We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5

tim eats innings; he just doesn't eat them very well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the guy is good for about 5 innings..then the other team seems to catch up with him..the fault lies with our manager who refuses to be proactive...starting wake should mean that aceves is going to pitch 3-4 innings and he should plan accordingly...instead we get lasdt night's nonsense where everyone saw a meltdown in prgress except our Coma...

btw I told you I could manage this team to 90+ victories w/the offense we have and last nite is a perfect example why

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

What so many of you are missing is the fact that of the 7 runs allowed by Wakefield, only 3 of them were earned. If Salty catches strike three on Pie, Wakefield has the win, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    Another 4 runs allowed by Saltalamacchia with 2 more PB's to bring his total to 12.
    I might also add the 2 runs scored by the O's in the first inning were due to two mis-played balls by Youk and Reddick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]the guy is good for about 5 innings..then the other team seems to catch up with him..the fault lies with our manager who refuses to be proactive...starting wake should mean that aceves is going to pitch 3-4 innings and he should plan accordingly...instead we get lasdt night's nonsense where everyone saw a meltdown in prgress except our Coma... btw I told you I could manage this team to 90+ victories w/the offense we have and last nite is a perfect example why
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

'cona is no more than an average manager blessed with being able to manage an expensively good major league team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]What so many of you are missing is the fact that of the 7 runs allowed by Wakefield, only 3 of them were earned. If Salty catches strike three on Pie, Wakefield has the win, and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Another 4 runs allowed by Saltalamacchia with 2 more PB's to bring his total to 12. I might also add the 2 runs scored by the O's in the first inning were due to two mis-played balls by Youk and Reddick.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

now i know why you are called 'alibiike.'
    personally, i saw an old man on the mound who shouldn't be allowed to pitch more than 4 innings at any one time. 3 innings would be preferrable.
    hopefully, he will be gone after this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]the guy is good for about 5 innings..then the other team seems to catch up with him..the fault lies with our manager who refuses to be proactive...starting wake should mean that aceves is going to pitch 3-4 innings and he should plan accordingly...instead we get lasdt night's nonsense where everyone saw a meltdown in prgress except our Coma... btw I told you I could manage this team to 90+ victories w/the offense we have and last nite is a perfect example why

Yeah but you couldn't. This isn't stratomatic. The team wouldn't listen to a deluded high school teacher. They would all laugh at you and then you would cry. You might need to have a little more cred then to be one of the biggest jokes on a boston.com message board to get papelbon to listen to you.   Just a guess.

You realize that Aceves won the 16 inning game the night before when he went three innings right?  

I am not even a big fan of Francona.  I just don't like stupid a whole lot.  So who should he have put in for three innings in the 16 inning win so he could have saved aceves for last night?

Genius.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

They won didn't they?

Wakefield is a spot starter forced into the line up due to injuries to playes making a lot than he does.

Maybe you would prefer Tavares.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : Yeah but you couldn't. This isn't stratomatic. The team wouldn't listen to a deluded high school teacher. They would all laugh at you and then you would cry. You might need to have a little more cred then to be one of the biggest jokes on a boston.com message board to get papelbon to listen to you.   Just a guess. You realize that Aceves won the 16 inning game the night before when he went three innings right?   I am not even a big fan of Francona.  I just don't like stupid a whole lot.  So who should he have put in for three innings in the 16 inning win so he could have saved aceves for last night? Genius.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

did i say he shouldve pitched last nite..thats what plan accordingly means you tool...why dont you take your sorry police act somewhere else pike...they only thing youre good for is posting personal info on this board...and thats the kind of coward you are...and why are you on these threads anyway???? youre the one who seems to have a problem with opinion being offered....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Was it me or did it not look like Wake was throwing something of a knuckle curve last night with a bit more velocity. I thought he looked good until the fifth when he looked cooked, but Francona left him in to see if he could get the win. I, too, don't understand the negativity around this guy; he helps the team win as noted above statistically and in budget terms.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : now i know why you are called 'alibiike.' personally, i saw an old man on the mound who shouldn't be allowed to pitch more than 4 innings at any one time. 3 innings would be preferrable. hopefully, he will be gone after this season.
    Posted by the_yazzer[/QUOTE]
    yaz mike is right so why not debate thatfact instead of calling Wake an old man. Look at the stats
     4.80 ERA, 3rd in IP, his ERA was driven up in a couple of appearances. In 21 appearances he has 5 games with 5+ ERs a couple of were to save the BP.

