Way to come up big Lester! Let's walk more guys yippee!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Way to come up big Lester! Let's walk more guys yippee!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chick92. Show chick92's posts

Re: Way to come up big Lester! Let's walk more guys yippee!

does lester know he doesnt have to go to a full count on every batter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

nice time for our "ace" to start pitching like Matt Clement. His last two games he's really put the team on his back. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

Lester has got 2 be one of the most over-rated players in the league. And talk about "coming up small" He's real great in shutting teams down when the score's 14-0 like last week vs Toronto. Two huge games vs Tampa with the playoffs on the line? NADA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Has not come up big since 2008 against Anaheim in the playoffs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

LESTER JUST IS NOT THE BIG GAME GUY WE THOUGHT HE
    WAS. THERE WAS A LOT OF SYMPATHY BECAUSE OF THE
    CANCER RECOVERY BUT BIG LEAGUE BASEBALL IS A TOUGH
    BUSINESS AND THE CANCER STORY IS NOT GOING TO
    SAVE LESTER FROM REALISTIC CRITICISM. HE JUST IS NOT
    FOCUSED ENOUGH OR TOUGH ENOUGH IN BIG GAMES...
    MEDICAL RECORD ASIDE. 2007 WAS A WHILE AGO....WE
    HAVE TO MOVE ON AND IT LOOKS LIKE LESTER IS JUST A
    #3 PITCHER NOW. BECKETT IS THE REAL ACE, AND
    BUCHHOLZ IS #2. LESTER NEEDS A KICK IN THE BUTT FROM
    A TOUGH MANAGER AND PITCHING COACH...AND THE ONES
    WE HAVE AREN'T GETTING THE MESSAGE THROUGH TO JON.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Way to come up big Lester! Let's walk more guys yippee!:
    [QUOTE]  Lester has got 2 be one of the most over-rated players in the league. And talk about "coming up small" He's real great in shutting teams down when the score's 14-0 like last week vs Toronto. Two huge games vs Tampa with the playoffs on the line? NADA
    Posted by njalb[/QUOTE]

Couldnt agree more, and if i mnot mistaken hes 5th in the lague when it comes to run support (7.77).  Beckett gets 5.76 in terms of run support. Lester isnt an ace, hes exactly what he is paid at, decent 2nd starter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Lester has been mediocre this year.  I suppose he is still a top LH Starter in the A.L. - but he has been mediocre in 2011.

The team could have used a gem today - he gave them garbage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr-Murgatroyd. Show Mr-Murgatroyd's posts

Lester is a good #2 not an ace.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]nice time for our "ace" to start pitching like Matt Clement. His last two games he's really put the team on his back. 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

This guy is no ace!!!! Not even close!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Lester has been mediocre this year.  I suppose he is still a top LH Starter in the A.L. - but he has been mediocre in 2011. The team could have used a gem today - he gave them garbage.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

15-8  3.15 ERA 
    Pitching in a hitter's park.
    Pitching in the toughest division on the planet.
    That's mediocre?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I started a thread months ago saying that Lester is not clutch and I got blasted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Let me clarify, I like Lester, I just don't believe he is a clutch pitcher.  I pray that he proves me wrong.

PLEASE, Lester prove me wrong!  I welcome it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Way to come up big Lester! Let's walk more guys yippee! : Nice stats, but he was mediocre yesterday, last start not too good either, going down the stretch run. Enough with the numbers.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
     So,we should judge all players by their last 2 games? Solid argument.
    SMH 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wideright. Show wideright's posts

Really good pitcher who needed to come up big and didn't. But lets not kill the guy over two games. Yesterday was okay, but they needed better.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Sabathia choked his last game too.  It happens.  It looks worse when your team needs the win.

But let's put this loss where it belongs ... Gonzo is my favorite player now, great person, great hitter, great 1st baseman, great team mate.   But he has disappeared entirely from being a contributor.  

Sox should win any game when the opposing team scores 4 runs or less.    Gonzo is the bigger problem.    Hope he figures it out soon.  Like, today ....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]  Lester has got 2 be one of the most over-rated players in the league. And talk about "coming up small" He's real great in shutting teams down when the score's 14-0 like last week vs Toronto. Two huge games vs Tampa with the playoffs on the line? NADA
    Posted by njalb[/QUOTE]

he is over rated, he is a good-very good but not a great pitcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Again, what did you really expect?

