Way to go Iggy! Red Sox Winner & Starting SS!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Way to go Iggy! Red Sox Winner & Starting SS!!!!!

It is rare to see a so-called fan so regularly denigrate so many players on the basis of judgments he made long ago.  Lowrie has the 2d highest OPS on the team, way above all other SS's in MLB, but is, to softlaw, totally inadequate in the field.  Crawford has his 2d game-winning rbi, first a hard single and last night a hard hit opposite field double into the wind and off the green monster--plus so far he's having a pretty good May.  No matter--he doesn't meet softlaw's test. 

Funny thing is, I like Iglesias too and am looking forward to when he can play regularly because the poetry of baseball is mostly on defense.  That said, he's hitting .250 or so at Pawtucket this year with nary an extra base hit.  And he has 5 errors, the same number as Lowrie, but in fewer games.  So, while I am delighted he scored the game winner last night, let's not forget that it was Lowrie who got on base in the 11th and Iglesias who was the pinch runner.  And don't forget that Iglesias was signed for $8 million, more than Lowrie's total salary to date as a professional baseball player, MLB or otherwise.

As for the much-maligned--by softlaw--Ellsbury, he leads the team in runs and is third in rbi's behind Gonzalez and Youkilis.  Plus the hitting streak, second longest by 1 in the AL so far this year.  Not good enough for softlaw, no siree.  

The only guy softlaw seems to have backed off of is Beckett, who only has an ERA of 1.99.  What discernment.  What insight.  I will guarantee that back in early April when Beckett was struggling BaseballGM or softlaw or whoever he is wasn't saying, "just wait, Josh will come around.  He's going to be big this year."  To be honest, I didn't say that either, but I love being wrong whenever I underestimate a player. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Way to go Iggy! Red Sox Winner & Starting SS!!!!!:
    It is rare to see a so-called fan so regularly denigrate so many players on the basis of judgments he made long ago.  Lowrie has the 2d highest OPS on the team, way above all other SS's in MLB, but is, to softlaw, totally inadequate in the field.  Crawford has his 2d game-winning rbi, first a hard single and last night a hard hit opposite field double into the wind and off the green monster--plus so far he's having a pretty good May.  No matter--he doesn't meet softlaw's test.  Funny thing is, I like Iglesias too and am looking forward to when he can play regularly because the poetry of baseball is mostly on defense.  That said, he's hitting .250 or so at Pawtucket this year with nary an extra base hit.  And he has 5 errors, the same number as Lowrie, but in fewer games.  So, while I am delighted he scored the game winner last night, let's not forget that it was Lowrie who got on base in the 11th and Iglesias who was the pinch runner.  And don't forget that Iglesias was signed for $8 million, more than Lowrie's total salary to date as a professional baseball player, MLB or otherwise. As for the much-maligned--by softlaw--Ellsbury, he leads the team in runs and is third in rbi's behind Gonzalez and Youkilis.  Plus the hitting streak, second longest by 1 in the AL so far this year.  Not good enough for softlaw, no siree.   The only guy softlaw seems to have backed off of is Beckett, who only has an ERA of 1.99.  What discernment.  What insight.  I will guarantee that back in early April when Beckett was struggling BaseballGM or softlaw or whoever he is wasn't saying, "just wait, Josh will come around.  He's going to be big this year."  To be honest, I didn't say that either, but I love being wrong whenever I underestimate a player. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Great post.  Usually Softy would kill a player hitting .250 in the minors.  I love the kid, too.  The Sox know he is not ready right now.  They need him because of injury.  And Tito puts him in positions where he can succeed.  Lowrie has been a nice surprise.  The best part is that he has an idea when he comes to the plate.  He has quality at bats and I love that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Max---they both have the same number of errors--true--Iggy's range allows him to get to more balls-tougher tries--resulting in errors would be my guess. Course he could think he's better than he is and blows the easy try also, not unusual. Suffice to say he's got a better SS glove than Lowrie. 

When I say decent speed--I'm thinking average or perhaps a little above average; somewhere between Papi and Drew--closer to Drew.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Max said:
    "So, while I am delighted he scored the game winner last night, let's not forget that it was Lowrie who got on base in the 11th and Iglesias who was the pinch runner."

