We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum:
    [QUOTE]Too funny.  Name a post season series that was lost because of something Francona did?  Name the season in which the Red Sox failed to make the post season because of something francona did? $150 million (give or take) and some fans think the team needs to be micro managed. With few exceptions, the talent on this team is exceptional.  When you have this type of talent, whether it's baseball or in an office, the manager's role is to get out of the way and remove anything that might interfere with the individuals being successful. I love working for managers like Tito.  I would hate to work for someone like Ozzie.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

2009 - my only beef with him in the PO's.
    Tito did not give his team the best chance to win.
    He hit a hot-hitting Drew 8th - a waste.
    But more importantly, he allowed VMART to catch the staff, despite poor numbers with them. He should have had VMART at first and Tek catching in CA.

The team didn't hit, but had they kept the games closer, they might have gotten a split in CA, and that would have altered everything going back to Fenway.
    Not saying they would have won, but with Lester pitching game 4 in Boston and Josh in game 5 (with Tek catching), we'll never know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : 2009 - my only beef with him in the PO's. Tito did not give his team the best chance to win. He hit a hot-hitting Drew 8th - a waste. But more importantly, he allowed VMART to catch the staff, despite poor numbers with them. He should have had VMART at first and Tek catching in CA. The team didn't hit, but had they kept the games closer, they might have gotten a split in CA, and that would have altered everything going back to Fenway. Not saying they would have won, but with Lester pitching game 4 in Boston and Josh in game 5 ( with Tek catching), we'll never know.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

It is pretty apparent that Detroit always saw V Mart as a 1st base/DH and occassional catcher.  When the sox had V Mart, Tek's health was much worse than now because he had endured nearly a decade and 1/2 of fulltime catching duties.  The last year and 1/2 has helped Tek's body to heal somewhat(his injury last season was actually kind of a blessing in this regard) so had he been as healthy in '09 as he is now I doubt if Tito would have used V Mart as frequently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Tito has a basic style of management.  Each guy on the team has a role and uses those guys in the roles they were hired to do.  He doesn't change unless the team has been struggling for a while, it's the post season, or they are playing the division leader. Fans hate the style when the team is struggling.  But it the players love it.  They love the routine and they like not having to worry about getting benched if they go through a tough patch. You can;t live and die with each game or even each series.  The team gets hot, they get cold.  That's the way it is.  But it's crazy to expect a team to play .700 or even .625 ball for the entire year. They started out cold, got extremely hot, and have cooled off as of late.  Now it's time to see who can help the team and what trades are needed.

And you know this how? Sure, they will tell the media what is expected to to be said, but you can't possibly know how each player feels about Francona's leadership, or lack thereof.
    Francona tries to please his players and when a leader does that, he usually ends up pissing more people off than not. When he does have to make tough decisions, it's very unpopular since it's not expected.
    Francona needs to put the best 9 on the field, hurt feelings be damned!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I do not want Francona to fail just so theSox can let him go, so we can hire another manager. I would like to see one manager in Boston for as long as he would want to manage.

But when you have Ortiz, Drew, Lowrie, and Crawford all out of the lineup for various  reasons, even if you have to play certain players you don't hit someone who is hitting .108 in the 5th spot, and you try to not play two players  who are hitting a combined .260 between them.

How many games do the Sox have a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs and fail to score? I'll answer that myself, many or to many times. A run in the 1st inning is just as important as a run in the 7th inning. Terry hardly ever tries to score that  [those] early runs. That is one situation that I wish he would try to score those early runs more often. I guess I'm from the old school, I would like everyone to at least know how to bunt and handle the bat in order to help in certain situations. Now I also realize that we pay the big hitters to hit HR'S, and I understand that, but small ball is important. I think [while I like the DH] that the DH and the American league style of play has a big decision in how AL managers manage the game, small ball is still very important.

All managers have   some areas in which they are not espically strong, and we can critize any one, but just as players have to work on their game to improve, managers should see their weak points and try to improve on it. And I'll give Francona the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure he realizes he is not a perfect manager, I guess as fans we tend to pick apart people like him.

