We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : Based on right now. This contract has years to go. Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

The fact that his contract has "years to go" is the scary part. This signing has the potential to haunt us for years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

Personally. I kinda feel for the guy.  He wanted nothing more than to come back this year and be the Carl Crawford that we knew in Tampa.  He's had some tough breaks.  But it's not like he doesn't care.  He still has a chance to redeem himself a bit if/when he makes it back.  He might never be worth 20 mil a year, but he could still work out way better than the Nancy Drew signing.  And BTW, Drew was a pleasure to watch on defense.  He was an incredible athlete who made things look easy out there...Not so much at the plate though.. And whoever said Theo was the worst GM in the history of baseball---Get off the dope!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How much of a pleasure was it to watch Drew make a lame attempt on the Sac Fly to end G2 of 2008 ALCS?  Or to watch him NOT let the ball go foul in Tampa that cost us the game?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from angeroo. Show angeroo's posts

Wow...Really?  The fact remains that he was an elite defensive player, ask anyone who actually played the game.  Your selective memory is disturbing.  Let it go.....

By your rational he was a clutch hitter because of one grand slam against Cleveland...But we won't go there...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roaddogg1959. Show Roaddogg1959's posts

In response to "We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?": [QUOTE]This guy makes 20 mill a year. 1st year he was worth under 2 million. 2nd year (this year) he is worth zero. If he plays close to potential for 3 of six yrs that works out to 40 mill a year. Almost as much as some teams spend for all their players. Like I have said before, our compensation for Theo was him being gone!!! Then add Lackley, Jenz, Drew, and some of the comedy old guys who could not quite throw and he was the worst GM in the history of baseball. Somehow, we did, however, win two World Series with him around. That was, and continues to be one of the great miracles! Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE] Drew played more then Crawford he wasent hurt as much as him. At least he could catch a ball with ease unlike the outfielders now they have

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Comparing Carl Crawford to J.D. Drew is grossly unfair. Drew had three solid seasons in Boston, including going 14-for-40 (.350) in the 2007 ALCS and WS. He was also a solid glove in right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

Crawford and Lackey made a bigger heist in Boston than Afflect and Renner

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

CC makes JD look like Lou Gerhrig...

what a disaster he has been...and i WAS a huge supporter of his inking

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?:
    [QUOTE]CC makes JD look like Lou Gerhrig... what a disaster he has been...and i WAS a huge supporter of his inking
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    Cool of you to acknowledge that, Geo. So many around here are into revisionist history.

My only problem with signing Crawford was the price tag. But I'm with you, I though he'd be terrific.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

We all knew signing Crawford to that kind of money was stupid.  Its real bad when Drew signing was a much better deal, that says it all.  We need to invest in our homegrown players first because they can handle Boston and the pressure.  Fill in with guys like Ross where needed.  Theo has really strapped this team for many years with his poor signings.  

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?:
    [QUOTE]This guy makes 20 mill a year. 1st year he was worth under 2 million. 2nd year (this year) he is worth zero. If he plays close to potential for 3 of six yrs that works out to 40 mill a year. Almost as much as some teams spend for all their players. Like I have said before, our compensation for Theo was him being gone!!! Then add Lackley, Jenz, Drew, and some of the comedy old guys who could not quite throw and he was the worst GM in the history of baseball. Somehow, we did, however, win two World Series with him around. That was, and continues to be one of the great miracles!
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

It was a  bad signing.  With that said he is hurt.  He isn't making the decison of whether or not he plays.  You do know that right?  Disparaging  someone for being injured is not very bright.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]well I am going to throw this out there but the other thing that make s the Crawful singing really scary is what if Adrian Gonzalez has an injury where he is out for a year and half?  Or he has a big slide in his #'s?  No way the Sox could whether another big blow like this.  I said the Gonzo trade was a big risk.  Not picking on Gonzo per se but with 142 million down the drain, the Sox have no more margin for error............
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrewmitch is a rare breed - a Foul Weather Fan.

