watching pitcher bat----ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

watching pitcher bat----ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Watching all of the Sox games this week as they play 'national league rules' and very tired of watching pitchers bat.

The highlight all week has been a couple of sacrifice bunts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that there are many purists out there who don't like the DH, but do you really think that watching pitchers strike out and sacrifice bunt is exciting?  Do you ever pay for your seat for these games because you really want to see the pitcher strike out?

Or do you stand and cheer when the manager makes the always crowd pleasing "double switch"?

Time to take the pitcher out of the batter's box in the National League and catch up to EVERY other professional baseball league in the world.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: watching pitcher bat----ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Watching all of the Sox games this week as they play 'national league rules' and very tired of watching pitchers bat.

I know that there are many purists out there who don't like the DH, but do you really think that watching pitchers strike out and sacrifice bunt is exciting?  Do you ever pay for your seat for these games because you really want to see the pitcher strike out?

Or do you stand and cheer when the manager makes the always crowd pleasing "double switch"?

Time to take the pitcher out of the batter's box in the National League and catch up to EVERY other professional baseball league in the world.

Couldn't agree more.

+ (what is the symbol for infinity).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I agree. serves no purpose.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto!!  100%

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

We've had somr of our best PITCHING peformances recently becaue they bat. Figure that out. I cant.

I hate the DH, always will. Pitchers sitting on their butt, is not right. No strategy, nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

We've had somr of our best PITCHING peformances recently becaue they bat. Figure that out. I cant.

I hate the DH, always will. Pitchers sitting on their butt, is not right. No strategy, nothing.

always thought the more strategy in NL suff was overplayed

so many time the removal of a pitcher is an automatic in the NL 

when they come to bat late in the game

removal of a pitcher not so automatic in AL IMO

same could be said for bunting

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't care much either way, and kind of like that one league has it and one doesn't.  I like it when one pitcher can bat .180, and others half that.  I like that some are good bunters and others aren't.  It makes a difference in strategy.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

always thought the more strategy in NL suff was overplayed

so many time the removal of a pitcher is an automatic in the NL 

when they come to bat late in the game

removal of a pitcher not so automatic in AL IMO

same could be said for bunting

Couldn't agree more about the strategy. And about removal of the pitcher -- it's even less of an issue today because of pitch counts.

Years ago when managers were more inclined to keep a starter in the game longer, I guess it was a tougher decision late in the game. But today it's very rare when it really is an issue.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

I am anti-DH. DH's are less of an athlete than kickers in football. And I think kickers and punters should be eliminated by forcing the team to only use someone who was on the field the previous play to kick or punt. But the DH is probably the least athletic position in all of sports.

The NL game is much more interesting to watch. Pitching changes, bunts, hit and runs, plus the occasional pitcher getting a base hit is more interesting than "let the old guy who can barely walk around the base paths come up to the plate 4 or 5 times a game and then sit on the bench the rest of the day." 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Chetgnat and Crazyworldoftroybrown,

I knew that there were guys out there who loved the sacrifice bunt! 

It must be the pitcher half heartly running to first on these bunts that excites you?

Or, maybe it is the intentional walking of the eigth hitter who is hitting .220 to get to that exciting pitcher hitting ninth who is hitting .039 for his career?

Or, even better still, are you one of those guys who jumps up off your couch to cheer for the manager when he makes the "good ole double switch"?

Athlete or not I still would much rather see David Ortiz get a chance to hit four times a game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

I am anti-DH. DH's are less of an athlete than kickers in football. And I think kickers and punters should be eliminated by forcing the team to only use someone who was on the field the previous play to kick or punt. But the DH is probably the least athletic position in all of sports.

The NL game is much more interesting to watch. Pitching changes, bunts, hit and runs, plus the occasional pitcher getting a base hit is more interesting than "let the old guy who can barely walk around the base paths come up to the plate 4 or 5 times a game and then sit on the bench the rest of the day." 

While I disagree with your point about how athletic a DH position is, it would be more compelling if you didn't reduce yourself to spouting cliches abut the DH being "the old guy who can barely walk around the base paths..."

What -- are you stuck in 1973 with blinders on watching just the Red Sox. Not every DH was Orlando Cepeda and his creaky knees, although I would take a Cepeda (20 HR, 86 RBI, .289 BA) EVERY time over any pitcher with a bat.

The fact of the matter is, there is no pro-typical DH. Was Jim Rice with 90 games in LF and no errors as a rookie unathletic at 22.

What about Ortiz in his prime with the Red Sox is 20s. In any other era, he would have been the starting 1B. If you're going to say Ortiz isn't athletic, then every lumbering 1B who ever played must not be athletic.

Is Dick "Dr. Strangeglove" Stuart more athletic than Ortiz simply because he played 1B because there was no DH in the 1960s.

The DH position, of course, is often filled by lesser defensive players, but not being good defensively isn't the same as not being athletic. And it definitely isn't reserved for the old guy. Heck, DH's are often young guys coming up who are blocked at their normal position by a better veteran. This was the case with Eddie Murray who was the DH when he first came up because Lee May was at 1B for the Orioles. He was the AL Rookie of the Year playing 111 games as the DH and just 43 games at 1B.

Players who have been DHs have come from every kind of mold imaginable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Couldn't agree more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

I like the fact that the DH allows a player who may be later in their career still play. Although some skills have diminished in the field, they still can be a productive part of a team with their bat.

I cant stand watching a pitcher bat and run the bases, especially AL pitchers who dont do itnearly enough and are a higher risk for injury.

Sections
Shortcuts