Watch out for the Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Britt203. Show Britt203's posts

Watch out for the Rays

Every media person I listen to on TV or Radio has already assumed the Sox are in the playoffs.      I don't like this arrogance.    The Rays are 7 games back in the loss column with alot of games left to play.    Their pitching is outstanding and they are very hot right now.  (won 9 of their last 11.)   

We saw what Tampa's  pitiching can do to us in the last series where we got a total of 9 hits in 3 games.      We play them 7 more times head to head,  and we play the Yankees 6 more times,  and Texas 4 times coming up.      With our injuries,  and pitching problems,  how can everyone assume we're making the playoffs.     

I'll admit I'm scared of Tampa.   And I can't stand listening to everyone discuss the rotation we should use in the playoffs,  when making the playoffs is still very much in doubt.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Watch out for the Rays

You're right.  The Rays aren't dead yet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

Im not scared of Tampa.  First off, if they were chasing one team for one spot, I'd be scared.  But they are chasing TWO... They're as close to done as you can be.  I will admit that their pitching is incredible, but not enough on the offensive side. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Britt203. Show Britt203's posts

I seriously feel they can be like the San Francisco Giants of last year.   Outstanding pitching and just enough timely hitting.   

I'm not counting them out yet.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: yankees contend

posted at 12/15/2010 7:47 PM EST
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799&plckUserId=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799">
    First: 7/13/2008
    Last: 8/21/2011
    This might be ironic, but I can see the Yankees winning it all this year........the year they didn't land a big free agent.

The balance of power has not shifted to the Red Sox.

The Red Sox are maybe a little better than last year. They added 2 great players, but let's not forget they lost 2 great players, also.

The Yankees lineup is far better than the Red Sox lineup, if you compare each position. And the Yankee pitching is still very good, even without Lee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Britt203. Show Britt203's posts

In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays:
    Re: yankees contend posted at 12/15/2010 7:47 PM EST www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799&plckUserId=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799 " /> Britt203 Posts: 16 First: 7/13/2008 Last: 8/21/2011 This might be ironic, but I can see the Yankees winning it all this year........the year they didn't land a big free agent. The balance of power has not shifted to the Red Sox. The Red Sox are maybe a little better than last year. They added 2 great players, but let's not forget they lost 2 great players, also. The Yankees lineup is far better than the Red Sox lineup, if you compare each position. And the Yankee pitching is still very good, even without Lee.
    Posted by Your-Echo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Britt203. Show Britt203's posts

I totally agree with you.  The Yankees can definitely win it all this year.   Their line-up is devastating,  and then add A-Rod to the mix.     And their pitching is probably better than ours, also.     Hughes is looking very good again, and Nova also.  I know Burnett sucks ,  but they won't even need him in the post season.    

Everyone talks like we have the best line-up in baseball.   It's not nearlyas good as the Yankee lineup.    We are not going to win this division -  I'm resigned to that fact.    I'm really just hoping we can beat out Tampa for the wildcard.   

I'm sure most people don't see it that way, but just wait a week or two,  after we get smacked around by Texas,  and it's going to get tight to win the wildcard.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

You are only an 18 yr. old Yankee fan so you probably recall Karim Garcia. He was a Yankee involved in a notable fight at Fenway Park about six years ago. Try googling his name. Your pinstripes are not that old to recall that incident.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm not worried but I won't rule it out but lets keep in mind, we're almost in September.  If it's still 7 games going into September then we are talking about a historic comeback.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Im not scared of Tampa.  First off, if they were chasing one team for one spot, I'd be scared.  But they are chasing TWO... They're as close to done as you can be.  I will admit that their pitching is incredible, but not enough on the offensive side. 
    Posted by Brian1976

Actually, they only have to catch one team to make the post-season...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I almost started a "TB is not going away: Part VI", but thought better of it.

I projected 90-92 wins for TB, and they are on pace for 89 now.

Some clown said they'd fade away in the "dog days" just as he said in 2010.

Good pitching rises to the top late in the season, and starts controlling games more than hitting. 

TB has so many young rising stars, but it is their young staff that catches my eye.

29- Shields       2.83  1.034
    24- Hellickson 3.04  1.159
    28- Niemann    3.29  1.180
    23- A. Cobb     3.42   1.329
    25- Price          3.59  1.116
    25- W. Davis   4.43  1.412

(Matt Moore is a highly regarded prospect in AAA right now.)

When a guy like David Price has the 5th best starter ERA on your staff, you're a pretty good team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posted by Brian1976

They play 7 of their final 19 vs the Sox and 6 of their final 19 vs the Yanks. Each game played is a two game swing. If they can take 5 of 7 or more vs the Sox or 4 of 6 or more vs the Yanks, they'll get a lot closer all at once. They need to close the gap to maybe 3-4 games by then to have a real shot.

Here's their tough schedule:

4 v Det
    4 @ Tor
    3 @ Tex
    3 v Bal
    3 v Tex
    3 v Bos
    3 @ Bal
    4 @ Bos
    3 @ NYY
    3 v Tor
    3 v NYY

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Some clown said they'd fade away in the "dog days"

Actually, some idiot said they weren't going away and would be in it up until the last few days. No one said they would go away in 2010, you idiot!

Now, you have crawled out of your coward's hole because the Rays are 7 out and playing home games against the powerful mariners. You will crawl back into your hole like you did for the last month, once this bad baseball team starts giving up when all but eliminated by math like "7 out with 12 to go".