Complaining about imperfect plan and contracts is no longer enough. Now he has entered the dangerous realm of Negative Speculation! Oh no! Things can go wrong and derail this team, we all cry as if none of us were watching in 2010 and 2011. 

We can only hope for many, many cheerier posts from andrewmitch, who wont be done until he has completely drained the enjoyment out of this game for everyone...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : It was a  bad signing.  With that said he is hurt.  He isn't making the decison of whether or not he plays.  You do know that right?  Disparaging  someone for being injured is not very bright.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

snake, i usually enjoy the way u cut thru the bs but i disagree w/u this time...cc is still collecting his money, and he has barely played and hardly played well...it looks like the first 1/3 of his huge contract will be a total disaster...you cant change that...i also think the nature of the injuries have some guessing about his inner fortitude - we are not talking about broken bones here (not always a good measure but perception is there of brittleness)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The projections of CC per Bill James, was very encouraging as CC would age his speed and running would not decline as fast as his hitting...but this is the third major injury...

"Age well" did not assume he was going to improve as he aged, just not drop off as fast as normal. I said it at the time we signed him, "even if CC gives us 7 years of his career norm or even career best, he was overpaid by about $50M". How a career .337 OBP and .781 OPS ages was not the major issue. 

The other glaring weakness of the signing was CC's putrid numbers vs LHPs. He may have done just well enough to play everyday in TB, but his numbers vs LHPs do not even come close to what is needed to play in Boston. Thus, my "glorified platoon player" comment. Our numbers vs lefties was a huge issue when we signed him. The LF position is one of the best positions to fill ith a RH'd power bat, and we locked ourselves out of that choice for 7 years. The extra $50M spent on CC could have been used wisely to fill other gaps. If CC remains injured all the time, it really amounts to $20M lost a year, but I do not think we should view it this way. CC has always been in tremendous shape. It's hard to expect things like this.

As for the AGon trade and extension signing: AGon is a dominating player. I was for both teh trade and signing only because getting a bat like his for what little we gave up was worth it. I expressed a couple of concerns about the signing beyond the obvious risk any longterm signing entails:

1) The 1B position is full of good to great players and is one of the easiest positions to fill every year. The differential between a top 3 MLB 1Bman and an average 1Bman is not that great when compared to other positions, so gaining AGon was not much of an upgrade over what we had (Youk) or could have had for cheaper going forward.

2) I realize moving Youk to 3B projected to improve two positions offensively with one move, but at Youk's age, I warned that we were risking losing or seeing a more rapid decline from our one true RH'd power bat and OB machine. Youk was at the age where 1B should have been his position. I'm not saying his recent injuries were 3B related, but trying to play hurt at 3B vs 1B is a different thing.

The trading of Youk (or letting Papi walk and make Youk the DH) and extending Beltre argument was a tough call. Beltre's deal was too long for his age, and he's gotten hurt as well. It's hard to say if we'd have been better not having AGon. We may have traded Rizzo and Kelly for somebody else, and used the money spent on AGon for Fielder or Pujols... who knows.

I'm happy we have AGon, but when it comes to CC, I'm not Monday morning QB'ing: even if he gives us 5 years of near his career best season, he's not worth close to $20M/yr. Period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Moon you do realize that you are NOT the person who decides if CC is worth the money right??

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : snake, i usually enjoy the way u cut thru the bs but i disagree w/u this time...cc is still collecting his money, and he has barely played and hardly played well...it looks like the first 1/3 of his huge contract will be a total disaster...you cant change that...i also think the nature of the injuries have some guessing about his inner fortitude - we are not talking about broken bones here (not always a good measure but perception is there of brittleness)
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