Very good point Max.That's kind of like giving Dave Roberts all the credit for "The steal" without mentioning it was Kevin Millar who worked the walk to get on base so he could pinch run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

softy, tell us the scoop on real NFL profits. On the other hand, just go take over for Glen Beck on Faux News. You'll have lots of followers there.
    Posted by moonslav59

I did some board op work for Glen Beck down here in Tampa at 970Fla in my earlier years of radio...what a pompus azz...Like GM

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think jed lowrie is a long term fit for the sox, the redsox dont think jed lowrie has a long term fit with the sox. Hes not an ss, hes a pretty good 2nd or third basemen, and unfortunitly for him those two spots are taken up by allstar players. Jose Iglesias is the future, im just not 100 percent hes ready for the bigs yet. But that being said i dont like that hes rotting on the bench right now and needs more at bats for sure. The redsox are in a tough position becuase their starter who played ss last year went down and before he did was outplayed by lowrie. Lowrie has a hot bat, they needed to ride that especially while no one else was hitting so he became the starter. Isnt it possible that lowrie who is better surved as a super sub on this team becuase he can play all 4 infield positions (not a denegreation but a merit) could be rotated around to ease Iglesias into the big leagues. But that being said Lowrie is valuable to the team, i dont see the need to hate him so much because of his comments, he plays for your favorite team so shouldnt you be cheering for him? I dont get the point of hating a player or a manager, in the end they all play or manage the red sox, should be hoping for their success not there downfall. Why wish for tragedy and not truimph? and in the end as a famous troll used to post Who cares? 
    Posted by RSF4Life234

He only cares if HE is right, is not a true fan and cant fully root for the Sox because 1/3 of the team is on his *hit list. There are players i wish werent here, but as long as they play for my favorite team, I will hope for their success...Like a TRUE fan of the team...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe-1. Show The-Babe-1's posts

In Response to Way to go Iggy! Red Sox Winner & Starting SS!!!!!:
    Unlike Lowrie, a good overall athlete with good speed. It will be nice to get a SS who doesn't commit a bunch of errors with no range and the reflexes of an old man. Iggy can't be the everyday guy soon enough! The bonus signing money was well invested. Way to go Iggy, you are a winner. Need to get rid of some of the losers on this team. Since 2008, some everyday position players were added who are losers.

Posted by softlawRS

Ummm...when did he become the starting SS?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Iglesias is not ROTTING on the bench.  He has been up for two games.  Had Navarro not been injured, Iglesias would still be playing for Pawtucket.  Iglesias was batting .253, with a .253 slugging pct., at .278 OBP and an OPS of .531.  He will not be the every day starter for the offensively challenged Red Sox, but this kind of break from starting every day might do more to improve his offense than staying in Pawtucket would anyway.  Especially since Francona, as has been pointed out already, has been using him in situations where he can suceed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I just plain and simply don't understand the hate for Lowrie, what did he ever do to you?  I'm open to the idea of Lowrie being the newstyle DH a hybrid between a hitter and a guy who can play the infield, (would open up a roster spot in the bullpen) However the reality seems to be that the odds have Lowrie being traded are very high.  With that in mind, Lowrie playing everyday and at the level he is playing at is hopefully increasing his trade value. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

In Response to Way to go Iggy! Red Sox Winner & Starting SS!!!!!:
    Unlike Lowrie, a good overall athlete with good speed. It will be nice to get a SS who doesn't commit a bunch of errors with no range and the reflexes of an old man. Iggy can't be the everyday guy soon enough! The bonus signing money was well invested. Way to go Iggy, you are a winner. Need to get rid of some of the losers on this team. Since 2008, some everyday position players were added who are losers.
    Posted by softlawRS

Nice parody!!! Two thumbs up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Oh and now that Jedi has enough PA's to qualify, here are his offensive stats/ranking among all MLB SS's.  His defense has also been offensive at times but still ...

BA .330 T-1st
    OBP .364 5th
    SLG .505 2nd
    OPS .868 1st

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Let's face the facts:

Lowrie & Els. are KILLING US at the plate!!!!!

If we had just listened to GM & Co. we would have seen the main problem with this team!  If one takes a myopic view of silly statistics like BA, OBP, RBI's, Runs scored, etc. you miss the big picture!!!  When fairly evaluating a player, as GM & Co. do, one needs to apply a shifting metric......  If you find your 'deeper thinking' analysis being relentlessly dismantled by any player in question, it's important to not only change the metric, but you must also change the subject!!!!
    Small minds get caught up with such trivial matters as, how a player is actually doing, or how he has performed over the course of 1/2 a season, a season, or even several "full or healthy" seasons.  More importantly, empirical data is often misleading, as it encourages the untrained mind to focus on what they are actually seeing!!!  A seasoned baseball GM is trained to subjectively look at a player with a keen, skeptical, & discerning mind.  Always approaching their analysis with the underlying premise, "if I really hated this guy, how could I poke holes in their seemingly well rounded & incredibly productive game?"  This rigerous & non-Socratic analysis allows one to continue any line of thinking no matter how daunting or embarrassing the the empirical data might be to your brilliantly kinetic & arbitrary line of non prima facie logic.