You will not find a better RP, SP, inning eater combination in MLB. Nor will you probably find another player that could handle the situation he is in.
    If he were on the market at his current contract every team in the fight would be fighting to pick him up.
    However some RS fans just don't like or get what options he gives to the RS.
    Don't you think Maddon would have loved to roll out Wakefield on anyone of the past 4 games where he used 23+ pitchers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

BTW Wake's ERA is 4.80 not 5.00.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : did i say he shouldve pitched last nite..thats what plan accordingly means you tool...why dont you take your sorry police act somewhere else pike...they only thing youre good for is posting personal info on this board...and thats the kind of coward you are...and why are you on these threads anyway???? youre the one who seems to have a problem with opinion being offered....

You didn't answer my question.  Pike never talks baseball.  I do.  So answer it.  since you are applying to be the next Red Sox manager who would you have pitched for three innings in the 16 inning game instead of Aceves?

You know because you would have planned accordingly?  

So be big and brave and show everyone what a great manager you are.  You are saving Aceves to pitch three or four innings in last nights game that Wake starts.  We get that.  Who do you pitch for three innings in the 16 inning game against Tampa?  You know the one that Aceves won?  Are you really so thick that you don't understand that when  a game goes 16 innings a manager has to use up his bullpen?

Lets hear it manager Geo.  By the way all I am policing is stupid.  Which is why I mess with you so much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

[QUOTE]Miller, Aceves and Weiland have combined for a 6.08 ERA and a 1.800+ WHIP. Yes, we are "blessed" to have a 6th starter with a 4.80 ERA and a WHIP around 1.300. That is what you are "missing". We are about to be 8-4 in Wake's 12 starts this year if we win tonight. Sidenote: Wake also has a higher percent  of his inherited runners allowed to score than any other Sox starter. His ERA could easily be under 4.00 with just a tiny bit of luck. (Yes, I know, all pitchers have some tough luck behind them, but my observations show Wake seems to have had more than his share this year.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    It is misleading to place Aceves in the same group as Weiland and Miller.
    Aceves' statistics:
    26 games, 4 starts, 63.1 innings, 3.13 ERA, 1.168 whip. Where would we be without him this year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

This thread is the definition of a knee jerk reaction. This was posted after Wakefield gave up the lead last night. He has been solid this year, but this wasn't one of his better starts. The truth is until Buchholtz comes back there is no viable alternative. Even when Buch comes back I would like to see Miller in the 'pen in a similiar role to Doubront last season. That is if Wakefield can shake this one off and keep up his current pace.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : You didn't answer my question.  Pike never talks baseball.  I do.  So answer it.  since you are applying to be the next Red Sox manager who would you have pitched for three innings in the 16 inning game instead of Aceves? You know because you would have planned accordingly?   So be big and brave and show everyone what a great manager you are.  You are saving Aceves to pitch three or four innings in last nights game that Wake starts.  We get that.  Who do you pitch for three innings in the 16 inning game against Tampa?  You know the one that Aceves won?  Are you really so thick that you don't understand that when  a game goes 16 innings a manager has to use up his bullpen? Lets hear it manager Geo.  By the way all I am policing is stupid.  Which is why I mess with you so much.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

what part of saving Aceves for Wake's starts eludes you? They should be a team on those games....why do you have a problem with that opinion? I know - because you are pike or a wannabe...either way you are better off not posting if it gives you so much stress

