We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

Well Julie does make Crawford look like Carl Freakin Yastrzemski

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?

The Drew signing was great compared to Crawford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

The guy IS a darn good baseball player with a very solid work ethic by history. I blame the Red Sox for letting this kid self train by swinging a baseball bat 1 handed. So now a 3-4 week problem with the wrist has been eclipsed by a 3-4 month problem with an elbow. Nice. The idiocy continues...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Career 330 OBP, a butcher in the field, with no arm but he can steal 60 bags does not make him a good ball player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?:
    The Drew signing was great compared to Crawford.
    Posted by ADG

Based on right now.

This contract has years to go.

Soon as Crawford has one clutch hit, he will be even with Drew, by his 2nd clutch hit, he will be the better player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew?:
    The guy IS a darn good baseball player with a very solid work ethic by history. I blame the Red Sox for letting this kid self train by swinging a baseball bat 1 handed. So now a 3-4 week problem with the wrist has been eclipsed by a 3-4 month problem with an elbow. Nice. The idiocy continues...
    Posted by Teakus

Teak, my understanding is, the issue with the elbow developed due to over compensating for his wrist, which isn't uncommon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : Based on right now. This contract has years to go. Soon as Crawford has one clutch hit, he will be even with Drew, by his 2nd clutch hit, he will be the better player.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD
    Even though he has trouble catching the ball and has a noodle for an arm? You said "better player."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Yes, but overcompensated while doing what exactly? The bottom line is the injury type he has is a result of violent swinging of the arm, such as a pitcher throwing a ball, or some idiot swinging a bat 1 handed-something he was seen doing. It's not something one gets by simply going about ones life while having a wrist injury. People get tennis elbow by swinging a racket that weighs half as much as a baseball bat. I stand by my remark.

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : Teak, my understanding is, the issue with the elbow developed due to over compensating for his wrist, which isn't uncommon.
    Posted by J-BAY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And I stand by a career OBP of a a mere .330 w/ little power, no arm and a complete and total butcher in the field........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Drew signing is far better than Crawford.  If Drew have these kind of injuries that Crawford is having now, Drew would be still play the game.

Drew is one of the better RF defender that the Red Sox had it a while.  If Drew is hitting well at the same time he is not hurting, he would be the starting RF for the rest of September.   Red Sox would have won few more games with him due Kalish have made couple critical errors which lead to Sox's losses!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"We all knew..."?

Most here loved the signing. 

Quite a few voiced concern over the dollar amoung, but loved having CC on the team.

Only a handful of us thought the signing was "horrific" or "crippling" as I called it. Only one called CC a "glorified platoon player."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

"If Drew have these kind of injuries that Crawford is having now, Drew would be still play the game."

How would Drew be able to play RF if he couldn't throw?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well I am going to throw this out there but the other thing that make s the Crawful singing really scary is what if Adrian Gonzalez has an injury where he is out for a year and half?  Or he has a big slide in his #'s?  No way the Sox could whether another big blow like this.  I said the Gonzo trade was a big risk.  Not picking on Gonzo per se but with 142 million down the drain, the Sox have no more margin for error............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought Drew was about as close to a five tool player as the Sox have had recently.  Not all that fast on the basepaths, but smart.  Stole a base or two every other decade.  But a terrific rightfielder, especially at Fenway, with a terrific arm.  And he could definitely hit and hit with power.

The problem was all those injuries, plus, I think periodic bouts with vertigo.  In his best year as a Sox, he batted in 64 runs.  Youk had an off year last year and knocked in 80. 

I think Crawford can be better, but he seems to be terrified of playing for Boston as opposed to playing against Boston, especially for $20M per year.  Too many expectations.  Maybe Pujols is suffering from the same thing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You lost me at "Drew" and "5 Tools"

You do realize that his avg w/ the Sox was .264 w/ 15 HR's and he only stole 13 bases in 5 seasons against 11 CS (54 % success rate).......

In nearly ONE-THIRD of all his PA's, he either walked or K'd.....making the only tool he needed at the plate - - - a toothpick!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

well I am going to throw this out there but the other thing that make s the Crawful singing really scary is what if Adrian Gonzalez has an injury where he is out for a year and half?  Or he has a big slide in his #'s?  No way the Sox could whether another big blow like this.  I said the Gonzo trade was a big risk.  Not picking on Gonzo per se but with 142 million down the drain, the Sox have no more margin for error............
    Posted by andrewmitch
    No kidding. The only way to avoid the risk of dead money is not sign quality players to long term deals, which means your roster will always be composed of arbitration eligible players.

Over time that tact makes it impossible to not have long valleys and shrter periods of peak performance.

The CC deal is its own beast. I never thought in a million years the Rs would have been interested in CC before they signed him. LH pull hitter with moderate power, bad vsplits versus LH, a VG OFer but limted to LF.

I figured once they did sign him that they must have liked his age an saw something deeper in his stats. So far whatever the thinking it was it has ot been close to panning out.

But A-Gon? Any big contract is a risk but he was what they are all about, high OBP, hits to all fields, and with the power that they just did not have in the system. The guy is an awesome 1B and what that does for the rest of the IF is often under estimated by old school logic which is 1B is where you park the aging DH type.

It was a good move and the contract looks pretty good when placed next the deals Fielder and Albert got this off season. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Move over Carl, there is a new guy in town...his name is Albert and he forgot how to hit...76 ab with no homeruns...Pujols may become the biggest bust...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yeah but 2, 150 million dollar contracts handed out in the same season?  but the bigger point is if we didn't have CC, if AG slides or gets injured it would be much easier to swallow...if both go down we are hamstrung for years......so.....we have to hope we get full value out of AG.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Yeah but 2, 150 million dollar contracts handed out in the same season?  but the bigger point is if we didn't have CC, if AG slides or gets injured it would be much easier to swallow...if both go down we are hamstrung for years......so.....we have to hope we get full value out of AG.....
    Posted by andrewmitch
    I can't argue with that logic but that takes you back to why do you pay $20M a year for 7 years to speedy OF who can only play LF and had a lifetime OBP of .337 and lifetime OPS of .781, not that trading for A-Gon being a bad move. The A-Gon contract looks good in comparison to his peer group.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

agreed but the problem now is that if AGone gets hurt it will be maginfied!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

In Response to Re: We all knew Crawford signing was horrific but who knew he was another Julie Drew? : I can't argue with that logic but that takes you back to why do you pay $20M a year for 7 years to speedy OF who can only play LF and had a lifetime OBP of .337 and lifetime OPS of .781, not that trading for A-Gon being a bad move. The A-Gon contract looks good in comparison to his peer group.
    Posted by fivekatz

The projections of CC per Bill James, was very encouraging as CC would age his speed and running would not decline as fast as his hitting...but this is the third major injury...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

His body is suffering from PED breakdown and it's not going to get any better look what happened to Griffey.  Oh wait, I can't say that about St. Griffey on this board.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Soon as Crawford has one clutch hit, he will be even with Drew, by his 2nd clutch hit, he will be the better player."

Umm you mean 

"Soon as Crawford has one clutch hit in a key game on the way to a World Series title, he will be even with Drew."

Please reword this and repost. 

I know Andrew Mitch wishes JD Drew didn't contribute a key hit in a World Series run, but  he did.

Sorry to hold up Drew as a franchise hero but compared to Crawford he most certainly is....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

If Crawford hits a grand slam that gets us to a world series, just like you know who, then he is worth almost every penny to me. But as of right now I wish we used that money to get a guy like McCutchen from the Pirates.

Sections
Shortcuts