hard to get to the top of the heap.  Alas ...

I agree about the two you mentioned.  Both were heart breakers ... but I understood both.  Nomar was a bit like the Met's Reyes - superb but often injured.  (Which is why I'[d pass on Reyes...) Pedro, I knew was gone after a short q & a in the club house after '07 WS win ...  but he sure wasn't up to the task as the Phillies found out.

Not to mention that Nomar rejected a pretty good offer and was grousing about how low it was.  4/$15 mill I think, which is still pretty good but was quite good then ....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

While it might be a stretch to think Law could be Dan himself, it's an interesting hypothesis that the apparent animosity from Law towards Theo related more to anger over Duquette's firing, than Theo's performance as GM. Not saying it's true, but there sure seemed to be a personal flavor to the criticisms. Can he now focus on the Red Sox going forward? Or will his lack of a Theo nemesis cause him to lose interest with this site? Stay tuned!!   

[QUOTE]So I understand where this OP comes from I think...there were theories out there that a bitter Dan Duquette posed as Law on this forum to take shots at Theo for taking his job back in 2002. The fact that the infamous poster here sniffed Manny's jock on many occasions and pointed out the players Dan brought to Boston, OFTEN, it made some of us think he was Dan getting his chance to criticize the guy who stole his job. If we see no more posts by Law here, maybe there could be some truth to the rumor.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

You are correct sir! After leaving Clemens showed up in Toronto looking like he'd shaved off 10yrs. Following 2 subpar years in Beantown, he had his best year ever in Toronto (21-7 2.05 era, 1.03 whip), and the next season was almost as good. That set him up for his big Yankee deal, where he was back to being mediocre. In light of what we know now, it's obvious his superpowers were acquired though nefarious means.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After leaving Clemens showed up in Toronto looking like he'd shaved off 10yrs. Following 2 subpar years in Beantown, he had his best year ever in Toronto (21-7 2.05 era, 1.03 whip), and the next season was almost as good.

More like 4 or 3 out of 4 subpar years. After leading the league in ERA for 3 straights seasons, Roger went...

11-14  4.46
    9-7      2.85
    10-5    4.18
    10-13  3.63

...in Boston.