As a life long die-hard Sox fan, I want them to win every year[which is not possible] but we always hope for that. Also when someone questions another person on this board, as to whether they actually know anything about the game or watch many games, I can only say for myself I watch each and every game on TV, and go to Fenway as much as I can, and having played the game, managed a little, been a umpire for 35 years, I truly have a little knowledge of the game, maybe not as much as some, but believe me, I am not a pink hat fan[I really don't even know what that is], but am a guy who truly loves and lives and dies with the Sox. And living in upstate NY as anyone can imagine, having to listen to my many Yankee buddies is not easy.  My Yankee buddies are like  FRNYYGL, they only come around when the Yankee's do well.

I truly want the Sox to do well, wish Francona the best, and try not to be to critical of him, I guess I wish he were what we are not, which is perfect.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : 8AM AND 2AM on another thread in the same 24 hr. period -- all posts about Sox fans talking about the Sox. When exactly do you get to fight with Yankee fans anywhere, when you're here all the time critiquing Sox fans' posts about their team, going after anyone who says anything negative about the Yankees, and accusing posters of being other posters? Not to mention the other Sox board you post on posing as a Sox fan. Is this your whole life?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the other Sox board you post on posing as a Sox fan.

for the 20th time

prove it, show me what you are talking about

a guy called pinstripe posing as a sox fan  ?

sounds more likely that

you need a dr pike

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : And you know this how? Sure, they will tell the media what is expected to to be said, but you can't possibly know how each player feels about Francona's leadership, or lack thereof. Francona tries to please his players and when a leader does that, he usually ends up pissing more people off than not. When he does have to make tough decisions, it's very unpopular since it's not expected. Francona needs to put the best 9 on the field, hurt feelings be damned!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

So as long as no one is hurt, you would play the say (best) 9 guys every day with no days off.  You would have Pap close every game and beckett pitch every night.  Isn't that a bit like saying a marathon runner should run as hard as they can for all 26 miles? 

How do I know how the players feel about Tito?  Tito has been the coach for 7 years.  And in those 7 years, not one player has called him out.  There's not been a single report in a newspaper saying that a player was upset at a decision made by Tito.  Not even a player's agent has said anything.  Players have called each other out.  They've even called out the medical staff.  But not one negative comment about Tito - not even from Nomar, Renteria, or Lowe, guys who were not happy when they left.

As far as who should be playing, you don't think that he discusses what he is doing with Theo?  You really think that he could decide that Ellsbury is the starter instead of Coco without talking with Theo?

Francona doesn't decide which players have which roles - Theo does.  Francona doesn't decide how much playing time a player gets - Theo does.  It's Francona's job to figure out how to get the players into the line up based on the team that was put together by Theo.

Oh, it's Francona's job to give a player hired by his boss every opportunity to be successful.

And even with their recent woes against the NL, the Sox have played .650 ball in June.  That's with 2 of the 5 starting pitchers on the DL, a important reliever on the DL, a high priced free agent acquistion on the DL, and a guy making $13 million a year who can't hit his weight playing RF.  Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Too funny.  Name a post season series that was lost because of something Francona did?  Name the season in which the Red Sox failed to make the post season because of something francona did? $150 million (give or take) and some fans think the team needs to be micro managed. With few exceptions, the talent on this team is exceptional.  When you have this type of talent, whether it's baseball or in an office, the manager's role is to get out of the way and remove anything that might interfere with the individuals being successful. I love working for managers like Tito.  I would hate to work for someone like Ozzie.

