Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

m

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?:
    Many times he didn't have bigs bats behind or in front of him. 
    Posted by boissroy

This really isn't true -- not even close.

Williams always had other bats in the lineup around him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

No question but Im a big fan ! Went to his camp 50 years ago

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

His countpart would be a christian objecting to a muslim war, as he was a muslim objecting to a christian war.

As usual, it's you who doesn't get it. You gave the war in iraq as an example as a muslim war, which it is not. Needlessly carried out by none other than George W. Bush, a Christian.

Understand?

No, his counterpart would be a Christian objecting to a war in a Muslim country where Iran and Iraq, Sunni v. Shia, is the very essence of a Muslim civil war.

As usual, it's you who doesn't get it. You have Bush's religion as the basis for claiming a needless way carried out by a Christian.

Now, a needless war is Obama's war in Libya, carried out by a Christian with a Muslim name.

Understand?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Road, your statements, to be complimentary, are nothing short of astonishing.

My suggestion, if you think Christianity is so cruel, is to move to a middle eastern country of your choice.  And, of course, I'll be happy to pay the one-way airfare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Road, your statements, to be complimentary, are nothing short of astonishing. My suggestion, if you think Christianity is so cruel, is to move to a middle eastern country of your choice.  And, of course, I'll be happy to pay the one-way airfare.
    Posted by ampoule

Agree with you there Ampoule. I don't agree with the religous right but I don't have to join their religon. It's free speech but I don't have to agree with their opinions. We have freedom of religon in this country to worship your religon or no religon or be an athiest or whatever. Many of those fanatical muslim countries give no rights to women also. So if he doesn't like it here, by all means move there and see how you like it. A great quote on Free speech. "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

AMP: I'll gladly start up a pool regardless of the airfare.
    Softy could be a great weapon out there!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I hope we all didn't forget this was a thread about Ted, the greatest hitter of all time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Ted Williams meant more than just 'the greatest hitter that ever lived'.
    This thread s exploring that facet as well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Allseeing-Eye. Show Allseeing-Eye's posts

Carl Crawford is the greatest hitter of all time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

jay.....absolutely!

Harness....you're funny, man!  I think I'd pay to see Softy and Road on the same plane.  I'll put my money on Softy...Wink

Back to Williams, and I guess I'm showing my age here, but back when Williams played there were how many teams? eight?  This meant that EVERY team had a couple of stoppers.  So, the pitching competition was greater.

The argument here is that I don't think the slider was used back then.  I don't know. 

Out of curiosity, do you know how far from home plate William's red seat is?  Everytime I see that picture, it blows my mind away. 

Another thing..nowadays, it seems that a long home run is about 430ft, or whatever.  Hell, I remember Mantle, Killebrew and others hitting 500ft bombs.  Why the difference?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I think Mickey's picture/post is totally disrespectful and disgusting.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Every once in a while, you'll see a 500 ft. bomb.
    I don't think the likelihood is any different now than then.
    The memory can play tricks.

Comparing eras is always intriguing. The advent of the slider/cutter/splitter has affected the game's evolution. As have better training regime.

Personally, I think Pujois is a terrific hitter. But I wouldn't put him in the class of Williams. The SO rate alone says as much. Which leads me to believe that Ted would have been truly great in this era also. He would have made the adjustments.

Would he hit .400? Perhaps. Carew/Brett came damn close, and they aren't considered to be in William's class.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Teds critical numbers .344  .482/.629/1,116  are pretty hard to beat.  Today if someone has an OBP of .382 it is considered really good. This guy got on base very nearly 50% of the time for his entire freakin' career!

Ruth  .342  .464/.690/1,164  Ruth's numbers are slightly better.  One could make the point that Ted competed in an era with better pitching, the 30's in many ways was similar to the steroid's era in terms of offense as the league was very offense oriented in that decade.  Also Ted played more than half has career fully integrated whereas Ruth played his entire career in segregated baseball, not his fault but a fact.  It is clear the Babe was the greatest player of all time when considering his pitching numbers which were on track to be HOF caliber.  As a pure hitter Ted gets a slight edge for the reason's I mentioned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

AGREE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Teds critical numbers .344  .482/.629/1,116  are pretty hard to beat.  Today if someone has an OBP of .382 it is considered really good. This guy got on base very nearly 50% of the time for his entire freakin' career! Ruth  .342  .464/.690/1,164  Ruth's numbers are slightly better.  One could make the point that Ted competed in an era with better pitching, the 30's in many ways was similar to the steroid's era in terms of offense as the league was very offense oriented in that decade.  Also Ted played more than half has career fully integrated whereas Ruth played his entire career in segregated baseball, not his fault but a fact.  It is clear the Babe was the greatest player of all time when considering his pitching numbers which were on track to be HOF caliber.  As a pure hitter Ted gets a slight edge for the reason's I mentioned.
    Posted by william93063

