Watch out for the Rays

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Watch out for the Rays

In Response to Watch out for the Rays:
    [QUOTE]Every media person I listen to on TV or Radio has already assumed the Sox are in the playoffs.      I don't like this arrogance.    The Rays are 7 games back in the loss column with alot of games left to play.    Their pitching is outstanding and they are very hot right now.  (won 9 of their last 11.)    We saw what Tampa's  pitiching can do to us in the last series where we got a total of 9 hits in 3 games.      We play them 7 more times head to head,  and we play the Yankees 6 more times,  and Texas 4 times coming up.      With our injuries,  and pitching problems,  how can everyone assume we're making the playoffs.      I'll admit I'm scared of Tampa.   And I can't stand listening to everyone discuss the rotation we should use in the playoffs,  when making the playoffs is still very much in doubt.    
    Posted by Britt203[/QUOTE]

The Rays have had an easy schedule and stayed relatively healthy so far this season compared to the Sox and are still 8 games back.  They had a couple minor injuries early on but nothing like our team has gone through.  The Rays strength this season is pitching and beating a lot of bad teams compared to good ones where the Sox have done well.  Shields got rocked yesterday and was beaten by the Sox in the previous game so he may be tiring due to all the complete games Maddon allowed him to pitch this season. 

The Rays may have a chance to get a little closer this week if we can't deal with Texas and the Yanks lose a couple but I think they will begin to spiral again if we can get healthy.  They have a lot of games with the Yanks and Sox down the stretch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Be careful of the TB Rays.     They'll have a lot to say about the AL East playing the Sox and NYY 6 more times each.  If they were in the Central Division they'd be contending for the lead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

MLB RPI Rankings for SOS

9Boston Red Sox.5307749.611.503267052678-48.619
    6New York Yankees.5337748.616.506367548782-43.658

18Tampa Bay Rays.5116956.552.4981153848469-56.553

Look at the S.O.S. for all three teams, since Tampa are in the 18th place for schedule strength at the same time one of the poster above posted a message showing Tampa have a very tough schedule for the remaining of the season.

Therefore, Tampa will have to play .650 ball for the rest of the season including must back to back season series wins against Yankees/Red Sox.  If they splitted one series a piece against two teams, this isnt going to help them.   Bad news is that Tampa do not play Boston or Yankees until the second week of September.   If they are still 7 to 10 games behind going to Fenway Park 

Only easy teams that they will be playing against is Baltimore/Toronto while all other teams are playoff possible teams!!

Dont worry, Tampa wont make it!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays:
    [QUOTE]MLB RPI Rankings for SOS 9 Boston Red Sox .530 77 49 .611 .503 2 670 526 78-48 .619 6 New York Yankees .533 77 48 .616 .506 3 675 487 82-43 .658 18 Tampa Bay Rays .511 69 56 .552 .498 11 538 484 69-56 .553 Look at the S.O.S. for all three teams, since Tampa are in the 18th place for schedule strength at the same time one of the poster above posted a message showing Tampa have a very tough schedule for the remaining of the season. Therefore, Tampa will have to play .650 ball for the rest of the season including must back to back season series wins against Yankees/Red Sox.  If they splitted one series a piece against two teams, this isnt going to help them.   Bad news is that Tampa do not play Boston or Yankees until the second week of September.   If they are still 7 to 10 games behind going to Fenway Park  Only easy teams that they will be playing against is Baltimore/Toronto while all other teams are playoff possible teams!! Dont worry, Tampa wont make it!!
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Good post Uconn, Tampa had a great schedule this season and it only gets harder with about 40/45 games left.  They haven't done nearly as well against good teams as Boston "not sure how the Yankee Stats are" but I certainly don't see them getting it done either.  Shields is looking tired in the last couple of games.  Maddon has allowed him to complete any game he wanted this year which I really have to question.