Better yet, name the season in which the Red Sox made the post season because of something Francona did? You know, an instance where he made a decision or did something that had a positive affect on the outcome of a number of games that otherwise would have been losses.  Just so you know, I don't believe he made the "Roberts steal" decision. Reliable sources say that while Francona was in the men's room, Manny & Millar collaborated to give Roberts the steal sign. Francona was not happy about it. His thought was that, if Roberts pulled a hammy or got injured in some way, he wouldn't be available in case the Sox advanced in the playoffs. He was looking ahead in case Roberts was needed later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Better yet, name the season in which the Red Sox made the post season because of something Francona did? You know, an instance where he made a decision or did something that had a positive affect on the outcome of a number of games that otherwise would have been losses.  Just so you know, I don't believe he made the "Roberts steal" decision. Reliable sources say that while Francona was in the men's room, Manny & Millar collaborated to give Roberts the steal sign. Francona was not happy about it. His thought was that, if Roberts pulled a hammy or got injured in some way, he wouldn't be available in case the Sox advanced in the playoffs. He was looking ahead in case Roberts was needed later.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

What a load of hokum!  The Coma bashers have to devise conspiracy theories to revise history to show that he is so incompetent we're better off when he is taking a p#ss!  Unbelievable!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : So as long as no one is hurt, you would play the say (best) 9 guys every day with no days off.  You would have Pap close every game and beckett pitch every night.  Isn't that a bit like saying a marathon runner should run as hard as they can for all 26 miles?  How do I know how the players feel about Tito?  Tito has been the coach for 7 years.  And in those 7 years, not one player has called him out.  There's not been a single report in a newspaper saying that a player was upset at a decision made by Tito.  Not even a player's agent has said anything.  Players have called each other out.  They've even called out the medical staff.  But not one negative comment about Tito - not even from Nomar, Renteria, or Lowe, guys who were not happy when they left. As far as who should be playing, you don't think that he discusses what he is doing with Theo?  You really think that he could decide that Ellsbury is the starter instead of Coco without talking with Theo? Francona doesn't decide which players have which roles - Theo does.  Francona doesn't decide how much playing time a player gets - Theo does.  It's Francona's job to figure out how to get the players into the line up based on the team that was put together by Theo. Oh, it's Francona's job to give a player hired by his boss every opportunity to be successful. And even with their recent woes against the NL, the Sox have played .650 ball in June.  That's with 2 of the 5 starting pitchers on the DL, a important reliever on the DL, a high priced free agent acquistion on the DL, and a guy making $13 million a year who can't hit his weight playing RF.  Pretty impressive stuff if you ask me.

You know what I meant. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said the best position players so as not to confuse you.
    I do however agree with your premise that Theo runs the team, and makes the decisions. I don't believe there is another GM with the power that he has.
    As far as the players calling out any manager, it just isn't done, regardless of how they feel. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Lowell was not a fan of Francona but he never made his feelings known.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : You know what I meant. Perhaps I should have been more specific and said the best position players so as not to confuse you. I do however agree with your premise that Theo runs the team, and makes the decisions. I don't believe there is another GM with the power that he has. As far as the players calling out any manager, it just isn't done, regardless of how they feel. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Lowell was not a fan of Francona but he never made his feelings known.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Actually I am sure that Lowell was a fan until Francona started sitting him down to put the best 9 on the field.  Which point were you trying to make again?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Not to mention the other Sox board you post on posing as a Sox fan. for the 20th time prove it, show me what you are talking about a guy called pinstripe posing as a sox fan  ? sounds more likely that you need a dr pike
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Do you post on all the Sox boards you post on in haiku, or just this one? I guess I'm wondering if you ever post as a normal person like everyone else does.

IMO you're a guy who spends his entire life this way, and is completely invested in saturating Sox boards, and making sure posters only say positive things about the Yankees. Therefore, you know that you can schmooze posters with your "Greetings" and haiku talk, and then have as many aliases as you want posting as a normal man would, and no one would suspect you. I bet you think it's really clever on your part.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

Francona is overall a very good manager, but he, like every manager, has some flaws. For example, yesterday he started to warm Bard up in the top of the 8th with a three run lead. Suddenly, Pedroia and Varitek hit home runs, and he puts Bard in in the bottom of the 8th anyways. However, because Bard didn't blow up it didn't backfire, although Bard may not be avalible tonight. Another thing that bothers me about Tito is how he will put in Papelbon with 4 run leads if he has Papelbon warming up with a 3 run lead and the Sox get another run. Yes, he is already warming up, and yes, you put in your best pitcher availible to ensure a win, but everybody knows how Papelbon blows up if he doesn't have the incentive of getting another save. This is more Pap's fault than Tito's, however, because you you shouldn't become a T-Ball pitcher (get it?) because you won't get a save.
     What bothers me the most is how firmly he sticks to veterans. At the beginning of the year, when Lowrie was red hot, Francona at least partially stuck with Scutaro until he got hurt. Naturally, as soon as Scutaro got hurt, Lowrie fell off of the cliff. Normally Francona would have not given Lowrie any playing time, but Lowrie was so hot and Scutaro so cold that Francona had to hand Lowrie some of the playing time. Now, Scutaro is doing fine, but that first month or two was so frustrating.
     On the other hand, I don't get why you guys hate Scutaro. He gives you Derek Jeter offense at a fifth of the price, and he is not as bad of a defender as people make him out to be. He has average hands, average range, and an average arm. The main reason that people on this forum criticize Jeter so much (other than him being on the Yankees and, about a decade ago, being Nomar's biggest rival for second best shortstop in the league behind A-Rod) isn't because of how good he is. It is the gold gloves and money he gets that he doesn't deserve.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I think Tito is a great manager. What burns me the most is his reasoning behind batting McDonald 5th, and tonight Drew. This is what Drew has done lately:

Stat of the Day: Drew hasn't had an extra-base hit since June 8 when he homered off Lance Pendleton of the Yankees in the ninth inning. He has gone 39 at-bats since. He has one extra-base hit in his last 80 at-bats and hasn't had a double since May 9.

How does someone like that give Youk protection? I'd walk Youk everytime up.
    Put Salty or Reddick in that spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The fallacy, of course, is that these people blame every loss and every negative outcome on Francona (with 20/20 hindsight), but refuse to give him any credit when things go well.

Common sense (which the "Coma" crowd wasn't endowed very generously with) would tell you that a 46-34 record, third-best in MLB, probably means that Tito does much more right than he does wrong - which, IMO, is all you can ask of any manager.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Do you post on all the Sox boards you post on in haiku, or just this one? I guess I'm wondering if you ever post as a normal person like everyone else does. IMO you're a guy who spends his entire life this way, and is completely invested in saturating Sox boards, and making sure posters only say positive things about the Yankees. Therefore, you know that you can schmooze posters with your "Greetings" and haiku talk, and then have as many aliases as you want posting as a normal man would, and no one would suspect you. I bet you think it's really clever on your part.

You attack some of the best posters around here like zac, playball, and mikenagy - all solid posters who know baseball, have a great sense of humor, and communicate stylishly in whatever format that suits them.  Posters like them make this board interesting and fun.  You, on the other hand, have very little to offer except for petty bickering.  Being on your shitlist is a badge of honor. 

And, by the way, zac is very clever.  Clever and humor is not your forte, clueless one; hence the repeated Margaret Dumont references. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : You attack some of the best posters around here like zac, playball, and mikenagy - all solid posters who know baseball, have a great sense of humor, and communicate stylishly in whatever format that suits them.  Posters like them make this board interesting and fun.  You, on the other hand, have very little to offer except for petty bickering.  Being on your shitlist is a badge of honor.  And, by the way, zac is very clever.  Clever and humor is not your forte, clueless one; hence the repeated Margaret Dumont references. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Cry ^-- Sheriff

Hey, I realize that Zac fills in for you here sometimes at night, but that's no reason to start crying over him. I can just picture you guys on your sideboard with your endless boxes of tissues. Bullies are usually cowards.

Btw, what does it mean exactly to communicate "stylishly"? Since Nagy & PB post talking normally, I'm not sure what you mean.  