His signing is a disaster no doubt about that.  And I was in favor of it as well.  I just don't see the inner fortitude thing.  Drew already had a rep of being a big Nancy.  Crawford has the opposite of that rep.  To me it is okay to say he stinks...but calling his manhood into question is a bit much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : I have to disagree with you. I am thinking Crawfish wants not to play. His wrist could have been handled much earlier so it would have been rehabbed prior to SOS. The elbow came as result of something HE did to it. I sincerely believe he is making sure he doesn't have to play. Something some of you know and some of you should know is that the sox are getting some kind of insurance payments on the guy. It is rarely talked about but most big contracts are insured some by Lloyds of London. If we can assume Mr H is fully compensated for his salary by insurance the sox will be better off with him gone. I do not see taking Ross out of lineup for Craw even against right handed pitching. I am really saying the guy is not manning up. He is not manning up. He is brittle like Ells but somehow we know Ells wants to play because this is his money year. That is another story that I will focus on in new thread. Take another look at it Snake.

I respect where you are coming from.  As I said though Crawford does not have a rep of being a guy who is going to dog it.  I dont have any real info on it though obviously.  Just a gut feeling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Moon you do realize that you are NOT the person who decides if CC is worth the money right??
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]

I decide for me. It's my opinion, and I recognize that it is nothing more than that.

What seperated me from many others here today, is that I came out strongly against the CC signing the minute he was inked. I am not not Monday morning QB'ing. I also am ot writing CC off. I still think he will come back and put up some seasons similar to his last few in TB. That will help the Sox, but in my opinion, he'll never come close to be worth $20M with a sub .700 OPS vs LHPs and never going above .850 or .900 overall.

I realize that fangraph had valued CC worth $20M, and I don't pretend to know more than them, but most of his value came from his defense, and his defense is not realized fully in Fenway's short LF, and I think he was over-rated in that area to begin with. I also think fangraphs over-values defense at certain positions, like LF.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His signing is a disaster no doubt about that.  And I was in favor of it as well.  I just don't see the inner fortitude thing.  Drew already had a rep of being a big Nancy.  Crawford has the opposite of that rep.  To me it is okay to say he stinks...but calling his manhood into question is a bit much.

Snake, you are an honest man. Hadly anyone is admitting to being for the signing, but if you go back to the day after the signing, a vast majority were tickled pink we got him.

I agree on the manhood questioning krapola. I live near Houston (CC's hometown) and this guy has a big rep as one of the hardest working atheltes ins sports. His off-season work-out regime is legendary. He also has no history of milking injuries or refusing to play when able.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I was not "tickled pink" so where is my medal?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : I have to disagree with you. I am thinking Crawfish wants not to play. His wrist could have been handled much earlier so it would have been rehabbed prior to SOS. The elbow came as result of something HE did to it. I sincerely believe he is making sure he doesn't have to play. Something some of you know and some of you should know is that the sox are getting some kind of insurance payments on the guy. It is rarely talked about but most big contracts are insured some by Lloyds of London. If we can assume Mr H is fully compensated for his salary by insurance the sox will be better off with him gone. I do not see taking Ross out of lineup for Craw even against right handed pitching. I am really saying the guy is not manning up. He is not manning up. He is brittle like Ells but somehow we know Ells wants to play because this is his money year. That is another story that I will focus on in new thread. Take another look at it Snake.

But your feelings about Crawford are 100% speculation.

And the insurance is moot.  Henry might be compensated in his bank account, but Crawford counts toward the AAV for Luxury Tax, and that appeared to have been the bigger barrier this offseason....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I confess to being one who acknowledged that CC was overpaid, but thought it was by only $3 million or so per year. I now say he was worth $14 mil per year, because he was THE #1 free agent. That means he's overpaid by $6 million per year, based on the numbers he's likely to produce. I'm not saying this as a result of his being injured, but because I was being overly optimistic about his likely performance in our line-up. I still think there will come a day he will be loved and respected by Red Sox fans. He IS a decent kid who works very hard. He has an old school work ethic which I think will appeal to New Englanders worldwide...someday!

[QUOTE]"We all knew..."? Most here loved the signing.  Quite a few voiced concern over the dollar amoung, but loved having CC on the team. Only a handful of us thought the signing was "horrific" or "crippling" as I called it. Only one called CC a "glorified platoon player."
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts