We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Wether you want to believe it or not... TITO makes his share of terrible decisions.  The problem is that in a world such as the Boston sports scene they get magnified.  Personally I hate the way he manages his pitching stafff, and I believe that quite often he is a little ignorant of the need for a move.  He puts in a VET and will not pull them when they are underperforming until they have given up a ton of runs.  SOme will claim you have to play for the long season... but when I look at the standings at the end of the year I do not see the Losses before May and the Losses after August columns......  SO it truly does not matter when you lose, they all count the same.   Therefore when he has the option to steal a win, I would like him to reach out and grab one or two of them, rather than sit there and wait until he looks like a dufus!
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

And I guarentee if he tried to "GRAB 2-3 wins per year" his loss total for the season would be A LOT higher!  This reminds me of the people who said Tim Thomas sucked after the game one loss in the cup finals because they saw him way out of the crease so assumed it was a mistake when it is a very aggressive style of goaltending that when executed in sync with the likes of Chara and Seidenberg on defense is highly effective to success.

You can't expect a professional manager or athlete to strategize in a way that is not their style because that is a sure prescription for massive failure!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : And I guarentee if he tried to "GRAB 2-3 wins per year" his loss total for the season would be A LOT higher!  This reminds me of the people who said Tim Thomas sucked after the game one loss in the cup finals because they saw him way out of the crease so assumed it was a mistake when it is a very aggressive style of goaltending that when executed in sync with the likes of Chara and Seidenberg on defense is highly effective to success.  You can't expect a professional manager or athlete to strategize in a way that is not their style because that is a sure prescription for massive failure!
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Lmao, a SURE PRESCRIPTION for massive failure. 
    So the talent, or abilities of a particular team would make no difference. To avoid MASSIVE FAILURE, a manager needs to manage with the exact same style. If he altered his style slightly, would it only be minimal failure??    And the big question is, what if his style isn't working????      

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Lmao, a SURE PRESCRIPTION for massive failure.  So the talent, or abilities of a particular team would make no difference. To avoid MASSIVE FAILURE, a manager needs to manage with the exact same style. If he altered his style slightly, would it only be minimal failure??    And the big question is, what if his style isn't working????      
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

I truly feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this run the red sox have been on.  Yes Francona's tenure is simply awful what with 5 years of postseason play out of 7 as a manager and 2 world series championships.  His style sure appears to work quite well to me!  But of course if it was ANYBODY else that person would have returned 7 championships and 162-0 records every season! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

look at the scores of this current winning streak - not exactly the type of games that require adept managing....look at the games we lost on the road recently - were those games out of reach for our team? abso not...maybe 'Coma's stubborn refusal to adandon Cameron/Dmac until Theo derailed the misery train with the DFA did us in???

Bosox1941 is 100% correct

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]look at the scores of this current winning streak - not exactly the type of games that require adept managing....look at the games we lost on the road recently - were those games out of reach for our team? abso not...maybe 'Coma's stubborn refusal to adandon Cameron/Dmac until Theo derailed the misery train with the DFA did us in??? Bosox1941 is 100% correct
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

So then 7 championships and 162-0 with someone else?  Of course because they win in spite of him and when they lose it is also 100% his fault.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

162-0 isn't the goal, the goal is to actually try to win games that are within reach. Most of the wins will be taken care of by the team, and yes too many of them will be in spite of Francona. Far too many of the losses might have been wins if he knew how to determine whether or not a pitcher needs to be removed. Umm lets see, he's retired 16 in a row and he struck out the side last inning, but, it's now the eighth inning and the pitching rubber has been moved back a foot so I'll bring in the eighth inning guy.
    I just recently learned that they move the pitchers rubber and also home plate before the start of the eighth inning. His fans are right, he does know more about the ins and outs of the game.

I'm still snickering about the "sure prescription for massive failure".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I give up, you just simply cannot enjoy a great run.  Assuming you were born in 1941 you observed more than 50 years of futility and yet even though this team never won anything and this guy manages us to not one but 2 championships in his first 4 years on the job he still can't manage?  I seriously don't understand your logic because clearly there isn't any.  You are the charter member of the fellowship of the miserable coined by the Big O on WEEI.  You clearly are not happy unless you're not happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