And are you giving yourself yet another badge? You do know we can't see all the badges, right? I think you changed you're name because you wanted the word "sheriff" in it because you didn't think enough posters were calling you that. lol

Zac is like a box of chocolates. You never know who you're gonna get. See? That's funny.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : That would include Joe Torre as well who managed the Mets from 1977 to 1981 without a winning season. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

and to change sports i believe Bill Belechicks years in cleveland were..lets say, less than stellar..Hes doin pretty good now too..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Do you post on all the Sox boards you post on in haiku, or just this one? I guess I'm wondering if you ever post as a normal person like everyone else does. IMO you're a guy who spends his entire life this way, and is completely invested in saturating Sox boards, and making sure posters only say positive things about the Yankees. Therefore, you know that you can schmooze posters with your "Greetings" and haiku talk, and then have as many aliases as you want posting as a normal man would, and no one would suspect you. I bet you think it's really clever on your part.

Your obsession with yankee fans is pathetic..The poser police routine is stale..you hijack boards and start fights with them while we are having a good baseball discussion..Who cares where else Zac posts or any other yankee fan..If they come here and can carry a conversation without being a tool, then who cares. Please start talking baseball again...ENOUGH ALREADY!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Re: We are awash in

It's no use Rojas and Southpaw, Kim is wise to your treason, you Yankee sympathizer scum! Time to fall back to join Zac at your secret base where you plot the demise of all loyal Red Sox fans.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

nobody likes rojas anymore

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Your obsession with yankee fans is pathetic..The poser police routine is stale..you hijack boards and start fights with them while we are having a good baseball discussion..Who cares where else Zac posts or any other yankee fan..If they come here and can carry a conversation without being a tool, then who cares. Please start talking baseball again...ENOUGH ALREADY!!
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Loosely translated:

Hi everyone. I'm "Southpaw". I've only been on this board for three months, but I already have 900+ posts, closing in on 1,000 in the next couple of days. This is my whole life. I came here already knowing everyone, including those that didn't even have the same name anymore. I've always supported the Yankee fans here no matter what they do or say. The only problem I have is what Red Sox fans do and say here. My goal is to build up as many posts as possible, so I can throw my weight around here when I go after Sox fans. The problem is, I just can't stay out of the drama until that happens.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: We are awash in

In Response to Re: We are awash in:
    [QUOTE]It's no use Rojas and Southpaw, Kim is wise to your treason, you Yankee sympathizer scum! Time to fall back to join Zac at your secret base where you plot the demise of all loyal Red Sox fans.
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

Do you know, I've never been able to tell the difference between you and "MikeNagy". Especially, when you were both always making back-to-back negative posts on Beni's threads mostly following a specific Yankee poster. To this day, you still sound exactly the same to me even when you're not together.

And "MikeNagy's" name being mentioned, and you showing up, doesn't really help any.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : and to change sports i believe Bill Belechicks years in cleveland were..lets say, less than stellar..Hes doin pretty good now too..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Southpaw,

I have always thought the Bellichek in Cleveland tenure is very similar to Tito's time in Philly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Southpaw, I have always thought the Bellichek in Cleveland tenure is very similar to Tito's time in Philly.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

good comparison as far as success goes but BB is so much more hands on and in full control of every aspect of the team (drafting/trades, signings, etc) where as Terry is content to simply manage (and even that philosphy is pretty much laissez faire)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]Zac, Even if they aren't titled as such, the frustration over people underperforming is still primarily directed at Tito and also Theo.  the malcontents who start these threads have to utilize subterfuge to get these posts started because so many people will not respond to the reactionary tendencies of the same people who have it in for the guy regardless of how many championships he manages to deliver to the fans.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]
    Wether you want to believe it or not... TITO makes his share of terrible decisions.  The problem is that in a world such as the Boston sports scene they get magnified.  Personally I hate the way he manages his pitching stafff, and I believe that quite often he is a little ignorant of the need for a move.  He puts in a VET and will not pull them when they are underperforming until they have given up a ton of runs.  SOme will claim you have to play for the long season... but when I look at the standings at the end of the year I do not see the Losses before May and the Losses after August columns......  SO it truly does not matter when you lose, they all count the same.   Therefore when he has the option to steal a win, I would like him to reach out and grab one or two of them, rather than sit there and wait until he looks like a dufus!