Anyone who thought Tampa had a shot this season was either counting on Manny to be Manny, or Tampa's easy schedule and good pitching to keep them in the race.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Also with all the september call up for the Rays, who know Maddon could mess up the chemistry of the team!!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Also with all the september call up for the Rays, who know Maddon could mess up the chemistry of the team!!  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Good point, Maddon does enjoy juggling lineups.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ok folks with 38 games left let's make an assumption.The RS and NYY before yesterday go 500 19-19 with identical records of 96-66.
    The Rays must go 27-10 to match them a 729 winning percentage.

Is it possible yes probable no.

We all know how good Philly is and they are at a 648 clip for the year.

As for pitching yeah over the course of the year the RS have the "worst" staff. However depending on what numbers you look at the Rays/RS/NYY are similar in many respects.
    The FLD% is .004 difference between the Rays/NYY/RS and RS and Rays are .001
    BA Rays 245 ave vs the RS at 278 and NYY at 268

Do you really see the Rays catching either one? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe not this year, but next year watchout. They have a kid sitting in the Minors, Moore, who would be a starter now on many teams.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

bobbysu, here is my take on the 2011 Rays.  They lost a lot of productive players this season but guys like Kotch, Joyce and Jaso have played well.  Also, any team in need of an identity could never go wrong by signing Damon.  He is a leader who can still come through with a lot of clutch hits.  Manny was their biggest mistake and one that seriously hurt their run production this season. 

The Rays pitching has kept them close in recent years but by dangling Niemann and Upton before the deadline it showed me two things.

#1 They made a mistake with Manny and now realize nobody wants Upton.
    #2 They also don't believe pitching and an easy schedule puts them in a position to seriously compete with Boston or NY.

Moving forward Tampa will need to make a big offensive acquisition or two, otherwise they will be third "at best" in the AL East for many years unless they change divisions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

No, Rays are not going away  It is not unheard that a team could come back in August and September to win a post-season slot and a team with good pitching and clutch hitting - which is not to be confused with hitting for high average - can be dangerous. 

While not done yet, I don't think the Rays will get a post-season berth this year.  But next year, watch out.

But for this year, they are just young enough and hungry enough to play the spoiler.  So both the Red Sox and Yankees need to be wary of them.

I also think they will be moving from that stupid domed stadium to another venue in another town.  Hate that place.

But I digress.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Rays went away when they went 10 back. Schedule is all that has them 7 back, and totally irrelevant to playoff contention. Only losers would claim otherwise.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

With the lineup the Sox are putting out there now they are capable of getting swept in Texas.  TB has won a couple of games lately with late comebacks so they have some mojo going for them.  The Sox still have to go to TB so there is nothing clinched yet as far as the playoffs.  I am worried about TB even if most people aren't.  Its not over until its over, right Yogi?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

There wasnt any qualification from the diwit about "I didnt realize Yankees would be that good". Rays are on pace for about 89 wins, which is no chance. Dimwit pretended that this meant Rays werent going away. Waiver wire serious dumps are next for Rays, as well as a GM looking to leave a losing organization that will not commit what it takes to put out even one title team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]With the lineup the Sox are putting out there now they are capable of getting swept in Texas.  TB has won a couple of games lately with late comebacks so they have some mojo going for them.  The Sox still have to go to TB so there is nothing clinched yet as far as the playoffs.  I am worried about TB even if most people aren't.  Its not over until its over, right Yogi?
    Posted by splendidsplinterteddyballgame[/QUOTE]

Might it be a possibility that you are a TB fan?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]Ok folks with 38 games left let's make an assumption.The RS and NYY before yesterday go 500 19-19 with identical records of 96-66. The Rays must go 27-10 to match them a 729 winning percentage. Is it possible yes probable no. We all know how good Philly is and they are at a 648 clip for the year. As for pitching yeah over the course of the year the RS have the "worst" staff. However depending on what numbers you look at the Rays/RS/NYY are similar in many respects. The FLD% is .004 difference between the Rays/NYY/RS and RS and Rays are .001 BA Rays 245 ave vs the RS at 278 and NYY at 268 Do you really see the Rays catching either one? 
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

No way Tampa can catch the Yankees. The Yankees are just too good, and  have way too many ways to beat you.   

The Sox?? Why not?? It's late in the season, our line up struggles virtually every game to score key runs, and once again we look more like a MASH unit then a play off contender. Meanwhile Tampa and New York look solid.