BTW I started this thread when the sox were scuffling in Pittsburgh and were headed to Philly.  After 2 games in Philly the sox were a dismal 1-4.  The trip ended 5-4 which is more than respectable considering how things started but of course we can't give any credit to Francoma because they win you know in spite of him! It's all just pure dumb luck that this team wins with this doddering idiot at the helm!  This is such a stupid argument that even an intelligent 6 year old knows better!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : 1941, I truly feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this run the red sox have been on.  Yes Francona's tenure is simply awful what with 5 years of postseason play out of 7 as a manager and 2 world series championships.  His style sure appears to work quite well to me!  But of course if it was ANYBODY else that person would have returned 7 championships and 162-0 records every season! 
    7 championships, possibly, but 162-0 isn't realistic.
    What is real is that this team should be considered a dynasty over the past 7 years. They should have been in 3 maybe 4 more World Series, and hopefully win them all, but 4 World Series titles in the past 7 years might make people call them a dynasty. Too many fans are satisfied with the 2 championships the team won. My dad passed away in early 2006 at 92yrs old. He did see them win in 2004 and we all were thrilled. Red Sox fans have waited so long for a championship that 2004 was utopia for them. I don't think any one gets a free pass because the team won a championship. I wanted more, I wanted the Yankee fans to feel some of the humiliation that we felt over the years. But in 6 years, with championship talent, the Sox won 1 more title.
    They have been poorly managed since the beginning of 2004, by a poor manager.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : 7 championships, possibly, but 162-0 isn't realistic. What is real is that this team should be considered a dynasty over the past 7 years. They should have been in 3 maybe 4 more World Series, and hopefully win them all, but 4 World Series titles in the past 7 years might make people call them a dynasty. Too many fans are satisfied with the 2 championships the team won. My dad passed away in early 2006 at 92yrs old. He did see them win in 2004 and we all were thrilled. Red Sox fans have waited so long for a championship that 2004 was utopia for them. I don't think any one gets a free pass because the team won a championship. I wanted more, I wanted the Yankee fans to feel some of the humiliation that we felt over the years. But in 6 years, with championship talent, the Sox won 1 more title. They have been poorly managed since the beginning of 2004, by a poor manager.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, blah, blah, blah!  You truly are a misrabiliac.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

The various pros and cons for Francona's management style are well-known since 5 years and it is a bit boring now to re-hash them.

I think the question is this :

Is the RS success since 2003 linked more to the new ownership than to the new manager ?

If so , then Grady Little would have eventually won the WS (or a Buck Showalter or  any half -decent manager) . In this light , the success is attributable exclusively to the new payroll & ownership more than to the guy drawing up the line-up card (a similar criticism is levelled at Girardi for example).

Isn't RS success simply a case of high payroll compared to the the league average?

And if this is so, then we shld enjoy a similar success to Yankee success (ie 2 WS per decade).

If we do not, then it is due to failures of the coach making bad decisions during play-offs.

I believe that everyone has been patient with Francona's "being there"style of management in the belief that another WS ring is right around the corner.

But if this doesn't translate into a ring after spending so much and being given the "team of the decade"- then at what point should we start looking for a more hands-on manager (i.e. Maddon).

Rgds

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

william93063 I am more interested in what william93062 has to say, you sir are no william93062.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]The various pros and cons for Francona's management style are well-known since 5 years and it is a bit boring now to re-hash them. I think the question is this : Is the RS success since 2003 linked more to the new ownership than to the new manager ? If so , then Grady Little would have eventually won the WS (or a Buck Showalter or  any half -decent manager) . In this light , the success is attributable exclusively to the new payroll & ownership more than to the guy drawing up the line-up card (a similar criticism is levelled at Girardi for example). Isn't RS success simply a case of high payroll compared to the the league average? And if this is so, then we shld enjoy a similar success to Yankee success (ie 2 WS per decade). If we do not, then it is due to failures of the coach making bad decisions during play-offs. I believe that everyone has been patient with Francona's "being there"style of management in the belief that another WS ring is right around the corner. But if this doesn't translate into a ring after spending so much and being given the "team of the decade"- then at what point should we start looking for a more hands-on manager (i.e. Maddon). Rgds
    Posted by TheFutureNow[/QUOTE]

could Grady had gotten any closer in 2003? this isnt exactly a great argument for Tito...he pretty much inheirted a stacked squad with some awesome players in their prime and has stayed at the helm as management has signed DROVES of high priced free agents to bolster our already good squad...Francona has NOTHING to do with our success....as a matter of fact I defy anyone to tell me with a straight face that there isnt a manager in mlb who wouldnt have the same record right now with this team....i dont think so - Francona should wake up every morning and thank God, Theo & John Henry for his good fortune. He is a nice man but as field manager?????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : And I guarentee if he tried to "GRAB 2-3 wins per year" his loss total for the season would be A LOT higher!  This reminds me of the people who said Tim Thomas sucked after the game one loss in the cup finals because they saw him way out of the crease so assumed it was a mistake when it is a very aggressive style of goaltending that when executed in sync with the likes of Chara and Seidenberg on defense is highly effective to success.  You can't expect a professional manager or athlete to strategize in a way that is not their style because that is a sure prescription for massive failure!

