Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?:
    Teddy ballgame was in a class by himself. He is the last man to hit .400. He spanned the era between Ruth and Gehrig. Ted spent his most productive years fighting for his country. He batted .406 in 1941, then he went to war. What would he have hit in 42,43, 44, 45 ? Who knows, but based on his previous and his 46 47 48 49 50 years performances. Ted would have hit at least 160 more Home Runs , which would have put him at 694 minimum. Then take away his stint in Korea, give Ted another 100 home Runs, that now puts Ted around 800 Home Runs. I had the pleasure of watching the maestro perform, albeit for only a few years, but he had no equal. I spoke with the great bob Feller about Ted. The first time Bullet Bob pitched to Teddy Ballgame, Williams lined two doubles of the Center Field Wall off Feller. We are talking a 100MPH fastball here. Feller had the utmost respect for the splendid splinter, and rightfully so. Fans today have no idea, how good Ted was. He was never fooled on a pitch, if he was , he took the pitch, he never was off balance, or on his front foot. The next time up, the pitcher better not throw him the same pitch, or they would pay the price. IMHO he was and still is the greatest of all time. Until some one hits .400 knocks in 169 runs walks 100 times in one season. NEXT , he was the best period. The only man better at dominating his sport was , and Boston had the pleasure of watching him also, was the Great William Felton Russell. Boston and myself have been lucky, to witness such greatness.
    Posted by aussiewill

Good grief, are you Boston biased. Admittedly, he is arguably the greatest hitter. If he didn't serve, he would have had the HR record, IMO. But Ruth didn't dominate in the '20s? What about Cobb, Gretzky, Walter Johnson & Chamberlain?  Was he the all around player DiMaggio or Mays was? Did he have 9 rings in 13 seasons like DiMaggio? What happened in the '46 Series? You had me going until the last couple of sentences.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : Can you blame him? Also, the Korea stint almost killed him, as I'm sure you know.
    Posted by nhsteven
    I've always thought that Korean girls were kind of cute.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : I've always thought that Korean girls were kind of cute.
    Posted by carnie

Korea was not an essential war; IMO TW knew this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Of course Ted Williams is the greatest hitter ever.

I don't know who is the greatest baseball player of all time.  I think it could have been Barry Bonds until he decided to be the home run king.  As a pure baseball player, he had it all.

I think Bo Jackson could have been the greatest baseball player if he had only played baseball.  - No one could break a bat over his head like Bo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

"I aint gonna fight no Muslim Wars in Iraq"  Ali's counterpart

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

"I aint gonna fight no Muslim Wars in Iraq"  Ali's counterpart
    Posted by BaseballGM

Except the war in Iraq was started wasn't started by a Muslim. It's yet another Christian war.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : Except the war in Iraq was started wasn't started by a Muslim. It's yet another Christian war.
    Posted by Roadrunner9234

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

ty cobb 10 years in a row at400 or better!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : Korea was not an essential war; IMO TW knew this.
    Posted by nhsteven

It was at the time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : It was at the time.
    Posted by harness

Technically, that war never ended beyond a cease fire, unless I'm mistaken.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wars aren't like ballgames. Their end is often "legally vague".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Except the war in Iraq was started wasn't started by a Muslim. It's yet another Christian war.

What part of "counterpart" don't you understand? But since you were foolish enough to raise it, does anyone need to give you the list of, yet another Muslim war? I didn't think so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

Williams is without a doubt the greatest hitter of all time. Ruth. Cobb. Aaron would be the other 3 in that league.

Did somebody really suggest Pete Rose as one of the greatest hitters ever? He doesn't even crack the top 100.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Aaron? He had a .305 lifetime average.
    He broke the HR record due to longevity.
    In fact, he never once hit 50 or more homers.

Consistent? yes. Durable? Yes. But I never heard any reputable source say he was among the three top hitters of all-time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

"He Spanned the era BETWEEN Ruth & Gehrig"? What? You know Ruth and Gehrig played together right? As far as dominating their sport, Wayne Gretzky is the most dominant individual athlete in any sport. Ruth was more dominating than Teddy ever was. He was hitting more HR's than other TEAMS. Ted is the greatest hitter off all time, but most dominant, not even close. You could have made a better argument for Orr then Ted W. You do realize that their other cities that have pro sports teams besides Boston right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

"He was never fooled on a pitch"..... except throughout the entire World Series he played in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Wars aren't like ballgames. Their end is often "legally vague".
    Posted by harness

What about the pomp & circumstance that ended the World Wars?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Williams is without a doubt the greatest hitter of all time. Ruth. Cobb. Aaron would be the other 3 in that league. Did somebody really suggest Pete Rose as one of the greatest hitters ever? He doesn't even crack the top 100.
    Posted by stormcrow7878

Aaron over Hornsby, Gehrig, Sisler, Wagner, DiMaggio, Musial, Lajoie, Speaker & possibly others?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Aaron? He had a .305 lifetime average. He broke the HR record due to longevity. In fact, he never once hit 50 or more homers. Consistent? yes. Durable? Yes. But I never heard any reputable source say he was among the three top hitters of all-time.
    Posted by harness

Aaron was unbelievable (I saw him in batting practice as a kid in '67; he hit about 20 consecutive balls over the fence at Shea, all down the line) but he did play in an easy park when the Braves moved to Atlanta. Imagine Williams, DiMaggio, Mays, Kiner, Clemente, & Mantle's #s if they played there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

"He Spanned the era BETWEEN Ruth & Gehrig"? What? You know Ruth and Gehrig played together right? As far as dominating their sport, Wayne Gretzky is the most dominant individual athlete in any sport. Ruth was more dominating than Teddy ever was. He was hitting more HR's than other TEAMS. Ted is the greatest hitter off all time, but most dominant, not even close. You could have made a better argument for Orr then Ted W. You do realize that their other cities that have pro sports teams besides Boston right?
    Posted by stormcrow7878

See my comment above made 2 days ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boissroy. Show boissroy's posts

Yes he was. Ted missed his prime years serving his country. Many times he didn't have bigs bats behind or in front of him. No steroids and no modern equipement to bulk himself up. I was fortunate to see his last at bat. I was 11 years old. Ted was in a class all by himself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Except the war in Iraq was started wasn't started by a Muslim. It's yet another Christian war. What part of "counterpart" don't you understand? But since you were foolish enough to raise it, does anyone need to give you the list of, yet another Muslim war? I didn't think so.
    Posted by BaseballGM

His countpart would be a christian objecting to a muslim war, as he was a muslim objecting to a christian war.

As usual, it's you who doesn't get it. You gave the war in iraq as an example as a muslim war, which it is not. Needlessly carried out by none other than George W. Bush, a Christian.

Understand?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-. Show -The-Babe-'s posts

Yes he was. Ted missed his prime years serving his country. Many times he didn't have bigs bats behind or in front of him. No steroids and no modern equipement to bulk himself up. I was fortunate to see his last at bat. I was 11 years old. Ted was in a class all by himself.

Posted by boissroy

Not to take anything away from Teddy Ballgame, he is the only sawx player I like and/or respected, but the gap between Ruth and his contemporaries is much larger than Ted and his contemporaries. Ruth is the greatest hitter hands down.

Sections
Shortcuts