Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?

Teddy Ballgame has a nice ring to it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?:
    [QUOTE]Baseball -  For the record, I never liked Ali. I was too young for the Vietnam Era dissent but considering this was the time when there was serious hatred towards Blacks who simply wanted equal rights, I can understand his resentment. One of my students asked me if I would have gone to war in Vietnam. I told them truthfully - in 1964-66, yes. After that, I'm not so sure. How Ali became a statesman of global dimensions is beyond me. Some of the things he said to Joe Frazier was worse than what a Klansman would say.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Geo, Actually, I do get the point. It reminds me of when my Great Uncle Seamus ducked the draft in World War II. He said; " No Nazi ever called me a mick."  Sadly, poor Uncle Seamus did ten years in Leavenworth.  Seriously, Ali was a great champion and I think he has matured over the years and regrets some of the nasty and hurtful things that he said. But Ted Williams is truly " The Greatest."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Slav, did you go to Canada to avoid the Draft?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Did UR family buy your way out of it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P13qbp1XQZI

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from VinnieBABErino. Show VinnieBABErino's posts

The conversation of who the greatest hitter was starts and ends with Babe Ruth.

Sure Williams lost some time to the war but keep in mind that Ruth pitched for his first 5 seasons, so that's pretty much a wash.

If you look at the gap between what Ruth did vs his contemporaries it is much wider that Williams vs his contemporaries.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I do not think you can say who was the greatest. Maybe top 5 and leave it at that. The "What ifs" really cannot be considered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Imagine if Scott Boras was Ted Williams' agent.........damn.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Williams prioritized his war duties over his love for baseball.

Ali may have seen it differently had it been Korea/WWII.
    Many were against the legitimacy of our purpose in Vietnam.
    It's legality alone is still in question.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tjwoods. Show tjwoods's posts

For those of you slinging politics, you asked for it.

Vietnam idolized America and asked for our help to out the French, who were doing the same thing in Vietnam that the British did to us in the 18th century.

Ho Chi Minh studied in the U.S. as a young man and admired our founding documents.

Our response to his request to help make them a free country? Invade, kill 1 million Vietnamese and prop up corrupt governments in South Vietnam for years before we got our butts kicked and lost our first war.

As far as Ali goes? A great and courageous American who stood on solid principles and not propaganda and political correctness. Don't think he knew he could have joined the Army and done exhibition matches for 3 years? He was too smart and too principled for that.

Don't believe me? Look it up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Many were against the legitimacy of our purpose in Vietnam.
    It's legality alone is still in question.

Kennedy and Johnson escalated the US troop presence in Vietnam, with Johnson looking for excuses to wage war. It was a conflict managed by politicians who were simply looking for popularity and votes.

"Ho" was a Marxist, with very little doubt that he is held in great esteem by today's current administration. He was the antithesis of freedom, imposing a Marxist system of oppression that denies people freedom and imposes the tenet of State collectivism.

But the politics of War has nothing to do with those who are called to duty. Many who were against the war engaged in violent protests. Bill Ayers, an Obama associate, was one of those violent protesters. Leo Burt was another young Leftist radical protester who blew up a building and killed a physics researcher. This generation was a disgrace in the means they used to protest, and the abuse of those who simply followed the law and answered the call to duty. They are also a disgrace in their hypocritical utopian Marxist public policy ideals, as well as their irresponsible "if it feels good and involves consenting adults it's OK" social ideal.  

"I'm not trying to dodge the draft. We are not supposed to take part in no wars unless declared by Allah or The Messenger. We don't take part in Christian wars or wars of any unbelievers." -- Ali

This man was married four times with chronic fidelity issues. His first wife objected to Muslim customs on required dress for women. But this isn't what makes him a lesser man than those unknown names who served before, during and after Vietnam. It is the simple fact they he refused to serve. 

There was nothing smart or principled about this man. There was nothing great or courageous about this bad character. Courage was in those unknown names who simply served, even though they didn't want to.