Come on fellas!  These guys (GM & co.) are obviously just SO ADVANCED in their thinking & such baseball geniuses that we're unable to see the truth!

Bench the ba$#ards!!!!   :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I just plain and simply don't understand the hate for Lowrie, what did he ever do to you?  I'm open to the idea of Lowrie being the newstyle DH a hybrid between a hitter and a guy who can play the infield, (would open up a roster spot in the bullpen) However the reality seems to be that the odds have Lowrie being traded are very high.  With that in mind, Lowrie playing everyday and at the level he is playing at is hopefully increasing his trade value. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

If you can't understand the hate, you're just not trying hard enough.  That's the problem with you Gen. X types!  You're slackers!  If you try hard enough, you can learn to hate any player, no matter how much they might be helping the team!  Grow up!  This is the BIG's!

I'm currently working on Pudge Fisk!  BaseballGM has graciously offered to help in this long term project!  Old School baby :) 

:)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Oh and now that Jedi has enough PA's to qualify, here are his offensive stats/ranking among all MLB SS's.  His defense has also been offensive at times but still ... BA .330 T-1st OBP .364 5th SLG .505 2nd OPS .868 1st
    Posted by 111SoxFan111

111SoxFan111,

HUH!  What you still fail to realize, is that these objective FACTS wither under the scrutiny of a well constructed & shifting opinion!

Give it up!  You can't win this argument!

p.s.  These guys (GM & Co.) are so good, I hear they are currently employed by MLB to advise umpires on the arbitrary calling of balks against teams that they happen to find distasteful on any particular day....   :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

I think it's great to have both Lowrie and Iglesias on the big team. I'd play Iggy and have Jed back-up Youk, Iggy and Pedey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I wouldn't start Iglesias over Lowrie, at least, not yet.  Next year, maybe.  To do that, someone in the current regular lineup has to go, and I don't think it will be Lowrie or Youk.  Maybe Ortiz, who will almost certainly insist on getting more than he is worth. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

All kidding aside and choosing to ignore the jab at the current SS (rather remarkable there was a jab in this OP considering it was that SS that Iggy was running for), RS Nation has a tendency to "rush" to declare top prospects future starters and even stars.

Most folks find that the best comparison to what Iglesias might become is Omar Vizquel. Well Omar in a 23 year career put up .273/.338/.354/.617.

We are talking about a player that in a very limited AAA sample set has a OBP close to that BA. He only has 376 PAs as a professional with 92 of them in Lowell. I think it was coming into 2009 that much of RS Nation had declared that Lars Anderson would be the 1B of the future. Speed bumps had since appeared and he now looks like he is trade bait in waiting, stuck behind A-Gon.

I am not suggesting that Iglesias will be the next Lars Anderson but it is clear to me that there is developmental work to be done before he is ready for MLB. And anything can happen along the way.

Brandon Wood after his first season in AA was declared the next A-Rod and was rated the 3rd best prospect in all of baseball. Even in AAA he has put up .900 plus OPS seasons. In MLB he had two shots at making it where he got extended PT. In he had 157 PAs and put up a .559 OPS and 2010 he got he most extended shot, 226 PAs with a .382 OPS before the Angels put up the white flag and sent him back to AAA. He has since been waived and at 26 is trying to put his career back on track in Pittsburgh.

These are cautionary tales that suggest crowning the next king is always highly speculative but all the more so with limited sample sets. In fact my guess is most of the chronic angst with the current SS and CF revolve around a poster taking the position that they were being crowned prematurely and the position has become entrenched.

Just my takes

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

I project Iggy to be a likely weak MLBPA career hitter, in the lower ranges for the position of SS. But if he can field as well as Omar, a tall order, he should be in like Flint. Since Gonzo, and before Gonzo, the Red Sox have had butchers and marginal defensive SS profiles playing eveyday SS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

FWIW, that was a beautiful backhand-in-the-hole play Lowrie made last night.  Awesome throw with momentum moving away from first:  perfect arc, sweet accuracy.  Iglesias is a defensive wiz and perhaps the SS of the future, but, while Lowrie has his share of gaffes out there, he also can play some really, really good defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

it is you....it really is.

