We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5

it is clear, the Beatles have some how been dissed. I thought he was going to go for the trifecta by saying Lincoln was overated at President.

Look, you can't compare Wakefield's body of work to other pitchers. For one, he's had now a third of his career spent being used as a closer, long man, setup guy, mopup guy. The seasons in which he was listed, slated, and used exclusively as a starting pitcher in the rotation (not as 6th man insurance or spot guy) are his best seasons in the big leagues.

Anyone who has really followed his numbers, followed his performances can point on that he has historically had some of his very worst games after extended rests. In this case, not starting out of the gate v. Tampa, after sitting a few days before the All-Star Break and a few after for Baltimore. The longer he sits the less effective he is. The more he pitches on the every 5th day, the more he throws quality starts. In fact, very few times has he thrown a "gem" after extended rest, bullpen or spot starter.

With that said, he had a tough time v. Baltimore and he would be the first to tell you he didn't do the job that game. He let a passed ball on an out get the best of him. His knuckleball was moving too much, and that is unfortunately the catch-22 of knuckleball pitching. The times it is it's most nastiest, is the times it ends up hurting rather than helping him, especially because the catchers don't have any idea where the ball is moving. Still, he can find stretches in any of his starts where he can mow down the order. Not so much for a Miller, or even Lackey this season.

Where are all these supposed quality starting pitchers who are supposed to pitch in Wakefield's spot? Are they all injured? or are they just not good enough. So I like to say that I totally agree with the headline on this thread: We are SO blessed to have old man Wakefield. Good work, thread starter. Absolutely, positively the Sox are blessed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And a better chance than the current Miller, Weiland and Matsuzaka.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]Ya i would say wake has value if we could keep him in the minors until we need him but having him on the major league roster hurts the team because he takes up a spot that could be used for someone who could actually contribute out of the bullpen. And as a result with wake on the roster we are playing with a 6 man pen. And at this point all he is is a 5+ era waste of space. His ERA is 4.80 and if you watched the games, it should be much lower. Several of his inherited runners were allowed to score by other pitchers. He has had many ERs allowed due to mishandled balls on D that were not called errors. I respect wake and all he has done for the sox throughout his career, but part of being a team player and respecting the team you play for is putting the team first and not your own personal accolades. The only reason wake is still playing is so he can become the sox all-time win leader. This is totally false. The only reason he is playing is because he is and has been better than the alternatives. He has a 4.81 ERA and 1.370 WHIP as a starter. Miller, Aceves and Weiland have a combined 6.08 ERA with a 1.800+ WHIP as starters this year. But in reality all he his doing is hurting the team in the process. The team is 8-4 in his 12 starts. They could easily have been 9-3 or 10-2 had they not blown games he left with the lead. All you have to do is look at him play the game. He cant field his position... It is you who is not watching the games. Wake has been fielding very well this year. Last year, he had issues for sure, but this year, he is doing very well in the field.   ...he looks out of shape, He looks the same as he always has been, as does Papi, Beckett and others. and continues to post poor numbers. He has recently, yes. He looked better a few weeks ago, but I still have hopes he will get back into his groove. So in that regard i have lost some respect for wake.  Who should start instead of Wake? Weiland?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Moon! You obviously see the truth, while others are biased in their assessment.
    I brought up in earlier post that Wake gave up 3 earned runs last night, and that had Salty handled the strikeout of Pie, the outcome of that inning and game may have had Wake as the WP.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Updated Sox Starter Numbers:

ERA
    1) Beckett
    2) Lester
    3) Buch
    4) Wake
    5) Dice
    6) Aceves
    7) Miller
    8) Lackey
    9) Weiland

WHIP
    1) Beck
    2) Lest
    3) Buch
    4) Wake
    5) Dice
    6) Lack
    7) Acev
    8) Miller
    9) Weil

IP/GS
    1) Beck 119/18    (6.6)
    2) Lest  114.1/18 (6.3)
    3) Wake  73/12    (6.1)
    4) Buch  82.2/14  (5.9)
    5) Lack  84.2/15   (5.7)
    6) Dice  36.1/7     (5.2)
    7) Aceves 21/4    (5.2)
    8) Miller  25.1/5   (5.1)
    9) Wel     4/1         (4.0)

Opponents have a .774 OPS vs Wake. Miller, Lackey and Weiland all have over .840 OPS against.

For those who still think runner run rampant on Wake because of his knuckleball, look again (SB/Att) :

1) Weiland 0/1
    2) Wake  4/8
    2) Lester 7/7 (He's a lefty)
    4) Buch   6/9
    5) Beck   12/16
    6) Lack    20/22
    7) Dice     6/6
    7) Acev   3/3
    7) Miller  1/1