Arthur Ashe was smart and principled. A courageous man who exemplified grace and inspiration under the most difficult circumstances. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Many were against the legitimacy of our purpose in Vietnam. It's legality alone is still in question. Kennedy and Johnson escalated the US troop presence in Vietnam, with Johnson looking for excuses to wage war. It was a conflict managed by politicians who were simply looking for popularity and votes. "Ho" was a Marxist, with very little doubt that he is held in great esteem by today's current administration. He was the antithesis of freedom, imposing a Marxist system of oppression that denies people freedom and imposes the tenet of State collectivism. But the politics of War has nothing to do with those who are called to duty. Many who were against the war engaged in violent protests. Bill Ayers, an Obama associate, was one of those violent protesters. Leo Burt was another young Leftist radical protester who blew up a building and killed a physics researcher. This generation was a disgrace in the means they used to protest, and the abuse of those who simply followed the law and answered the call to duty. They are also a disgrace in their hypocritical utopian Marxist public policy ideals, as well as their irresponsible "if it feels good and involves consenting adults it's OK" social ideal.    "I'm not trying to dodge the draft. We are not supposed to take part in no wars unless declared by Allah or The Messenger. We don't take part in Christian wars or wars of any unbelievers." -- Ali This man was married four times with chronic fidelity issues. His first wife objected to Muslim customs on required dress for women. But this isn't what makes him a lesser man than those unknown names who served before, during and after Vietnam. It is the simple fact they he refused to serve.  There was nothing smart or principled about this man. There was nothing great or courageous about this bad character. Courage was in those unknown names who simply served, even though they didn't want to. Arthur Ashe was smart and principled. A courageous man who exemplified grace and inspiration under the most difficult circumstances.   
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

We both have the liberty to make this statement, but I choose not to judge someone I don't know in such a manner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

I didn't know Manny Ramirez. Judging is what juries do, every man was given the inate ability to recognize right and wrong. I've never seen anyone controvert Ali's detestable quotes, refusal to serve (conscientious objectors are given non-combat support duties), or his infedility and failed marriages.

The current generation likes to use "don't judge me" and "everyone is imperfect" as a catch all to avoid being held accountable for bad character and irresponsible conduct. It is the worst generation in American history. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

What about your detestable quotes and attacks on countless posters?
    What does that say about your character?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Teddy ballgame was in a class by himself. He is the last man to hit .400. He spanned the era between Ruth and Gehrig. Ted spent his most productive years fighting for his country. He batted .406 in 1941, then he went to war. What would he have hit in 42,43, 44, 45 ? Who knows, but based on his previous and his 46 47 48 49 50 years performances. Ted would have hit at least 160 more Home Runs , which would have put him at 694 minimum. Then take away his stint in Korea, give Ted another 100 home Runs, that now puts Ted around 800 Home Runs.
    I had the pleasure of watching the maestro perform, albeit for only a few years, but he had no equal. I spoke with the great bob Feller about Ted. The first time Bullet Bob pitched to Teddy Ballgame, Williams lined two doubles of the Center Field Wall off Feller. We are talking a 100MPH fastball here. Feller had the utmost respect for the splendid splinter, and rightfully so.

Fans today have no idea, how good Ted was. He was never fooled on a pitch, if he was , he took the pitch, he never was off balance, or on his front foot. The next time up, the pitcher better not throw him the same pitch, or they would pay the price. IMHO he was and still is the greatest of all time. Until some one hits .400 knocks in 169 runs walks 100 times in one season. NEXT , he was the best period. The only man better at dominating his sport was , and Boston had the pleasure of watching him also, was the Great William Felton Russell. Boston and myself have been lucky, to witness such greatness.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The short answer is:  YES! 

Others can argue that it is Ruth, or Gerhig, Sisler, Speaker, Hornsby, or Cobb.  But each time you would be comparing that other era player against Williams, who is the only player of his era, or any since, to hit .400.  After the 1920s only two players have hit over .400:  Bill Terry and Ted Williams.  Williams is #1 all-time in OBP, and #2 in all-time slg pct. and #2 in OPS.  Williamss' closest rivasl in all three of these stats are Ruth and Gerhig.  But Williams did something neither of them did:  hit over .400.

BTW, why isn't Ed Delahanty part of most discussions of best hitter all-time?  He hit over .400 three times, just as many as Cobb or Hornsby.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

What about your detestable quotes and attacks on countless posters?
    What does that say about your character?