I like the nick-name Iggy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softlawRS. Show softlawRS's posts

Define "some really, really good defense"?  The reason the play looked tough was because of how limited Lowrie's range is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I did some board op work for Glen Beck down here in Tampa at 970Fla in my earlier years of radio...what a pompus azz... When you learn how to spell "pompous", you'll do a better job of handled your deep seated insecurity that leads to your "working class" bigotry. One of the most frequently used phrases of bigotry is "working class". No need to carry a chip because you come from a family of lower wage laborers. But if that's what must fuel your anger, get professional help for your problem. You waste a lot of engergy like that. I can't stand Beck, for reasons that have nothing to do with why you can't stand him. In your case, it's economic background that fuels your deep seated bigotry. Beck isn't pompous, you carry a big chip that you keep putting back up after it regularly gets knocked off. Beck is in the entertainment business, and he entertains me about as much as Bruce Springstreen, which is just long enough to take the necessary action to avoid the picture and/or sound. Lowrie qualifies for nothing until he plays a full season of MLB. Right now, his main focus is on counting his days of MLBPA service.  Lowrie does not have "decent speed". Lowrie may well be the slowest middle infielders in the MLBPA.  There are players i wish werent here That begs the question, who are those players? Wishing players weren't here is a futile waste of energy. I wish Crawford and his contract weren't here, but they'll never, ever, ever, ever be able to move him unless they pay all but a small fraction of his 30 year old plus freight. Crawford will be here, so I move on to the discussion of what future team needs are. Iglesias is here, and Pedroia is here, and Youk is here, etc. I haven't "backed off of" anything on Beckett. I've said, over and over, that he was fat embarrassing performer in 2010, and whether he came back in decent shape and produced commensurate with his contract would be the most important single key to The Ultimate Key of the performance of the starting pitching staff. Despite the lovers of Lowrie's few weeks of hitting splits, offense has never been and will not be an issue for this year's season prospects (with Lowrie or without him). As with Ellsbury (I was the only one who scoffed at the "already a gold glover" talk of spring 2008), it always takes time for the naysayers to admit that Lowrie is never going to be a good enough defender to be an everyday career MLB SS. Slow release, lower velocity on the throws, slow reflexes and feet. That does not translate into an everyday career MLB SS, nor does a guy going under the early radar for short snipets of high BA and OPS change the fact that a gifted defensive SS like Iggy would be more productive for this team if he hit around the Mendoza line. Few people understand what the SS position is all about, and it's not about slugging and playing low range poor SS defense. Lowrie's only everday player future in the MLBPA is at 2nd base. There is no way this guy can handle the hot corner everday, nor can he handle a corner OF slot, even if he ever puts up high slugging numbers for a corner IF'er or OF'er for a full season (he won't).
    Posted by softlawRS

Me thinketh thou dost protest too much!

No matter how many ways you keep reframing your arguments, you still sound like a moron!

Not to even try to psychoanalyze a "guy" like you............  BUT!

*Were you an only child?
    *Did your parents heep false praise on ad nosium?
    *Were they part of the "don't keep score at my baby's game" crowd???
    *Did they constantly tell you that you don't have to listen to others because you are soooooooo smart?
    *Did your parents tell you that your opinions were always right for you?
    *Did the wipe you past the age of 10?
    *Did they demand equal 'playing time' for you once you reached junior high?
    *Did they tell you that your coach just didn't like you because you were so smart.  That he was just threatened by your superior baseball knowledge???
    *That you were sitting on the bench because he ultimately feared that you might become the first junior high player / coach????
    Did they try to get said coach fired???
    *Did they tell you that the other players / kids hated you because they were jealous of you?
    *Did they unsuccessfully bring a lawsuit against the school district when you were "unfairly" relegated to waterboy / batboy?
    *Did they constantly call your teachers to complain that your failing grades were unquestionably due to the fact that you were "bored" in class, shifting the blame to your teachers.  Lord knows it couldn't be their pumpkin's fault!!!
    *Did they browbeat said teachers into GIVING you better grades???
    *Did they subsequently suit the school district? 
    *Did they try to suit your neighbors when the other kids beat you up?

Just curious?  I think if people were able to understand you, they might not be so hostile????

Anyway......  You're a pretty funny guy!  :) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Define "some really, really good defense"?  The reason the play looked tough was because of how limited Lowrie's range is.
    Posted by softlawRS

haha.  ok, fair enough GM.  Allow me to rephrase:  I absolutely love watching Lowrie make beautiful plays like that, even though they only become manifest due to his inherent lack of ability.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

To a moron like you, one consistient analysis is double visioned as "refraiming your arguments".

From that long spit ball list you made, you have the wit and wisdome of someone who is still employing the spit ball.

Very well written, if not slightly incoherent....  ?   .....  Ahhhhhh????  Scratch head..... OK

Spit ball???  Now I was able to glean some meaning in that metaphor......

You mean, like the spit balls you were throwing out with respect to your perception / delusions about the socio-economic status of others relative to your questionable socio-economic status????   You mean those "spit balls????"

"you brought your metaphorical knife to a gun fight lad!"   :) :)

Sections
Shortcuts