Watch Tek catch Wake tonight

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

Watch Tek catch Wake tonight

The lineup card says Tek is going to catch Wake.  This has been a complete disater in the past so lets see if Jason learned anything from Victor or Salty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Watch Tek catch Wake tonight

Tek's caught him in the past (distant past).  Didn't expo catch Zink a couple years back?  I know each knuckleballer is different, but just a thought.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Tek has the magic fingers to "handle the pitching staff like a genius".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tek has caught Wake more than any other catcher, except for Mirabelli.

Career with VTek:

4.65 ERA  (.777 Opponents OPS)

Overall: 4.38 (.743)

Not a huge differential.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Where is that Tek CERA magic?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FarmFan. Show FarmFan's posts

In Response to Re: Watch Tek catch Wake tonight:
    [QUOTE]Tek has caught Wake more than any other catcher, except for Mirabelli. Career with VTek: 4.65 ERA  (.777 Opponents OPS) Overall: 4.38 (.743) Not a huge differential.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Leave it to harness or you to come up with made up stats to make Tek look better.  In the past Tek has yet been able to catch a knuckleball.  Passed and fumbled balls galore so stop trying to make things look like you want them.  If he actually catches him well it will be the first time ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, I'm not too optimistic about VTek catching Wake.

The better Wake is, the harder it will be for VTek to catch him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Watch Tek catch Wake tonight:
    [QUOTE]The lineup card says Tek is going to catch Wake.  This has been a complete disater in the past so lets see if Jason learned anything from Victor or Salty.
    Posted by FarmFan[/QUOTE]Matter of fact I think he has. When Victor got here rather than using a different catcher's mitt, Victor just used his 1B glove. When Salty came here he did the same thing. And I noticed that Tek has used a 1B glove when catching Wake in relief appearances.

I think Wake and Tek as battery mates sorted fizzled out in the 2003 ALCS in the extra inning game where Wake's knuckler was so lively that the NYY couldn't lay off it or hit it and lively enough that Tek couldn't catch it.

Since then it seemed Francona preferred to use anybody but Tek even when it was no longer a case of Tek catching 4 and the other guy catching one.

It is an interesting sub-plot and dilemma for at least one poster as far as who to bag on if there are a lot of wild pitch / pass balls tonight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Watch Tek catch Wake tonight : Matter of fact I think he has. When Victor got here rather than using a different catcher's mitt, Victor just used his 1B glove. When Salty came here he did the same thing. And I noticed that Tek has used a 1B glove when catching Wake in relief appearances. I think Wake and Tek as battery mates sorted fizzled out in the 2003 ALCS in the extra inning game where Wake's knuckler was so lively that the NYY couldn't lay off it or hit it and lively enough that Tek couldn't catch it. Since then it seemed Francona preferred to use anybody but Tek even when it was no longer a case of Tek catching 4 and the other guy catching one. It is an interesting sub-plot and dilemma for at least one poster as far as who to bag on if there are a lot of wild pitch / pass balls tonight.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE] 

Hi fivekatz, I don't have the fondest memories of Jason catching Wake either.  Hopefully he does well tonight and chips in with a hit or two.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Tek caught Wake up to 03 right? I don't see why there's always this big deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Tek caught Wake up to 03 right? I don't see why there's always this big deal.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]There is a reason why the RS have had other guys catch Wake since 2003. They have gone to extremes at moments to avoid the battery. They had a AAA call-up catch Wake last year rather than Tek.

I am not sure just whose preference it is but there is little doubt the RS have gone to some lengths to avoid the battery for a long time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Watch Tek catch Wake tonight : There is a reason why the RS have had other guys catch Wake since 2003. They have gone to extremes at moments to avoid the battery. They had a AAA call-up catch Wake last year rather than Tek. I am not sure just whose preference it is but there is little doubt the RS have gone to some lengths to avoid the battery for a long time.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]
    idk, personally I never noticed much of a difference between him and personal catchers since Doug.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

well let me see here...............it's 7-1 and we are watching wake throw a gem.
    nuff said.

wake haters: line forms on the right for a big helping of crowpie.....yummy....might need some garlic though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Infield hit
    Dropped hit for a dbl
    Jacoby taking the wrong angle on the ball hit over his head on the other dbl.

He's been pretty nimble fielding of late as well.

That diet Potato salad is doing wonders.

Orel H. said Wake is a role model for working out and keeping his body in good shape.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaz456. Show Yaz456's posts

Aceves has been doing a pretty good impression of Ted Stryker.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

And so the gem that is Tim Wastefield ends as follow:

5.1 Gem Innings

5 Earned Runs

3 Walks

1 Wild Pitch/Passed Ball

2 Hit batters

1 Homer

1 Bellyflop

After a week to rest in the easyboy, vintage Tim Wastefield

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) An IF scratch hit
    2) A dropped "double" by JD.
    3) A bad angle taken by Ellsbury for another double.
    4) A phantom HBP.
    5) Aceves letting in 2 of his inherited runs.
    6) Tripped at 1B on a nifty play by the guy softy said can't field anymore.

Stick to your one game sample size of cherry-picked and distorted stats.

Wake looked good tonight.

Wake been one of our best starters this year.
    Wake has been one of our best relievers year.

Softy wants Miller called up.  Yes, the guy with a career 5.84 ERA, an 8.84 ERA last year, and about as many BBs as IPs thus far in AAA this year...

Brilliant!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The complainers are here to wish for perfect baseball which is much like John Wooden at UCLA. It makes for a lively forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

And yet he was still better than A.J. Burnett ($16.5 million):

5.2 IP, 8 R, 7 ER.

And Dice-K ($10 million + posting fee):

Surgery Friday. Red Sox Career over. 

Wake makes $1.5 million and the guy he beat to first base on the "Bellyflop" was 27 y.o. Brett Gardner, the fastest man on the Yankees and some say the fastest in the entire league. 

-Daf. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Kudos to Aceves for holding on and allowing Wake to go 3-1.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Kudos to Aceves for holding on and allowing Wake to go 3-1.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I second that, Aceves has been doing a good job.  I'm sure he feels pretty good it was Yankees he held down.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelheadfisherman. Show steelheadfisherman's posts

[QUOTE]And so the gem that is Tim Wastefield ends as follow: 5.1 Gem Innings 5 Earned Runs 3 Walks 1 Wild Pitch/Passed Ball 2 Hit batters 1 Homer 1 Bellyflop After a week to rest in the easyboy, vintage Tim Wastefield
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]

Red Sox win. Several professional AB's by Tek too. Great job by the old men in a Red Sox victory.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sure he's smiling and smiling tonight.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Red Sox are 16-9 in Varitek starts this year, 18-9 last year, 34-18 total.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's all luck... they say.