Harness, you don't have one single "detestable quote and attack on countless posters". What does that say about your character?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I was drafted right out of my last year of pharmacy school.

I certainly was not happy about the events, but the last thing on my mind EVER would have been to run to Canada.  What would I have said to my godfather who was a fighter pilot and shot down over the pacific?.....or, my uncle who was a POW in Korea and escaped?..or the thousands who walked the Bataan death march.  There is NO DOUBT in my mind that MANY did not want to be there.  They would certainly would have preferred to be in the back seat of their cars, in the woods with a 6-pack of beer and their girlfriend.

But, they WENT because country and honor called.  Isn't this what constitutes character building?

I'm proud I didn't run to Canada.  If I had, I would not have been able to face the shame and embarassement the rest of my life.

I know I said I wouldn't post anything more politica......sorry, I just have to defend those who didn't turn their backs of their country.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roadrunner9234. Show Roadrunner9234's posts

[QUOTE]The short answer is:  YES!  Others can argue that it is Ruth, or Gerhig, Sisler, Speaker, Hornsby, or Cobb.  But each time you would be comparing that other era player against Williams, who is the only player of his era, or any since, to hit .400.  After the 1920s only two players have hit over .400:  Bill Terry and Ted Williams.  Williams is #1 all-time in OBP, and #2 in all-time slg pct. and #2 in OPS.  Williamss' closest rivasl in all three of these stats are Ruth and Gerhig.  But Williams did something neither of them did:  hit over .400. BTW, why isn't Ed Delahanty part of most discussions of best hitter all-time?  He hit over .400 three times, just as many as Cobb or Hornsby.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Don't you think the fact that no man has hit over .400 since then says more about the pitching that modern hitters face than it does about the hitters themselves?

I would argue it's not possible to determine who the "greatest" hitter was. The game just changes too much across eras.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Certainly I've made my share of "detestable quotes". I try not to make a practice out of it, but certain posters bring it out in me. Remember, I'm not the one who hypercritically boasts "social graces".

Ted Williams was married three times. He felt he was a failure as a family man.
    Why haven't you judged him as harshly?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Was Ted Williams the greatest hitter who ever lived?:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff The Red Sox had this great little nugget in their pre-game media notes: today is the anniversary of Ted Williams hitting his first home run in the majors. It was April 23, 1939 against the Philadelphia Athletics at Fenway Park. Williams connected off Bud Thomas in the first inning. The Sox lost the game 12-8 and the attendance was listed at 12,000. www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/peteabepics/Ted_Williams.jpg " /> www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/assets_c/2011/04/Ted_Williams-thumb-90x135-39591.jpg " alt="Ted_Williams.jpg" width="90" height="135" /> Williams was a 20-year-old rookie that season. He hit .327/.436/.609 with 44 doubles, 11 triples, 31 homers, 107 walks and 145 RBIs. Can you image if a 20-year-old kid did that today? Surely you have done this before. But look at www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/willite01.shtml " target="_blank"> Ted's page on Baseball-Reference.com and marvel at what a player he was. The man had a .482 career OBP and a 1.116 OPS. His career OPS+ was 190. It's amazing to think somebody played for 19 seasons, came to the plate 9,791 times and got on base 48.2 percent of the time. Plus hit 521 home runs. Here's to the memory of the greatest hitter who ever lived and the first home run he hit in the majors. That must have been something to see.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

My father saw them all, Mantle, Mays, DiMaggio, etc. and despite he was a Yankee fan he swore Williams was the best hitter ever.  Supposely Williams had better than 20/10 vision which made the ball appear bigger.  It was said he could actually see the rotation on the stitching and knew what the pitch was.  I believe he served 4 years in the armed forces and can only imagine how much greater he would have been without missing that time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

you guys are getting something very wrong about Ted and his duty in Korea - he did NOT want to go and was pizzed off that he was drafted again. Some of you folks here say he put country over self....that is probably true but he wanted no part of being drafted again and fighting in Korea - look it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]you guys are getting something very wrong about Ted and his duty in Korea - he did NOT want to go and was pizzed off that he was drafted again. Some of you folks here say he put country over self....that is probably true but he wanted no part of being drafted again and fighting in Korea - look it up.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Can you blame him? Also, the Korea stint almost killed him, as I'm sure you know.