I have given up on winning the division, and I really don't want to see the Sox "back" into the play offs. So if the Rays catch us then clearly they will have had to play very solid ball in Sept.  That being the case I'm not going to concern myself about Tampa at all.

I don't want to see the Sox "hang on" to win playoff spot. If that is how it goes the rest of the season then I would rather see Tampa win that spot. That way we at least know the Yankees would need to get past a strong Tampa or Texas to get to the WS and not a beat up broken down Sox team.

Having said that of course there is always hope somehow the Sox will get better in time to be a post season match for New York but honsetly I don't like how it's looking right now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : Might it be a possibility that you are a TB fan? http://www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=f291ea838cef50d77a7c45b8e1eafbd3&plckUserId=f291ea838cef50d77a7c45b8e1eafbd3
    Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE] I am a die hard Sox fan.  I watch every game.  I am just being realistic.  I was there in 1978 and other years when leads slipped away.  I think the Sox will make the playoffs and if healthy, they can win it all, but nothing is a sure thing.  People who write off TB right now are crazy.  Sox have not played well against them at all for the last few years.  They aren't going to go down to Tampa and walk all over them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : Good post Uconn, Tampa had a great schedule this season and it only gets harder with about 40/45 games left.  They haven't done nearly as well against good teams as Boston "not sure how the Yankee Stats are" but I certainly don't see them getting it done either.  Shields is looking tired in the last couple of games.  Maddon has allowed him to complete any game he wanted this year which I really have to question. Anyone who thought Tampa had a shot this season was either counting on Manny to be Manny, or Tampa's easy schedule and good pitching to keep them in the race.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

1) TB does not have an "easy schedule". They have had an easy one so far, but when the season is done, they will be rated as one of the toughest schedules in MLB.

2) TB has pitched very well vs the Yanks (5-6 3.47 ERA) and Sox (6-5 2.74 ERA). They have a 35-32 record vs .500+ teams with a 3.38 ERA). Their worst opponents are Det (0-3) and Oak (2-5).

3) The Yanks are 2-12 (5.98 ERA) vs Boston and 6-5 (2.81 ERA) vs TB. They are 42-33 vs .500+ teams, including 9-1 vs Balt.

4) The Sox are 43-31 vs .500+ teams. They are 10-2 (3.63) vs NYY and 5-6 (3.81) vs TB this year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I'm not really worried about the Yankees...I think we can beat them in 7, if Tito keeps Wake out. I AM worried about Texas...they can EASILY beat us in five with home field advantage. Tampa is like an itch that I can't reach...sooner or later it will go away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : 1) TB does not have an "easy schedule". They have had an easy one so far, but when the season is done, they will be rated as one of the toughest schedules in MLB. 2) TB has pitched very well vs the Yanks (5-6 3.47 ERA) and Sox (6-5 2.74 ERA). They have a 35-32 record vs .500+ teams with a 3.38 ERA). Their worst opponents are Det (0-3) and Oak (2-5). 3) The Yanks are 2-12 (5.98 ERA) vs Boston and 6-5 (2.81 ERA) vs TB. They are 42-33 vs .500+ teams, including 9-1 vs Balt. 4) The Sox are 43-31 vs .500+ teams. They are 10-2 (3.63) vs NYY and 5-6 (3.81) vs TB this year.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

If you read the post, I did say the Rays schedule got tougher with 45 games remaining.  As I said when you originally posted your "Tampa won't go awy thread" I still feel they won't be close in the end.  If Boston didn't run into recent injuries Tampa may still be buried 10 or more games back with the Sox still in first place.  Tampa has only had a couple short term injuries to key players this season along with an easy schedule, yet they are still 8 games back.  Yes, they do have 12 games remaining with the Sox and Yanks, neither of who will probably lose more games than they win against the Rays.  Even if the Rays play 500 or a hair above they will probably not get close. 