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

actually, the sox did win in 2007 with those 2 on the staff....so good point, NYY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It was 95 on the field, he just ran out of gas...hey it was only 3 earned...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5:
    [QUOTE]You're suggestion is...
    Posted by b126962[/QUOTE]exactly.. wake is STILL a solid #5 guy and is stil avalue. his ERA is 4.80. go check around the league for a better 5. he gets hit around sometimes, so what? yesterday he gie us 4 good innings before losing it all at once. a lot of it wasnt his fault. the pass ball, the dropped ball by the ovverrated defender DREW. reddick taking a bad route to a ball in CF (his worse OF position) that ells would make in his sleep.. wake is what u get with #5 guys, and he is amongst the best of those types. his defenders like playing behind him, doesnt depress everyone as dice-k used to do. i would absolutely re-sign wake for another year or 2. what else is out there? he's more reliable than aceves or miller as a starter. weiland? pleez. u know what u get with wake. is what it is.. not too high, not too low

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : what part of saving Aceves for Wake's starts eludes you? They should be a team on those games....why do you have a problem with that opinion? I know - because you are pike or a wannabe...either way you are better off not posting if it gives you so much stress
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I'm not stressed at all dude.  Why would you think I was stressed just because I like calling you out when you say ridiculous things?

Anyway what part of they needed to pitch Aceves in the previous nights 16 inning game to win eludes you?  You're the one that said you could manage the Red Sox not me.  If you are going to be grandiose then go all the way with it man.  They couldnt save Aceves because they needed him the night before.  Because the game went 16 innings. and oh yeah Aceves also got the win.  My lord this is like talking to a child.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : Excellent post Moon! You obviously see the truth, while others are biased in their assessment. I brought up in earlier post that Wake gave up 3 earned runs last night, and that had Salty handled the strikeout of Pie, the outcome of that inning and game may have had Wake as the WP.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find an old post of mine that detailed every ER Wake has allowed this year. There have been over 10 ERs that were of the "cheap" variety. I believe he has had 3-4 ERs of his allowed by relievers this year. He has gotten no decisions in 2-3 starts when he left with the lead.

Bottomline: the guy has pitched better than his numbers indicate, and even if you take his numbers at face value, he has been our 4th best starter this year.

What more can you hope for from a 6th starter than to put up 4th starter numbers?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]BTW Wake's ERA is 4.80 not 5.00.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Given the oppurtunity it will end up somewhere north of 5.5 for the year, that is if he doesn't throw out his back with all the extra weight he is carrying.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

All you Wake supporters do realize that runs are trending downward across the board in MLB, so if Tim is approaching his lifetime averages he is really continueing his downward slide, and if was a starter on say the Mariners, A's, etc he would have a losing record because the offense couldn't bail him out. He had a nice little run, but like Lowrie, play them when hot, but be quick with the hook when the law of diminishing returns takes effect.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alan-inWA. Show Alan-inWA's posts

Wakefields career win/loss record is 198/175.  Since 2004 it is 82/74.  He seems to be a 50/50 pitcher which is a wash and which also means that on a 5 man rotation 20% of the games are neutral results for the effort.  This is what you can expect of the knuckleball in the law of averages because locating the pitch is impossible to predict.  There was no advantage in having him but a lot of bandwagon fans think he is Mother Theresa.  In a post-season caliber team, all five starters should have ERAs of less than 4.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

Tim Wakefield has 86.1 inning pitched so far this year. there are only 2 pitchers that have pitched more on the Red Sox Beckett and Lester. He is an important piece to keep the ship going in the right direction. Who could we get that keeps most games in a position for the Red Sox to win for the price they pay Wake.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Softy, I'm happy for you that Wakefield tossed a stinker last night. Not that you need any fuel for your rants, but Tim lived down to your expectation of him. Now you can cleverly type "wastefield" over and over to everyone's amusement; in fact I'm almost soiling myself laughing so hard at that clever nickname. As for Tek, he did just catch 16 scoreless innings the night before and deliver the sacrifice bunt which helped score the winning run. But you'll continue to rail on him, Ellsbury, Tim and Lowrie because that's all you do. Not even one iota of enjoyment watching a terrific first place team; sad, very sad.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]   All you Wake supporters do realizethat runs are trending downward across the board in MLB, so if Tim is approaching his lifetime averages he is really continueing his downward slide, and if was a starter on say the Mariners, A's, etc he would have a losing record because the offense couldn't bail him out. He had a nice little run, but like Lowrie, play them when hot, but be quick with the hook when the law of diminishing returns takes effect.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

All you Wake denouncers do realize that Wake pitches in the toughest division on the planet - in a hitter's venue.
    You quote ERA like it's etched in stone. My my, what would it be if he were pitching in the retirement league, where CAM resides...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: We are so blessed to have Old Man Wakefield and his ERA of 5 : I'm not stressed at all dude.  Why would you think I was stressed just because I like calling you out when you say ridiculous things? Anyway what part of they needed to pitch Aceves in the previous nights 16 inning game to win eludes you?  You're the one that said you could manage the Red Sox not me.  If you are going to be grandiose then go all the way with it man.  They couldnt save Aceves because they needed him the night before.  Because the game went 16 innings. and oh yeah Aceves also got the win.  My lord this is like talking to a child.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

snake...you're not calling anyone out excerpt your miserable self...why are on these boards again? to get angry at people? to police people? youre a joke with nothing to offer - like a vulture you just wait for someone else to post to do your Pike thing...oh yea, youre not Pike...yea ok....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Wake should reside in the retirement league, too. He would if he looked like Cameron.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Lame.