"Pitching takes over" won't get a playoff spot in a division that has plenty of hitting which is why the pitiful Rays are so far back in the first place!

This is the 2nd year in a row you have been blowing the Rays. I told you the Rays didn't cut it for post season play, even though Red Sox injuries allowed them to get there. After they were embarrassed by Texas, you started your 2011 nonsense.

Go root for the great Rays! They stink in 2011, and are a red headed step child of the 2 title Marlins!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I haven't crawled out of any hole. I've been right here owning up to my past mistakes. 

TB is not going away Part I was started as a direct response to your statement that they would "go away" in 2010. Deny all you want, but it doesn't change a thing.

Nobody believes your lies anymore. Nice try.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: yankees contend posted at 12/15/2010 7:47 PM EST www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799&plckUserId=ae8db689a909933df028ca7416ac3799 " /> Britt203 Posts: 16 First: 7/13/2008 Last: 8/21/2011 This might be ironic, but I can see the Yankees winning it all this year........the year they didn't land a big free agent. The balance of power has not shifted to the Red Sox. The Red Sox are maybe a little better than last year. They added 2 great players, but let's not forget they lost 2 great players, also. The Yankees lineup is far better than the Red Sox lineup, if you compare each position. And the Yankee pitching is still very good, even without Lee.
    Posted by Your-Echo

Doesn't Brittany sound like a Yankee fan from the above post?  Why is she pretending to be a Red Sox fan in the OP.  How many times do you people need to be schooled on CONCERN TROLLS?? Are you people BLIND? It gets tiring to explain such obvious things to you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I believe that it is too little, too late for the Rays. 

The Red Sox and Yankees are too good to collapse. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scoobydew. Show scoobydew's posts

Interesting topic but too little too late for the Rays.  There are still nine days in August.  The big question is will HGH testing make big spending teams even more vulnerable to late collapses as their 30+ bodies break down.  Sox could handle Yankees or Tigers but in real trouble if Rangers have home field advantage.  A friend posted a sign from North Texas showing 100 degrees at 11 pm last night.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Interesting topic but too little too late for the Rays.  There are still nine days in August.  The big question is will HGH testing make big spending teams even more vulnerable to late collapses as their 30+ bodies break down.  Sox could handle Yankees or Tigers but in real trouble if Rangers have home field advantage.  A friend posted a sign from North Texas showing 100 degrees at 11 pm last night.
    Posted by scoobydew

Texas is a tough team.  I do not see the Angels catching up to them (Unless Weaver pitches every single game).

Therefore, I would rather have the Red Sox play the Tigers (with Boston winning the AL East) than having to go to Texas in a five-game series.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

To Your-Echo.  First off I'm a Red Sox fan, nice try.  Second, Pedro Martinez made a quote after Garcia got into it with a fan behind the bullpen at Fenway in 2004(the famous Zimmer incident).  Well here's part of the quote: "Who is Karim Garcia?  Hes not Derek Jeter, He's not Bernie Williams...etc.  Basically he was trashing Garcia after he threw over his head. No fear. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

My bad, that incident was in 2003...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I believe that it is too little, too late for the Rays.  The Red Sox and Yankees are too good to collapse. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream

I do too. 

The funny thing about softy's position is that he doesn't even know what I was wrong about. I wasn't wrong on how well TB would play this year, instead, I was wrong about the Yankees. I thought the wild card team would win about 92-95 games. I thought the AL East would beat each other so much, only one team would have a great record. I thought Tb would win about 90-92 games and would be "in it" to the end. I was wrong about them being "in it" to the end, but not because they played poorly, but rather because I misjudged how well both the Yanks and Sox would do.

The fact is TB has a very good team. They'd probably win 3 or 4 of the other 5 divisions in MLB. They have a young team. They replaced almost every star they lost last winter with very capable young players. Their pen was a bit weaker, and their timely hitting dropped off from last year. They drafted well this year, and should be tough for years to come.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

TB is not going away Part I was started as a direct response to your statement that they would "go away" in 2010

No it wasn't.  It was posted because you were wrong about the Rays being title material in 2010.

Who cares about your spin, the fact is that you were wrong. The only liar is someone trying to spin and save face. You were wrong. No need to spin. The Rays went away quite some time ago, 7 out with 36 to go, notwithstanding.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : I do too.  The funny thing about softy's position is that he doesn't even know what I was wrong about. I wasn't wrong on how well TB would play this year, instead, I was wrong about the Yankees. I thought the wild card team would win about 92-95 games. I thought the AL East would beat each other so much, only one team would have a great record. I thought Tb would win about 90-92 games and would be "in it" to the end. I was wrong about them being "in it" to the end, but not because they played poorly, but rather because I misjudged how well both the Yanks and Sox would do. The fact is TB has a very good team. They'd probably win 3 or 4 of the other 5 divisions in MLB. They have a young team. They replaced almost every star they lost last winter with very capable young players. Their pen was a bit weaker, and their timely hitting dropped off from last year. They drafted well this year, and should be tough for years to come.
    Posted by moonslav59

That is funny. He's so wound up and paranoid about not being wrong, he can't see beyond a single car length.

I, too, thought NY would be challenged to win 92, which would have opened up the WC door. The under-estimated depth in NY's starting pitching has been the difference.

The Rays won't drop off to better competition, as they'll thrive as a spoiler.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Madden Knows what he has and he may be the best manager, in at least, the AL East. He has lots of moveable parts and like BB he knows when to push the right buttons.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The OP has a point.

Sections
Shortcuts