Was Last Years Team Better?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Was Last Years Team Better?

This is a reasonable look at last years team before injuries. I'd take last years team every day of the week. It is pretty clear that Crawford and Gonzalez can not handle the pressure of playing for the Red Sox. Crawford excelled in Tampa and if there is such a thing as a player who played above his talent it was Crawford who was part of the "Maddon System". I mean let's face it, Maddon is a pretty darn good manager and gets the most out of average players. Gonzalez on the other hand is simply in over his head and did match up well within a weak division / league. There is a reason why the NL generally loses the all star game, world series, and inter league play. AGon was a good fit in an inferior league. Imagine how these 2 mega contracts will define the future of the Boston Red Sox.   

Scut SS
    Predoria 2B
    Martinez C
    Youk 1B
    Ortiz DH
    Beltre 3B
    JD RF
    Cam CF
    Kalish / Ellsbury LF

Hall
    McDonald
    Tek

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

Re: Was Last Years Team Better?

One month into this season compared to a full year with 19 players on the DL? How can you make a comparison? Sounds like you just had to start a thread no matter what? Amazing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

At this time last year the RS record was 11-11. Today it is 10-13.

There is little reason to believe that this team is all that different than the 2010 group yet. In April of 2010 Beltre had no HR and 9 RBI, A-Gon has 1 HR, 13 RBI. Their OPS, Beltre .772 and A-Gon .789. And Beltre in the early going was kicking the ball all over the infield making uncharacteristic errors.

Crawford can not as easily be countered with VMart's 2010 start but it closer than you'd think. Victor had 1 HR, 5 RBI and a OPS of .632. Crawford is awful in terms of OPS at .422 but his 1 HR and 6 RBI are very similar.

There also is an assumption that Mike Cameron having missed much of 2010, playing in the AL East would perform near his 2009 numbers in the NL Central. Big assumption.

The bullpen for the 2011 squad is better manned. Lowrie or Scutaro is a huge upgarde over Bill Hall as is Mike Lowell's subtraction. Cameron is much better as a resrve OFer than what 2010 squad had when healthy. And the starting pitching while erratic, looks healthier (knock on wood) than it was in 2010.

23 games into the season it is early to draw conclusions, particularly about Adrian Gonzalez and while the signing of Crawford is sketchy, he will be much better than a .422 OPS player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

So Troll, are you watching tonights game or just PO'ed like I am at the silly ways this team loses and the lack of thought by Theo when he put it together.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

Hey fivekatz, great bullpen last night. But don't worry, Bard is the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Natick-Ned. Show Natick-Ned's posts

Daytona came here to vent and wants to preach to the choir. Join the crowd of 95% of RSN who are disappointed so far with the team's performance. I don't really see the need to come here and blame things on us since we are also Sox fans. Oh yes, let's blame Theo and John Henry instead of the individual players. Scapegoating is always a convenient cop-out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

In Response to Re: Was Last Years Team Better?:
    [QUOTE]Daytona came here to vent and wants to preach to the choir. Join the crowd of 95% of RSN who are disappointed so far with the team's performance. I don't really see the need to come here and blame things on us since we are also Sox fans. Oh yes, let's blame Theo and John Henry instead of the individual players. Scapegoating is always a convenient cop-out.
    Posted by Natick-Ned[/QUOTE]

So what's the deal, which team would you prefer? There was a question in the post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbev97. Show kbev97's posts

Last year's team never showed up since they were on the DL for half of the year. The two teams cannot be compared because of that and this season is only 15% over. Much ado about nothing. The OP is not worth responding to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In Response to Was Last Years Team Better?:
    [QUOTE]This is a reasonable look at last years team before injuries. I'd take last years team every day of the week. It is pretty clear that Crawford and Gonzalez can not handle the pressure of playing for the Red Sox. Crawford excelled in Tampa and if there is such a thing as a player who played above his talent it was Crawford who was part of the "Maddon System". I mean let's face it, Maddon is a pretty darn good manager and gets the most out of average players. Gonzalez on the other hand is simply in over his head and did match up well within a weak division / league. There is a reason why the NL generally loses the all star game, world series, and inter league play. AGon was a good fit in an inferior league. Imagine how these 2 mega contracts will define the future of the Boston Red Sox.    Scut SS Predoria 2B Martinez C Youk 1B Ortiz DH Beltre 3B JD RF Cam CF Kalish / Ellsbury LF Hall McDonald Tek
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

This year's team played only 24 games so far.  

Have some patience.  

Gonzalez and Crawford will pick it up.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Me thinks that DaytonaJim should stick to following NASCAR.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Seriously?  This years team.