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

In Response to We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]What am i missing? I hear how unbelieveably lucky we are to have this Old Codger go out there and get smacked all over the field and i know im missing something. Its like the Besatles, i know there must be somethnig to them but i think they're sh1te. Wakefield is appaling year after year. He can barely walk lets alone pitch and consistently has an ERA right around 5. So what am i missing? 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

You leave the Beatles out of this, butthead.  I was with ya up until that point...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea that Beatles comment is dumb...jeez show some respect for the Fab Four

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

You can't have 5 all star starters............
    Wake has been very serviceable as the 6th starter...just don't rely on him for playoffs...

he wins ...eats innings....exactly what you expect from # 6 ......he's steady

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from geosfun99. Show geosfun99's posts

In Response to We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]What am i missing? I hear how unbelieveably lucky we are to have this Old Codger go out there and get smacked all over the field and i know im missing something. Its like the Besatles, i know there must be somethnig to them but i think they're sh1te. Wakefield is appaling year after year. He can barely walk lets alone pitch and consistently has an ERA right around 5. So what am i missing? 
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He was dissing the Besatles .... not the Beatles.  Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from geosfun99. Show geosfun99's posts

Wake is a nice story. So is Mike Lowell. So is Johnny Pesky. The difference is that  Mike and Johnny don't take up a roster spot that could be filled by a pitcher who gives us a better-than-50-50 chance of winning and doesn't wear out our catchers.
    Thank you for all the memories; but, Wake, it's time to join Sox Legends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : You leave the Beatles out of this, butthead.  I was with ya up until that point...
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

i agree; anyone who thinks the BEATLES are shi t should not be taken seriously.
    he probably loves AMERICAN IDOL.

he's probably one of the HOLES in the albert hall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ya i would say wake has value if we could keep him in the minors until we need him but having him on the major league roster hurts the team because he takes up a spot that could be used for someone who could actually contribute out of the bullpen. And as a result with wake on the roster we are playing with a 6 man pen. And at this point all he is is a 5+ era waste of space.

His ERA is 4.80 and if you watched the games, it should be much lower. Several of his inherited runners were allowed to score by other pitchers. He has had many ERs allowed due to mishandled balls on D that were not called errors.

I respect wake and all he has done for the sox throughout his career, but part of being a team player and respecting the team you play for is putting the team first and not your own personal accolades. The only reason wake is still playing is so he can become the sox all-time win leader.

This is totally false. The only reason he is playing is because he is and has been better than the alternatives. He has a 4.81 ERA and 1.370 WHIP as a starter. Miller, Aceves and Weiland have a combined 6.08 ERA with a 1.800+ WHIP as starters this year.

But in reality all he his doing is hurting the team in the process.

The team is 8-4 in his 12 starts. They could easily have been 9-3 or 10-2 had they not blown games he left with the lead.

All you have to do is look at him play the game. He cant field his position...

It is you who is not watching the games. Wake has been fielding very well this year. Last year, he had issues for sure, but this year, he is doing very well in the field. 

...he looks out of shape,

He looks the same as he always has been, as does Papi, Beckett and others.

and continues to post poor numbers.

He has recently, yes. He looked better a few weeks ago, but I still have hopes he will get back into his groove.

So in that regard i have lost some respect for wake. 

Who should start instead of Wake? Weiland?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : It is misleading to place Aceves in the same group as Weiland and Miller. Aceves' statistics: 26 games, 4 starts, 63.1 innings, 3.13 ERA, 1.168 whip. Where would we be without him this year?
    Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]

1) I only included Aceves' numbers in the 4 starts he has had this year. He seems to do better as a long man. Yes, he has been a great asset this year. I did not mean to slight him in the least.

2) I do think Aceves is a legitimate alternative to Wake as the 5th man when everyone is healthy. I just think he would much better than Wake as the longman.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

...giving us a better chance than the current versions of buch and lester.