He needs to mature as a pitcher.  His frustration when things aren't going well manifest into more bad things instead of rising up and make quality pitchers......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

LESTER GAVE US A CHANCE AND KEPT US IN THE GAME. GET REAL, WE DO NOT HAVE PITCHERS LIKE CC OR C-LEE OR H-DAY OR JV-DER. WE HAVE GOOD ENOUGH PITCHERS THAT CAN KEEP US IN THE GAME. I DO NOT BLAME LESTER FOR YESTERDAYS LOSS AND THOSE OF YOU DO YOU HAVE TO SHUT UP, AND LOOK AT OUR (LACK OF) OFFENSE. MAJORITY OF OUR LOSSES LATELY HAS BEEN DUE TO POOR OFFENSE. A WHILE AGO WE WERE LEADING THE DEVISION BECAUSE OUR OFFENSE WAS GREAT, RANKED FIRST. WE ARE GOING NOT GOING TO BE IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF POOR OFFENSE. MY POINT IS OUR STRENGTH IS OFFENSE, STRANGE TO SAY BUT ITS OUR WEEKNESS TOO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I agree with above post. It's not completely our pitching.
    Yet we lead the league in hitting stats but also must lead the league in men left on base. Don't know if it's being unlucky, pressure on batters etc. but we are not getting clutch hits and that's been the big difference !

I've lived in SF Bay area past 45 years...first 21 in Maine and roots run deep so a Boston team fan 1st & local team 2nd. Yup, I know, Giants won World Series last year.  Maybe I'm greedy but I seem to be watching 2 teams I like who can't score. The enigma is that the Red Sox are 1st in Team Batting Ave. with .280 & On Base Percentage of .461.  The Giants are last, 30th, with .239 ave & OBP .358.

The Yankees are 2nd, slightly behind us. But yesterday for example they were behind 6-1 and came back in the 6th with 2 and the 7th with 4 to end up winning 7-6.  Without the stats, just a frustrating guesstimate, they seem to do this alot.

It's just frustrating watching my 2 favorite teams as hitless, oops, I mean scoreless wonders because yesterday we did outhit the Rays. Seems we lose a
    lot of games even outhitting our opponents.  We must be leading the league too in LOB (men left on base). I don't know these stats.  If I sound cynical, I've made my point !!!  The Giants, however,do not get blown out like we do.  The difference, of course, irrespective of SF’s pathetic last place hitting stats is that their pitching is better. I say this as a guess without providing ERA Stats of their starters vs ours as this is a Red Sox forum and I’m discussing too much of my 2nd favorite team. But, if Giants and Sox met in the World Series, I’d root for Boston !!! But I was only 1/2 miserable yesterday as the Giants  scored four runs in the eighth to win 6-5, yet they were outhit in the game, and extended their winning streak to seven games. Time for SF to pass us the winning baton and have us go on a winning streak of even 2 in a row...sorry for being so cynical !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sox win that game but for the fenway flyball home run; bad luck.  The injuries are the real story, just as last year.  We miss Youk, he's a first rate hitter and he's not going to be there the rest of the season.  Like many posters have said, there's something wrong with the physical conditioning with some of the players on this club, and the individual players need to take responsibility and do something about it--guys like Gonzo, Youk, Lowrie, Papi, etc. need to get into the gym and do some serious conditoniong, stretching regimens, etc.  These guys get the big bucks and the least they can do is get and stay in top condition and minimize injuries.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mick711. Show mick711's posts

[QUOTE]Sabathia choked his last game too.  It happens.  It looks worse when your team needs the win. But let's put this loss where it belongs ... Gonzo is my favorite player now, great person, great hitter, great 1st baseman, great team mate.   But he has disappeared entirely from being a contributor.   Sox should win any game when the opposing team scores 4 runs or less.    Gonzo is the bigger problem.    Hope he figures it out soon.  Like, today ....
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

it looks worse when your team needs a win because it is worse when your team needs a win.

Sections
Shortcuts