Bullpen alone.
    Gonzalez coming around, and so is Crawford.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Really? This is for real?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I love threads like this where A-Gon was singled out and he puts on a laser show tonight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

[QUOTE]I love threads like this where A-Gon was singled out and he puts on a laser show tonight.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

A-Gon had a decent game I had the opportunity to see Teddy Ballgame play in Fenway and I especially don't like NASCAR. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]I love threads like this where A-Gon was singled out and he puts on a laser show tonight.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

.306/.370/.459

Yes, he's definitely in over his head in this league.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Some of us vent silently and other need to do it in the town square. Every  fan roots differently. However if they come here to pizz in the stream then we can single them out and mock them. As Redsoxdirtdog said recently "It is all good" to state your case.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Pike taking the day off today, Chris?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

306/.370/.459

Yes, he's definitely in over his head in this league.

...and remember people expected him to start slowly as he recovered from his injury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

In Response to Was Last Years Team Better?:
    [QUOTE]This is a reasonable look at last years team before injuries. I'd take last years team every day of the week. It is pretty clear that Crawford and Gonzalez can not handle the pressure of playing for the Red Sox. Crawford excelled in Tampa and if there is such a thing as a player who played above his talent it was Crawford who was part of the "Maddon System". I mean let's face it, Maddon is a pretty darn good manager and gets the most out of average players. Gonzalez on the other hand is simply in over his head and did match up well within a weak division / league. There is a reason why the NL generally loses the all star game, world series, and inter league play. AGon was a good fit in an inferior league. Imagine how these 2 mega contracts will define the future of the Boston Red Sox.    Scut SS Predoria 2B Martinez C Youk 1B Ortiz DH Beltre 3B JD RF Cam CF Kalish / Ellsbury LF Hall McDonald Tek
    Posted by jimdaytona[/QUOTE]

Wrong on all counts. Now aren't you ashamed that you started this thread when you were in tantrum mode? Why not wait for a few weeks and temper your passion with some patience. We are all Red sox fans and there are 12 mil. of us, you are not alone. Sometimes I feel like you also. It brings posters into the BDC fishing net but it is laughable. Don't close the book on Gonzalez and Crawford this early. I remember you as a loyal Sox fan. Was I wrong?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Like the OP, I'm a little frustrated with these guys, especially going 1-2 at Camden Yards.  Terrible.

But there is no way I don't think these guys will prove to be better.  Gonzalez is the real deal, even though I think that shoulder operation is still affecting his power.  He can pull the ball, but he is the best opposite field hitter I've seen in a Sox uniform, and his work around first base is superb. 

Ellsbury is going to have a good year and maybe a very good year because he is swinging with confidence.  Crawford will come around.  And the two of them will make life difficult for opposing batteries. 

Youk is not yet where he needs to be, which is unusual for April, but he will come around.  Ortiz is OK, but he does worry me.  Pedroia will have a good year as always.  Drew will be OK.  Cameron and McDonald are worse than last year, but they're bench guys. 

Lowrie could be a big plus, and Scutaro will probably be better than last year.

Catching is a problem, but not as bad as people are saying.  I think Salty will hit and that his catching will be decent, acceptable and that Tek will continue to be a good backup.  Remember, the turnaround in pitching happened with both of them catching. 

Bullpen still has issues--including both Bard and Jenks--but Papelbon looks terrific. 

Starting pitching already looks much better than last year. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

What issues does Bard have?  He had a horrible first outing, since then he has allowed just 2 runs, and only 1 earned, in 10 1/3 innings.  And the earned run he did allow was walk, SB, sacrifice bunt, squeeze play.  Not exactly getting lit up.  But no, because Bard allowed a run and was charged with the loss on Wednesday, he is having issues.  He had gone 7 straight appearances without allowing a run before Wednesday.

And how come nobody is talking about how the Sox just went 6-3 on a 9 game road trip.  That is pretty good.  If you said that before the trip, most here would have taken it.  In fact, it was brought up in the 7-2 to get to .500 thread.  Everyone thought 7-2 was a little high and 6-3 would be great.  So they go 6-3, and now people are complaining. 

Now they have an 11-game homestand.  7-4 will put them at .500, and that is reasonable to expect.  First thing take 2 of 3 from the Mariners.  They will have to face Hernandez, but at least they won't get Pineda, another one of those quality young pitchers they haven't seen before.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

This years team look at how much better they are pitching. Not even debatable!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If last year's team was 100% healthy, it would be "debateable" , but I'd still take this year's team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lvanDrago. Show lvanDrago's posts

LOL @ the OP. Wow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

Offensively last years team was better.  Crawford and Gonzo are good, but Beltre was amazing.  Not to say he would play at the level if the Sox resigned him, but last year he was great.

I think we are in for 7 years of Crawford, and he's gonna get the JD Drew treatment, he will never live up to the hype and the contract he was given.

Gonzo on the other hand, is gonna be solid...give him time.  He is producing, the home runs will come, remember he didn't even start playing until well into spring training, his shoulder is just now returning to full strength.

Pitching, this year they are better...stronger bullpen, Beckett seems to be back, and Lackey and Dice are performing well of late.

Sections
Shortcuts