We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum

In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum :  If it's a throw away game, why use any relievers?
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Because you don't want to wipe Lackey completely out.  Pitchers are human. 

Strange as it may sound, most MLB managers let their starters go to 7 runs--sometimes 6, sometimes 8, depending--because that makes the point, gives the starter a chance to make adjustments, etc. 

I say again something you have not responded to:  no MLB manager would have sent a reliever out to start the 3d inning.  Lackey gave up 3 in 2 innings, but that was not enough to pull him, especially in July in the middle of 13 back to back games with the bullpen already having thrown a lot. 

Exceptions to this rule are almost always in the final days of pennant races or the playoffs.  I think Joe Torre took Roger Clemens out early (3d inning?) of the 2003 ALCS, but that was the 7th game and an easy decision, especially with Pedro Martinez on the mound for the Sox.   Unfortunately for Grady Little, he thought Pedro could last forever in that game and was wrong. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

On another forum a poster who is a big fan of Mike Scioscia told me that Scioscia would never leave his pitcher in too long like Francona did with Lackey.  So I went through Lackey's game logs for 2009 and on June 10/09 Scioscia left Lackey in for 9 runs, 11 hits and 2 walks in 5 innings in a game the Angels lost 9-5.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TBA/TBA200906100.shtml

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : Have you done a statistical analysis?  You will find that's not true.  It sometimes happens, and yes there are streaks, but to say 'invariably' and actually give specific numbers is dubious. 
    Posted by OhEFFU[/QUOTE]

No I did not do in depth statistical analysis however this era of red sox teams wins approximately 60% of their games.  A .700 winning percentage will generally not happen over 162 games and the periods of 30% are inevitable for the vast majority of teams particularly when they play .700 for 3 weeks as the sox recently did before, Buchholz, Youk and the shortstop tandem started to get injured along with others.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : William I did not attack your original premise.... YOU attacked mine when I said if he paid attention to his pitching moves he would be able to GRAB two or three more wins in a year.  SO please lets not play that we are all slaughtering him, I mentioned one portion of what he is WEAK at.  He will leave his vets in forever..... DREW/CAMERON/DMAC for example.... rather than go with a younger hot hand.  Since there are not many times this happens it is not of great concern to me.  However how often have you seen him pull out a pitcher that was smoking the hitters.... or leave one in when he couldn't get anything over the plate until the opposition had an 8 run lead in the 5th?   The 162-0 comment was really asinine by the way.... Thanks for showing where you come from.
    Posted by FenwayChuck[/QUOTE]

Chuck its real simple: Francona is hated by people like you and 1941 and the frustration posts stack up whenever the sox hit a minor bump in the road.  It is very predictable and Pavlovian.  My question is where are you guys when they are winning?  If you are a true sox fan you should understand that great baseball teams lose 40% of the time.  We are very lucky to have Francona at the helm and if you don't understand that there isn't much more I can say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

So true!   In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are awash in "Coma can't manage threads" on the forum : if he was concerned about innings and conceding the game, he should have let lackey pitch 8 innings minimum. if he wanted to win he should have pulled him as soon as he saw he had no stuff ie 2-4 runs. a genius he is not. maddon is such a better manager than terry. terry would be a great bench coach.
    Posted by brdbreu[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Francona is a nice person and I like him as a baseball man"

As a "baseball man"? What does that even mean? He's a man who manages baseball I guess, you like that but don't like his managing. Weird. I guess we can't get enough good "baseball men," whoever those are - men who don't have a formal appreciated role in the game but who hang around ballparks and we are always glad to see because they are nice.

but he is not a good manager, just a very fortunate man who fell into a great situation in 04."

Please rewatch the ALCS championship series, in which Francona outmanaged HOF manager Joe Torre, who also, it could be argued, fell into a great situation with the Yankees. 

At some point you have to ask yourself why certain people keep falling into great situations and collecting rings while you don't. 

Which is not to say Francona doesn't have his faults that are worthy of analysis, but when folks on this forum dismiss him arrogantly as "Coma" that shows an inability to grasp that there is nuance in life, everything is not black or white. Good luck walking around with that attitude. Calling someone "Coma" who has won your franchise two rings for the first time since long before you were born is madness. If we had never won anything, I'd understand. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey's last start at Philly was pretty darn good, and he said himself after yesterday's game his arm didn't hurt, his velocity was good, etc.   Only in hindsight is it obvious Francona would have been better off jerking Lackey out after the top of the 2d, when Lackey had given up 1 in the first and 2 in the second innning.  Most managers leave the starter in for 7 runs, especially when it looks like their own offense looks flat--which the Sox offense definitely looked like early on yesterday. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    ROFLMAO, after 2 innings it looked like the offense was flat.  I really don't know what to say here...........................................please tell me your post was in jest...........wasn't it  Undecided

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]" Francona is a nice person and I like him as a baseball man" As a "baseball man"? What does that even mean? He's a man who manages baseball I guess, you like that but don't like his managing. Weird. I guess we can't get enough good "baseball men," whoever those are - men who don't have a formal appreciated role in the game but who hang around ballparks and we are always glad to see because they are nice. but he is not a good manager, just a very fortunate man who fell into a great situation in 04." Please rewatch the ALCS championship series, in which Francona outmanaged HOF manager Joe Torre, who also, it could be argued, fell into a great situation with the Yankees.  At some point you have to ask yourself why certain people keep falling into great situations and collecting rings while you don't.  Which is not to say Francona doesn't have his faults that are worthy of analysis, but when folks on this forum dismiss him arrogantly as "Coma" that shows an inability to grasp that there is nuance in life, everything is not black or white. Good luck walking around with that attitude. Calling someone "Coma" who has won your franchise two rings for the first time since long before you were born is madness. If we had never won anything, I'd understand. 
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Outmanaged HOF manager Joe Torre..............Are you talking about the series where Francona led the Sox to 0-3 against the Yankees and the team had a closed door meeting without Francona present??? They decided they needed to disregard Francona and simply try to win the next game. Then came the big call, the Roberts steal. Reliable sources say that Francona was in the men's room when Manny and Millar gave the steal sign to Roberts. Francona was not happy, he was fearful that Roberts might pull a hammy while attempting the steal and therefore be unavailable for the rest of the playoffs. He chastized Manny and Millar, saying there was a chance Roberts might have been hurt seriously enough that he might not recover in time for the start of the 2005 season.