Actually if you're going to bring eras into this, Ruth's prime was in the 20s (His last full season was '33; get your facts straight) , when he often hit more HRs than most TEAMS. As far as having a broader talent pool is concerned, there were very few black players in the AL between '47 and '60; also Williams #s did not really go down in the 50s, despite being older; he claimed his best season was actually '57 (.388 at age 39), and if he could run then, he would have hit way over.400. Along the era theme, Ruth's Lifetime OPS+ was 206, Williams was 190.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived? : Actually if you're going to bring eras into this, Ruth's prime was in the 20s (His last full season was '33; get your facts straight) , when he often hit more HRs than most TEAMS. As far as having a broader talent pool is concerned, there were very few black players in the AL between '47 and '60; also Williams #s did not really go down in the 50s, despite being older; he claimed his best season was actually '57 (.388 at age 39), and if he could run then, he would have hit way over.400. Along the era theme, Ruth's Lifetime OPS+ was 206, Williams was 190.
    Posted by nhsteven

So then what is your point?  You seem to know so much?  What conclusions can we drawn from your expertise?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Road, your statements, to be complimentary, are nothing short of astonishing. My suggestion, if you think Christianity is so cruel, is to move to a middle eastern country of your choice.  And, of course, I'll be happy to pay the one-way airfare.
    Posted by ampoule

ampoule, you don't understand what I'm saying.

My statement was in response to Softy's comments regarding Ali, and his refusal to particpate in what he saw as a christian war. Softy said his counterpart would refuse to fight a muslim war in Iraq, but the war in Iraq was not started by a muslim so his comment isn't logical.

That's all, I wasn't taking a position one way or another on Christianity itself- Just that Operation Iraqi Freedom was started by a christian, so it can't accurately be described as a muslim war by rational people.

Now, what is so astonishing about that? It's simple logic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

yes. 
    1.  ted
    2. josh gibson
    3. babe ruth

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -THE-BABE--. Show -THE-BABE--'s posts

yes.  1.  ted 2. josh gibson 3. babe ruth

Posted by slasher9

Nope....

1. Ruth

2. everyone else

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

Oh, and by the way…why must I leave the country if I don’t embrace Christianity? Am I not entitled to the same benefits as you under the 1st amendment? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

jay.....absolutely! Harness....you're funny, man!  I think I'd pay to see Softy and Road on the same plane.  I'll put my money on Softy... Back to Williams, and I guess I'm showing my age here, but back when Williams played there were how many teams? eight?  This meant that EVERY team had a couple of stoppers.  So, the pitching competition was greater. The argument here is that I don't think the slider was used back then.  I don't know.  Out of curiosity, do you know how far from home plate William's red seat is?  Everytime I see that picture, it blows my mind away.  Another thing..nowadays, it seems that a long home run is about 430ft, or whatever.  Hell, I remember Mantle, Killebrew and others hitting 500ft bombs.  Why the difference?
    Posted by ampoule

Here's a hint: it's the pitching.

You appear to be as knowledgable about baseball as you are the constitution.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbev97. Show kbev97's posts

The red seat in the bleachers was 502 feet from home plate.
    http://www.bostonspastime.com/redseat.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

His countpart would be a christian objecting to a muslim war, as he was a muslim objecting to a christian war. As usual, it's you who doesn't get it. You gave the war in iraq as an example as a muslim war, which it is not. Needlessly carried out by none other than George W. Bush, a Christian. Understand? No, his counterpart would be a Christian objecting to a war in a Muslim country where Iran and Iraq, Sunni v. Shia, is the very essence of a Muslim civil war. As usual, it's you who doesn't get it. You have Bush's religion as the basis for claiming a needless way carried out by a Christian. Now, a needless war is Obama's war in Libya, carried out by a Christian with a Muslim name. Understand?
    Posted by BaseballGM

Hey Softy,

Here's a question for you:

Was there a civil war going on in Iraq prior to March, 2003 when the Bush Doctine was implemented? Bonus points if you can define the Bush Doctrine, unlike Sarah Palin.

Another bonus question: Do you know how it came to be that the Sunni and Shia found themselves in such close quarters within the confines of what we now call Iraq?

As for Lybia:

1) at least there was something going on which warranted our involvement, unlike in Iraq.

2) We went in, did what needed to be done, and left. Again, unlike Iraq. None of that nation-building crap conservatives hate so much. Well, unless a conservative is doing the building.

Sections
Shortcuts