And your guarantee is worth WHAT?....  Can you write it on a roll of CHARMIN so at least it will have a use when you find out that your claim cannot be proven.... THANKS!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

[QUOTE]BTW I started this thread when the sox were scuffling in Pittsburgh and were headed to Philly.  After 2 games in Philly the sox were a dismal 1-4.  The trip ended 5-4 which is more than respectable considering how things started but of course we can't give any credit to Francoma because they win you know in spite of him! It's all just pure dumb luck that this team wins with this doddering idiot at the helm!  This is such a stupid argument that even an intelligent 6 year old knows better!
    William I did not attack your original premise.... YOU attacked mine when I said if he paid attention to his pitching moves he would be able to GRAB two or three more wins in a year.  SO please lets not play that we are all slaughtering him, I mentioned one portion of what he is WEAK at.  He will leave his vets in forever..... DREW/CAMERON/DMAC for example.... rather than go with a younger hot hand.  Since there are not many times this happens it is not of great concern to me.  However how often have you seen him pull out a pitcher that was smoking the hitters.... or leave one in when he couldn't get anything over the plate until the opposition had an 8 run lead in the 5th?   The 162-0 comment was really asinine by the way.... Thanks for showing where you come from.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

In Response to We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum:
    [QUOTE].  A team that plays .700 ball for several weeks will invariably play .350 ball soon thereafter.  Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

Have you done a statistical analysis?  You will find that's not true.  It sometimes happens, and yes there are streaks, but to say 'invariably' and actually give specific numbers is dubious. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]The various pros and cons for Francona's management style are well-known since 5 years and it is a bit boring now to re-hash them. I think the question is this : Is the RS success since 2003 linked more to the new ownership than to the new manager ? If so , then Grady Little would have eventually won the WS (or a Buck Showalter or  any half -decent manager) . In this light , the success is attributable exclusively to the new payroll & ownership more than to the guy drawing up the line-up card (a similar criticism is levelled at Girardi for example). Isn't RS success simply a case of high payroll compared to the the league average? And if this is so, then we shld enjoy a similar success to Yankee success (ie 2 WS per decade). If we do not, then it is due to failures of the coach making bad decisions during play-offs. I believe that everyone has been patient with Francona's "being there"style of management in the belief that another WS ring is right around the corner. But if this doesn't translate into a ring after spending so much and being given the "team of the decade"- then at what point should we start looking for a more hands-on manager (i.e. Maddon). Rgds
    Posted by TheFutureNow[/QUOTE]
    Very well put. It is my belief that there are more than a few baseball people out there that would have LED this team to more than 2 championships in 7 years, 1 in the last 6 years.
    Personally, I'd like to see the Sox give Mike Lowell a shot at managing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]william93063 I am more interested in what william9306 2 has to say, you sir are no william93062.  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Wow, managing the Red Sox is much more complex than I thought. Francona is now in a quandry that we, 20/20 hindsight managers, don't have to think about. What does he do tomorrow IF he needs a long reliever? Then he has to worry about the burnt out bullpen for the rest of the week. Even more bothersome is what if his planned bullpen pitchers for Sept. 4th are too tired from today's extra work?? Maybe he should have left Lackey in for a couple of more innings, and saved the bullpen.....IN CASE THEY'RE NEEDED NEXT APRIL!Undecided 
    I don't envy him...Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Did that supporter of their managerial moron, buffoon, idiot just call ME   stupid?????? LMAO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

When Tito plays his "B" team, we usually lose...I can never find a good reason for this to happen. Sure, substitutions and rotating mediocre players are fine, but sometimes he just throws in the towel. And his pitching acumen is zero. Other than that, he's great. REMEMBER!!! guys like Tito and Torre ALWAYS LOOK GOOD because they have so much talent. In 2007, Tito would have been fired, if he couldn't win with that lineup. And in 2004...send your cards and letter of thanks to Papi!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]Did that supporter of their managerial moron, buffoon, idiot just call ME   stupid?????? LMAO

Too bad BOTOX but the shoe fits!

Oh, and for the record, you initiated the childish name-calling comments...so you can where that shoe on your other foot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

This is a guy who absolutely unequivocably KNOWS that ANYONE else would have won 4-5 championships in the 7 seasons Tito has been at the helm.  Of course there is a great chance they may have won exactly zero because this team won zero in close to 90+ years but 1941 and the other haters are smarter than John Henry who makes the ultimate call on personnel.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

Lackey poitched a little more than 2 innings..... LUCKY for us all he finally gave up the pre-requisite 7 runs so that TITO could pull him from the game.

I understand the season is long... but this is ONE MORE LOSS..... and one step further from being #1 at the end of the year.....  Better hope the other managers in the DIV want to save their pitchers for next spring also.