If Tampa can stay within 3 or 4 games back by years end you might have something but if I were a Ray fan, praying for a major slump, or more key injuries to the Sox or Yanks may be their only hope of staying close.  The fact Shields appears to be human again is also a key part in any success.  Maddon has let the guy pitch way too many 9 inning games and it may come back to really haunt him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Is this like the object in the mirror is closer than they appear?

For Tampa, to quote Yogi, it's getting late, early...

Are they out of it, no, but they do have a significant hill to climb...

Basically from this point forward, 7 games back in the loss column, they have to pick up a game a week on either the Sox or Yanks...for some perspective they picked up 3 games on the Sox and 1 on the Yanks in the last ten games...

Easy math is this, if they continue to win 8 of 10, the rest of the way and the Sox continue to play .500 we may be looking at an epic collapse...every game over .500 we play and every win we have against them in our head to head matchup brings the magic number closer to the end for them...if the Sox and Yanks both play .550 to .600 ball the rest of the way...stick a fork em, turn em over, thier done!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : If you read the post, I did say the Rays schedule got tougher with 45 games remaining.   As I said when you originally posted your "Tampa won't go awy thread" I still feel they won't be close in the end.  If Boston didn't run into recent injuries Tampa may still be buried 10 or more games back with the Sox still in first place.  Tampa has only had a couple short term injuries to key players this season along with an easy schedule, yet they are still 8 games back.  Yes, they do have 12 games remaining with the Sox and Yanks, neither of who will probably lose more games than they win against the Rays.  Even if the Rays play 500 or a hair above they will probably not get close.  If Tampa can stay within 3 or 4 games back by years end you might have something but if I were a Ray fan, praying for a major slump, or more key injuries to the Sox or Yanks may be their only hope of staying close.  The fact Shields appears to be human again is also a key part in any success.  Maddon has let the guy pitch way too many 9 inning games and it may come back to really haunt him.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read your post, including this...
    Anyone who thought Tampa had a shot this season was either counting on Manny to be Manny, or Tampa's easy schedule and good pitching to keep them in the race.

They have about the same schedule as Boston and NYY. Nobody was "counting" on their easy schedule, because they don't have one.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch out for the Rays : Yes, I read your post, including this... Anyone who thought Tampa had a shot this season was either counting on Manny to be Manny, or Tampa's easy schedule and good pitching to keep them in the race. They have about the same schedule as Boston and NYY. Nobody was "counting" on their easy schedule, because they don't have one.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

They have had one most of the season.  I don't have the time or energy to see if it evens out with Boston just from the remaining games so I will take your word for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Were I a Rays fan one thing that would concern me is that the Rays HAVE won 9 of their last 11.

Baseball is a game of streaks, both for individual players and for teams, and after 125 games a team is pretty much what it's numbers are.  In this case .552, and the Rays got to .552 by virtue of that streak. 

It's not likely that this team is suddenly going to morph into a .700+ team or that either the Sox or they Y's are going to lose enough games to allow Tampa to sneak in, especially when these teams play each other during the month of September.

They may pick up enough wins to bring themselves within 4-5 games and solidify their hold on 3rd place, but regardless of Yogi's statement that, "It ain't over 'til it's over", for the Rays, it's over.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Were I a Rays fan one thing that would concern me is that the Rays HAVE won 9 of their last 11.

Baseball is a game of streaks, both for individual players and for teams, and after 125 games a team is pretty much what it's numbers are.  In this case .552, and the Rays got to .552 by virtue of that streak. 

It's not likely that this team is suddenly going to morph into a .700+ team or that either the Sox or they Y's are going to lose enough games to allow Tampa to sneak in, especially when these teams play each other during the month of September.

They may pick up enough wins to bring themselves within 4-5 games and solidify their hold on 3rd place, but regardless of Yogi's statement that, "It ain't over 'til it's over", for the Rays, it's over.

I agree, but if they should win 6 of 7 vs the Sox or 5 of 6 from the Yanks, they'd have a shot at making up the rest vs the other teams. Plus, what if the Sox keep killing the Yanks and TB take 5 of 6 vs them...

It's highly unlikely TB even makes it close, but since they play both teams ahead of them, they can control a big part of their own destiny.

Sections
Shortcuts